• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching this episode was great.

My roomate went "I wish that anoying boy would die" and he got bit. Then the mom starts freaking out and he goes "she can die too" and almost instantly she gets bitten!

And I love how all the bikers watching in their direction didn't see Darryl!
He killed him at the back of the truck, and everyone was focused on the two in front of them. Stab him and kill him with a knife. I feel like some of you are trying to look for things that bother you.

What a great episode, but knowing how the walking dead usually plays out, there will be 2-3 good episodes and the rest will be boring. I'd like them to prove me wrong.

harSon

Banned
If we could reduce The Walking Dead to its season premiers and finales, it'd be one of the best shows of all time.

Let us pray for the episodes in between :(

PaulBizkit

TWD fan pages on facebook are a complete spoiler hazard...

All the nerds that read the comic are telling everything about Negan and Corl's eye.

Great episode btw, all the action and characters dying was awesome. I hope this second half doesn't have those 1-2 episodes that are complete filler (like the fifth episode of the first halfI).

Alpende

Watched it yesterday and though it was pretty good. Really great to see they did the Carl thing in live action, they handled it well. Also glad they got rid of the family in one go instead of having Jessie or that brother sulk for another couple of episodes. Lincoln's acting was on point I thought, the moment Jessie got bitten and him going ham were great.

Did think it was kinda odd for the Alexandrians to turn into zombie killing machines with no fear after no practice whatsoever.

He was doing fine until he had a flashback of what Carol said to him, and she only said that to scare the shit out of him after she got caught creepin'. If you watch the scene again it's like watching a chain reaction, up until Carl gets shot. Trace the chain of events back to the source, and you can see a critical flaw in Carol's logic.

Watched it yesterday and though it was pretty good. Really great to see they did the Carl thing in live action, they handled it well. Also glad they got rid of the family in one go instead of having Jessie or that brother sulk for another couple of episodes. Lincoln's acting was on point I thought, the moment Jessie got bitten and him going ham were great.

Did think it was kinda odd for the Alexandrians to turn into zombie killing machines with no fear after no practice whatsoever.

Didn't Rick take some of them for gun training early in the season? Although he wasn't teaching them hand to hand I'm sure they learned some off screen. That in combination with a speech every episode probably did the job!

dustyherb

Didn't Rick take some of them for gun training early in the season? Although he wasn't teaching them hand to hand I'm sure they learned some off screen. That in combination with a speech every episode probably did the job!
Lol there was also Rosita doing machete training in like episode 7 as well. When she made fun of Eugene.

Surfinn

Watched the episode last night..

It's a huge improvement over the mid season finale, and there were some moments which were among the best TWD has to offer (as a show), but it still suffered from a lot of the same issues we've seen throughout the series.

Still too many characters we don't give a shit about who defy logic and reasoning. Still have great characters making silly, laughable decisions/trusting and helping horribly weak characters who've proven time and time again they're a danger to everyone (Glenn helping Nick and Enid (immediately after essentially rising from the dead), Rick trusting Gabriel with his daughter's life). Still stuff that happens with almost no explanation or realistic continuation of events; although I love Daryl's rocket to the group of bikers, the fact that he was able to wrestle down/aim the launcher at them without their knowledge feels unreasonable. Would have loved to at least see their reaction right before he aims and fires. Still horribly weak dialogue (biker scene) and acting (Rosita) with characters we don't care about/end up not giving a damn about when they die.

Considering where we came from and where we're going with this episode, there's lots of promise. After a very weak first half (rocket shot aside), the episode picked up steam and delivered some of the best content we've seen from the show in a long time.

Bright future, but let's just hope the weaknesses of the show are finally starting to be phased out. We need more likable characters and better logic/decision making from our favorites. And a return to excellent writing/dialogue.

Strong overall start.

hokahey

We need more likable characters and better logic/decision making from our favorites. And a return to excellent writing/dialogue.

Strong overall start.

I have a feeling you and those that share your opinion are going to continue to be disappointed.

This is bubble gum drama based on a comic. It's pulp. You're always going to have a cartoony element juxtaposed against zombie horror.

Not to say it couldn't be done better, but the show is what it is. And I don't see that changing.

Surfinn

I have a feeling you and those that share your opinion are going to continue to be disappointed.

This is bubble gum drama based on a comic. It's pulp. You're always going to have a cartoony element juxtaposed against zombie horror.

Not to say it couldn't be done better, but the show is what it is. And I don't see that changing.

I disagree. Season 1 and 2 (even with its dead in the water pacing) had much better dialogue, likable, believable and smarter characters than Season 3-6 combined. I hated the pacing of S2, but its character development and writing were much better than what came after. I could watch S1/2 anytime, whereas it's much harder for me to watch any of the others again, aside from some of Season 5, which was a welcome return to form in MANY ways, even if it had some of those same glaring issues.

Surfinn

It's been a long time coming.

untitled-1i5s04.png

Felt like this scene was done SO much better in the comic. Didn't even look like the kid fired in his direction? I'll have to rewatch.

Didn't like the execution, which felt flat/awkwardly cut, loved Rick's reaction though. He carries the show with his acting alone.

Felt like this scene was done SO much better in the comic. Didn't even look like the kid fired in his direction? I'll have to rewatch.

Didn't like the execution, which felt flat/awkwardly cut, loved Rick's reaction though. He carries the show with his acting alone.

When Michonne stabbed Ron, his arm swayed from pointing at Rick to Carl's direction and the gun fired.

I thought this was shot pretty well. I love how we only see blood steaming down his face first and as he turns and lifts up his head we see the wound.

Surfinn

When Michonne stabbed Ron, his arm swayed from pointing at Rick to Carl's direction and the gun fired.

I thought this was shot pretty well. I love how we only see blood steaming down his face first and as he turns and lifts up his head we see the wound.

I'll watch it again. The second half of the episode was overall very well done.

near

Gold Member

I agree with you to some extent but it's completely fair to want characters that make logical decisions and suffer consequences logically at every turn. The series has been completely yo-yo like in terms of its drama and science fictional elements. The first 2 seasons had a very good balance while the rest up until now haven't been able to find that balance. The series for me has been successful because of it's drama and characters not because of the zombies, that is part of the setting which drives the story. Like, people just wanting a zombie series will find most episodes boring and uneventful, while those that appreciate the drama and character study aspect as each episode unfolds will find the series enjoyable without the constant zombie attacks. With that said, its understandable why Glenn isn't as tactical as he use to be and is willing to risk he's life as he's experienced so many near death scenarios that he's fearless and willing to subject himself as bait. Or how Carol has become cold hearted, pessimistic, cruel minded, and relentless in her decisions even if she's wrong, because that's part of the evolution of her character. That's why the writing needs to be consistent. I try to watch every episode with the idea that it's just a zombie series, but it's so much more than that.

Finalow

the only good part was Daryl upgrading his arsenal to a bazooka, he probably can't keep destroying tanks with just grenades and crossbows.
after that, a lot of pointless yapping followed by the writers deciding to remind the viewers (you never know, people might forget what they're watching) how dumb the show is. I *also* missed the upgrade of the ''im not really a doctor guyz'' whatever girl to a skilled surgeon, but maybe she got that from reading 5 pages of some random medicine book, that's how it works I believe.

Surfinn

I agree with you to some extent but it's completely fair to want characters that make logical decisions and suffer consequences logically at every turn. The series has been completely yo-yo like in terms of its drama and science fictional elements. The first 2 seasons had a very good balance while the rest up until now haven't been able to find that balance. The series for me has been successful because of it's drama and characters not because of the zombies, that is part of the setting which drives the story. Like, people just wanting a zombie series will find most episodes boring and uneventful, while those that appreciate the drama and character study aspect as each episode unfolds will find the series enjoyable without the constant zombie attacks. With that said, its understandable why Glenn isn't as tactical as he use to be and is willing to risk he's life as he's experienced so many near death scenarios that he's fearless and willing to subject himself as bait. Or how Carol has become cold hearted, pessimistic, cruel minded, and relentless in her decisions even if she's wrong, because that's part of the evolution of her character. That's why the writing needs to be consistent. I try to watch every episode with the idea that it's just a zombie series, but it's so much more than that.

Well said. This is what I was trying to say. This show can't be excused away as "it's just a zombie show guys" because it was SO much more than that in its first two seasons (with the exception of some of Dale's melodrama, which detracted from the quality just a bit).

If that's all you expect from the show there's no reason for the writers to try any harder to improve its quality.

Can someone spoiler tag what the bolded is insuating?

Comic Spoilers

Carl was already cool in the comics but when he loses his eye he ascends. There's a reason why he's one of the most beloved characters despite just having well written development, he's utterly badass and not in the superhero Daryl way. He can actually be quite scary.

He's very "real" TV Carl has said how it is with truth bombs for the longest time but we're probably going to see this kicked up a notch or two. Like his comic counter-part he won't be sugar coating anything.

As said above. He can be quite 'scary' - Even the upcoming super antagonist said it himself, "Carl, I won't lie. You scare the fucking shit out of me" as he mows down Negan's men with a Machine gun. There's moments where everyone seems intimidated by Negan and yet Carl is looking at him dead in the eye. Negan has a special kind of respect for Carl that nobody else has earned.

More recently in the comic, he and his friend were attacked by these two teenagers wanting revenge. Carl lost his shit and went ham on the two teenagers with a Shovel, almost killing them.

He literally doesn't take shit from anyone. If it matches up you won't be seeing Carl giving people like Ron a second chance anymore. He'll become cooler and much more ruthless.

hokahey

I disagree. Season 1 and 2 (even with its dead in the water pacing) had much better dialogue, likable, believable and smarter characters than Season 3-6 combined. I hated the pacing of S2, but its character development and writing were much better than what came after. I could watch S1/2 anytime, whereas it's much harder for me to watch any of the others again, aside from some of Season 5, which was a welcome return to form in MANY ways, even if it had some of those same glaring issues.

Maybe I need to re-watch some seasons, but it feels as equally dumb yet fun as hell as ever.

Surfinn

Maybe I need to re-watch some seasons, but it feels as equally dumb yet fun as hell as ever.

You do. The characters are smarter and the writing is of MUCH higher quality.

It's just a much, much better show. Everything seems to fall apart in S3 (although they are some fantastic episodes).

So basically
ruthless Season 3 Carl but more ruthless

Kinda. S3 Carl is somewhat a "What If" - like how would Carl have been if Rick didn't step up his parenting game during S4.

I see Carl's loss of eye as him finally accepting what the world wants him to be, not what his Father wants him to be and this time no amount of farming, guidance or whatever will bring him back from that.

near

Gold Member
Well said. This is what I was trying to say. This show can't be excused away as "it's just a zombie show guys" because it was SO much more than that in its first two seasons (with the exception of some of Dale's melodrama, which detracted from the quality just a bit).

If that's all you expect from the show there's no reason for the writers to try any harder to improve its quality.

It's definitely more than just a zombie series, it way more than that which is why when I notice a decline in narrative I get really disappointed. But there's hope! I was so glad that they killed off Jessie, Ron and Sam, I actually loooved that scene, best part of the episode.

I kinda disagree to be honest.

I think S1 is very overrated. Behind the Darabont nostalgia is a plethora of problems just like in the other seasons.

If there's one thing I think that was noticeable better its the cinematography. That's where Darabont really shined in the first season.

Kinda. S3 Carl is somewhat a "What If" - like how would Carl have been if Rick didn't step up his parenting game during S4.

I see Carl's loss of eye as him finally accepting what the world wants him to be, not what his Father wants him to be and this time no amount of farming, guidance or whatever will bring him back from that.
You could see that they were already planting the seeds this season,
mainly with Carl not immediately shooting the Wolf during "JSS" and Carl not killing Ron in the house during the mid-season finale. So his change in the second half will be much more pronounced

You could see that they were already planting the seeds this season,
mainly with Carl not immediately shooting the Wolf during "JSS" and Carl not killing Ron in the house during the mid-season finale. So his change in the second half will be much more pronounced

Agreed. It should be handled pretty well since its not like Carl hasn't tried to make his Father happy with this pre-apocalypse life style. All that is off the table now though, hopefully Rick accepts that.

Surfinn

It's definitely more than just a zombie series, it way more than that which is why when I notice a decline in narrative I get really disappointed. But there's hope! I was so glad that they killed off Jessie, Ron and Sam, I actually loooved that scene, best part of the episode.

Right. And that decision felt a lot like the decision to kill off Andrea. The writers realized the time we've spent with those characters has not only been wasted, but that fans really hate them and want the show to move in another direction.

Laz-E-Boy

I kinda disagree to be honest.

I think S1 is very overrated. Behind the Darabont nostalgia is a plethora of problems just like in the other seasons.

If there's one thing I think that was noticeable better its the cinematography. That's where Darabont really shined in the first season.

I agree. Outside of the first two episodes, Season 1 was crap

I agree. Outside of the first two episodes, Season 1 was crap

I thought the Pilot was great, still the best episode in the series for me. Really just hits every beat.

I liked the second episode "Guts" too and although many didn't like it, I also didn't mind the last episode. The other three though? Please no. I'd rather re-watch the Daryl/Beth episode then rewatch Tell It To The Frogs

near

Gold Member
Right. And that decision felt a lot like the decision to kill off Andrea. The writers realized the time we've spent with those characters has not only been wasted, but that fans really hate them and want the show to move in another direction.

There's that and the fact that they were just trigger characters for certain events to unfold. Ron's vengeance and contentment with the loss of he's father channelled into Carls eye ball. Sam's self-fulfilling prophecy. Jessie and Ricks stupid romance that fuels Rick's super satan mode to help clear the horde. Characters that I hated, that potentially make existing characters evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom