• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

Stallion Free said:
Every other EA game on Steam has no other DRM other than Steam. Crytek came to Steam before EA and they fucked us because of it.

There goes all your reasoning out the window.

exagerrate much? You obviously have much stronger feelings on the topic then I do, so to each their own

/thread derail

So far it will be Kings Bounty and maybe Section 8

Corto

I just need Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron to get daily deals and I'm done with steam sales fort this year! :lol

tahrikmili said:
I'm also considering getting the King's Bounty pack at that price, but I never liked the HOMM gameplay.. Any chance I'll love this despite not being fond of HOMM?

Probably not. The gameplay is really similar, and it's really the only draw for the game. And the gameplay can get pretty repetitive/grindy.

Nothing new for me today, my wallet can breathe a small sigh of relief.

Just added a bunch of you guys to my friend's list who've posted on the past few pages. Anyone is welcome add me as well, same account name for both.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Corto said:
I just need Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron to get daily deals and I'm done with steam sales fort this year! :lol

Exactly what I am waiting for as well.

I actually consider buying the paradox pack for that.

Dunlop said:
is there a way to save a gift (i.e I do not have a user name to give it to)?

My buddy is a huge fan of Heroes of Might and Magic, not really my thing but I assume he would love these games.

Problem is he is out of town for a week and does not have a steam account
You can just send it your friend's email address. Steam will tell him to sign up, and give the games to his account then.

Alternately you can send the gift to your own email, tell your friend to join Steam, then go to Games > Manage Gifts and Guess Passes in the Steam client to redirect the unredeemed gift purchase to your friend.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Tempted to buy Crysis or trade for it from a Euro Man. Mind PMing me the deals or something?

Also how much would it be exactly if I did. I looked at the conversion rates and it's listing about 7.50$?

1-D_FTW

Dunlop said:
exagerrate much? You obviously have much stronger feelings on the topic then I do, so to each their own

/thread derail

So far it will be Kings Bounty and maybe Section 8

And your earlier post was completed deluded. The shittiest of the shitty DRM doesn't boost profitability one bit. Those games are either avoided like the plague or played only by the pirates. It's not a solution at all.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
shintoki said:
Tempted to buy Crysis or trade for it from a Euro Man. Mind PMing me the deals or something?

Also how much would it be exactly if I did. I looked at the conversion rates and it's listing about 7.50$?

Write me a pm if I am the first one.

poweld

Could someone in Euroland help a US GAFer out with a copy of Crisis Complete? I can gift PayPal in return, or something on Steam of equal value.

Please PM me if you'd be kind enough to help out!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Pimpbaa said:
Does SimCity 4 have any issues running on modern hardware and windows 7?
Yes, it randomly crashes and loses all your progress, unless you manually save every 5 seconds (you can never be too sure).

Also, you have to turn down stuff down the minimal graphic settings. Sure, the game runs fine with everything on high, but wait until you get a full city with buildings and twinkly lights all over the place - every time you zoom, you have to wait around 5 seconds for all the animations to load up.

And let's not even talk about the shadows - they have to be off for the game to be playable at all.

Parham

Banned
shintoki said:

poweld said:
Could someone in Euroland help a US GAFer out with a copy of Crisis Complete? I can gift PayPal in return, or something on Steam of equal value.

Please PM me if you'd be kind enough to help out!

.Nimrod and Polk are helping people get Crysis in the gifting thread.

Corto

Toma said:
Exactly what I am waiting for as well.

I actually consider buying the paradox pack for that.

Jesus, you're creeping me out! That's exactly what I was considering... hehehehe But as I took the plunge today and got Warband on the daily deal the incentive to get the whole Paradox package is diminished. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until the end of the sale to see EU and HI on the daily deals from now on.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dice said:
You don't play all puzzle games in windowed mode?
Played Toki Tori with my SSFIV fightpad on the couch. Wasn't so bad then, because it was pixel art, but RUSH just looks horribly aliased.

DogWelder

Legendary Warrior said:
No, Complete was definitely $20 before this sale.
Well I meant Warband, not Complete, but yeah if it was $20, then the individuals games were definitely not -75%. Temptation...rising.

~Kinggi~

Banned
drizzle said:
Yes, it randomly crashes and loses all your progress, unless you manually save every 5 seconds (you can never be too sure).

Also, you have to turn down stuff down the minimal graphic settings. Sure, the game runs fine with everything on high, but wait until you get a full city with buildings and twinkly lights all over the place - every time you zoom, you have to wait around 5 seconds for all the animations to load up.

And let's not even talk about the shadows - they have to be off for the game to be playable at all.
yuck

Blizzard

Banned
drizzle said:

D: Anyone else got confirmation on this? My plan today is:
* IL-2 1946
* Lost Horizons
* SimCity 4

I'll ditch SimCity 4 is the performance is so bad though. I still have an old boxed retail version of 2000 with floppy disks around, I think.

I think I'm getting Lost Horizons because I lurves me some adventure games. I just checked, and apparently the Culpa Innata sequel is still delayed, but still not scrapped. I actually have some old cheap retail adventure game pack that features at least one of the Secret Files games (Tunguska?) if those are worth playing.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
drizzle said:

~Kinggi~ said:
At least that's how it works on my qx6700 with 4 gigs of ram and a 8800gtx. I'm also talking about the disk version. somebody should really get the Steam version and give out their experience. I've been waiting for a Steam Deal to see if the game runs as poorly, but I'm not willing to spend 5 bucks to find out.

Toma

Corto said:
Jesus, you're creeping me out! That's exactly what I was considering... hehehehe But as I took the plunge today and got Warband on the daily deal the incentive to get the whole Paradox package is diminished. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until the end of the sale to see EU and HI on the daily deals from now on.

Well then I better keep it to myself that I also bought Warband on the daily deal :p

I still consider doing it due to all the games I can check out plus all the addons I can get with it.
Still a good price for everything Europa universalis and every hearts of iron plus 10 something games on top I can check out.

...of course only if I cant get a daily deal for them.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Feels like they are slowly getting to the bottom of the barrel for this years sales. Guess i can save some money though over the next week :D

Blizzard

Banned
Sysgen said:
Interested in Lost Horizon? It's $5 on Amazon
Son of a...hmmmmm. Digital download, so I don't have to pay Amazon shipping. How does that download system work? Is there any DRM involved with running the game, install limits, being online, etc.?

Toma

evlcookie said:
Feels like they are slowly getting to the bottom of the barrel for this years sales. Guess i can save some money though over the next week :D

Actually I wish they would. There are quite a few older games I am holding out for.

Dunlop

evlcookie said:

yeah, I am dissapointed and yet happy at the same time

Toma

Blizzard said:
Son of a...hmmmmm. Digital download, so I don't have to pay Amazon shipping. How does that download system work? Is there any DRM involved with running the game, install limits, being online, etc.?

No. You can download it as often as you want, install it everywhere you want. I participated in a thread for it and tested it myself. Its as "open" and harmless and DD can possibly get.

Nabs

Lyphen said:
Played Toki Tori with my SSFIV fightpad on the couch. Wasn't so bad then, because it was pixel art, but RUSH just looks horribly aliased.

Are you sure you have the settings set correctly? It's a little complicated, but I think you have to click on the box until it says Anti-Aliasing.

Blizzard

Banned
Toma said:
No. You can download it as often as you want, install it everywhere you want. I participated in a thread for it and tested it myself. Its as "open" and harmless and DD can possibly get.
Well, thanks for that, and thanks Sysgen for the tip. $5 Lost Horizon for me (I even read Lost Horizon(s), though this game may be unrelated). Amazon wins today! *edit* Looks like I have to install an Amazon downloader client though. I'll try to uninstall it when I'm done.

In RUSH, I think the only graphics option that looks decent is the anti-aliased one, like Nabs said.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Only SimCity4 for me today.

Now I just need the Jedi Knight Collection, the Max Payne bundle, and Company of Heroes Complete, and I'll be done with this sale

demosthenes said:
Friend loves Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles...so you're saying I should get this for him? :D

Games like Fire Emblem and VC are actually pretty different from King's Bounty. Heroes of Might and Magic is the closest comparison, or maybe some thing like Age of Wonders.

I might not be the best guy to ask though, as while I love turn based strategy games I actually think King's Bounty is pretty terrible. The battles are massively repetitive with very little strategic differentiation between one and the next. Occasionally an enemy hero or group of unique enemies will challenge you, but be prepared for continually fighting 10-15 battles against the exact same enemy groups on the exact same terrain time and time again using the exact same tactics each time. Ohh, and when you wear down from combat you have to walk back to the various castles to refill your unit types.

This formula actually worked much better in Heroes of Might and Magic as in those games you had enemy (or other player) heroes actively running around and fighting the same mobs and looting the same treasures. So in those games you actually had a reason to be both smart and picky about who you fought and when you fought them. But in KB it's just you versus the static world so you have no reason not to just safely grind mobs in the easiest fashion. Especially since tackling tougher enemies will just kill more of your troops (even if you win) and thus requiring you to run back and forth to refill your troops even more often. It really just seems like a grind game to me, charming for sure, but just a grind.

Much of GAF would not agree with me, but I'd get Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic or Heroes III Complete from GOG instead.

Veal

DAMMIT! Both Crysis and Dirt 2 go on sale when I'm broke! Is there any chance any of the games will go back back on sale before the end of the year? Or am I assed out?

Dryst

Neo Member
Anymore reviews for King's Bounty? Brigandine/FFT are my all time favorite games... does the game stay fresh and fun being able to recruit a bunch of different monsters in your party or does it get reptitive?

Is it bad when I see the Crysis deal, and wish I didn't already have it (from the last Christmas Sale) because it's such a good deal, and then realize I haven't played more than 30min of Crysis, and I have never installed Warhead. :lol

Gabe, you sly dog you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom