• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysgen

The_Technomancer said:
Since Guardians of Graaxia doesn't have multiplayer, can someone recommend me a good PC turn-based multiplayer strategy game,Steam or not? Preferably fantasy or sci-fi themed and with the "chess with special powers on special boards" feel to it or whatever. I really like the idea of a customizable unit deck, but now I'm just rambling.

Not cards but buy the Elven Legacy Pack. Awesome fantasy chesslike and a ton of content for $7.50

Yeef

Picked up TF2 for two friends; Jedi pack for another friend who's a huge Star Wars fan and Hitman and STALKER for myself (I already had Chernobyl, but for $50 Pripiyat was hard to say no to).

Chriswok said:
Yeah, a bit of reading regarding Theatre of War quickly puts you of it. Doesn't sound like the support for it is very good, and the game is hugely flawed/bugged.

You're not kidding, the more I read the less I want it. Pass.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Evidently there is some legal issue with one of the songs in the game. It's always pissed me off because it seems to me that they could just swap it with something else.

There's licensed music in it? It's been so long since I played the game I can't remember anything other than some of Jesper Kyd's tracks.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Sysgen said:
Not cards but buy the Elven Legacy Pack. Awesome fantasy chesslike and a ton of content for $7.50
this actually looks really interesting. 4 distinct packs for 7.49. Gameplay looks like a grid based total war...

Any further impressions?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Hello my name is brobzoid and I just bought the complete 1C pack and the fright pack (the void) even though I'm on a mac. I can't play any of these games. why did I buy them

teiresias

STALKER for me today, heard good things!! The Jedi Knight looks like a good deal of content for the price, but I'm so tired of the Star Wars universe at this point, and not sure the older ones held up enough for me to be able to stomach them nowadays.

$16.48 left in the wallet!!! Let's see what the last unique day brings . . . COME ON BLOODLINES!!!!!! :lol

I thought I read somewhere the Jedi Knight games are a crapshoot on modern systems because they aren't fixed for compatibility at all, just the games exactly as they were originally released. True?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Brobzoid said:
Hello my name is brobzoid and I just bought the complete 1C pack and the fright pack (the void) even though I'm on a mac. I can't play any of these games. why did I buy them

They were bargains? *shrug*

Can someone help a computer gaming noob and anwser a question. Do games that say they run on windows XP/Vista be run on Windows 7 as well ?

Oreoleo

littleworm said:
Can someone help a computer gaming noob and anwser a question. Do games that say they run on windows XP/Vista be run on Windows 7 as well ?

Yup. If a game runs on Vista it will almost certainly run on 7 as well. I'd be more surprised if it didn't, in fact.

Gully State said:
It shouldn't be...there should be deals on the morning of Jan 2nd..

And, you know, tomorrow too. New deals on Saturday the first, weekly recap on the 2nd, ending on Monday the 3rd at 1pm.

faceless007 said:
I thought I read somewhere the Jedi Knight games are a crapshoot on modern systems because they aren't fixed for compatibility at all, just the games exactly as they were originally released. True?

I just played Dark Forces on a Windows 7 32 bit PC, and it seemed fine.

Orellio said:
Yup. If a game runs on Vista it will almost certainly run on 7 as well. I'd be more surprised if it didn't, in fact.

Correct; you're more likely to run into issues if you have 7 64-bit. Some older games don't support it (though I've always managed to get them to work).

stuminus3

faceless007 said:
Not quite. Dark Forces is packaged with DOSBox. Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith work, but the cutscenes are windowed, they revert back to fullscreen for gameplay. Outcast and Academy work fine, other than you may run into ATi-related OpenGL shennanigans. There's nothing show-stopping.

Gully State said:
It shouldn't be...there should be deals on the morning of Jan 2nd..

But wouldn't they carry over till Monday, making the sale run till the 3rd? I'm pretty sure the recap will be tomorrow, and the sale will end the following day, the 2nd, like it says on the store page. Does anyone remember from last years sale or the summer sale?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Drkirby now owns S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Ownership Check, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat - Discount Check, Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight, Far Cry, Far Cry 2, Far Cry 2: Fortunes Pack, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Star Wars - Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman: Blood Money, Battlestations: Midway, Just Cause, Hitman: Codename 47, Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Tomb Raider: Legend, Project: Snowblind, Rogue Trooper, Infernal, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, Conflict: Denied Ops, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Shellshock 2: Blood Trails, Battlestations: Pacific, Just Cause 2, Yosumin!, The Last Remnant, Gyromancer, FINAL FANTASY XI, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, Kane and Lynch 2: The Doggie Bag DLC, Kane and Lynch 2: Alliance Weapon Pack DLC, Kane and Lynch 2: Multiplayer Masks Pack DLC, Kane and Lynch 2: Radio Tower DLC, Order of War, Order of War - Heavy Bomber squadrons DLC, Order of War - Infantry Mortar Launchers DLC, Order of War - Off-Map Heavy Artillery DLC, Order of War - Survival mission DLC, Mini Ninjas, Flora's Fruit Farm, Just Cause 2: Bull's Eye Rifle DLC, Just Cause 2: Rico's Signature Gun DLC, Just Cause 2: Chevalier Classic DLC, Just Cause 2: Agency Hovercraft DLC, Just Cause 2: Monster Truck DLC, Just Cause 2: Black Market Aerial Pack DLC, Just Cause 2: Black Market Boom Pack DLC, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, LCGOL ChallengePack2, Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition, Season of Mystery : The Cherry Blossom Murders, Supreme Commander 2, Supreme Commander 2 - Infinite War Battle Pack One, Front Mission Evolved, Front Mission Evolved - Map Pack 1, Front Mission Evolved - Last Stand Mode, Front Mission Evolved - Wanzer Pack 2, Front Mission Evolved - Weapon Pack 1, Front Mission Evolved

FAIRWELL MONEYS! SHALL WE MEET AGAIN!

BuddhaRockstar said:
But wouldn't they carry over till Monday, making the sale run till the 3rd? I'm pretty sure the recap will be tomorrow, and the sale will end the following day, the 2nd, like it says on the store page. Does anyone remember from last years sale or the summer sale?

I do remember, and you're wrong. They always end the morning after the announced sale period.

New tomorrow, recap Sunday. Unless they do a recap for this week tomorrow, and a collection of BOTH recaps on Sunday...but I doubt it.

stuminus3

Drkirby said:
FAIRWELL MONEYS! SHALL WE MEET AGAIN!
Look at it this way. You could have bought all that juice. Or you could have gone to the store and bought only 1.5 brand new retail games. That's how I justified buying that pack, anyway. :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
echoshifting said:
I do remember, and you're wrong. They always end the morning after the announced sale period.

New tomorrow, recap Sunday. Unless they do a recap for this week tomorrow, and a collection of BOTH recaps on Sunday...but I doubt it.
oh yay there is hope!

kharma45

tahrikmili said:
Damn.. All I wanted now was Football Manager 2011 but there are so many good deals! C&C and Dawn of Discovery..

Should I, GAF?..

FM is pretty cheap on disc, best to get it that way and just register the serial.

I sure hope that with all of the money that Valve is raking in with these sales, that they're pumping it all into Episode 3.

Of course, not that I actually expect the game to be released in my lifetime, or anything.

Xater

I have a question guys, can something that is not available in my region be gifted to me? Like Football Manager for example?

BuddhaRockstar said:

Summer sale was advertised until the 4th of July and there were daily deals on the 4th.

Im_Special

Holy shit my wallet today : (

Defeninity picking up:
STALKER Complete
FarCry Complete
Supreme Commander 2
Guardians of Graxia

Not sure on:
Empire & Napoleon: Total War: GOTY Edition
Command & Conquer 3 & 4

Anything listed here I shouldn't get? I'd love a reason to not spend so much today. I know nothing about C&C games, and although I've been eyeballing the Total War game for awhile, I'd rather wait for a complete pack that comes with the other Total War games (Rome / Midevil).

~Kinggi~

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
I sure hope that with all of the money that Valve is raking in with these sales, that they're pumping it all into Episode 3.

Of course, not that I actually expect the game to be released in my lifetime, or anything.
I would be interested to see a breakdown of where the money gets split between Valve, publishers, and developers for a sale on steam.

echoshifting said:

Yeah I went back and read the old thread, you're right- I remember there being outrage, and I thought that it was because the sale ended sooner than people expected, but it was actually because it was the first time they did a sale recap day and everyone was pissed because they were expecting new deals.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
teiresias said:
$16.48 left in the wallet!!! Let's see what the last unique day brings . . . COME ON BLOODLINES!!!!!! :lol

$16.49 price confirmed!

YuriLowell said:
Can anyone gift me total war for the lower price? I will paypal you immediately.

Let me know if you still need help with this.

Amneisac

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is one of my most played games of all time, I'm buying the bundle in hopes of rekindling my long, lost love.

Im_Special said:

Defeninity picking up:
STALKER Complete
FarCry Complete
Supreme Commander 2
Guardians of Graxia

Not sure on:
Command & Conquer 3 & 4

Anything listed here I shouldn't get? I'd love a reason to not spend so much today. I know nothing about C&C games, and although I've been eyeballing the Total War game for awhile, I'd rather wait for a complete pack that comes with the other Total War games (Rome / Midevil).
If you're unsure, I'd throw out Total War just because of the price, and C&C4 unless you know you want it. And don't get Uprising.

Im_Special said:

Defeninity picking up:
STALKER Complete
FarCry Complete
Supreme Commander 2
Guardians of Graxia

Not sure on:
Command & Conquer 3 & 4

Play the demo for SupCom 2 first, you might not want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom