• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Solo

At least 10? So there's been 40+ episodes you think are filler? Out of the 10 episodes so far this season which ones are filler? Because I sure as hell don't think a single one has been filler.

I'm oversimplicating when I say every episode that isn't the SX.1 premiere, the SX.1 finale, the SX.2 premiere and the SX.2 finale, but not by much.

It didn't always feel that way to me. Probably set in around S4 or so. It really didn't help when the overarching plot seemed to be cyclical. Find a new place/people. Stuff goes well for a while. Then stuff goes bad. Big fight and then on to the next place. Lather rinse repeat for the farm, the prison, Woodbury, Terminus, Alexandria, The Saviors. It just doesn't make for compelling television for me when each season follows that cycle more or less.

I'm oversimplicating when I say every episode that isn't the SX.1 premiere, the SX.1 finale, the SX.2 premiere and the SX.2 finale, but not by much.

It didn't always feel that way to me. Probably set in around S4 or so. It really didn't help when the overarching plot seemed to be cyclical. Find a new place/people. Stuff goes well for a while. Then stuff goes bad. Big fight and then on to the next place. Lather rinse repeat for the farm, the prison, Woodbury, Terminus, Alexandria, The Saviors. It just doesn't make for compelling television for me when each season follows that cycle more or less.

The entirety of Season 2 was filler.
These later seasons have been pretty rad. It just seems like the show you're getting isn't what you want, but that doesn't make it bad or filler.

And what's with all the unmarked comic spoiler talk on the previous page?

NBtoaster

These groups are getting a little too weird. Alexandria and Hilltop were pretty grounded but the Kingdom and the garbage people take it a little far. They're like communities you would find in Fallout.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The entirety of Season 2 was filler.
These later seasons have been pretty rad. It just seems like the show you're getting isn't what you want, but that doesn't make it bad or filler.

And what's with all the unmarked comic spoiler talk on the previous page?
First of all...season 2 was not filler at all, I am not even sure why or how you came to that conclusion. Second of all...there are no unmarked spoilers on the previous page.

BenjiGAF

The first half of S2 was definitely filler/dragged out

Edit: I read somewhere some writer was trying to write it into the ground in the 1st half of S2 but that could be Tales From The Ass Of The Internet

WaffleTaco

The first half of S2 was definitely filler/dragged out

Edit: I read somewhere some writer was trying to write it into the ground in the 1st half of S2 but that could be Tales From The Ass Of The Internet
Dragged out? Maybe, but that is because they had budget issues or something. Filler? Show me the receipts.

These groups are getting a little too weird. Alexandria and Hilltop were pretty grounded but the Kingdom and the garbage people take it a little far. They're like communities you would find in Fallout.

I don't think those groups are completely unrealistic. In real life, everyone has their own interests and things they embrace. People cosplay as their favorite imaginary characters all the time. We celebrate Halloween and everyone dresses up on that day. Is it crazy to think that people who enjoy dressing up as other characters have found a different way to cope with the apocalypse? If anything it would be very difficult to maintain this extreme structured way of thinking in this world since everyone creates their own set of rules.

First of all...season 2 was not filler at all, I am not even sure why or how you came to that conclusion. Second of all...there are no unmarked spoilers on the previous page.

I guess the question is - what is filler? Because they did fuck all (if I'm recalling correctly) in the beginning or most of Season 2. There's a reason tons of people drop off there. It's boring as fuck.

And all the stuff about
a group of 6 people that stab Rick's group in the back
from the comic, with people equating them to this new group, isn't a spoiler?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I guess the question is - what is filler? Because they did fuck all (if I'm recalling correctly) in the beginning or most of Season 2. There's a reason tons of people drop off there. It's boring as fuck.

And all the stuff about

It's hard to tell.

The group from the comic is so minor that I literally forgot they even existed. Even hearing the name brought no recollection. They're only in a few issues, are completely different and don't really share the same mannerisms as this group, and I'm pretty sure they appeared WAY before Negan even showed up.

But yeah, even minor comic stuff should be spoiler tagged cause you never know.

I liked the most recent episode for three reasons.

Jerry - he's hilarious
Carol - she remembered she's a fantastic actress

I did love the standoff between the Saviours and the Kingdom though. Tense.

Alpende

I watched it two days ago and thought it was decent. The Dump Dwellers are kind of weird and I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense that they speak in broken vocabulary. I don't know how much time has passed iin the show but I doubt it's been long enough for people to forget to talk like a normal human being.

I need more Negan stuff!

WaffleTaco

And all the stuff about
Filler is basically where nothing of consequence happens and is usually not mentioned ever again. If the group Tara ran into is not brought back into the fold, it would be classified as filler.

And it was technically a couple pages back (which is why I didn't see it) and could technically be called a spoiler, if that's the same type of group. Personally I don't even remember them from the comics. However that group stabbing Rick in the back is kind of implied. After all all their group mentality m is that, "they take what they want." They are as parasitic as Negan is.

Dragged out? Maybe, but that is because they had budget issues or something. Filler? Show me the receipts.

"Cherokee Rose", the "We need to get the zombie out of the well!" episode

"Chupacabra", nothing happens at all, Daryl is shot in the head (for literally no reason other than to cause drama for 5 minutes), and then it turns out he's going to be ok.

"Secrets", pretty sure this was another nothing episode with people yelling in groups of 1 on 1 conversations about how they need to do something but they both disagree with how to do it.

Those were the really stand out "filler" episodes, but that's not even talking about how each episode had filler content that lead to nothing and had no reason to exist other than to create momentary disagreements that never went anywhere.

Season 2 was bad because the vast majority of the season was filler content, or was filled with artificial drama because literally nothing else was happening.

The well, the headshot, the "zombies are people too!!!", crashing the car on an open road, getting "abortion" pills for stupid Lori, the stupid love drama between Glenn and Maggie, the suicide subplot, the entire fight between Rick and Shane that resulted in nothing actually being resolved because Shane just turned into a psychopath right after the big fight that was meant to set everyone straight, Dale getting got from a single zombie in the middle of an open field...

Yea, entire season was pretty bad.

Solo

You know, seeing Jon Bernthal in Daredevil made me realize that the Walking would be so much better if Shane were still around. Definitely the best character they've lost. Would have been interested to see how a lot of the scenarios the group encountered after his death would have played out if he were still there.

Filler is basically where nothing of consequence happens and is usually not mentioned ever again. If the group Tara ran into is not brought back into the fold, it would be classified as filler.

And it was technically a couple pages back (which is why I didn't see it) and could technically be called a spoiler, if that's the same type of group. Personally I don't even remember them from the comics. However that group stabbing Rick in the back is kind of implied. After all all their group mentality m is that, "they take what they want." They are as parasitic as Negan is.

That 50ppp life...

WaffleTaco

"Chupacabra", nothing happens at all, Daryl is shot in the head (for literally no reason other than to cause drama for 5 minutes), and then it turns out he's going to be ok.

"Secrets", pretty sure this was another nothing episode with people yelling in groups of 1 on 1 conversations about how they need to do something but they both disagree with how to do it.

Those were the really stand out "filler" episodes, but that's not even talking about how each episode had filler content that lead to nothing and had no reason to exist other than to create momentary disagreements that never went anywhere.

Season 2 was bad because the vast majority of the season was filler content, or was filled with artificial drama because literally nothing else was happening.

The well, the headshot, the "zombies are people too!!!", crashing the car on an open road, getting "abortion" pills for stupid Lori, the stupid love drama between Glenn and Maggie, the suicide subplot, the entire fight between Rick and Shane that resulted in nothing actually being resolved because Shane just turned into a psychopath right after the big fight that was meant to set everyone straight, Dale getting got from a single zombie in the middle of an open field...

I disagree with you that the season was bad, it had some fantastic character performances that the show has rarely had sense. I mean I could go through all your points with they are not filler, but I feel it would be redundant and I am just willing to concede and say we can agree to disagree.

That 50ppp life...
I'm not sure what you mean lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 10.4 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 7: 10.5 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 8: 10.6 million 5.1 A18-49

Episode 9: 12.0 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 10: 11.1 million 5.3 A18-49

There are like 5 or 6 episodes in season 2 of the 13 episode season that aren't trash for sure filler and very awful. for example after Episode 2 go to Episode 7 and you haven't missed a beat.

I disagree with you that the season was bad, it had some fantastic character performances that the show has rarely had sense. I mean I could go through all your points with they are not filler, but I feel it would be redundant and I am just willing to concede and say we can agree to disagree.

I'm not sure what you mean lol

50 posts per page. I think when I posted it, the comments were on the previous page if you view 100 posts per page. That's rookie Gaf-ing. Spencer-level tomfoolery

darknemus

Where's Heath? Anyone think he might be the person that somehow brings the Beachside group to the main group's (Rick's) attention? I know Tara already knows about them but I can't imagine they just killed Heath off-screen...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Where's Heath? Anyone think he might be the person that somehow brings the Beachside group to the main group's (Rick's) attention? I know Tara already knows about them but I can't imagine they just killed Heath off-screen...

His actor is playing the lead in the new 24 series - Heath isn't dead, they just had to write him off the show for a while (presumably until they can schedule him on again).

Cronen

It's hard to tell.

The group from the comic is so minor that I literally forgot they even existed. Even hearing the name brought no recollection. They're only in a few issues, are completely different and don't really share the same mannerisms as this group, and I'm pretty sure they appeared WAY before Negan even showed up.

But yeah, even minor comic stuff should be spoiler tagged cause you never know.

Absolutely this.

I had to Google them to be even reminded who they were. In fact, they only show up for four issues of the comics - they are also pre-Negan. In fact, I want to say it was even prior to when Alexandria got infested with walkers, which in the show was around the middle of Season 6.

WaffleTaco

Absolutely this.

I had to Google them to be even reminded who they were. In fact, they only show up for four issues of the comics - they are also pre-Negan. In fact, I want to say it was even prior to when Alexandria got infested with walkers, which in the show was around the middle of Season 6.
Wait that's who they are?? I thought we replaced that group in the comics with the wolves.

Lorcain

There's no believable explanation I can think of that would justify the junkyard drama troupe speaking like irradiated Mad Max toddlers. Maybe they found a way to stop the bitten from dying immediately, but they suffer brain damage in the process? Or maybe their initiation is to leap head first off Up Up Up? That's all I've got.

riotous

Banned
There's no believable explanation I can think of that would justify the junkyard drama troupe speaking like irradiated Mad Max toddlers. Maybe they found a way to stop the bitten from dying immediately, but they suffer brain damage in the process? Or maybe their initiation is to leap head first off Up Up Up? That's all I've got.

I feel like people are exaggerating this; didn't we only hear one of them speak?

She talks a little weird but I barely even noticed it.

Bound and gagged at the all womens camp.

futurama+spongy.jpg

riotous

Banned
And as far as the groups origin, the actress playing the leader said:

How much did you know about this character when you signed on?

She's not from the comic book and is all new. I had part of the scene from episode 10 with Rick and had a pretty clear idea of who this person was. It's very clear what her intentions are. [Producers] didn't tell me any background at that point or what was happening in the future. The net for the role was being cast quite wide — it was open to men and women.

But doesn't mean the group is "all new"; but I have a feeling this is a new group and not from the comic books. And on the dialect she said this:

Let's talk about Jadis' look and dialect. Was that inspired by anything specifically? What notes did the producers give you for the character? She almost seems like she's part Vulcan.

(Laughs.) I love the idea of her being part Vulcan. ... The language and dialogue is a way to keep their group cohesive. This dialogue is one way to separate them from the outside and cement that community. It's very succinct, clear and to the point. And as you can see from the heap and how all the trash is used, there's nothing that is wasted. In this case, it's the word; there's no need for extraneous words, it's just what you need and direct. The rest is just to be dropped back in the trash. It's also intimidating to outsiders and makes them that much more mysterious. Jadis keeps her cards close to her chest and her dialogue is one of the ways she can do it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...who-is-jadis-are-they-whisperers-alpha-977624

Blatz

I feel like people are exaggerating this; didn't we only hear one of them speak?

She talks a little weird but I barely even noticed it.

I agree with you. I watched it a second time and still didn't really see much wrong with it. I guess it's a little silly since it's only been a couple years. But no big deal. There's just too many cynics on here.

RangerX

Banned
I agree with you. I watched it a second time and still didn't really see much wrong with it. I guess it's a little silly since it's only been a couple years. But no big deal. There's just too many cynics on here.

This is nonsense. There is nothing cynical about it. After two years a group of people shouldn't have lost the ability to form coherent sentences or start acting like they've been isolated on an island for 50 years. Its bad writing plain and simple.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that the episode felt very disconnected from the show's world and what's happened so far. The GPKs were just a bit too out there.

edit: I mean, I'm not dropping the show or anything, but I felt it was one of the worst episodes in a while.

WaffleTaco

I honestly have no idea what anyone is talking about when it comes to having this group speak. What exactly did they say that set off alarm bells for yalls??

Also comic spoilers:
If people are annoyed by apparently people speaking differently, they are going to flip even more when they see Alpha's group.

Further reflections on this week's ep (sorry, I just got around to watching it last night): Jerry continues to be my favorite thing right now. Jerry forever. Jerry for life. Team Jerry.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Hostiles and Calamities

An Alexandrian must navigate the mysterious world within the Saviors' compound.

Tonight's episode was written by ? and was directed by Kari Skogland, who last directed 6.10 "The Next World" (the one where Rick and Daryl meet Jesus).

Tonight's episode will run 9 minutes past the hour.

The guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead are:

Josh McDermitt (Eugene)
Austin Amelio (Dwight)
Lil Jon (rapper)

New episode tonight!

Tonight's episode was written by ? and was directed by Kari Skogland, who last directed 6.10 "The Next World" (the one where Rick and Daryl meet Jesus).

Tonight's episode will run 9 minutes past the hour.

The guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead are:

Josh McDermitt (Eugene)
Austin Amelio (Dwight)
Lil Jon (rapper)

Oof. Looks like filler.

Come at me

Top Bottom