• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 Minutes of Soulframe Gameplay Demo

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Get a brand new look at Soulframe including some customization, finding a new ancestral and a battle with some enemies and a mini boss.

What Is Soulframe?

Soulframe is the next game in development from Digital Extremes, the creators of Warframe. Soulframe is described as being a "sister-game" to Warframe rather than a successor or a sequel. The game is a co-op action hybrid-MMORPG featuring a large open-world hub which branches off into smaller procedurally generated dungeons/instances. Whereas Warframe has a very strong sci-fi aesthetic, Soulframe will be much more fantasy inspired, with Studio Ghibli's "Princess Mononoke" being cited as a major influence on the title. Adventure, restoration and the conflict between industry and nature are the core central themes of the game. In terms of gameplay, the game will have a much stronger melee focus than Warframe, and will feature slower paced, heavier combat.

What Is Soulframe Not?

Soulframe is not a "Soulslike", a genre popularised by FromSoftware's "Dark Souls" franchise. Souls represent a core theme and gameplay mechanic in Soulframe, hence the inclusion in the title.

Will Soulframe Be Free To Play?

Yes.

Update: Here's the entire devstream from TennoCon:

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
vxz3VvK.png

What does this even mean?

Combat looks clunky as shit.

Camera's way too close to the character and the FOV is way too low too. Can't see shit.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
One of the most bizzare and ugly character creation screens I ever seen. Tech wise it doesnt look good and on the level of very early PS4/XONE 3rd party games. Combat is bad with stiff and bad animations. I mean, it looks like they did everything there is to do for me not to like the game and make me not want to play it.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Without watching the video game I'm guessing this another "souls-like"?
Nope. I've added the below info to the OP.

What Is Soulframe?

Soulframe is the next game in development from Digital Extremes, the creators of Warframe. Soulframe is described as being a "sister-game" to Warframe rather than a successor or a sequel. The game is a co-op action hybrid-MMORPG featuring a large open-world hub which branches off into smaller procedurally generated dungeons/instances. Whereas Warframe has a very strong sci-fi aesthetic, Soulframe will be much more fantasy inspired, with Studio Ghibli's "Princess Mononoke" being cited as a major influence on the title. Adventure, restoration and the conflict between industry and nature are the core central themes of the game. In terms of gameplay, the game will have a much stronger melee focus than Warframe, and will feature slower paced, heavier combat.

What Is Soulframe Not?

Soulframe is not a "Soulslike", a genre popularised by FromSoftware's "Dark Souls" franchise. Souls represent a core theme and gameplay mechanic in Soulframe, hence the inclusion in the title.

Yes.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nope. I've added the below info to the OP.

What Is Soulframe?

What Is Soulframe Not?

Yes.
I watched gameplay yeah I was dead wrong, this definitely not Souls-like game but maybe its just me but there is something weird about the animation, I'm guessing in early development because animation feels unfinished.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

I watched gameplay yeah I was dead wrong, this definitely not Souls-like game but maybe its just me but there is something weird about the animation, I'm guessing in early development because animation feels unfinished.
Not your fault, tbh. Even the devs agree that people might think it's a soulslike due to the game's name.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
From the moment they shown this years ago I've never understood the direction of this game. To call it soulframe is a complete dis-service. Adding the word 'frame' links it to warframe and its a complete 180 from the reasons people like warframe. And to add 'soul' is just putting in a a bracket people will judge it against. It looks 10 years out of date.

Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member
The combat looks extremely bad. I really liked some Digital Extreme games (Warframe, The Darkness 2 and Dark Sector).

But the combat seems horrible. Hopefully it's just in an early stage of development.... Also, the character customization/creation seems cool.

Last edited:
Anyone else think the characters running animation looks dawky?

It has a Daniel Craig like quality.

Nothing will beat the Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order shit your pants run though.

KXVXII9X

I think developers have lost all passion and care to do anything different or interesting. Everyone is using the same templates. This generation seems to regress in terms of animation quality, interactivity, and creating game worlds with attention to detail. I am noticing more post-apocalyptic, empty, procedurally generated, and lifeless worlds with less complex NPC's and dynamic gameplay. These games are extremely unfocused, janky, too big for the resources they have, and all feel like console versions of mobile games. I'm tired of super detailed textures with clunky character animations and lifeless, static worlds.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

True, I like what I see so far and looks different enough to give it a try when it releases.

I think developers have lost all passion and care to do anything different or interesting. Everyone is using the same templates. This generation seems to regress in terms of animation quality, interactivity, and creating game worlds with attention to detail. I am noticing more post-apocalyptic, empty, procedurally generated, and lifeless worlds with less complex NPC's and dynamic gameplay. These games are extremely unfocused, janky, too big for the resources they have, and all feel like console versions of mobile games. I'm tired of super detailed textures with clunky character animations and lifeless, static worlds.
I’m back playing 8/16/32/64 bit games and having a blast. Games today outside a handful of the huge budget stand outs like your Zelda, Elden Ring, Spider-Man II and RDRII are so devoid of any sort of innovation or artistic class or polish it’s actually unbelievable. The games industry has let a ton of talent leave for Hollywood and replaced them with DEI hires who aren’t half as talented or experienced in the craft.

FFVII Rebirth was the straw that broke the camels back for me. A game filled with forced walking, cringe dialogue, 2006 era gameplay, pushing through gaps to hide loading, annoying mini games, drab level design and fucking with a classic story. And it got universal acclaim from both critics and fans. I feel like I’m living in the twilight zone lol.

I completed the original Mega Man for the first time over a few hours yesterday afternoon and I have to say I’ve not had that much fun or that sense of accomplishment in gaming for years. It’s art style, level design and gameplay mechanics were all top notch.

hlm666

So that's gonna end like wayfinder.

Also years ago I got a warning from digital extremes for calling someone a nimrod in trade chat, so they can ride that hypocrite horse of theirs right off the closest cliff.

Gojiira

Its still a long way from release and after Warframe DE deserves at least a chance.
Janky really isnt a issue if its fun or compelling.
Ngl I love the concept of freeing creatures from corruption like in Princess Mononoke, the giant Boar boss they showed previously was a direct nod.
Sound design is stellar again, as is the music.
Yeah Im gonna give it a go

KXVXII9X

I’m back playing 8/16/32/64 bit games and having a blast. Games today outside a handful of the huge budget stand outs like your Zelda, Elden Ring, Spider-Man II and RDRII are so devoid of any sort of innovation or artistic class or polish it’s actually unbelievable. The games industry has let a ton of talent leave for Hollywood and replaced them with DEI hires who aren’t half as talented or experienced in the craft.

FFVII Rebirth was the straw that broke the camels back for me. A game filled with forced walking, cringe dialogue, 2006 era gameplay, pushing through gaps to hide loading, annoying mini games, drab level design and fucking with a classic story. And it got universal acclaim from both critics and fans. I feel like I’m living in the twilight zone lol.

I completed the original Mega Man for the first time over a few hours yesterday afternoon and I have to say I’ve not had that much fun or that sense of accomplishment in gaming for years. It’s art style, level design and gameplay mechanics were all top notch.
There is definitely a lack of senior talent in the industry. I always remember the Gravity Rush behind the scenes and how they brought in a senior talent that came up with having Kat's hair always point to the ground so you as a player know where the ground is. There were all of these little clever details that I find missing in so many modern games. No one seems to care how it feels to hit an enemy or if the feedback feels satisfying so you will want to keep playing. Instead, they just cram in more content to keep people playing instead while the combat is so wooden and shallow.

It is nice to revisit some of the oldies due to how much more simple and charming they were. I still want good modern games though. Recent titles like Animal Well, Unicorn Overlord, and Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown are all really well made with a fraction of the budget and resources and feel more thought out than a lot of the bigger games. Animal Well especially surprised me with how alive and deep the gameplay is despite the game being really simple on the surface. I never got into the Mega Man series but will have to try again one of these days.

I keep debating whether to try the FF7 Remake titles or not. I really enjoyed the gameplay from what I played in the demo, but the open world aspects have me already worried. I can't take most anime writing seriously (yes, I know I enjoy Unicorn overlord despite it :messenger_winking_tongue:) There are some games I absolutely can't stand that everybody loves, and I can relate to the Twilight Zone feeling lol.

I won't get too into DEI. Everyone here wants to feel included in some capacity. I feel like some of the execution of DEI has a feeling of virtue signaling and placed in poorly. As someone who does care diversity and inclusion, I hate to see it at the forefront of a game when it is hollow in every other way. There is very little care about gameplay or other elements that go into the game. Saints Row is one game that comes to mind.

There is definitely a lack of senior talent in the industry. I always remember the Gravity Rush behind the scenes and how they brought in a senior talent that came up with having Kat's hair always point to the ground so you as a player know where the ground is. There were all of these little clever details that I find missing in so many modern games. No one seems to care how it feels to hit an enemy or if the feedback feels satisfying so you will want to keep playing. Instead, they just cram in more content to keep people playing instead while the combat is so wooden and shallow.

It is nice to revisit some of the oldies due to how much more simple and charming they were. I still want good modern games though. Recent titles like Animal Well, Unicorn Overlord, and Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown are all really well made with a fraction of the budget and resources and feel more thought out than a lot of the bigger games. Animal Well especially surprised me with how alive and deep the gameplay is despite the game being really simple on the surface. I never got into the Mega Man series but will have to try again one of these days.

I keep debating whether to try the FF7 Remake titles or not. I really enjoyed the gameplay from what I played in the demo, but the open world aspects have me already worried. I can't take most anime writing seriously (yes, I know I enjoy Unicorn overlord despite it :messenger_winking_tongue:) There are some games I absolutely can't stand that everybody loves, and I can relate to the Twilight Zone feeling lol.

I won't get too into DEI. Everyone here wants to feel included in some capacity. I feel like some of the execution of DEI has a feeling of virtue signaling and placed in poorly. As someone who does care diversity and inclusion, I hate to see it at the forefront of a game when it is hollow in every other way. There is very little care about gameplay or other elements that go into the game. Saints Row is one game that comes to mind.
I enjoyed FFVII Remake because although it was also bloated to an extent it was bloated in a totally different way (back tracking to previous areas). The open World of Rebirth is absolutely awful though in comparison to RDRII, Elden Ring, BotW and even the last three AC games imo. That combined with forced mini game sections and the changes to the story just killed it for me. I did finish it though but I won’t be going near the final part. Rebirth is literally “content: the game” on the level of some of the worst Ubisoft bloat.

Rebirth is a 10 for visuals (in it’s 30fps mode), music and cut scene quality though so I can see why a lot of people like it especially if they weren’t emotionally tied to the original games story. The original was my favourite game of all time from its launch in 1997 until BotW in 2017 so yeah the story changes piss me off.

I’m hoping we eventually get a proper Remake where they redo the isometric version even if it’s just the high res character models combined with 4k backgrounds and menus.

"Souls" is a clue to why it's clunky. They're trying to rope in FROM Software fans into their f2p hamster wheel.
I’m actually surprised it took this long for a single MMO dev to try a soulslike MMO.

MMO devs are still so afraid of breaking free from WoW’s gameplay loop that they don’t see the potential goldmine right in front of them.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Interesting that the most important thing in a game like this is not a priority (the combat and all the combat animations of you and the enemies. Apart from that, it has a few interesting elements. Hopefully you can remove this filter that removes all colors. I will definitely give it a try.

draliko

Seeing things like this I can't wait for ai to handle animation and physics... The reality is game Devs quality has fallen and passion has left the show, if I need to play something soulless let it at least be technically good...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Seeing things like this I can't wait for ai to handle animation and physics... The reality is game Devs quality has fallen and passion has left the show, if I need to play something soulless let it at least be technically good...
You saying devs quality is fallen based on this game? Are ignoring the fact majority of game has great animation, just see any Capcom game will tell you that.

people going beyond hyperbolic.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
vxz3VvK.png

What does this even mean?

Camera's way too close to the character and the FOV is way too low too. Can't see shit.
Seems to be written by someone who went to the Miyazaki school of obscure storytelling but did not graduate.

ANyway the diegetic character creation is a nice touch, don't remember ever seeing something like that in a game.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
The only good thing about this venture into another game is that is gets Scott off of warframe. He was reluctant to do anything of benefit for the player when he was appointed. Hardly said a word on Dev streams; looked like he couldn't care less.

Also, any new improvements to the engine - lighting for example - are tested in soulframe and eventually come to warframe.

You saying devs quality is fallen based on this game? Are ignoring the fact majority of game has great animation, just one any Capcom game will tell you that.

people going beyond hyperbolic.
Quite a few posters randomly chose this game and thread to unload all of their industry grievances.

They should have just made a new thread since we get one of them every month anyway 🤷‍♂️

GymWolf

Gold Member
Seems to be written by someone who went to the Miyazaki school of obscure storytelling but did not graduate.

ANyway the diegetic character creation is a nice touch, don't remember ever seeing something like that in a game.
No one graduate from that school, that's how vaaty can send his 4 daughters to college.

KXVXII9X

Quite a few posters randomly chose this game and thread to unload all of their industry grievances.

They should have just made a new thread since we get one of them every month anyway 🤷‍♂️
I think I should be allowed to air my grievances about Soulframe. It is only my opinion. I get that you have issues with people being overly critical and negative and I understand that, but from what I have seen, it feels like a big case of making the graphics look pretty while the animations and everything else don't have the same kind of attention. I also don't know if it is just YouTube compression, but a lot of these games have the same smeary look with poor image quality/visual clarity. For me personally, it makes these game look a lot flatter and muddier than I like.

I'm not the only one who has pointed out concerns for this game. People are talking about how the camera is too close to the character or the blinding lights. This game is still probably in pre-alpha so these things can change. It is just harder to ignore more and more of the photorealistic games without improved animations/physics and interactivity more and more. I know for others it isn't an issue but for me it takes me completely out. My comment is more of a me issue so don't take it too hard.

Top Bottom