• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Black Mamba said:
Nash lost to Dallas too. Nash continually loses because of his defense.

Iverson made out it out of one of the weakest conferences we've ever seen. Same reason many discount Lebron's finals/

Again, agree on the top 10 being wrong. he's somewhere in the 16-24 range, depending on who you ask IMO.

But some people were saying it's questionable that he's top 50. That's just crazy talk.

edit: FTR, KG didn't take that many more jump shots than Timmy during their prime years. More, yes, but not an excessive amount more (check the $tats). And I too take Duncan over KG. Duncan's passing is underrated, fwiw.

Whoaaaa, we did NOT lose because of Nash's defense. We lost for many reasons, but it wasn't his defense. Our entire team was pretty shitty on the defensive end of the floor, and we've always had a coach who didn't give two shits about D.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
commish said:
FWIW, I think GP is a great player and is severely underrated for his career.
Payton's best skill was his amazing defense and few appreciate that. Came as close as you can to shutting down Jordan in the last few games of the 96 Finals.

Gigglepoo

etiolate said:
uh Duncan's D >>> KG's defense

Some of Garnett's TWolves teams got lit up hard.

KG was a better defender, but my statement is still true.

I'm really confused by this. If KG was a better defender, how is Duncan's defense better?

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I like Duncan, but that is really a stretch saying his is a damn good passer.

I would take prime Duncan though, agreed.
Well, Duncan isn't an otherworldly passer at his position like KG is. There are only a handful of guys in league history who've racked up assist totals like KG at his position. I just took umbrage to the notion that Duncan didn't evolve his game to include passing when I think it's fairly clear that he is a very good passer at his position, sort of like how Shaq was a good passer in his prime.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I'll get back on topic! Wilt > Hakeem > Duncan > Karl Malone > Bill Russell > Michael Jordan >>>>>>>>>>>>>> KG
Quit shitting up the thread, dammit!

Branduil

KG could never be the lone superstar leading a team to a title. Dirk would have done that if not for the most crookedly reffed series of all time.

Branduil said:
KG could never be the lone superstar leading a team to a title. Dirk would have done that if not for the most crookedly reffed series of all time.

KG wouldn't have lost to the Warriors on that Mavs squad.

REAL TALK.

commish said:
Whoaaaa, we did NOT lose because of Nash's defense. We lost for many reasons, but it wasn't his defense. Our entire team was pretty shitty on the defensive end of the floor, and we've always had a coach who didn't give two shits about D.

Well, let's leave my opinion of Nash for another time, shall we? more than willing for this one, but not right now.

Gigglepoo said:
Didn't the Timberwolves miss the playoffs that year?

Notice how i said on THAT team. Kg's team was ass that season.

Trenton hasell
Jaric
Wally
Ricky Davis
McCants
Griffin
Banks
Blount

Those are the top 8 min after KG. What is Dirk going to do with that pile of dung?

Tom Penny

Branduil said:

C'mon. Dirk is like Bosh version 1.25

Tom Penny

reilo said:
Eh? Bosh's game resembles more KG than anything.

Some consider defense a part of basketball. He's still a beast on D after all these years. Soft as Charmin on offense. No doubt about it. Pisses me the fuck off.

SUPREME1

Banned
Duncan was the only big other than Shaq who could, over a playoff series, put up the kind of monster numbers that leave you in complete awe.

[talking about bigs who played during KG/Duncan era NBA]

Duncan > KG

Branduil

Does anybody think the Heat wouldn't be a million times better with Dirk replacing Bosh?

The only problem would be Dirk not getting enough touches.

benita

Banned
thekad said:
In top 10 =/= near top 10.

You can't read or what?

I didn't say you said IN the top 10. I said your "top 10 claim". Your reading comprehension is terrible.

Stop bullshitting around with semantics. You claim he's "near" top 10 so give me 15 players in that list he's better than.

reilo said:
Eh? Bosh's game resembles more KG than anything.

2009+NBA+All+Star+Game+cZ-kVTtiIe4l.jpg

reilo

Stylistically the way they play and how they get their points, KG and Bosh are much closer than Bosh and Dirk.

Not to mention that Dirk is ten-fold smarter offensively and pretty damn clutch to boot. Dirk is also ten-fold the better ball-handler.

Defensively, well, that's a different argument all together.

Branduil said:
Does anybody think the Heat wouldn't be a million times better with Dirk replacing Bosh?

Dirk could draw out the defense better than Bosh because of his range. A pick and pop between Lebron and Dirk would be deadly. Bosh is so bad right now, they're not even running a pick and pop with him at the end of the game.

SUPREME1

Banned
Branduil said:

> 1-18 in clutch situations, that's for sure.

Don't know if they'd be that much better overall as a team though. LeBron and Wade on the same team is a fundamental problem which would be a problem for almost any player.

thekad

Banned
benita said:
I didn't say you said IN the top 10. I said your "top 10 claim". Your reading comprehension is terrible.

Stop bullshitting around with semantics. You claim he's "near" top 10 so give me 15 players in that list he's better than.

I said he's 15-20 (ie, near top 10). Read better.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
marathonfool said:
Dirk could draw out the defense better than Bosh because of his range. A pick and pop between Lebron and Dirk would be deadly. Bosh is so bad right now, they're not even running a pick and pop with him at the end of the game.

Right now? Bosh has been overrated since forever. That's why I said they'd be better off with Amare. I think I read somewhere that LBJ wanted Amare, but it was Wade who wanted Bosh.

reilo

thekad said:
I said he's 15-20 (ie, near top 10). Read better.
I'd say "near top 10" is 10-15. You would have been better served saying Top 20 (hence, 15-20), but then again, you wouldn't be you.

ImperialConquest said:
> 1-18 in clutch situations, that's for sure.

Don't know if they'd be that much better overall as a team though. LeBron and Wade on the same team is a fundamental problem which would be a problem for almost any player.

What's funny is that the 1 in that 1 for 18 was the game against Memphis were Gay came back and hit a jumper to win it, so the Heat didn't even win that game.

dIEHARD said:
him and Jameer are the next generation of Turkish League point guards.

Fixed.

reilo said:
Stylistically the way they play and how they get their points, KG and Bosh are much closer than Bosh and Dirk.

Not to mention that Dirk is ten-fold smarter offensively and pretty damn clutch to boot. Dirk is also ten-fold the better ball-handler.

KG in his prime was one hell of a distributor.

Bosh, even before this season. Um, no.

none of the 3 are really that alike. Dirk liked to attack from the mid post near the FT line a lot more and Bosh from the lower wing/bloc area, 14 feet out or so.

All 3 can handle the rock, but have a different approach. And KG has always had a turn around fade which I don't recall Bosh using. Dirk uses a step back fade.

thekad

Banned
benita said:
Thanks for clarifying. Not only are you horrible at expressing your opinion, but your opinion is still wrong.

It's not my fault you can't read and think Ray Allen is better than KG all-time.

Gigglepoo said:
There might be 15 players from before you were born who were better than KG.

An argument could be made for around that many: Wilt, Baylor, Barry, Russell, Kareem just off the top of my head.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Black Mamba said:
KG > Malone.

I hate Karl Malone as a person, even more than I hate KG for being a douche... but Malone was a better PF all-around.. KG is a better defender.. but Malone was better at just about everything else..

reilo said:

I think pre-balls LMA is the best comparison to KG. Of course, KG is 10x the passer and a better jump shooter. A lot of scores from alley-oops, put backs, jump shots, and transition.

jjasper

Ninja Scooter said:
What's funny is that the 1 in that 1 for 18 was the game against Memphis were Gay came back and hit a jumper to win it, so the Heat didn't even win that game.

Wait that is the 1 that they count? LOL Can that even be considered clutch I am pretty sure it was Conley just losing the ball for a fastbreak uncontested layup.

Lkr

it's weird. i feel bad for Dwight Howard. I really think the NBA needs to reassess its technical foul suspension rule, especially when it is a guy that hasn't done anything bad. If he had thrown a punch or something, I could understand a suspension. Some BS techs because he was a bit upset because he's being hacked on? No big deal imo. I feel bad for my sister too, because she went to the game tonight and there is no Dwight :lol

reilo

Blackace said:
I hate Karl Malone as a person, even more than I hate KG for being a douche... but Malone was a better PF all-around.. KG is a better defender.. but Malone was better at just about everything else..
Karl could take over a game offensively whereas I don't recall many instances where KG could or did.

Karl Malone had 435 games with 30pts+. KG has a grand total of 87 in comparison.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Black Mamba said:
No. Just fucking no. I didn't bold Malone, even though KG > Malone, but at leas it could be argued. The guys in bold are most certainly NOT as good as KG.

Walton is tough. He's certainly had a worse career, but you could argue he peak as better. If we count consistency as important, then KG > him too.

whoa whoa.. Ewing was not better than KG? Fucking hell.. not talking about Seattle Ewing.. Talking about 86 fresh out of G'Town Ewing.. you my friend just got a ticket on the short bus

GP was also better than KG, and Kemp was as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom