• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the highlights again this morning. I can't believe how many Laker fans are in the SA stadium. I swear I can hear the MVP chants more than anything else. Pretty ridiculous.

Ephemeris

bionic77 said:
The whole leadership angle is overblown. While I agree that Wade and LeBron need to step it up, they have to do it on the court. What happens off the court is vastly overrated and is what hacks write about after losses and wins.

Just going by the guys you listed, I mean Kobe will rape his teammates if they don't do their jobs (not the classic definition of leadership) and Duncan is incapable of showing any emotion (just think how crappy that movie would be).

Leadership isn't going to help the Heat make it to the NBA Finals to lose to the Lakers, what Bron and Wade need to do is figure out how to play with each other. Otherwise they are always going to fail in the 4th quarter of close games because right now neither one has any idea what to do without the ball in his hands.

Morale is still a pretty big deal. If your leader(s) appear to not give a fuck, why should you? No heart, no hustle.

bionic77

Ephemeris said:
Morale is still a pretty big deal. If your leader(s) appear to not give a fuck, why should you? No heart, no hustle.
LeBron does seem to get discouraged when things get tough, but that has more to do with him being a Vag then his "leadership" qualities.

K.Jack said:
For them to coexist, LeBron would have to move to the post area. That won't happen.

As long as LeBron demands the ball on at the three line, Wade has no place.
Yeah the problem is that neither one can post up and neither one can shoot a jumper with any consistency. That leaves you with two slashers which is redundant.

Sadly I am pretty sure that Wade will develop a post game before Bron ever does...

KingGondo

Banned
bionic77 said:
The whole leadership angle is overblown. While I agree that Wade and LeBron need to step it up, they have to do it on the court. What happens off the court is vastly overrated and is what hacks write about after losses and wins.
I agree with you insofar as they don't necessarily need to be vocal leaders or "pump the team up" or any of that fake stuff on "Kobe Doin' Work." But I do think it's important for championship teams to have a team culture in which individual players (especially the stars) subvert their egos for the greater good, and the rest of the guys then fall in line. If you lose a game, it's up to the leaders on the team to steady the ship and get them focused on playing hard the next time out.

It may be entirely possible that they Heat simply don't have enough talent around Bron and Wade to win, or that their playing styles don't make sense together (except on the fast break), or whatever--but the fact that dudes were crying after losing a regular season loss shows that there are serious issues with leadership and with the main guys showing how they should handle adversity. And it's even worse if Bron was the one crying.

Jeff-DSA

Elson, Fesenko, Okur, Price: Out
Kirilenko, Millsap: Game time decisions

It could be real ugly tonight. We're ridiculously thin.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
bionic77 said:
Yeah the problem is that neither one can post up and neither one can shoot a jumper with any consistency. That leaves you with two slashers which is redundant.

Sadly I am pretty sure that Wade will develop a post game before Bron ever does...
Bron refuses to post out of pure ego. It's like he believes that it's below him.

He will realize that he should've worked on a post game around the age of 32, when his massive frame has finally worn his legs down, and he can no longer barrel past people.

Will it be too late?

I read a really good article on HoopsHype about the crying thing. The author basically said that people making fun of the Heat for crying are ridiculous. It shows they care, and they're serious about winning. And that teams that are "bad" or have "given up" don't cry. Teams that are close to making it over the top cry.

I still think it is a mistake to write the Heat off for the season. When they are playing the way they should be, it's hard to get by them. By all means, they should have beat the Magic twice more than they did this season. And they should have beat the Bulls twice. I don't think they should be dismissed. They obviously have room for improvement and they need to tighten up on the court and get back to playing "Miami Heat basketball" but it would be a mistake to dismiss them and call it done.

EDIT: Those of you saying Lebron won't post haven't been watching him much this season. He's done more work in the paint this season than any season he was with the Cavs. Is it a major part of his game yet? No and it may never be. But he's developed down low this year for sure.

KingGondo

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
They obviously have room for improvement and they need to tighten up on the court and get back to playing "Miami Heat basketball" but it would be a mistake to dismiss them and call it done.
"Miami Heat basketball" is a mythical concept. It consists of getting out in transition and overwhelming bad/mediocre teams with superior athleticism, and choking away leads against good teams with offensive ineptitude.

And crying after they realize that winning a chip might be a *bit* harder than they had been led to believe.

I think at this point if the Heat do end up winning a championship this year it would be the most ultimate trolling job the NBA has ever seen. I wouldnt put it past Stern to set this whole thing up to become a redemption story of a team ready to fall apart only to pull together to win a championship.

At this point for both Lebron and Wade I feel they are just mentally taxed. I have definitely seen Lebron's fears start to undermine his confidence in himself but for the first time it looks like it is really affecting Wade as well. They both should have made those shots but its almost like they expect the ball isn't going in. Wades comment that "the world is a better place because we all want the Heat to lose" is really telling too. Both him and Lebron are the kind of players that thrive under acceptance and rallying from the public not criticisms. I just hope they can use the criticism to fire themselves up.

CherryWoodFuton said:
I think at this point if the Heat do end up winning a championship this year it would be the most ultimate trolling job the NBA has ever seen. I wouldnt put it past Stern to set this whole thing up to become a redemption story of a team ready to fall apart only to pull together to win a championship.
Honestly, I'd rather have them go through all this adversity now as opposed to the playoffs. Maybe now they'll stop playing iso ball so damn much and start running some actual plays. A man can dream, no?

Gigglepoo

First of all, do you think you'd still be praising Wade if you only watched him the last five seasons? Or is it your memory of when he was younger that's tainting your view? He used to be incredible. He almost single-handedly beat the Pacers in his second season and was great in their title run. But he's not the same player now, and hasn't been for years.

giri said:
He contributes more, and he's had as many games of "complete lock down defense" as just about any other primary scorer has had for their teams.

I strongly disagree. Great players switch to the other team's superstar all the time and have success. Situations like Melo vs. LeBron and Kobe vs. Westbrook happen all the time. Sure, it pisses me off when Melo chooses to play defense, since that means he's choosing not to most of the time, but he is a great defender when he cares. Wade doesn't rise to those levels.

Plus, Wade isn't their primary scorer. It's his choice, so he should find other ways to contribute since he isn't controlling the ball anymore.

giri said:
He disappears on THIS miami team when he's not scoring, because that usually means LBJ has kept the ball and is trying too himself, which could be remedied if Wade had a better jump shot. But he doesn't.

That's a reason for why he disappears, but it's not a good excuse. A superstar should never disappear, and he's willingly fading into the background while they lose game after game. It's his choice, and he's a lesser player for it.

giri said:
But that list could be said about a lot of players that aren't feeling it on Offense. A HELL of a lot of players. Amare, Bosh, LBJ, nene, Melo, Grainger, Durant, Dumbrook, Boozer, .... the list goes on.

It's different with Wade. When his shot isn't falling, he disappears. He stops attacking on offense. He stops rebounding. He stops getting assists. And his defense remains suspect. He doesn't contribute in any way; he disappears. You never forget that guys like Durant, Kobe, and LeBron are on the court, even when they're playing poorly. Wade? Just about every game he goes into these funks.

giri said:
If you think the talent level when you compare last years miami roster (out side of wade) is close to that of the cavs (outside of LBJ) you're just making up by-lines like ESPN.

Don't forget, the defending champion Heat were swept in the first round by the Bulls. That's pathetic.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Honestly, I'd rather have them go through all this adversity now as opposed to the playoffs. Maybe now they'll stop playing iso ball so damn much and start running some actual plays. A man can dream, no?
The thing is Lebron and Wade are so used to being "alpha" dogs that they probably honestly don't know how to run a play that doesn't directly involve them.

Owzers

CherryWoodFuton said:
The thing is Lebron and Wade are so used to being "alpha" dogs that they probably honestly don't know how to run a play that doesn't directly involve them.

I thought they would have worked on that immediately, with Wade being the dominant leader and Lebron shifting into a pick and roll/cut to the basket force that so many teams wish they had. Instead Lebron and Wade just took turns in iso while Bosh takes 20 foot jumpers. You can't do a pick and roll when you always have the ball and what angers me is that the Heat just don't get it. They care enough to cry and Wade says people are getting what they want, but what they actually want is for the Heat to play well. I'd love to see the Heat on top, but not from keeping a play style that is tailored to beat the worst teams in the NBA and HOPING it also works to beat the best teams then CRYING when it doesn't.

sillymonkey321 said:
I thought they would have worked on that immediately, with Wade being the dominant leader and Lebron shifting into a pick and roll/cut to the basket force that so many teams wish they had. Instead Lebron and Wade just took turns in iso while Bosh takes 20 foot jumpers. You can't do a pick and roll when you always have the ball and what angers me is that the Heat just don't get it. They care enough to cry and Wade says people are getting what they want, but what they actually want is for the Heat to play well. I'd love to see the Heat on top, but not from keeping a play style that is tailored to beat the worst teams in the NBA and HOPING it also works to beat the best teams then CRYING when it doesn't.
Playing as the Heat in NBA2k11 makes me so sad that in real life Lebron Wade and Bosh don't play like I want them to

Skip getting animated talking about LeClown's last shot(which didn't even hit the rim---I thought it did at first though it was way off).

Skip said LeBron shyed away from contact because the last thing he wanted to do is go to the foul line.

He said he should have went up strong for a dunk and that at Miami would have gotten the foul call for sure.

Interesting take on it all and I don't know but no way LeBron makes both of those freethrows in a situation like that, maybe one.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LeBron has been running the ISO his entire life; it's all he knows and all he's comfortable with playing. I fully believe, that the Heat's chances for success are completely dependent on whether he can break himself out of this modus operandi.

SUPREME1

Banned
ph33nix said:
Damage control already

It's ok

At least we won't lose to the Cavs this season

Clutch Beach:

Wade 0-5
LeBrazzle 1-7

I'll take that single loss to the mighty Cavs over those stats. I'm sure you would too.

KingGondo

Banned
K.Jack said:
LeBron has been running the ISO his entire life; it's all he knows and all he's comfortable with playing. I fully believe, that the Heat's chances for success are completely dependent on whether he can break himself out of this modus operandi.
But that would require him to admit to himself that he's been wrong for all these years, or for his hangers-on to allow him to admit that to himself.

K.Jack said:

This is like saying that team X's title hopes are dependent on either Ray Allen or Kyle Korver creating offense off of the dribble since they both can't run off of screens. Or that a team with Malone and Shaq on it would need Malone to become a PG. It's silly, it's never going to happen, and yes, the lack of it happening will cause them to lose.

Skip Bayless, I was starting to kind of think you were interesting and now you have to use selective memory in discussing the MVP of the league.

Basically, Skip said it is Kobe and used what he did to San Antonio as a main part of his basis and says he hasn't seen that from Rose.

He must have have missed the game before the All Star break between the Bulls and Spurs.

Not that I care though, I think Rose deserves the award but a playoff run is the only thing I give a shit about really.

Rodeo Clown said:
Did you ever see Ray Allen play for the Bucks or Sonics?

Maybe not a great example to use, but Ray still was better off of screens, and wasn't a terrific creator of offense. Misusing players' strengths and weaknesses to fill holes in your roster is not how you win championships.

SUPREME1

Banned
I think I had my first genuine schadenfreude experience this morning when they showed the herpes chipmunk during the postgame conference.

I giggled like a little girl and just really enjoyed it way too much for it to have been a good thing for my soul.

:lol

ToyMachine228 said:
I read a really good article on HoopsHype about the crying thing. The author basically said that people making fun of the Heat for crying are ridiculous. It shows they care, and they're serious about winning. And that teams that are "bad" or have "given up" don't cry. Teams that are close to making it over the top cry.

I still think it is a mistake to write the Heat off for the season. When they are playing the way they should be, it's hard to get by them. By all means, they should have beat the Magic twice more than they did this season. And they should have beat the Bulls twice. I don't think they should be dismissed. They obviously have room for improvement and they need to tighten up on the court and get back to playing "Miami Heat basketball" but it would be a mistake to dismiss them and call it done.

EDIT: Those of you saying Lebron won't post haven't been watching him much this season. He's done more work in the paint this season than any season he was with the Cavs. Is it a major part of his game yet? No and it may never be. But he's developed down low this year for sure.

I'd say that they were crying because it was supposed to be easy. All they wanted to do is chill, and win 60+ games. They've already won, no need to play no more games. There no reason for to be crying on March 6th, 2011. They didn't get embarrassed in the playoffs yet.

Spoelestra kinda fumbled when he exposed the players were crying. You can see the wheels churning in his head before the sentence came out and then he must have thought screw it, and revealed it.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Skip Bayless, I was starting to kind of think you were interesting and now you have to use selective memory in discussing the MVP of the league.

Basically, Skip said it is Kobe and used what he did to San Antonio as a main part of his basis and says he hasn't seen that from Rose.

He must have have missed the game before the All Star break between the Bulls and Spurs.

Not that I care though, I think Rose deserves the award but a playoff run is the only thing I give a shit about really.

If the Bulls can stay above the Heat, maybe even challenge the Celtics for 1st, then Rose is automatic MVP. Kobe isn't going to be in the running, though he should get more votes than Durant.

Maybe just maybe Spo was trying to light a fire in their ass by airing out locker room laundry but all it's gonna do now is make other teams think this team is mentally weak and probably have the players turn on him if they haven't already.

Jeff-DSA

CherryWoodFuton said:
Maybe just maybe Spo was trying to light a fire in their ass by airing out locker room laundry but all it's gonna do now is make other teams think this team is mentally weak and probably have the players turn on him if they haven't already.

Maybe they'll just cry more about being exposed as crybabies.

CherryWoodFuton said:

Interesting how many say the coach insulted the team by mentioning them crying, I really didn't think the team would be insulted by that, I didn't even laugh at the Heat players crying.

A Miami Heat blogger or whatever said the coach will apologize soon about it.

Them crying is more of a sign of complete and utter frustration moreso than them being wimps to me.

I don't know...

nba1e3clg1-gry-nvy.jpg

It begins.

Hopefully not the official logo (it's god awful) but confirms the upcoming color swap.

numble

Yay, another Woj hit piece:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlE12lQ1QDU_QHr.Xnzo_bW8vLYF?slug=aw-heatissues030611

“I’m used to coming down in the fourth, having the ball, making mistakes, getting a chance to make up for them, etc., “ Wade told reporters Sunday. “You try to do your best. That’s all you can do. That was one of the things we got to understand when we all decided to come together. That there were going to be sacrifices that have to be made. And you live with the consequences.”

Yes, you live with the consequences. Wade has started to say publicly what he’s been saying privately for a long time: Why don’t I get the ball when it matters? Miami’s no longer his town, and the Heat no longer his team. Didn’t you hear James? It isn’t our team. It isn’t D-Wade’s team.

My team.

When people warned Wade about letting LeBron into his life, they wanted him to think about how he’d handle James making all the big shots, becoming the biggest star on South Beach. They never considered the possibility of what it would feel like for Wade to watch James fail over and over.

So, Wade played the victim act and reminded everyone that he never, ever wanted to join James on his Hate Me Across America Tour. “The Miami Heat are exactly what everyone wanted, losing games,” Wade said. “The world is better now because the Heat is losing.”

xnipx

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I believe all of that but construing LeBron using the term "my" to mean he's the leader of the team is a bit of a reach(even though I think he's taken over it).

I just don't buy that it necessarily means what it seems.
You don't think the Heat are lebrons team??

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Interesting how many say the coach insulted the team by mentioning them crying, I really didn't think the team would be insulted by that, I didn't even laugh at the Heat players crying.

A Miami Heat blogger or whatever said the coach will apologize soon about it.

Them crying is more of a sign of complete and utter frustration moreso than them being wimps to me.

I don't know...
I'm pretty sure that going by what NBA players think, they wouldn't want to be seen crying in front of other men because of their macho "men dont cry" mentality

xnipx said:
You don't think the Heat are lebrons team??

No, I said in my post that I think he's taken over the team but I think people are grasping for straws when they say his word usage of "my" means that.

I mean, he is kind of dumb but I doubt he'd blatantly say that even if he believed it because it'd show up Wade.

Not to change subjects but I haven't seen NBA-age do pick-ems yet. Forgive me if I don't know because well....you know......junior member, but do you guys do that everyday or is there a designated day where theres a lot of games????

CherryWoodFuton said:
Not to change subjects but I haven't seen NBA-age do pick-ems yet. Forgive me if I don't know because well....you know......junior member, but do you guys do that everyday or is there a designated day where theres a lot of games????

Wednesdays.

masud said:
He didn't attack the wrong guy though. He just yoked him up. Looks like he was asking who did it actually. Then Jax came through with the falcon punch...
Yes he did. Lawsuits filed in court proved that the guy he hit didn't throw that bottle.

Gigglepoo, just so we're clear, you are aware that Wade averages 1ppg less than Lebron on nearly identical shooting and FT% right? As in, this year, right now?

They are have virtually the same contribution offensively, or at least they have this year. However, both guys assist numbers are down this year compared to last, despite playing with more proficient teammates. They are both dominant offensive players and putting them together (with Bosh) has not resulted in a dominant offensive team. It's obvious that the Heat's offensive struggles come from their play styles clashing.

It's like Jim Jackson and Jamal Mashburn all over again. It's ridiculous to throw Wade under the bus when a) he's having the best rebounding year of his career, and is currently one of the best rebounding 2-guards in the league, and b) as mentioned by others, no superstar gets out of the first round without having a good team. A great player can only drag a poor team to mediocrity, not to greatness. Wade getting 45 wins in the East with Beasley as his #2 is nearly equivalent to Kobe getting 45 wins in the West with Odom as his #2. Bottom line, neither team had a shot of winning a ring.

giga

When the locker room first opened to reporters after the game, Stoudemire and Anthony were bantering and laughing about players on the Miami Heat crying after their loss earlier Sunday to the Chicago Bulls, with Stoudemire fingering Chris Bosh as the watery-eyed one (although Bosh, when asked by reporters in Miami whether he had cried, said he almost had but did not).

"I heard Chris Bosh was crying tears," Stoudemire said.

"Tears?" Anthony asked.

"Yeah, tears," Stoudemire replied.

"Wait 'til I call him, man," Anthony said. "I'll be like: 'What are you doing?'"

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=6188520

God damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom