• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Carol is going to go berserk when she finds out about Abe and Glen isn't she? She'll probably massacre all the saviors on her own and it shall be glorious. I'm also looking forward to the tiger causing some damage.

As for this episode, it was really fucking weird but also very entertaining. Loved that armored zombie thing. They need to do more batshit crazy stuff like this. It'll still come off as more realistic/reasonable than some of the shit Lori and Andrea pulled in the earlier seasons.

Jay Sosa

Can anyone tell me what happened to the show after season 4 or 3 or so?

I mean I still like it to some extent..but did some important writers leave or anything? This is really hard to watch, and is seemingly getting worse every episode unfortunately.

Daffy Duck

Well that was a weird episode, those dump dwellers were pretty hilarious to watch. What weridos.

Why would Rick think these guys are fighters when they say themselves they just gather stuff.

Solo

Can anyone tell me what happened to the show after season 4 or 3 or so?

I mean I still like it to some extent..but did some important writers leave or anything? This is really hard to watch, and is seemingly getting worse every episode unfortunately.

The show is basically all AMC has, ratings-wise, post Breaking Bad and Mad Men. It's been monetized. They are going to milk it and string it out as long as humanely possible, which is inherently poison as far as storytelling goes. That's why the show continuously spins its wheels and why at least 10 episodes every 16 episode season are garbage filler.

I don't think this will change or improve either until the ratings drop low enough that AMC decides to end the show. When the creative team knows they only have 1-2 seasons left, I'm sure the storytelling will improve again. But I don't suspect the order to wrap up the show will be coming any time in the foreseeable future. Remember, this is AMC, who split up seasons of BB, MM, and TWD for no other reason than $$$ saved on production and $$$ made off splitting up the episodes.

If the producers knew what they were doing they would have Carol have a John Wick-esque episode. Basic plotline of the first movie. Carol doing stuff and thangs. Kill all the saviors solo.

You guys know you want it.

TVexperto

So how are the last episodes so far? Are the mid season premiere and following episode better than the first half of the season?

Jay Sosa

The show is basically all AMC has, ratings-wise, post Breaking Bad and Mad Men. It's been monetized. They are going to milk it and string it out as long as humanely possible, which is inherently poison as far as storytelling goes. That's why the show continuously spins its wheels and why at least 10 episodes every 16 episode season are garbage filler.

I don't think this will change or improve either until the ratings drop low enough that AMC decides to end the show. When the creative team knows they only have 1-2 seasons left, I'm sure the storytelling will improve again. But I don't suspect the order to wrap up the show will be coming any time in the foreseeable future. Remember, this is AMC, who split up seasons of BB, MM, and TWD for no other reason than $$$ saved on production and $$$ made off splitting up the episodes.

Thing is I'm completely ok with character/slow episodes where nothing happens (as long as they're not as bad as the one with Tara..) my beef is with some of the actors they hired (Tara*) and so many stupid scenes (Michonne standing on top of a car and not being able to hit one fucking zombie with a fucking sniper rifle..or when Rick is super careful putting the dynamite on the ground and then a scene later Sasha basically throws them at his feet, or when they first walk into the trash yard..wtf we're they doing randomly walking in all directions and then forming a circle..Michonne and Rick getting COMPLETEY srrounded by zombies and NOTHING happens.. They just push them away, walk to the car and drive away. I could go on for hours.

I'm really the last person to point out plotholes or criticize bad acting in a zombie show..but it's getting so bad it's sad to see. And afaik it wasn't like that just a couple seasons ago.

Solo

Thing is I'm completely ok with character/slow episodes where nothing happens (as long as they're not as bad as the one with Tara..) my beef is with some of the actors they hired (Tara) and so many stupid scenes (Michonne standing on top of a car and no being able to hit one fucking zombie with a fucking sniper rifle..or when Rick is super careful putting the dynamite on the ground and then a scene later Sasha basically throws them at his feet, or when they first walk into the trash yard..wtf we're they doing randomly walking in all directions and then forming a circle..Michonne and Rick getting COMPLETEY srrounded by zombies and NOTHING happens.. They just push them away, walk to the car and drive away. I could go on for hours.

I'm really the last person to point out plotholes or criticize bad acting in a zombie show show..but it's getting so bad it's sad to see. And afaik it wasn't like that just a couple seasons ago.

Oh, well this is easily explained: the writing on the show is awful and has been for quite some time. Popular characters have plot armor, walkers can be as scary or as wimpy as needed at a given moment, Rick and Co. basically never learn anything from their mistakes, characters who have been around for numerous seasons still have no development, contrivances abound, etc. It's a really poorly written show.

Jay Sosa

Oh, well this is easily explained: the writing on the show is awful and has been for quite some time. Popular characters have plot armor, walkers can be as scary or as wimpy as needed at a given moment, Rick and Co. basically never learn anything from their mistakes, characters who have been around for numerous seasons still have no development, contrivances abound, etc. It's a really poorly written show.

Yeah, this is exactly what bothers me, and like I said imho it wasn't nearly as bad just a couple of seasons ago..that's why I assumed whoever was responsible making the first few seasons so compelling left.

Oh well, maybe now that the ratings are dropping they'll wrap it up soon.

jwk94

Carol is going to go berserk when she finds out about Abe and Glen isn't she? She'll probably massacre all the saviors on her own and it shall be glorious. I'm also looking forward to the tiger causing some damage.

As for this episode, it was really fucking weird but also very entertaining. Loved that armored zombie thing. They need to do more batshit crazy stuff like this. It'll still come off as more realistic/reasonable than some of the shit Lori and Andrea pulled in the earlier seasons.
Yeah, Carol will kill some/a lot of saviors and then someone will kill her. She's not making it out of this season alive.

DavidDesu

The show is losing me. We're like a handful of years into the zombie apocalypse yet a community of people seems to be losing their vocabulary and acting like something out of Mad Max... c'mon now. It was just ridiculous.

I watched this episode not caring. Should have found Daryl and Carol reuniting being emotional but just didn't care. I really do think I watched this show for Glenn and I wanted to see a happy ending in the end for him... goddamit! :p

pitchfork

Looking forward to Negan next week (big fan!)

Show is definitely getting more bizarre since the introduction of the kingdom and now the scavengers and losing a lot of its grittiness in the process, but i'm warming to this new direction. The whole post apocalyptic tribal warfare thing is kinda fun..

But that does not mean they are actually fighter and know how to handle themselves.

Of course not, but given their situation, it seems like the best possible bet. They need numbers to stand a chance against the Saviours. These guys seem to be at least 50, and they have guns...

think the following episode will have tara try to go back to the oceanside tribe for the guns? maybe when she goes back they were overrun by a heard or something crazy and almost everyone is dead. idk lol

Looking forward to Negan next week (big fan!)

Show is definitely getting more bizarre since the introduction of the kingdom and now the scavengers and losing a lot of its grittiness in the process, but i'm warming to this new direction. The whole post apocalyptic tribal warfare thing is kinda fun..

Here's Negan next week:
7a67ccdb22f1f1c2e7a6b903ae840422.gif

JoeNut

think the following episode will have tara try to go back to the oceanside tribe for the guns? maybe when she goes back they were overrun by a heard or something crazy and almost everyone is dead. idk lol

yes that's definitely the next step, get those guys in, they had tons of guns and hated the saviours.

bidguy

Banned
Well that was a weird episode, those dump dwellers were pretty hilarious to watch. What weridos.

Why would Rick think these guys are fighters when they say themselves they just gather stuff.

who says he thinks of them as fighters ? rick said himself, he has enough people who know how to fight, he just lacks the numbers. im pretty sure theyre just gonna end up as cannon fodder.

Blatz

yes that's definitely the next step, get those guys in, they had tons of guns and hated the saviours.

It's tricky though. Tara can't go back there. They'll shoot her on sight, unless she get's plot armor. They should send someone else. Someone a bunch of paranoid ladies will be likely to trust, Enid?

Blatz

Where the F is Heath?

I asked this a while back. Apparently he on 24 and maybe written out of TWD?

The actor is playing coy about it though.
“It’s usually very finite, right? But me and [showrunner] Scott [Gimple] have had a lot of conversations; Scott has been great in terms of asking and talking and really trying to figure out where the character was coming from and going, and you know, professional things take you where they take you, that’s normal. But we left it open … so I will just say there is always a possibility, there is always a way.”

DBT85

It's tricky though. Tara can't go back there. They'll shoot her on sight, unless she get's plot armor. They should send someone else. Someone a bunch of paranoid ladies will be likely to trust, Enid?

A weary old lady who lives on her own and reads romance novels.

I asked this a while back. Apparently he on 24 and maybe written out of TWD?

The actor is playing coy about it though.
“It’s usually very finite, right? But me and [showrunner] Scott [Gimple] have had a lot of conversations; Scott has been great in terms of asking and talking and really trying to figure out where the character was coming from and going, and you know, professional things take you where they take you, that’s normal. But we left it open … so I will just say there is always a possibility, there is always a way.”
I guess the writers were afraid to kill him given the reaction to Glenn and Abe's deaths?
Remember Tara is friends with one of them. If she convinces her on Rick's plan, they might be able to smuggle them out and also get her to join Rick's group.

Blatz

I guess the writers were afraid to kill him given the reaction to Glenn and Abe's deaths?

Remember Tara is friends with one of them. If she convinces her on Rick's plan, they might be able to smuggle them out and also get her to join Rick's group.

Seems like the actor that plays Heath got busy before the writers could figure out what to do with him.

Tara's friend? The young girl? I don't think Tara should count on that, but could be plot armor.

If the producers knew what they were doing they would have Carol have a John Wick-esque episode. Basic plotline of the first movie. Carol doing stuff and thangs. Kill all the saviors solo.

Carol finds out about what they did to Daryl, Glen & Abraham. Takes out every one solo with only stolen guns and a pocket knife.

All the groups show up to fight Negan and co only to see Carol walking away from a burning compound.

Blatz

Carol finds out about what they did to Daryl, Glen & Abraham. Takes out every one solo with only stolen guns and a pocket knife.

All the groups show up to fight Negan and co only to see Carol walking away from a burning compound.

No. They never see carol again. She just leaves a casserole dish at the gate.

Hope Corey Hawkins can make it back onto the show in any capacity at some point. He's terrific in 24: Legacy, I'm very thrilled he's breaking out.

But that does not mean they are actually fighter and know how to handle themselves.

I'm with you on this one. They appear to be great at sneaking, and planning. They haven't shown themselves to be good fighters, though. In fact, Jadis said something that makes me think its pretty clear that they aren't fighters. It was something to the effect of, "We take. We don't disturb."

With all of that being said, though, Rick's group could teach them how to use guns. They already have the other qualities of a good fighter

Blatz

with the way things are moving i dont think we will see the war until next season.

Agreed. Considering they spent half of this season showing us how bad Negan is, there's no way they resolve it this season. There will be a cliffhanger though. I wonder what that will be.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The show is basically all AMC has, ratings-wise, post Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

AMC is home to 4 of the top 10 cable shows in the 18-49 demo.

It's been monetized.

Television is a business. Every show is monetized.

They are going to milk it and string it out as long as humanely possible, which is inherently poison as far as storytelling goes.

Not when that's exactly the kind of storytelling they're going for. Which it is. Seriously, I fail to see how people still don't realize this 7 years in.

Lorcain

It's time for Carol to give up that last shred of humanity she's clinging to and become the killing machine that she's meant to be. Only then will she fulfill her destiny...

Realeza

Banned
Man, were those rumors about toned down violence true? I feel that if the Iron Maiden fight was during the previous half of the season, it would have been way more brutal.

Man, were those rumors about toned down violence true? I feel that if the Iron Maiden fight was during the previous half of the season, it would have been way more brutal.
I was expecting him to twist its head off with the spikes

That they didn't even show the kill seemed to confirm those toned down violence claims

This is the show that had Rick tear the face off a walker in Season 3

twdzomb.gif

Daffy Duck

who says he thinks of them as fighters ? rick said himself, he has enough people who know how to fight, he just lacks the numbers. im pretty sure theyre just gonna end up as cannon fodder.

Hadn't thought of it like that. Thought he was tying to amass an army of Carol clones.

dustyherb

At least 10? So there's been 40+ episodes you think are filler? Out of the 10 episodes so far this season which ones are filler? Because I sure as hell don't think a single one has been filler.

Krixeus

Pretty much my thoughts on it too. I bet Rick was thinking "Alright I've got my meat shields" when he was smiling last ep.

Top Bottom