• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol has consistently being among my favorite characters, but I think there is not that much development room for her left.

More importantly, she should die because the group is pretty powerful as it is. It feels that any confrontation with a human enemy, can be eventually be turned around thanks to her. The whole weakling act/predator is just that good.

A reason of why the last chapters have been entertaining; there is the perception that people are going to start dying any moment. I want more of that. A lot more.

*Regarding the murdered guy: I agree, it was pretty damn stupid not to at least interrogate him. He was saying something like "..there is so much to talk, so let's ta.." when Rick pulled the trigger. It's very hard to believe that between all of them, they couldn't have made him give away more info (even if unintentionally). If they so feared an ambush, they could have changed places and put scouts in the perimeter. Now, they have nothing.
I don't think Rick fears anything at this point beyond his son dying. And his arrogance will be his downfall.

I'm gonna assume Maggie miscarries because she got knifed in the stomach, and she also got kicked I think. If not... well, everyone is pretty much unkillable if they're core group members at this point.
well it was stupid of her to go out there in the fucking first place.

Sendero

I don't think Rick fears anything at this point beyond his son dying. And his arrogance will be his downfall.
Of course. Just pointing out that even if you tried to justify it with the "survive at all cost" mindset, it still was amateur hour for everyone.

That to me, is the important part. It's just not Rick. Daryl and Gleen are just as experienced, and have gone against him in the past, when they felt the plan was not ok. Right now, they are just riding on him. Is Eugene with them? Would have expected him to provide some of his famous "strategic" advises at the very least.

Rick is just not taking chances anymore, and he should not. After losing his wife, girlfriend, friends, and almost losing both kids, he just does not care about anything else but their own safety. I would probably behave the same if it was during apocalypse. You can't have conscious during times like that. Look what it did to CArol, she almost died and killed Maggie because of that.

you should follow a certain code, and that is it. not much time for back and forth. You go against my family or friends, you die. follow the code and rules, it will make your life easier.

he id not kill Jesus, for instance. He did not fit the code. he could have killed him, but he didn't. so he is not just a maniac, but if you screw up or threatens their safety/survival, you should die

Who they thought was Negan. But that doesn't mean much when they're all Negan.
Not true Gregory and the hilltop saw exactly who negan was when they said he killed the 16 year old. He could have been more specific too Rick. Rick jumped the gun which coincides with the point I made that his arrogance is getting the best of him.

Sapiens

In this world, at that moment, what else is Rick supposed to do? Rick was smart to off him, but he should have extracted more info first. Maybe he sensed that was a waste of time though. Not worth the risk. Either way, dude needed to go.

-griffy-

Banned
So Negan's the name of the group right? Not a specific person?

The name of the group is the Saviors. It seems they run on an "I'm Spartacus" kind of mentality as far as Negan goes. I assume Negan is actually an individual person (I mean, we know this since they've been so loud about Jeffrey Dean Morgan being cast), but they are all Negan since they are all united in support of him.

dustyherb

Now that I think about it has the show ever had a run of episodes that have been this good before? 5 straight solid episodes hopefully it doesn't slow down and we get 8 straight awesome episodes.

-griffy-

Banned
Now that I think about it has the show ever had a run of episodes that have been this good before? 5 straight solid episodes hopefully it doesn't slow down and we get 8 straight awesome episodes.

Feel like the first half of season 4 was solid, essentially correcting and redo-ing the Governor attacks the prison arc that season 3 botched. Then the end of season 4 and beginning of season 5 with Terminus was solid too. Back half of season 5 got uneven again and that carried over into the first half of season 6. It's kind of like the show goes in "waves" of being good. Like, the tide of good episodes comes in for awhile, then it recedes and gets kind of crappy again, and the tide is a bit unpredictable as to how long it will last and when it will come.

The problem though is if you don't create a society where your willing to do the sort of things Rick group is doing in this environment, then the only alternative is being a nomadic force that tries to stay alive while avoiding any permanent settlements.

The latter didn't work very well--it was essentially Ricks group through the first few seasons. Trying to remain good while maintaining a settlement just results in you getting attacked by groups like the wolves or being a slave group like the hilltop.

Only solution is to make yours the top dog settlement and try to create a fair system of allied settlements. But you've got to clean through your enemies first.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yet another amazing episode in what it problably is TWD's longest winning streak. Characterising it as filler misses all the little but important details being thown around, such as Negan being incredibly militarised and holding significant control over a vast area going by their radio interactions (meaning that they are probably much more dangerous than the bunch of chodes killed at the outpost raided by Rick and the gang), and Maggie and Carol being scarily close to their respective breaking points.

It also gave us some of the best kills of the season and another reason to worship the land where Maggie and Carol step on. They played those fools like damn fiddle.

AeCxf2b.gif
kRcUfD0.gif

Ej2NMXx.gif
KDkseRn.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

As far as I'm concerned, this is TWD's finest moment. The show has been fire since it returned.

Carol is my favorite character by far right now. Glad she isn't a complete bloodthirsty killing machine and has moments of weakness. But then she steps up and boy does she step... that scene with the kill floor was glorious. This season has been the best so far IMO.

Surfinn

I've gotta say, I'm not sharing the same enthusiasm about this episode. The actress who played the main character in Negan's group who captured Carol and Maggie was GOD awful and had some of the worst line delivery I've ever seen on TV. The only decent actress out of the three main women was the one with the southern accent, IMO. The one interrogating Maggie was pretty bad and had some laughably forced "bitch" lines.

My other concern, which is more significant, is that Carol's return to her old self makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE and is completely out of left field. I thought she was faking everything when captured (which would have been awesome, classic Carol), but they'll have us believe she actually FELT that way? It really wasn't an act? How in God's name could she have felt ANYTHING for the woman who captured her? How could she even relate a little to someone who's basically taunting her and describing how weak she is?

Then the stupidest thing possible happens: Carol allows this person who captured her, poses a threat and is nothing but AWFUL to her to get within arms reach while she's holding a GUN? That could have cost Carol her life, and it makes absolutely no sense at all. It doesn't follow her character's progression as, only weeks before, she almost killed Morgan over this very dilemma (save or take lives to survive). I'm cool with her feeling remorse and exploring some of her feelings of guilt or regret, but this is NOT the way to go. There should have been more of a focus on Sam and how her decisions have an emotional impact.

But, drama right? People like drama and surprises so much (regardless of how sensical it may be) that I guess they'll just glaze over the fact that they're now fucking Carol's character up too.

The good news is that Maggie is evolving into a badass who gets the job done. They are killing to SURVIVE, not out of cold blood. Carol clearly had absolutely no problem doing MUCH WORSE THAN THIS many times before without batting an eye.

Solo

As I stated before, I may be a bit biased as we binged the first 4 seasons and have watched 5 and 6 live, but the last time I recall being really wowed was the prison assault episode with Herschel and the Governor`s deaths, whatever season that was.

Mr Git

Another great episode. I wonder if Carol will keep quiet about them all being Negan to avoid a further manhunt. They did seem to be very well organised with multiple radio channels and locations etc. so that'll probably bite them in the arse.

Rick is just not taking chances anymore, and he should not. After losing his wife, girlfriend, friends, and almost losing both kids, he just does not care about anything else but their own safety. I would probably behave the same if it was during apocalypse. You can't have conscious during times like that. Look what it did to CArol, she almost died and killed Maggie because of that.

That's thinking like the Governor. I remember when Rick used to say to Morgan (and the Governor!), "You get to come back. We all do." Well, after this, I don't think Rick or any of them can come back. They crossed a line willingly, and they know it. The Governor knew that as well.

I think the saddest part is that Glenn crossed that line as well. You could tell it pained him. Glenn didn't even kill the guy that tried to kill him, and forced that girl to come back to Alexandria. Glenn or Carol should be the leader, not Rick, though while I still think Glenn is more human than Rick, he's started down the road to ruin as well.

dustyherb

As I stated before, I may be a bit biased as we binged the first 4 seasons and have watched 5 and 6 live, but the last time I recall being really wowed was the prison assault episode with Herschel and the Governor`s deaths, whatever season that was.
That was the first half of season 4 and I agree that was another good run of episodes. Washed out the bad taste of the horrible season 3 ending.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Another great episode. I wonder if Carol will keep quiet about them all being Negan to avoid a further manhunt. They did seem to be very well organised with multiple radio channels and locations etc. so that'll probably bite them in the arse.

I think she's smart enough to know what needs to be done, even if right now she can't quite stomach doing the deed by herself. She's no Morgan. I feel like she realizes that she's somewhat becoming too close to the Saviours to comfort, but she understands the situation even if she hates it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm kinda saddened Alicia Witt is a goner. She can play bad pretty damn good :(

Also, Rick didn't need one second to cap that fool. His bloodlust is unstoppable.

Not sure why people think Rick was harsh on killing that guy. They kept him alive for bargaining, he'd have been dead long before otherwise. He clearly wasn't giving them any info at all, he was playing that 'I am Negan' act. He had no use or purpose and was an enemy. He was also obviously worth little to the Saviours since it took them so long to decide to trade for him.

Can't let him go so killing him was the only course.

Show is great right now. Hope it keeps it up.

dustyherb

My other concern, which is more significant, is that Carol's return to her old self makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE and is completely out of left field. I thought she was faking everything when captured (which would have been awesome, classic Carol), but they'll have us believe she actually FELT that way? It really wasn't an act? How in God's name could she have felt ANYTHING for the woman who captured her? How could she even relate a little to someone who's basically taunting her and describing how weak she is?
It makes complete sense for her to be struggling. Morgan got through to her with the whole you don't have to kill, not to mention she's feeling guilty over Sam and all the other people she had to kill. And Melissa McBride said on the talking dead it was an act and it wasn't at the same time. She doesn't want to have to kill and add more to her list but that doesn't mean she's not going to kill at all.

She relates to the red head because she was what Carol would be if she lost all her humanity. The red head talking about her life before and in a lot of ways it relates to how Carol was before it all started.

Surfinn

Not sure why people think Rick was harsh on killing that guy. They kept him alive for bargaining, he'd have been dead long before otherwise. He clearly wasn't giving them any info at all, he was playing that 'I am Negan' act. He had no use or purpose and was an enemy. He was also obviously worth little to the Saviours since it took them so long to decide to trade for him.

Can't let him go so killing him was the only course.

Show is great right now. Hope it keeps it up.

No half measures. Once you commit you've gotta go all in, regardless of if it was the right call or not.

Unless you learn new information that serves as motivation to quit..

It makes complete sense for her to be struggling. Morgan got through to her with the whole you don't have to kill, not to mention she's feeling guilty over Sam and all the other people she had to kill. And Melissa McBride said on the talking dead it was an act and it wasn't at the same time. She doesn't want to have to kill and add more to her list but that doesn't mean she's not going to kill at all.

She relates to the red head because she was what Carol would be if she lost all her humanity. The red head talking about her life before and in a lot of ways it relates to how Carol was before it all started.

Yeah, if that's really what happened and it was an act, it was directed badly. There's no way for the viewer to know she was playing them, considering she acted exactly the same way after everyone was killed (i.e. holding onto the cross, visibly shaken and afraid). So, she's suddenly taken up religion again? She's praying and hoping things will be the way they were before?

If Rick couldn't get through to her for killing at the prison in cold blood, how could some random person she knows for literally minutes all the sudden get through to her with one story? I can see Carol reflecting on her old life and feeling emotion, but outright putting herself into a situation where she could DIE is laughable.

No, this does NOT fit her character one bit. There's no reason she would ever put herself into such a vulnerable position, after everything she's been through.

Awful writing. Forced drama.

That's thinking like the Governor. I remember when Rick used to say to Morgan (and the Governor!), "You get to come back. We all do." Well, after this, I don't think Rick or any of them can come back. They crossed a line willingly, and they know it. The Governor knew that as well.

I think the saddest part is that Glenn crossed that line as well. You could tell it pained him. Glenn didn't even kill the guy that tried to kill him, and forced that girl to come back to Alexandria. Glenn or Carol should be the leader, not Rick, though while I still think Glenn is more human than Rick, he's started down the road to ruin as well.

governor had not code. Rick has one. don't mess up with me, you don't get killed.

Surfinn

The main difference between Rick and the governor is that the gov enjoyed killing. He enjoyed taking his aggression out on others out of pure cruelty. Rick is trying to survive, but the governor often used that as an excuse to act on savage emotion.

Carol's actions felt weird this episode, not sure why they suddenly made her feel reflective/guilty about what she's done. Feels like it should have happened much sooner if htey were going to go this route. Maybe just after the massacre of Alexandria, which was almost entirely of her doing.

And Paula. Was she or one of her group the ones responsible for those pictures in the last episode?

Surfinn

Carol's actions felt weird this episode, not sure why they suddenly made her feel reflective/guilty about what she's done. Feels like it should have happened much sooner if htey were going to go this route. Maybe just after the massacre of Alexandria, which was almost entirely of her doing.

And Paula. Was she or one of her group the ones responsible for those pictures in the last episode?

Yup, laughable character progression. But she shared a similar experience with the woman that described a similar life story in 30 seconds, so obviously Carol is going to become weak and vulnerable again and endanger her life and those around her, right?

The main difference between Rick and the governor is that the gov enjoyed killing. He enjoyed taking his aggression out on others out of pure cruelty. Rick is trying to survive, but the governor often used that as an excuse to act on savage emotion.
Rick has neared that line. Remember when he touched his gun when he saw Jessie and Pete walking together? When he told the Alexandrians he was ready to kill some of them? Or when he told Morgan he wanted to kill Carter because Carter was weak?

Symphonia

Banned
I'm kinda saddened Alicia Witt is a goner. She can play bad pretty damn good :(

Also, Rick didn't need one second to cap that fool. His bloodlust is unstoppable.
I don't see why people think Rick is becoming a monster with an insanely high bloodlust. Way I see it, he's doing what he needs to do to keep his group alive. If it means shooting a guy at point blank range, so be it.

Surfinn

Rick has neared that line. Remember when he touched his gun when he saw Jessie and Pete walking together? When he told the Alexandrians he was ready to kill some of them? Or when he told Morgan he wanted to kill Carter because Carter was weak?

Pete was beating his wife and treating his family like shit, and as a former cop especially, I can understand those emotions. With the Alexandrian's, while his speech was a little over the top, he was basically explaining that certain people were going to die because they were weak and that the strong would eventually fight with them. He ultimately never even got close to killing people simply because of this.

He never attempted to kill someone out of pure cruelty. And, in Rick's position, I think it makes sense to think about crossing the line, but there's a major difference between thinking and committing.

governor had not code. Rick has one. don't mess up with me, you don't get killed.

So the governor's code then.

Yeah, people seem to be forgetting some of the darker Rick moments.
Pete was beating his wife and treating his family like shit, and as a former cop especially, I can understand those emotions. With the Alexandrian's, while his speech was a little over the top, he was basically explaining that certain people were going to die because they were weak and that the strong would eventually fight with them. He ultimately never even got close to killing people simply because of this.

He never attempted to kill someone out of pure cruelty. And, in Rick's position, I think it makes sense to think about crossing the line, but there's a major difference between thinking and committing.
The value that Rick attaches to human life seems to be ebbing, so committing to heinous actions is simply one justification away. Eventually he won't be able to turn it off.

Rick has definitely had that crisis of conscience (talking dead word of the day) just like Carol is having now but I think he came out on the right side of the line. He will still do what is necessary but he won't kill or steal and all that just because he can. He will look for other options when possible. But he's very pragmatic. He's basically shane + the governor + humany + slightly less crazy. Or at least a different kind of crazy.

Rick is just a character that's over this shit lol. He had his psycho moments, his conflicting moments, his paranoia, his grief, etc...that guy has been on a complete roller coaster and now he's just over it. Bless him. Though I think there is still growth to be had. Comic/tv spoils:
I'm assuming morgan will eventually get to him. When rick gets the opportunity to cap the biggest villain they faced, instead he will imprison him.

Sendero

I agree that some of the acting/directing was a bit peculiar. And also got confounded when Carol started hyperventilating and then sort of got eye teared and started to try appealing to the captor's feelings (ie. perhaps trying to giving them a chance?).

My mind said that she was faking it, but seeing Maggie react to it, sort of gave mixed messages. Ultimately, I arrived to the same conclusion: She was indeed doing her act, but was both really worried that her 'mistake' had put Maggie at risk, while at the same time finding out that she is in a spiral of destruction, in which seemingly, she just can't stop keep killing. She probably was just as surprised as us.

But the first part, didn't made sense to me. How killing that guy would have prevented them to become prisoners? The Saviors seem to have come from different directions, meaning that Maggie was at risk, no matter what. Pretty odd.

Surfinn

So the governor's code then.

Yeah, people seem to be forgetting some of the darker Rick moments.

No. Rick thought a lot of dark thoughts but never committed to them. Ultimately, though, he never wanted to torture or kill anyone out of savage cruelty, which definitely separates him from the governor.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't see why people think Rick is becoming a monster with an insanely high bloodlust. Way I see it, he's doing what he needs to do to keep his group alive. If it means shooting a guy at point blank range, so be it.
He didn't bother checking with Maggie/Carol for sitrep nor took a minute to extract valuable information. He just heard what he wanted to hear ("I'm Negan") and popped him then and there. No strategical thinking whatsoever, just like when they raided the Saviour's outpost without any advanced planning. Governor-era Rick would have surveiled the place with scouts for a couple of days before going ninja.

He's keeping it way too real for his own good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom