• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just had a lengthy session in Killing Floor. I'm really happy I finally bought it, really satisfying to play. Headshots with them rifles feels so good.

LQX

Visualante said:
As in accessible to someone who hasn't played the previous entries in the genre. I understand there has been a significant growth of features between 2, 3 and 4. I played the original when it was simple. I think Sim City Socities or whatever that spin-off was, could have been an admission that the games got too overwhelming.

Yeah and Civ is just building towns and liaising with fellow nations :lol
I got SimCity 4 for the iPod and was my first time playing the series. It has a smart easy tutorial. PC version doesn't have this?

vocab

Nitemare1 said:
Going though old reviews and letting myself be talked into buying King's Bounty... damn it!

King's Bounty is godlike. I mean what game allows you to marry a zombie wife, gear up your wife and kids for combat bonuses, and then kick them to the curb for a hot pirate wife?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Good gracious Mirror's Edge looks horrible with anything but "Lowest" on the post-processing option. Why would you take such a beautiful, crisp looking game and completely blow out every highlight, smear the whole thing with blur, blur it even more when it moves, then add yet even more blur whenever you run quickly, land, or grab something? Especially when it hurts performance so much? So maybe people would run it in 720 to get 60fps and make it even more blurry?

John

tahrikmili said:
I installed WARHEAD but never launched it.. If I replace my CPU now, will I lose an activation? Does anyone know? :(

God I hate DRM..
your cpu? i don't know for sure but i doubt it

Wallach

tahrikmili said:
I installed WARHEAD but never launched it.. If I replace my CPU now, will I lose an activation? Does anyone know? :(

God I hate DRM..

Can't imagine you would if you just swapped CPUs, it wouldn't require a re-install of the game or anything.

LQX said:
I got SimCity 4 for the iPod and was my first time playing the series. It has a smart easy tutorial. PC version doesn't have this?
I bought SC4 today and just from the main menu screen it looked like the main map had tutorial areas. I may be wrong though.

Goddamn. I was convinced that I could wait to get a decent video card until around March when I get a good bit of extra cash (I'm not a hardcore PC gamer; I only dabble in it when my console gaming gets a little stale, like at the end of its life cycle), but buying Crysis today has me wanting one NOW! My computer meets the minimum specs, but it just BARELY runs the damn thing. And the framerate is so inconsistent that I just had to shut it off. I wish minimum requirements meant that you could run the game with a consistent 30 fps with the lowest settings, not just barely able to run the program.

Thanks, Steam. Thanks for making me have to spend more of my money to play the games you sell so dirt cheap. :(

Any suggestions on a okay card for between $100-150? Preferably ATI.

Here's my damage report:

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - $0.50
Deus Ex package - $2.99
F.E.A.R. package - $9.99
Bully - $4.99
The Witcher - $4.99
Crysis package - $9.99

Essentially 12 games (including sequels and expansions) for around $33. Not bad.

So what is even left to go on-sale this year? Supreme Commander 2 is almost certainly a lock for 75% in the next couple of days right? Everything has been on sale ... it's nuts!

Does this version of SC4 include the Rush Hour expansion... I might double dip if so. I love the game, played it for years when it was released

LCfiner

CrashPrime said:
So what is even left to go on-sale this year? Supreme Commander 2 is almost certainly a lock for 75% in the next couple of days right? Everything has been on sale ... it's nuts!

I'm waiting for metro 2033 to be a daily deal.

Owzers

I don't think i'm getting anything today again. I don't want to add Crysis to my backlog since it won't run on my laptop, and i already have a huge backlog of games that will run on it.

Things to get next year:

Crysis
NWN 2

naib

I've got a decent rig, but a kinda meek video card(5770). Is Crysis worth picking up? Is it even fun? I've always just kinda seen it as a benchmarking tool.

edit: looks like I might be able to swing 30fps at 1900x1200?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
kadotsu said:
Shouldn't that be cheap at retail (registers with Steam). I got mine for 10€.
PC version is rare..ish. No retail stores carry it anymore and I can only find it online for like 50+ dollars, amazon with like 80 dollars for used.

Grisby

First purchases of the sale for me, probably the last to. Going to pick up the Crysis pack for when I can finally play it. Been wanting to give Armored Princess a shot for some time as well so thats in the bin. I've never played a Kings Bounty game and have no idea for what I'm in for but the art style is appealing.

Well played Steam. Well played.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
naib said:
I've got a decent rig, but a kinda meek video card(5770). Is Crysis worth picking up? Is it even fun? I've always just kinda seen it as a benchmarking tool.

It's 3 years old, it ran on good hardware when it released, so it'll run on good hardware now.

I swear people treat this game like the boogyman or something.

EU 3 Complete and Football Manager 2011 pretty please :(

I just ordered a new CPU (Athlon II X4 640) because of this sale.. I bought enough games to play for a whole year, I may as well spend the money saved on enjoying them better :D

I spent all my budget I put aside for this sale so I think I am done.

I got
Alpha Protocol
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
Bully
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Deus Ex GOTY
Deus Ex Invisible War
Just Cause 2
PB Winterbottem
Super Meat Boy

All for a total of...$41.00! An average of $4 a game.

I love steam.

Yaweee

CrashPrime said:

The Last Remnant (Has been $10 in the past, but nothing recently)
Left 4 Dead 2 (was $7.50 months ago)
A specific EU3 sale (rather than just parts of the Paradox collection)
Braid (rather than just part of a package, could be $1~2)

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
just ended a one-hour session with Darksiders. my goodness, what a game! the person/people who decided to bork controller support, though, deserve to catch a nasty STD.

geeko

I have 5 dollars left to spend, almost bought dirt 2, but I'm hoping Left for dead 2 comes up for 4.99.... PLEASE GABE.

Blizzard

Banned
Dice said:
Good gracious Mirror's Edge looks horrible with anything but "Lowest" on the post-processing option. Why would you take such a beautiful, crisp looking game and completely blow out every highlight, smear the whole thing with blur, blur it even more when it moves, then add yet even more blur whenever you run quickly, land, or grab something? Especially when it hurts performance so much? So maybe people would run it in 720 to get 60fps and make it even more blurry?
Really? Highest settings look pretty great to me, especially if you go with 8xQAA despite the performance hit. You can adjust brightness and contrast settings if everything is washed out, but I really didn't mind the screen-border blur when you run. I'm usually looking straight ahead when running, but I suppose preferences differ. I don't even remember blue when landing or grabbing...when I land I almost always roll anyway.

Stitch

Gold Member
scorcho said:
just ended a one-hour session with Darksiders. my goodness, what a game! the person/people who decided to bork controller support, though, deserve to catch a nasty STD.
meh, it's worse that there are no graphics settings.
had to force anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing through the driver settings...
the game looks shitty without AF and AA...

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
geeko420 said:
I have 5 dollars left to spend, almost bought dirt 2, but I'm hoping Left for dead 2 comes up for 4.99.... PLEASE GABE.
Waiting for this one too.

Have only started using Steam 2 days ago. Already own 18 Games with a value of$215.83 USD according to steam calculator.
The prices are ridiculous. How is any of this legal?!
Looks like steam produced another future PC gamer here. :lol

d[-_-]b

Banned
vocab said:
King's Bounty is godlike. I mean what game allows you to marry a zombie wife, gear up your wife and kids for combat bonuses, and then kick them to the curb for a hot pirate wife?
Were we playing the same game?

Salsa

CrashPrime said:

Fuckin Far Cry 2 dammit

also Psychonauts

Artofwar420

Today's damage (Still in Cart)

Mount and Blade: Warband $7.49
Toki Tori $1.25
RUSH $1.69
Crysis® Maximum Edition $9.99
DOOM Pack Complete $8.74

Total $29.16

Still thinking about Doom Pack Complete, I already have Doom 3 and I'm pondering whether or not the rest of the Dooms are worth the price.

naib said:

Here's my 5770 running Crysis at 1080p, all settings set to "High" but with textures set to highest. There's a slight FPS drop due to Fraps, but other than that it runs fine.

What I am still waiting for:

Age of Wonders trilogy at 66-75%
Need for Speed:Shift at 66-75%
Divinity 2 at 75%
Sacred 2 at 75%
Gothic 1 by itself for 50%
Mayhem Intergalactic at 75%
Gun at 75-80%

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Xamdou said:
Does King's bounty have multi-player or only SP? And how is the game any good?

Single player only. As for if it's any good? I put The Legend in God Tier status, game is fucking incredible.

Okay I think I'm definitely going to skip Crossworlds as I haven't even finished Legend yet. So it's Warband vs. Lost Horizon...do I want a better experience when I dig into Mount and Blade in a couple weeks? OTOH, seems to go on sale a lot...

Who can offer some impressions of Lost Horizon?

Artofwar420 said:
Today's damage (Still in Cart)

Mount and Blade: Warband $7.49
Toki Tori $1.25
RUSH $1.69
Crysis® Maximum Edition $9.99
DOOM Pack Complete $8.74

Total $29.16

Still thinking about Doom Pack Complete, I already have Doom 3 and I'm pondering whether or not the rest of the Dooms are worth the price.

Sadly, they are not. Doom I/II really do not hold up well. I grew up on Wolf3d and Doom and even the nostalgia is lost on those games after playing modern era FPS with proper freelook.

If it was the Quake pack, it'd be worth twice the asking price. Those games are still an absolute riot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wellington said:
Any chance The Witcher comes back on sale? Regret not snapping it up and I have exactly $5.04 in my account, which would have been enough for me to net it. :lol

Someone might've mentioned it already, but you can get it on Amazon for $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom