• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
Nabs said:
Do you have an ATI card? Try disabling Catalyst AI in CCC. If that doesn't work, try forcing DX9 in "Launch Options" by adding -dx9.

Hopefully that fixes your problem. That's all I found from a quick google search.

Geeforce here :(

Hm, will try to force DX9.

robjoh

Toma said:
Okay, here's my daily CivCity: Rome (the game most of you overlook, even though it only costs you 1$/€) appreciation report.

I am on the fence, how well does CivCity: Rome work under Vista? I can only find the following information

Minimum: Windows 2000/XP, 1.6 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 2.5 GB uncompressed space, 64 MB video card (with Hardware T&L, nVidia GeForce 3/ATI Radeon 8500 or better), DirectX 7 compatible sound card, DirectX Version 9.0c

And as this is my first steam sale I am not sure if that means that it works on my laptop.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
robjoh said:
I am on the fence, how well does CivCity: Rome work under Vista? I can only find the following information

And as this is my first steam sale I am not sure if that means that it works on my laptop.

In general people here are nice and tell if there are problems with certain games. I and my gf are playing on Vista and have absolutely no problems running it :) Its a bit stretched, but it never crashed, hung up or showed any bugs. Also never heard of anyone with a problem.
Seriously a 1$/€ you wont regret.

robjoh

Toma said:
In general people here are nice and tell if there are problems with certain games. I and my gf are playing on Vista and have absotely no problems running it :) Its a bit stretched, but it never crashed, hung up or showed any bugs.
Seriously a 1$/€ you wont regret.

Thanks! I will probarbly buy it later today or tomorrow.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tim-E said:
I bought CivCity thanks to your posts. Be proud.

Mission accomplished :D

I just think its sad that people will never buy this game again if the sale is over because I wont be able to convince anyone to pick up a 10€/$ steam game they never heard about. And I dont think they will make a sale again but I am convinced a lot of people will like it, soooo I am trying my best.

Additionally, if you run into any unexplained problems, you can ask me directly in steam or via pm. There were some parts I was discussing with my gf what the game wanted from us. There is a nice tutorial but some things are definitely explained not enough.

robjoh

So now I have bought CivCity:Rome and Greed Corp.

So in total spent the huge sum of 13.39€ for the following games:
Zombie Driver
Super Meat Boy
Puzzle Quest
Toki Tori
Rush
Greed Corp
CivCity: Rome

I am more than happy, for the moment I do not feel any need for anything more.

1-D_FTW

Windows 7 has blue screens of death? Yikes. Anyone know how to retrieve the info (don't know why they can't hold it for 10 seconds so you can read it).

Dead Space blue screened on my Windows 7 64 bit during the super long (and unskippable) opening.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Toma, does CivCity support multiplayer modes of some sort?

Toma

Bufbaf said:
Toma, does CivCity support multiplayer modes of some sort?

Nope, but it doesnt really work with this kind of game anyway. Its not turn based, so hot seat is no option. And LAN/Internet competitive play make no sense because the main focus is not about the combat but the building and managing of your city. Combat and hostile forces are one factor to equate, not the main one as it should be for competetive play.

I love some good mp options (You have no idea how I was swearing at the omission of Hotseat Mp in CIV5 at launch) but this game wouldnt benefit from it at all.
The campaign is veeery well made and worth a playthrough (~6 hours up to now, maybe 20 all together based on the mapsize?). No idea whether the single missions can keep my attention after that though. But I wont complain about 20 hours of fun for 1€ :lol

1-D_FTW

Odds are, once again, it has to do with my audigy 2. Ran the intro with the audio being outputted via HDMI Nvidia High Definition driver on my GTX 460 and no crash.

BothBarsOn said:
Can't believe how well Dead Space runs in Bootcamp on my 330m Macbook Pro. <Tears of pride> Plucky little feller ...

Yeah. It really uses almost no resources from what I can see. GPU and CPU were barely working.

Toma

And GREAT. There are bigger maps in this game :D :D :D
I am finally staring at quite a big map with lots of valleys and hindrances. Nice, nice, nice. Oh god, this game is so good =/ It just erased my last complaint (except no widescreen view mode) I had.

Volcynika

I put in about an hour and a half into The Ball last night, and I have to say it seems pretty solid for the mechanics. There's nothing that really stands out over the adventure so far making me go "OMG SO AWWWWWWWWESOME," but the puzzles aren't too terribly difficult and the monsters I've encountered so far haven't been too crazy hard. It doesn't really have any clever context or witty comments to go along with it, but it's still pretty entertaining.

A big public thank you to HK-47 for the Amnesia gift yesterday. :D

EDIT: oh and I loaded up all the maps you were asking about on the GAF server

Double D

Any tips on how to get Warhead to run a little better? I feel like my PC should be able to kick this game right in the ovaries, but I'm still getting weird stuff like the game pausing for a second every time a bomb drops, and, frankly, it just doesn't look that great compared to what I remember of the original Crysis, which I played on my old PC.

Specs:
Q9300 Quad @2.5Ghz
4GB Ram
EVGA GTX 465 1gb
Win7 64

Peterthumpa

Vik_Vaughn said:
Any tips on how to get Warhead to run a little better? I feel like my PC should be able to kick this game right in the ovaries, but I'm still getting weird stuff like the game pausing for a second every time a bomb drops, and, frankly, it just doesn't look that great compared to what I remember of the original Crysis, which I played on my old PC.

Specs:
Q9300 Quad @2.5Ghz
4GB Ram
EVGA GTX 465 1gb
Win7 64
Lower the AA amount (if used) and download the CCC mod linked a few pages back.
Also, try running Warhead in DX9.

But yeah, got both games and Crysis seems to run better than Warhead too, despite every review saying otherwise. Looks are the same though.

JDS 1977

Banned
Grabbed AVP 2010 off Amazon for 5$ since I have gift balance there and activated the key on steam. So in case anyone missed that sale you ca grab the key there and use it on Steam.

Dascu

sillymonkey321 said:
Would Amnesia play decently with a gamepad?
It doesn't support a gamepad and, frankly, it would be difficult to map certain actions (like opening doors) to a gamepad. The mouse/keyboard controls work perfectly.

If you're on the fence about buying it, try the demo.

Toma

YuriLowell said:
So its now a new hobby to gift shitty games to people on steam. It works great.
Except for the fact that I now own kane and lynch 2.

Are you complaining about a free game? :-o

IrishNinja

about an hour and 45 minutes, GAF.
now's the time to cave in & buy Amnesia and plants vs zombies, while the rest of us start talking which games we're hoping to see on sale today, both realistic and not. looking at my wishlist...they've covered most of my bases, i just passed on double-dipping on a few of them out of cheapness/principle, figured i can hold out till the next big sale for a few.

i don't think i'm ever going to finish installing games. saving the Witcher for last for being so ginormous.

YuriLowell said:
So its now a new hobby to gift shitty games to people on steam. It works great.
Except for the fact that I now own kane and lynch 2.

I mean, maybe someone liked it and thought you would too....

fake edit: "my womb is impregnable"? LOL

Owzers

Dascu said:
It doesn't support a gamepad and, frankly, it would be difficult to map certain actions (like opening doors) to a gamepad. The mouse/keyboard controls work perfectly.

If you're on the fence about buying it, try the demo.

I did try the demo which led me to that question :p I usually stick to pc games that don't make me move around in 3d spaces with a keyboard unless i can use a gamepad. The opening doors thing doesn't sound tricky to map, but it might not work well. Would just have to assign the left mouse button to R1 and use the analog stick along with it like you would a mouse....

kamspy

Toma said:
Okay, here's my daily CivCity: Rome

I've been looking for a proper SimCity clone. I've been playing Tropico 3 and getting a decent fix out of it, but this looks pretty close too.

So is it more SimCity or more Civ? Not a fan of Civ.

Toma

kamspy said:
I've been looking for a proper SimCity clone. I've been playing Tropico 3 and getting a decent fix out of it, but this looks pretty close too.

So is it more SimCity or more Civ? Not a fan of Civ.

More SimCity. But its actually a third type of game and a bit different from both of them. Similar games were Children of the Nile, Casear, Pharaoh etc. If you dont know any of these games SimCity is probably the closest comparison I can give though.

Edit: Settlers would be a bit similar too. Maybe a mix between settlers and SimCity.

Magni

Only bought Arrowhead so far (missed Arma 2 since I was internetless from the 23rd to the the 28th :/) since I'm trying to keep my expenses in check.

Only three more days to resist (or to finally cave in ><)

Only thing I have from the sales right now is the SSHD gold pack for £3, If Republic Commando doesn't go on sale by the last day then it's current 50% off price will be a sale also.

I gifted a gaffer super meat boy if you wanted to count £3 or so into my low total :p

Tempted to buy the ball but I doubt I would play it any time soon, too many games to get through, for the first time ever I have unopened cases in my game shelving, it's been like 10 years since I was this far behind :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
wsippel said:
You don't. Have to buy them on the EA Store as far as I can tell. Yeah, it's bullshit.
As far as I can tell, I can download the DLC from the site as many times as I like and I can install it as many times as I like as long as I am logged into my account in the game. What is so terrible about that? Yeah, I would prefer it on Steam, but they aren't doing anything terribly wrong that is anti-consumer.

confused

Banned
Ok, now All I need is Far Cry 1 & 2 and I will have replaced my whole retail collection with their Steam counterparts.

Make it so, Steam

Double D

Stallion Free said:
As far as I can tell, I can download the DLC from the site as many times as I like and I can install it as many times as I like as long as I am logged into my account in the game. What is so terrible about that? Yeah, I would prefer it on Steam, but they aren't doing anything terribly wrong that is anti-consumer.

The only terrible thing I can see is that I was expecting to go grab it for cheap on Steam, whereas I assume it is currently full price through the EA store.

kamspy

confused said:
Ok, now All I need is Far Cry 1 & 2 and I will have replaced my whole retail collection with their Steam counterparts.

Make it so, Steam

With all the Ubi sales I wouldn't doubt it.

Prince of Persia, Ghost Recon, Silent Hunter, AssCreed, and Splinter Cell have all been on sale.

...this could also mean a Rainbow 6 sale is incoming.

Stitch

Gold Member
Vik_Vaughn said:
The CCC mod works with Warhead, and not just the first Crysis, right?
well it should. it just creates a config file.

anti-aliasing seems to have a huuuge impact on performance so I'm using ege-anti-aliasing :-/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
confused said:
Must be nice. I have about 20-30 games that aren't on Steam or any other form of DD.

Toma

SteelAttack said:
Too bad CivCity is not available for me. Sounds like a pretty neat game.

I told you we can figure something out. Steam ID?

stuminus3

confused said:
This means you can't possibly own NOLF 1 and 2, which means no matter where you're getting your games from, your collection is not complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom