• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering Kirkman hopes for the comics to reach issue 300, and in the show, we haven't even reached the events of issue 100, it's kind of early to think about how the series would end.

I certainly don't think they'll find a cure. Ideally, the best case scenario would be a new government forming to rebuild society on a large scale. Worse case, we get an adult Carl and older Judith in a ravaged world, continuing the bleak struggle for survival, Road style

Well, I think the show is going to end [or at least the story of the characters we're following] long before the comic ends. That's why I think it's worth discussing.

dustyherb

Ideally, the best case scenario would be a new government forming to rebuild society on a large scale.
This is what I figure the endgame is. In some form civilization is rebuilt and the people in this world push forward even with the threat of zombies and turning into one always being there. Alexandria is the start of a community and in any apocalypse secanario there's going to be a time when it comes to start thinking about rebuilding and starting everything over.

Or like you said a super depressing ending with Carl being a lone wander in a horrible world. That just sounds to damn sad tho even for a show like this lol.

Well, I think the show is going to end [or at least the story of the characters we're following] long before the comic ends. That's why I think it's worth discussing.
Hell no, AMC is going to keep this train going for as long as they can. It's one of the most watched shows on TV and it constantly has been scoring some of the highest ratings in the post pivotal demographics. They'd have no reason to want to end it early if they can keep drawing from the comics for source material.

I'm just thinking, if Supernatural can get 11 seasons, I think Walking Dead, the record breaker of the cable tv world, certainly can get at least 10 or 11 seasons. The actor playing Carl would be 20 years old then. I wonder if they'll time jump so the character can be the same age

Hell no, AMC is going to keep this train going for as long as they can. It's one of the most watched shows on TV and it constantly has been scoring some of the highest ratings in the post pivotal demographics. They'd have no reason to want to end it early if they can keep drawing from the comics for source material.

The show will keep going, that doesn't mean the actors will want to keep going five years from now.

I'm saying the story as we know it [following Rick Grimes and his gang.connection to comics] will probably end in the show before the comic ends. AMC could go on and do their own thing with the show at that point, it'll still bring in ratings because it has The Walking Dead in the name.

BBboy20

Was this better than the chain zombie kills?
No since we didn't see the rocket fly into them.

bear mcreary music pretty good this episode
The low-key techno music and the morale talk was straight-up Resident Evil.

they killed the bae...

her kid ain't shit

but not the bae
The writers knew both Sam and Ron were shit but drama still had to be maintained.

Holy shit. Bodies everywhere. Carl needs an eyepatch now
Punished Carl.

Carl going full Metal Gear now!
Little Carl

Great ep except for a two little things I thought were weird.

1. Maggie could have sat on top of the fence if and when the wooden tower fell. No need for Glenn to do what he did.

2. The oil, fire, rocket launcher thing seemed pointless. Just run them over in the truck or get into the combat with everyone else.
1. Glenn had no reason to corner himself there. Who does that when a large noise was enough?

2. Hell, may as well toss in a cigarette lighter from that truck but they obviously knew what they were doing.

Thanks, probably one of my favorite scenes from the series. With the music and everything it made it perfect.
Ultimaetly, that moment was never going to be deserved because dumbassery is not a tribulation worth to be proud in triumphing over.

Was that doctor just an amateur they picked off the street or was it a legitimate actress? Because that was some next-level bad acting.
Emmy winner.

HOLY SHIT AT CARL SCENE , THAT WAS FREAKY

i intently jumped scarred because of it , well done AMC..well done.

also , had to make this joke

BGyjNCH.jpg
he can play Snake Eater 3D on that device. >=D

dustyherb

I'm just thinking, if Supernatural can get 11 seasons, I think Walking Dead, the record breaker of the cable tv world, certainly can get at least 10 or 11 seasons. The actor playing Carl would be 20 years old then. I wonder if they'll time jump so the character can be the same age
The writers wanna get 11 or 12 seasons out of this show. I read an interview a few months ago with Greg Nicotero talking about it. If season 6 finale is issue 100 then season 12 could end on 200. This show is going to go on for a while either way.

I think the show will end like this: did. No cure, and civilization is still nothing but a memory. But humanity will adapt and continue surviving in small settlements like Alexandria. There may be increased trade and cooperation between neighboring settlements.

Or some kid might eventually be born that has immunity to the virus, and his/her genes will pass down and gradually restore the world to normal. That would be too predictable and easy though. Even moreso if it ends up being Judith (maybe that's why they've kept her alive).

If Carol dies I'll be sad but I won't be surprised. The writers love to kill characters after they've become stronger. Carol was overdue to be killed off by now after her transformation in the last few seasons. I hope it doesn't happen because she's my favorite character. Her threat to kill Pete was one of the best moments on the show. "Come at me. No? Yeah? No." Lmao.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Some of the editing in the episode was awful. The flashbacks and cut to red around one character was so poorly done. Then that rapid montage of them all fighting was terrible. I hope they never do that again.

From the very beginning of the episode I was like "this director is directing too hard."

jerry113

Banned
This was the only scene where I felt Enid and Glenn were working on screen. I like how mature Enid is. The actress deserves some credit.

This show usually drops the ball when it comes to characters giving unbelievable morality speeches. But the one that Glenn gave worked on me because of the name drops of the deceased - I like that Glenn has Dale fondly in mind.

I think the show will end in the same way TLOU did. No cure, and civilization is still nothing but a memory. But humanity will adapt and continue surviving in small settlements like Alexandria. There may be increased trade and cooperation between neighboring settlements.

Yeah, I think it'll be something like this. Here's my ideal ending for [Rick and his gang] will end which encompasses the whole increased trade/cooperation thing.

It started with Rick, it'll end with him. I think by the time the final season arrives Rick's metal state will have become so corrupted by the brutal world that the line between friend and foe will blur and become indistinguishable. The change will be gradual for believability but I think it will happen over the course of time. Sure, he may seem like back on the path of Sheriff now but we're going to see Rick as a character shift more and more into an antagonist me thinks.

I think we're going to see some brutal and unnecessary stuff from him as time goes on even moreso then now. The brutality of the world in combination with meeting people like The Governor, Negan and other vicious human beings will slowly change his ideals, methods to ultimately transform him into [from the groups eyes] a threat, a threat to everything he and the group have built up and achieved. I truly believe this is how Rick's story arc will go in the long-run. At the end of the series it'll be clear that while he managed to beat all his enemies, create and maintain community and garner the respect of many... the world had beat him.

The final antagonist will be the last nail in the coffin, the trigger for this transformation for Rick to go all the way... this ruthless antagonist will push him to this state. Rick will kill the antagonist in the end but not just at a sacrifice but many unnecessary sacrifices. He's going to do something which he deems justifiable because it got the job done that the group deem as unforgivable. There won't be no 'cliche' redemption here.

This is where the rest of the group will come into play but primarily his son, Carl. Throughout the series in both the show and comic we've seen him make questionable decisions and you would think because of those decisions and how his arc as progressed that he'd be the one to become the "threat" - but I actually think he's stronger than Rick in some ways. He will take matters into his own hand, shoulder the burden himself and kill his Father. While Rick gave into the world, Carl won't. "You will beat this world" - Lori Grimes

We see Rick's death from his POV, it pans on Carl picking up the Colt Python and shooting him in the head. Rick smiles at the end, knowing that Carl did the right thing and that he can finally be at peace.

Flash Forward 15 years

Alexandria or whatever community they now call home will be huge. Great walls spanning a sizeable distance, serving as protection for a couple thousand people. Big expansions, many houses, electricity, defence force and other mounted defences. This won't be Alexandria 2.0, a town trying to rekindle what it was like before - this will be a community that has fully embraced what a post-apocalyptic community needs to be.

The community will have an improved council, built by Michonne. She'll oversee a lot of what goes through Alexandria and forwards any potential issues to the council where they can discuss the matter at hand. Michonne at this point is highly respected, as is Sasha, Eugene, and others that are also on the council. They would have introduced many rules such as everyone must sleep with one hand being handcuffed to help defend from unsuspecting death/walker reanimations.

Eugene beyond the council will be the man behind long-communication with allied communities. He'll have his own 'business' and handle the most important technology advancements within the community.

Sasha will be the commander of the defence force, alongside Aaron and Enid. They'll be responsible for defending the community, improving relations with near-by settlements. Securing trade-routes and their outposts.

Finally, Carl's role is outside the walls. While he was offered a spot on the council, he turns it down and instead is focused on improving relations on a much larger scale. Showing other communities that they can do the same. People will know of him, in a John Connor esque way.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
They really need to do a better job of showing the transition from day to night. It was laughable how it transitioned so fast, looking like it took them hours to walk across Alexandria.

dustyherb

Yeah, I think it'll be something like this. Here's my ideal ending for [Rick and his gang] will end which encompasses the whole increased trade/cooperation thing.
Ya this is pretty damn close to how I imagine things as well. There's no way Rick comes to the end of this long journey and survives. Even if he somehow remains a "good" guy till the very end I think everything will be too much for him. All this leading of people since he woke from his coma and his constant battles are going to take their toll eventually.

And what you said with Carl is spot on I think also. He will become the main hero/character and use everything he's learned from his dad all the people he's seen die etc and become the ultimate leader for the new world.

Considering Kirkman hopes for the comics to reach issue 300, and in the show, we haven't even reached the events of issue 100, it's kind of early to think about how the series would end.

I certainly don't think they'll find a cure. Ideally, the best case scenario would be a new government forming to rebuild society on a large scale. Worse case, we get an adult Carl and older Judith in a ravaged world, continuing the bleak struggle for survival, Road style
really? So that means there's still a whole bunch of stuff in the comics, passed negan, that still hadn't occurred in the tv show

really? So that means there's still a whole bunch of stuff in the comics, passed negan, that still hadn't occurred in the tv show

There's stuff, but I expect that at some point in the next two seasons, the TV show will overtake the book material and AMC will start writing new storylines that are wholly original.

I don't see them ending this show without some sort of massive battle with walkers. Whether Rick dies or not is irrelevant. I expect it to be something that the show builds up towards and has a definite sense of finality, but also a hopeful tone (either they find a cure, or society is explicitly shown to start pulling together in a much larger way than what we saw last night).

RootCause

They really need to do a better job of showing the transition from day to night. It was laughable how it transitioned so fast, looking like it took them hours to walk across Alexandria.
That's one of my biggest issue last night. It felt like they took hours just to move a little bit. Also, every one that stayed put didn't even get attacked by the walkers. It made it look like they could've all survived had they stayed put inside a house.

Fun episode though, I was pretty shocked by the Carl scene(yes, I don't read the comics). Best episode of the season. The next couple of episodes will be slower, that's for sure.

dustyherb

Yep there's a whole lot of comic material to still cover.
Major recent comic spoilers - don't read if you want major spoilers.
after the war with Negan comes the whisperers who is led by the first female villain alpha. They're a massive group of people who wear zombie skins and have their own personal herd of walkers to blend in. The battle with them is just starting to get really going in the comics. And Rick has proposed a plan to build a legit army between all of the communitys to take them on.

Considering the events of the mid season premiere and where that is in the comics, I'd say there are at least another 1.5 or 2 seasons before catching up to the current comics (issue #151)

SamuraiX-

fucking lol, im in as long as my bro abraham is

animation11hqm0.gif

This was one of the biggest things that bothered me this ep. Sasha firing that assault rifle like a fucking uzi. I mean, they were supposed to be portraying that as sharpshooting that picked off walkers that were centimeters from nawing Glenn's face off. She's not even pretending to use the scope! Did seriously nobody consider doing a second take?

Whatever though. Good ol' Abe not giving that shit a chance to linger with his god-like, scene-stealing charisma.

RDreamer

Just finished it and have yet to read the posts here, but my first thought is: what the fuck is up with the day to night transition. Did it really take them like half a fucking day to walk around Alexandria and not even get out? It was bright as fuck out and then pitch black. What the hell?

Yep there's a whole lot of comic material to still cover.
Major recent comic spoilers - don't read if you want major spoilers.
after the war with Negan comes the whisperers who is led by the first female villain alpha. They're a massive group of people who wear zombie skins and have their own personal herd of walkers to blend in. The battle with them is just starting to get really going in the comics. And Rick has proposed a plan to build a legit army between all of the communitys to take them on.
Dang these guys sound like no joke. Too bad it will be a while before we see them on tv

This was one of the biggest things that bothered me this ep. Sasha firing that assault rifle like a fucking uzi. I mean, they were supposed to be portraying that as sharpshooting that picked off walkers that were centimeters from nawing Glenn's face off. She's not even pretending to use the scope! Did seriously nobody consider doing a second take?

Whatever though. Good ol' Abe not giving that shit a chance to linger with his god-like, scene-stealing charisma.
you can only get that perfect Abraham reaction once lol

DavidDesu

Not gonna read much here, worried about spoilers from comic folks... but damn this weeks episode was on a different level. Absolutely incredible. Intense as all hell, I welled up for considerable parts of this, then when the shit really started hitting the fan I actually thought it was some kind of nightmare sequence and somebody would wake up and that this wasn't actually happening, then the realisation set in... wow. Season 6 has been hands down the best season yet by a country mile, every episode bar maybe one or two have been top notch. The Morgan episode while agonising for delaying finding out about Glenn, was right up there too.

Wow. This season has been epic. Amazing television.

LifEndz

comic spoilers

does anyone else think that Daryl is gonna
take Glenn's place when the hammer falls?

I don't think the show has the guts to do that.
Daryl is probably right up there with Rick and Michonne in terms of plot armor. But they've been teasing Glen's death for awhile now. Maybe to prepare the audience for it. And since they had Carl get shot, maybe they're back to following major events from the comic exactly as they played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom