• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Thinks have been picking up lately. I got Quark, Alice, and Sigma's endings back to back to back tonight.... well... this morning, since it's almost 4 AM now >_>

I really like the whole
meta jumping mechanic and how it ties into the game's story, and as you progress further in the game you find yourself utilizing the jump on a more frequent basis.

Jintor

Yep. If you compare the art for Akane to the sprite, the actual face is completely different.

tumblr_m8tiflcTNk1qexdrg.gif

Doesn't matter though, they still looked good.

tumblr_m8tifwunD71qexdrg.gif

Thoraxes

Welp, just got the
Clover
ending.

First time i've felt mindfucked playing this game this far and I have only completed 2 routes...

I was laughing about the outcome and then that image popped on screen and my brain went
in my throat and my throat went in my stomach and wut why wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat nooooooooooooooooo and then no noo nooo noooo nooooo whyyyyyyyyyy stooooooooooopppppppppppp

Welp, just got the
Clover
ending.

First time i've felt mindfucked playing this game this far and I have only completed 2 routes...

I was laughing about the outcome and then that image popped on screen and my brain went
in my throat and my throat went in my stomach and wut why wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat nooooooooooooooooo and then no noo nooo noooo nooooo whyyyyyyyyyy stooooooooooopppppppppppp
You have a quite a bit more in store. :D

Three Things!

1. So today I switched to the Japanese voice acting and it was super impressive! The mouth movement for the characters also matches what they say pretty much perfectly (not that it bothers me with the English voices)

2. I don’t understand why Tenmyouji
would trust Clover. I mean sure they played the last Nonary Game, but didn’t clover hack him with an axe?! Why the hell would you trust her Tenmyouji?
Seems a little bit odd to me.

3. The whole three people were
in three pods is an interesting development. Clover must be one of them, and another should be Alice – but.....can someone refresh me on what’s up with Alice’s body?
I forgot the details.

Jintor

2. I don’t understand why Tenmyouji
would trust Clover. I mean sure they played the last Nonary Game, but didn’t clover hack him with an axe?! Why the hell would you trust her Tenmyouji?
Seems a little bit odd to me.

That never happened.
Remember that June was projecting into possible futures, so the only path that actually occurred was the True Path

Uh, I mean

tumblr_m8ti3qR8761qexdrg.gif

She's sorry about what she did :(

Lusankya

Oh duh! Stupid me! Thanks!

Also, those Clover gif's = ♥

Clover in general is just ♥. I never understood why many people only think of her as an axe murderer.

However the sad Clover gif is kinda creepy, because her hands are so tiny and her right arm looks like it's broken. o_O

Dantis

Clover was great in 999, but I hated her in VLR. Really awful character and really awful design.

I found most of the characters unlikeable in VLR, actually. Didn't bring the story down though, and Sigma and Phi were still great.

Unlikeable characters fit the M/O of the Ambidex game a lot better though.
Eh, I think the majority of the VLR cast is great. There's really only one of them I don't care for at all.
Dio, for pretty obvious reasons. Clover, Quark and Tenmyouji are alright, but I really like Sigma, Phi, Luna, Alice & K.

Overall I have more favorites in VLR than in 999, but I don't really consider them as competing groups.

Jintor

Well, 999 only had eight characters and you got to spend more time with each of them, so I think it had a natural advantage anyway.

tumblr_m8tgo70hfU1qexdrg.gif

Javier

Got my first actual ending. The Clover ending.

My first "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED" moment for this game.

I liked that
we got a great recap of what happened to Clover between games
but I wasn't a fan of
the game just casually dropping one of the biggest spoilers for 999. Makes the whole "you don't need to play 999 to enjoy this" thing like a load of bull.

As for the last part,
Everyone is dead, except for K and Quark. Quark was still in the pods so it couldn't be him... but where the hell did K go? What the hell was up with Phi when Sigma ran into her before he found the corpses? And how did Phi go from looking like shit to being dead among the others? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Torraz

Clover was great in 999, but I hated her in VLR. Really awful character and really awful design.

I found most of the characters unlikeable in VLR, actually. Didn't bring the story down though, and Sigma and Phi were still great.

Around 25 hours in and I have to agree so far. Having more likable characters could have made "betray" during the ambidex round be much more of a mindfuck.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just finished the game. I really love how the story is structured and that they sometimes give you those little revelations (as in some of the stuff you can probably guess before it's revealed), only to then blow your mind with the bigger picture.
There were two puzzle solutions I still don't get and only found out by guessing (especially the gold file in
the infirmary
and the normal solution in
the crew quarters
, but I guess that's just me being stupid.
What I really didn't like was the overuse of "Morphogenetic Sorrow". That song belongs to a special scene in 999 and should stay there.

Jintor

You know it's actually the series' main theme right? It shows up in both the Main theme for 999 and in Virtue Is Its Last Reward, and it's the little sting played when you finish a room. If you're speaking about the track itself, I think it only plays once in VLR in its entirety, and the moment is super relevant.

Dantis

What I really didn't like was the overuse of "Morphogenetic Sorrow". That song belongs to a special scene in 999 and should stay there.

Doesn't it just play the orchestral one once, and that's during the credits? And the piano version only plays
in a scene relating to Akane? Though I don't recall which.

Either way, it didn't bother me too much. It's by far the best track across both games.

You know it's actually the series' main theme right? It shows up in both the Main theme for 999 and in Virtue Is Its Last Reward, and it's the little sting played when you finish a room. If you're speaking about the track itself, I think it only plays once in VLR in its entirety, and the moment is super relevant.

Nope. They start the same, but that's all. They're very different tracks. (I'm referring to the 999 main theme by the way)

Jucksalbe

Banned

Yeah, I know. Could have sworn the track was in more than one scene, but anyway, it's not really important. The game's great.

Jintor

Yeah, I know. Could have sworn the track was in more than one scene, but anyway, it's not really important. The game's great.

They use it in a couple of tracks.

I really like Ambidex being a remix of Unary game...

Oh. Okay, that's actually a waste.

Should have played
in the epilogue when you meet the young Akane

They use VLR's Confession track instead.

Torraz

Haven't had too many "action" scenes yet, but while the general (atmospheric) OST is fantastic, that part of the OST could be better, like with 999.

Still, very much enjoying the game!

I have two spoilerly questions: I'd be really appreciative for some low-spoiler answers:

1. regarding left-most path
Regarding the director's room password. In what way do I receive it? As part of a (gold) file or during a normal conversation = it isn't recorded? Are the user name / password combination explicitly named?
Please only indicate yes/no~ish, no concrete answers as to which path/scene the answers are found in.

2. regarding true ending path: Are there provisions/locks/whatever that prevent one from accidentally stumbling upon the true end? I would like to do that one last. Do I need to actively avoid the path or will the game not allow me to reach the true end without having completed all the other paths?

If there is no protection against accidentally stumbling upon the path, could someone tell me which path it is?

Thanks a lot.

Jintor

You will know. Make your own notes. The true end requires all other substantial endings first (bad ends are excluded).

Don't worry, he's wrong anyway... OR IS HE?

there that should reset your brain

LOL, thanks for the effort, but I know deep down that he’s right. Hopefully it wasn’t a big deal and it gets revealed soon. I should probably try harder and avoid this thread! -_-

cj_iwakura

Yoooooo. Wassuuuuuuuuuuuuup? Siggyyyyyy! Phidoooooooo!

Best line in the game.
Who did that voice, anyway?

And I've been impressed by the 3d models so far, especially how they carried over some of Clover's mannerisms from 999. Still a bit lacking, but far better than I was fearing.

Dantis

Best line in the game.
Who did that voice, anyway?

And I've been impressed by the 3d models so far, especially how they carried over some of Clover's mannerisms from 999. Still a bit lacking, but far better than I was fearing.

Cindy Robinson. Makoto/Labrys.

And yeah, she's amazing in this.

Midou

Around 25 hours in and I have to agree so far. Having more likable characters could have made "betray" during the ambidex round be much more of a mindfuck.

I think it's kind of a natural occurrence of it being a prisoner's dilemma that makes characters not trust each other and leads to how they act in the game. There are certainly times where picking betray made me feel bad, even outside of
Luna

Roubjon

I'm on the home stretch now and should probably finish the game by today.

Something I really, really like is how Sigma pulls together his memories from every different timeline. The way he does it is exactly the same way that we do it as the player. We remember certain specific events and details, but we have no idea when in time it happened because we've seen so much stuff and it all kind of blends together. So whenever he has one of those premonitions, we basically feel the same exact way Sigma does. I think it is incredibly well done.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. Everything is tying together at this point but there are still some major questions unanswered.

Dantis

I'm on the home stretch now and should probably finish the game by today.

Something I really, really like is how Sigma pulls together his memories from every different timeline. The way he does it is exactly the same way that we do it as the player. We remember certain specific events and details, but we have no idea when in time it happened because we've seen so much stuff and it all kind of blends together. So whenever he has one of those premonitions, we basically feel the same exact way Sigma does. I think it is incredibly well done.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. Everything is tying together at this point but there are still some major questions unanswered.

The final ending is tremendous. I wasn't convinced by the story at all until I watched the final ending, and then I was just like "Oh, SNAP!".

Roubjon

Also I have to mention, the fact that they managed to squeeze 30 hours of gameplay here is pretty outstanding. I don't even remember where all the time went and for the most part none of it felt like filler at all, because it isn't; it's basically all essential to the story. I guess I'm just amazed at a 30 hour long story in a video game. I guess I understand why they are called visual novels now, lol.

Trigger

Just started. The game has been pretty damn good. I love Phi and Sigma's conversations, and Zero III is actually sorta funny despite the puns.

Dantis

Also I have to mention, the fact that they managed to squeeze 30 hours of gameplay here is pretty outstanding. I don't even remember where all the time went and for the most part none of it felt like filler at all, because it isn't; it's basically all essential to the story. I guess I'm just amazed at a 30 hour long story in a video game. I guess I understand why they are called visual novels now, lol.

Yeah. Took me nearly 38 hours for everything.

Very, very impressive.

Persona Arena, take note. This is how interesting visual novels are done.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Short question about the Vita version: I noticed that the game save doesn't appear in the content manager like my other games do. Does this mean this game saves on the game card?
And what will happen when I try to start it from another account? Now that I'm done with the game, I wanted to switch the Vita to my girlfriend's account and let her play, but I don't want to lose my save.

GSR

Oh. Okay, that's actually a waste.

Should have played
in the epilogue when you meet the young Akane

They played it three times if memory serves:

• Luna explaining Akane's death in her ending
  • Akane telling Tenmyouji to wait a little longer in the Q room
  • Sigma looking out the window in End or Beginning and seeing the reactors exploding

And of course they play the piano/orchestral versions over the ending credits.

Dantis

They played it three times if memory serves:

• Luna explaining Akane's death in her ending
  • Akane telling Tenmyouji to wait a little longer in the Q room
  • Sigma looking out the window in End or Beginning and seeing the reactors exploding

And of course they play the piano/orchestral versions over the ending credits.

Man, what a great game.

Game of the year? Quite possibly.

Venfayth

I think Pantry, Clarification and Blue Bird Lamentation are my favorite songs from this OST.

Fucking... Luna ;_;

edit: Damnit, last post on the page. Someone quote me so that my post can live on!

edit2: DAMNIT CHICKDIGGER

Top Bottom