• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darklord said:
Red Alert 3 sucks, it's expansions suck and C&C4 is an abomination. C&C3 and it's expansion is great fun though. Dunno how the community is now but it was great online.
A lot of people still play online.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Artofwar420 said:
Which one of the Hitman games should I start off with?
2 is good, but the graphics are painfully dated even by my standards and the AI has some annoying issues (they open fire without warning if you're even the slightest suspicious)

I'd recommend starting with Blood Money, which is a great game overall.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
SalsaShark said:
So, any Euro gaffer wants to help me out with the Far Cry bundle (i mean 1+2 wich is about 6 us dollars right?) ? i can paypal on monday since fuckin new years :( lol

$6? It's 10€ for me which is about $13

Damages so far:

Overlord
Overlord: Raising Hell
Overlord II
Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box
Dragon Age Orgins Ultimate Edition
Puzzle Quest
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Prince of Persion: The Forgotten Sands(with free Sands of Time)
Shatter
Command & Conquer 4

Mostly under $5, though. Still 2 days left...

Blizzard

Banned
DMPrince said:
Anyone have a problems with CCC 10.12 and KB where the screen flickers?
I think I had to go all the way back to 10.5 or so to fix that problem. It was really annoying. I don't know if they ever fixed it in the latest drivers. :(

Also I'm crazy. I decided to get Supcom2 and its DLC despite disliking such DLC, instead of the 1C pack. Maybe next year, 1C! Maybe next year.

I see a lot of requests for Guardians of Graxia impressions...I bought it at $5 a day or two ago and have put a few hours into it, so I'll do my best. This is based on the first few campaign missions...I haven't tried skirmish yet. My account shows 30 minutes played but I've been on a train so I have a lot of offline playtime unaccounted for.

The game makes a really bad first impression. I had to turn the detail wayyyyy down on my laptop to get it to run at all, and it's still kinda choppy (think Sims-style choppiness; no matter what you do there will be some choppiness). I expect it to run much better on my PC at home, but I was surprised that an indie title in this genre would have so many issues. There's a lot of unnecessary animation on the field which I'm sure contributes to this. I remember reading in a review somewhere that it looks much better than most $10 games...I disagree with this statement, and I would suggest that its poor optimization sorta makes it a wash anyway. For comparison's sake, this computer can run Starcraft II with low-to-medium settings without dropping frames at all.

To make matters worse, the tutorial doesn't explain nearly enough about the game's many statistics. You will spend your first few games a little frustrated when you make a move that looks like it makes sense only to find that the enemy unit you are attacking has so much defensive support it cannot be harmed. I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it; it sort of reminds me of my experiences with the GalCiv series, in that the information is there, it's just a little hard to put the pieces together and wrap your head around it.

I haven't really figured out how the decks work yet either; it seems like in the campaign you either earn cards or change decks; there are different cards in the second campaign mission but no explanation as to why. I had thought this would be sort of a SRPG with a little M:TG thrown in but this doesn't appear to be the case, unless things change down the road.

Fortunately, the gameplay is actually pretty fun. You move characters around a game board, swapping turns with your opponent; this basic structure should be familiar to strategy game fans. Your opponent's objective is to kill your team's Guardian - the most powerful character in your arsenal, though the power difference between it and regular units isn't so far off as Demigod or anything like that - and each campaign mission will present two available objectives. If you complete either objective, you win, and if you manage both within a certain period of time, you earn a "Guardian" rank for the level. It's fun enough that going a few rounds with some friends whose understanding of the game's mechanics are about as limited as your own would be a lot of fun. Too bad there's no multiplayer, then, right? On the other hand, I've been very impressed with the AI in the campaign; this might be an effect of the AI having a better understanding of the game's rules than me, but from what I've played it does seem to make tactically sound decisions. This is key for a game with no multiplayer, of course, and I'm looking forward to fiddling with it in the skirmish mode. It does seem to turtle a bit too much, and this might be an issue in the skirmish mode. It works for the campaign, though, since you only have a few turns to complete your objective.

When you first start the game, you'll see a tutorial, five campaign missions and four skirmish missions...and there doesn't appear to be much more than that. This is my big issue with the game - there's no random map generator, no custom maps, and no multiplayer. The gameplay is pretty good and the AI is impressive, but with so few maps the game's replay value is inherently limited (though each of the campaign maps has a "normal" objective and a "hard" objective which is genuinely difficult to achieve). The UI appears set up to add additional campaigns and guardian decks, but that's all speculative. I would have been pretty unhappy if I had paid $10, but I'm content at $5. $2.50 is a good enough price for any strategy fan, just be aware that your hours-per-dollar on this one isn't going to come close to many of the other games selling for the same price during the sale.

Best point of comparison for gaffers: Culdcept, though this isn't half as good.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
So, any Euro gaffer wants to help me out with the Far Cry bundle (i mean 1+2 wich is about 6 us dollars right?) ? i can paypal on monday since fuckin new years :( lol

PM me your email address or Steam ID and I'll do it.

Petrie

Banned
Danj said:
Windows 7 control panel does have separate settings for "Default audio device" and "Default communications device". Though obviously the game would have to respect these for it to work. But you can definitely have different audio coming through your headset than through your speakers, provided it's a USB headset and shows up as a separate audio device. If it's just a 3.5mm device you plugged in to the PC's jack sockets then it's not going to happen.

It's plugged into the controller itself, but the PC recognizes it as a usb headset.

~Kinggi~

Banned
derFeef said:
I guess we will get another rehash.
yeah but wouldnt the rehash be on the 2nd of Jan? Sunday.

Also just discovered Dawn of Discovery for steam still has tages, which has install limits.

They removed that from the disc version that i have. Was gonna get the Gold version for Venice but screw that.

Blizzard said:
I think I had to go all the way back to 10.5 or so to fix that problem. It was really annoying. I don't know if they ever fixed it in the latest drivers. :(

Also I'm crazy. I decided to get Supcom2 and its DLC despite disliking such DLC, instead of the 1C pack. Maybe next year, 1C! Maybe next year.
welp. i don't know if i want to go back that far. :lol.

Red Alert 3!! OMG YESSSSSSS!!

YESSSSS!!

FFVIdance.gif

bought with C&C 3, now i got everything i wanted from this sale:D

Sysgen

Blizzard said:
Lol at C&C4 and its persistent internet connection requirement, thank you but no! I've been using a laptop with an intermittent internet connection (can't even use Steam due to the wireless router not letting enough ports to be forwarded or whatever) all week. :p

Star Wars games for $5, I finally give in. Far Cry 2 fine, I'll finally give in...actually getting Far Cry 1 as well for the extra $2.50 considering how well it was apparently received. Apparently Guardians of Graxia is a...card-based game? Unusual. Kirby, maybe you'd like it.

Any opinions on the Theatre of War games? More to the point, AHHH SOMEBODY TALK ME OUT OF BUYING THE COMPLETE 1C PACK EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY OWN THE KING'S BOUNTY GAMES AHHHHH :lol

Put everything in your cart then one by one ask yourself if you really need this now. Just whittled my cart down from 5 to 1 doing this.

Concept17

Someone sell me on Farcry 2. Its tempting atm.

As much as I love CnC...my current addiction to SC2 gives me no desire to pick up any of these games. =\

derFeef

~Kinggi~ said:
yeah but wouldnt the rehash be on the 2nd of Jan? Sunday.

Also just discovered Dawn of Discovery for steam still has tages, which has install limits.

They removed that from the disc version that i have. Was gonna get the Gold version for Venice but screw that.
That´s a good point, I don´t know how they handle it but I hope you are right.
Doh! @ Tages but whatever, I wanted that game in the sale and I got it.

Now give me NBA 2K11, Steam.

Artofwar420 said:
Which one of the Hitman games should I start off with?

Codename 47, Silent Assassin and Blood Money is the chronological order in which the games were released. If you start with Blood Money, you might find it hard to go back to the older games. Silent Assassin is a little less polished than Blood Money, but it's definitely worth playing. Having never tried Codename 47, I can't say one way or the other.

Anyone know why Contracts isn't up on Steam? I've always found its omission puzzling.

Askani

echoshifting said:
I see a lot of requests for Guardians of Graxia impressions...I bought it at $5 a day or two ago and have put a few hours into it, so I'll do my best.

Appreciate the impressions! Thanks.

Lkr

derFeef said:
That´s a good point, I don´t know how they handle it but I hope you are right.
Doh! @ Tages but whatever, I wanted that game in the sale and I got it.

Now give me NBA 2K11, Steam.
someone else looking for 2k11 :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
~Kinggi~ said:
How's the indie game deal Madballs in babo? Lookd like it could be fun.

Weird name.

One or 2 pages back someone recommended it very much.

Concept17 said:
Someone sell me on Farcry 2. Its tempting atm.

I checked out the store page to see if it required a persistent online connection at all times like all of Ubisoft's recently releases, turns out there's a slightly less terrible DRM to deal with, SecuROM and limited activations!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Since Guardians of Graaxia doesn't have multiplayer, can someone recommend me a good PC turn-based multiplayer strategy game,Steam or not? Preferably fantasy or sci-fi themed and with the "chess with special powers on special boards" feel to it or whatever. I really like the idea of a customizable unit deck, but now I'm just rambling.

Toby

Dorrin said:
Okay I'm sold I've been watching this game for a long time and its time to jump on board. Does this mod also change Call of Pripyat or are there additional mods recommended for it?
The Complete for Pripyat is still in development I believe. It has been completed for Clear Sky, but it still isn't quite as good as Chernobyl.

Double D

jaundicejuice said:
Anyone know why Contracts isn't up on Steam? I've always found its omission puzzling.

Evidently there is some legal issue with one of the songs in the game. It's always pissed me off because it seems to me that they could just swap it with something else.

On the subject of Hitman - Anyone know of any mods for any of these games?

Petrie said:
Can someone either recommend ot tell me to stay far away from Guardians of Graxia?

Scroll up.

edit: just saw this quote on Wikipedia regarding Theatre of War:

Even with the latest patch, the game fails to work with many 3D adapters, due to OpenGL issues, throwing runtime error #3(trap) on start-up.[2][3]

Booooo. Too bad, I was gonna buy the first one at the very least.

echoshifting said:
I see a lot of requests for Guardians of Graxia impressions...

The game makes a really bad first impression. I had to turn the detail wayyyyy down on my laptop to get it to run at all, and it's still kinda choppy (think Sims-style choppiness; no matter what you do there will be some choppiness). I expect it to run much better on my PC at home, but I was surprised that an indie title in this genre would have so many issues. There's a lot of unnecessary animation on the field which I'm sure contributes to this. I remember reading in a review somewhere that it looks much better than most $10 games...I disagree with this statement, and I would suggest that its poor optimization sorta makes it a wash anyway. For comparison's sake, this computer can run Starcraft II with low-to-medium settings without dropping frames at all.
Thanks for the impressions only got up to the quoted bit.

Apparently reading on the steam community boards someone had a similar problem. The cause was something like the game is not detecting the video card. Reading the boards I'd sum the game up as sloppy in places (AI turns taking ages being another).

echoshifting said:
Scroll up.

edit: just saw this quote on Wikipedia regarding Theatre of War:

Booooo. Too bad, I was gonna buy the first one at the very least.

Yeah, a bit of reading regarding Theatre of War quickly puts you of it. Doesn't sound like the support for it is very good, and the game is hugely flawed/bugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom