• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
damn gta 4 is 5 bucks on amazon. that is what i wanted to pay for it but i would rather have it tied in with my steam account. i hope it goes on sale soon.

Danj

fatty said:
Have a question about playing Dragon's Age: Ultimate Editon.

Do I need to create an online EA account to activate the DLC?

On the main options screen it gives me choices to redeem individual DLC codes but I only have the two codes, one for UE and one for UE DLC. When I try to start a new game it says I need to log in with an account that has previously purchased the content, and the content I have now is installed but not authorized yet.

I don't care about an online account with achievements, wallpaper, etc., I just want to play the gameb but would rather not create an online account to do so.

Yes you do need to create an EA account. No there is no getting around it, if you want to use the DLC you need the account. It's basically like the Cerberus Network on Mass Effect 2. Also, the code you actually redeem is the UE DLC one, the other one you put in the first time you run the game.

dani_dc

For anyone that might have somehow missed Torchlight.

Steam seems to have forgotten to put the price back up :lol

So Torchlight is still 75% off.

Danj

Dice said:
Yeah, there were two sets when I said to install the complete pack, I thought it was weird but left them all checked anyway. Maybe they wouldn't appear if you uncheck the ones that don't affect the download size at install. Doesn't bother me because I always have it set to only display installed games and they aren't on that list.

The extra entries are the Mac versions I believe.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
dani_dc said:
For anyone that might have somehow missed Torchlight.

Steam seems to have forgotten to put the price back up :lol

So Torchlight is still 75% off.
I have been on the fence between Torchlight and Witcher. I was decided on Witcher then you fucked me with this. Thanks jerky!

What to do, what to do!?

Glix said:
Anyone want to give me opinions on the Might and Magic pack? Its Heroes V and its expansions, and DMoM&M. I'm not going to buy it today, hoping for a daily deal, but is V a good HoMandM? I don't think I've played one since 2 or 3. What about Dark Messiah? I remember it being panned when it came out, was it ever patched or anything?

For that matter, I remember Vampire:TM being panned when it came out, was it misunderstood? or was it patched?

I think Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is pretty awesome, even with kicking being as overpowered as it is. Very atmospheric and some cool level design. Calling it Fantasy Half Life 2 might be a stretch but it's damn good IMO.

Never played HoMM5, the only ones I played were 2 and 4. If I had to rank them they would come in behind Warlords, Warlords II, Disciples 2, Age of Wonders, and Master of Magic for my favorite strategic fantasy wargames, but HoMM 2 and 4 were still both pretty good.

Truespeed

Basileus777 said:
Yeah, they list the mac versions of the game even on Windows.

Odd. Anyway, I created a Mac games category and moved them there. Not sure why I need a Mac games category on a Windows 7 system, but at least they're out of the way :)

Blizzard

Banned
Wellington said:
I have been on the fence between Torchlight and Witcher. I was decided on Witcher then you fucked me with this. Thanks jerky!

What to do, what to do!?
Pay $10, get both! :D

*edit* To the guy below, the original King's Bounty has some tutorial/intro battles at the beginning that help somewhat.

Xapati

Does King's Bounty have a tutorial? I downloaded the demo for Armored Princess was immediately tossed the world with no clue whatsoever. I have no desire to figure everything out by myself.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Truespeed said:
Odd. Anyway, I created a Mac games category and moved them there. Not sure why I need a Mac games category on a Windows 7 system, but at least they're out of the way :)
I ended up doing the same. They must be the Mac versions since they come up as incompatible on my PC.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
I'm going to wait until the end of the sale on the Sherlock Holmes Steam pack, since I suddenly find myself wanting to play adventure games again. Overall, the Sherlock games are at least decent, right?
Wow, didn't notice them! How did you find the pack, is there some overview I've missed?

Glix

Wellington said:

What to do, what to do!?

They are very different. The Witcher is more of a real-deal RPG, torchlight is an AWESOME loot game.

I've been playing both for the last week, and I LOVE them both, its really down to personal preference.

In my case, Torchlight wins, because you can save to the cloud, and it runs on my work machine, so its totally awesome for me.

taku

wmat said:
Don't believe the lies. Torchlight sucks.
Whaaaa? I thought torchlight was amazing. Granted, I played it just when it came out and I was itching for some diablo-esque gameplay at the time..

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Torchlight is pretty much just grinding for loot. It is very boring. I like the artstyle and the fact that it runs well on computers with less 'power', but that's not worth much when the game is so reduced.

To name something else for reference, Titan Quest is clearly the better game in my opinion.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
taku said:
Whaaaa? I thought torchlight was amazing. Granted, I played it just when it came out and I was itching for some diablo-esque gameplay at the time..

It wasnt on par with Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 look miles better but it was by no means a bad game. Me AND my gf played through it almost nonstop. Good times. Oh and the mods were quite good. Many ways to tweak the experience to your likings.

Edit:
But wmat is still right with Titan Quest. Also the better game for me.

Xapati said:
Does King's Bounty have a tutorial? I downloaded the demo for Armored Princess was immediately tossed the world with no clue whatsoever. I have no desire to figure everything out by myself.

I think the first game had a reasonable way to introduce you into the game. So check out the demo for that, but the series tends to expect hardcore people to understand the mechanics. I would say its very easy to get into if you think of how playing chess.

seady

Is SimCity 4 on Steam playable on Mac?

I thought the retail version are playable on both platform. Kind of disappointing that many of these games are PC only when they can be played on Mac in the retail version.

Wallach

wmat said:

darkpaladinmfc said:

2FhjL.jpg

confused said:
what's the limit ?
The limit is probably $150 or $200. I've got $107 in my wallet and I wanted to add the extra $100 so that I'd be ready for the mega packs after daily sales die down.

This will not affect my buying habits anyway so it's fine.
kennah said:
But how will you buy Railworks!?
I'm not sure...

:'(
wmat said:
You're a bad person and you should feel bad.

:mad:

Alts

seady said:
Is SimCity 4 on Steam playable on Mac?

I thought the retail version are playable on both platform. Kind of disappointing that many of these games are PC only when they can be played on Mac in the retail version.

Sorry. Windows only.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why do I feel like I just made a terrible mistake in buying Global Agenda?

It hasn't finished downloading but I've got this gut feeling now that it's going to be garbage. Would have been nice to get said feeling before I bought it. :lol

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Feeling the itch. I need to buy something. Thinking about the Indie 2D pack. VVVVVVV looks like classic mega man-esque platforming and Super Laser Racer almost looks like Super Off Road. Galcon I have on iPhone... Geometry wars is great even though I'm not so much into multi-directional shooters.

Wellington said:
Any chance The Witcher comes back on sale? Regret not snapping it up and I have exactly $5.04 in my account, which would have been enough for me to net it. :lol
Considering it already made a return on the second chance day, a third chance seems a bit much. But we don't really know if the last day of the sale will include any stuff from the first week, so I guess there's still some slight chance.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
To be fair, I snatched Torchlight up when it was on sale for supercheap moneys, so I'm not complaining about having bought it. And if Titan Quest wouldn't exist, it would be much more awesome just for doing something against the Diablo itch.

I'd say it doesn't hurt checking it out at least (there's a demo). My opinion is usually not compatible with the general view on games. If you're like me though, you'll descend to some level, check some challenge levels, boost your loot to some point and then you're done with it. It took me 2 hours to get there.

Sinatar said:
Why do I feel like I just made a terrible mistake in buying Global Agenda?

It hasn't finished downloading but I've got this gut feeling now that it's going to be garbage. Would have been nice to get said feeling before I bought it. :lol
should have downloaded the demo ;P

Blizzard

Banned
Bufbaf said:
Wow, didn't notice them! How did you find the pack, is there some overview I've missed?
I just typed sherlock holmes into the search box, and saw the pack here: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2696/

Since it's 75% off it probably won't go lower, but I'll probably wait just to be safe. Today's haul: $22.50 on Amazon for 6 games, $6.70 on Steam for 2 games, keepin' the average low! :lol

Oreoleo

mikespit1200 said:
Feeling the itch. I need to buy something. Thinking about the Indie 2D pack. VVVVVVV looks like classic mega man-esque platforming and Super Laser Racer almost looks like Super Off Road. Galcon I have on iPhone... Geometry wars is great even though I'm not so much into multi-directional shooters.

VVVVVV is the best 2 hour long retro platformer you could ask for. Super Laser Racer is a lot of fun that you can get a couple hours out of and GeoWars is GeoWars. For $5 it's hard to beat.

Yaweee

Xapati said:

Yes, there are proper tutorials in both The Legend and Armored Princess that do decent jobs of laying out the mechanics, but can be a little bit boring. You can skip them if you want, but you do get some (easily replaceable) treasure (equipment/spells) doing them.

The two mini-campaigns included in Crossworlds don't have tutorials.

DOBERMAN INC said:
Thinking of buying IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 but have never played a sim like this before, Is it possible without a stick and for someone ignorant to the genre?

no. god no. the last time i played that if you werent on a stick you didnt stand a chance! things may have changed but seriously get a stick or dont buy.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone with impressions on the Sherlock games?

The best seem to average at 70% on gamerankings.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Are there any sub $1 games worth grabbing? I have $1.82 left on a gift card and I can't figure out a way to add it to steam wallet or paypal without fees.

edit: already have winterbottom.

vazel

Banned
mikespit1200 said:
Are there any sub $1 games worth grabbing? I have $1.82 left on a gift card and I can't figure out a way to add it to steam wallet or paypal without fees.

Get Railroad Tycoon 2!

Toma

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, Warhead is sort of short as hell. Is the original game longer? Or at least, more jungle awesomeness and less icy shit?

Also, does it run as well? IIRC Warhead runs better.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Orellio said:
Big comfy couch eh?
Nah, I'm sitting on an office chair and resting my feet on the stereo under my desk. My mouse is on an old drum stool. I taped white paper onto it so that the IR from the mouse doesn't get irritated.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
mikespit1200 said:

Anyone try Gravitron? looks vaguely like PJ Shooter.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Toma said:
Anyone with impressions on the Sherlock games?

The best seem to average at 70% on gamerankings.
My girlfriend enjoys them despite being kind of average/below average adventure games (from my limited experience with them). They aren't bad from what I've seen as long as you don't go in expecting anything amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom