• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
benita said:
Duncan
Malone
McHale
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
Russell
Cousy
Kobe
Jordan
Lebron
Hakeem
Stockton
Iverson
Isiah
Nash
Pippen
Kareem
Walton
Dirk
Worthy
West
Oscar
Moses
Allen
Erving
Havlicek
Ewing
Barkley

As a Suns fan, I am honored that you would pick Nash.

Sanjuro

benita said:
Duncan
Malone
McHale
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
Russell
Cousy
Kobe
Jordan
Lebron
Hakeem
Stockton
Iverson
Isiah
Nash
Pippen
Kareem
Walton
Dirk
Worthy
West
Oscar
Moses
Allen
Erving
Havlicek
Ewing
Barkley
59HT5.gif

reilo said:
And yet many players that can be legitimately called top-ten managed to drag their sorry-ass team out of the first round.

You set the parameters, don't go back-pedaling now.

whoa whoa, I never argued top 10. I said easily top 30 and an argument COULD BE MADE for top 20. I never argued top 10.

But in fairness to KG, he never had a 2nd player as good as LBJ or Kobe had in their struggle years. I'll take Odom (and Phil J) or Mo and Varajeo over Wally and Flip.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Black Mamba said:
dude. come on with this all-star argument. Wally was the only all-star he played with until Cassell, and that wally pick was curious at best.

googs only played with KG his first 2 1/2 years in the league. By '99 he was in Phx.

Billups was nowhere near what he became in Minnesota. Didn't even play 30mpg.
In other words, they're only all-stars if you say so? Get the fuck out.
Black Mamba said:
whoa whoa, I never argued top 10. I said easily top 30 and an argument COULD BE MADE for top 20. I never argued top 10.

But in fairness to KG, he never had a 2nd player as good as LBJ or Kobe had in their struggle years. I'll take Odom (and Phil J) or Mo and Varajeo over Wally and Flip.
Then why are you arguing with me? I only said he wasn't a Top 10 player.

benita said:
Duncan
Malone
McHale
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
Russell
Cousy
Kobe
Jordan
Lebron
Hakeem
Stockton
Iverson
Isiah
Nash
Pippen
Kareem
Walton
Dirk
Worthy
West
Oscar
Moses
Allen
Erving
Havlicek
Ewing
Barkley

No. Just fucking no. I didn't bold Malone, even though KG > Malone, but at leas it could be argued. The guys in bold are most certainly NOT as good as KG.

Walton is tough. He's certainly had a worse career, but you could argue he peak as better. If we count consistency as important, then KG > him too.

commish

Black Mamba said:
No. Just fucking no. I didn't bold Malone, even though KG > Malone, but at leas it could be argued. The guys in bold are most certainly NOT as good as KG.

Walton is tough. He's certainly had a worse career, but you could argue he peak as better. If we count consistency as important, then KG > him too.

I actually agree that KG is better than those bolded names. Walton is god, so please don't go there.

marathonfool said:
It's like saying David Robinson is close to Hakeem. Thank goodness we had that one playoff series to put it to bed.
More like "thank god we have a 30 second clip on youtube" to put it to bed. If people watched that series, rather than based their opinions off a 240p youtube clip showing Hakeem at his best, they would've seen that Robinson, while outclassed, did not play poorly. Now, Ewing and Hakeem? You can watch all the youtube clips you want or you can watch the games themselves. It doesn't matter what you do because you will arrive at the same conclusion: Ewing totally choked. He was abysmal. Ewing is not close to Hakeem. Robinson is.

benita

Banned
Black Mamba said:

Allen and Worthy were the 2 I vacillated over but everyone else on that list > KG.

Fuck it, let's say that KG isn't even top 28. He certainly doesn't even SNIFF top 10.

dIEHARD said:
How can Dirk > KG not even be an argument?
Black Mamba is getting away with saying KG > Malone repeatedly. All kinds of dumb stuff in this thread. For the record, I'd take Dirk > KG as well.
OpinionatedCyborg said:
More like "thank god we have a 30 second clip on youtube" to put it to bed. If people watched that series, rather than based their opinions off a 240p youtube clip showing Hakeem at his best, they would've seen that Robinson, while outclassed, did not play poorly. Now, Ewing and Hakeem? You can watch all the youtube clips you want or you can watch the games themselves. It doesn't matter what you do because you will arrive at the same conclusion: Ewing totally choked. He was abysmal. Ewing is not close to Hakeem. Robinson is.
It makes you look like a fool to assume things. I watched the entire series between the Spurs and Rockets. Hakeem not only made Robinson look silly, but he was the entire Rockets offense. The talk of the NBA was how Hakeem demonstrated his vastly superior game and his impact on the team.

reilo said:
In other words, they're only all-stars if you say so? Get the fuck out.

So Jamal Magloire should be looked at as an all-star?

Then why are you arguing with me? I only said he wasn't a Top 10 player.

I only responded to argue against your all-star claims, not everything.

KG was not playing with all-star Billups and he was just in the league when Gugliotta was an all-star and kG wasn't an alpha yet. To use those dudes as examples is disingenuous.

commish

reilo said:
Dirk is so bad defensively.

Pretty much. It's hard for me to swallow that Dirk is better than KG. Dirk may be better on the offensive end (maybe... KG was a fantastic passer and better inside), but KG is leagues, LEAGUES, better on the defensive end of the court.

Leagues.

SUPREME1

Banned
benita said:
Duncan
Malone
McHale
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
Russell
Cousy
Kobe
Jordan
Lebron
Hakeem
Stockton
Iverson
Isiah
Nash
Pippen
Kareem
Walton
Dirk
Worthy
West
Oscar
Moses
Allen
Erving
Havlicek
Ewing
Barkley

Soild list, but there are two or three guys on there that you could swap out for KG and the list would be just as solid (namely Dirk, Nash and Iverson).

I mean, at what point does being an excellent overall player like KG, become more impressive than being amazing at a certain few things, or vice versa...?

Example:

Dirk's pure shooting
Nash's combination of assists and ability to score
Iverson's potent scoring

vs

KG's overall game

What is more impressive? Why? I'd personally have them listed on similar levels as far as player standings go, but they're so different.

This is why you can never have a concrete list.

Edit: Didn't realize 'Allen' meant Ray Allen. No, I wouldn't put him in the top 30.

Sanjuro

commish said:
Pretty much. It's hard for me to swallow that Dirk is better than KG. Dirk may be better on the offensive end (maybe... KG was a fantastic passer and better inside), but KG is leagues, LEAGUES, better on the defensive end of the court.

Leagues.
KG is still a good passer. That is his primary quality when you compare him to Duncan. Duncan just never bothered to evolve his game in that category.

benita said:
Allen and Worthy were the 2 I vacillated over but everyone else on that list > KG.

Fuck it, let's say that KG isn't even top 28. He certainly doesn't even SNIFF top 10.

I agree he's not top 10 or close to it (he's around 20 probably).

But how is Iverson or Nash better than KG? the fuck is this.

Nash has never played a lick of defense in his life or even made an NBA Finals despite playing with stacked teams.

commish

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
KG is still a good passer. That is his primary quality when you compare him to Duncan. Duncan just never bothered to evolve his game in that category.

I actually went back and changed "is" to "was", since I figured we were discussing the players at the peak of their careers. You're right - he is a great passer (even if he gets less opportunities nowadays). Of course, the best big man passer is CWebb. Don't deny it.

benita said:
Duncan
Malone
McHale
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
Russell
Cousy
Kobe
Jordan
Lebron
Hakeem
Stockton
Iverson
Isiah
Nash
Pippen
Kareem
Walton
Dirk
Worthy
West
Oscar
Moses
Allen
Erving
Havlicek
Ewing
Barkley
No to bold. And a few others (like Barkely) are debatable. Barkely was by far a better offensive player, but he did not have the defensive impact KG does. Prime KG could defend every position, and he is still a very mobile big defender. Kobe's debatable. Stockton as well. KG is probably top 15 - 20 for me. I'll go check my list. I keep it in my wallet along with my list of physical features an ideal woman should have (gotta check it while on dates).

reilo

commish said:

Leagues.
At the same time, I think of Magic (would anyone call him a good defender?), but nobody rational would say that Peyton was better than Magic based on defense, right? So I can see both arguments being made, but I wouldn't ultimately agree with it. I think each player vs player comparison needs to be isolated.

Sanjuro

reilo said:
At the same time, I think of Magic (would anyone call him a good defender?), but nobody rational would say that Peyton was better than Magic based on defense, right? So I can see both arguments being made, but I wouldn't ultimately agree with it. I think each player vs player comparison needs to be isolated.
Bird > Magic.

JsLEn.gif

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I dunno, Duncan is a damn good passer.

I prefer Duncan's offensive game as well, but that's largely because I don't like seeing big men take a lot of jumpshots. KG really should use his length and what's left of his athleticism in the post. Granted, KG has one of the best mid- to long-range jumpers in the game for anyone...

I think I take prime Duncan over prime KG. I like Duncan's offense more and he plays a more traditional role on defense. That said, KG is an insanely good defender and an amazing player...

Srsly

Banned
benita said:
Duncan
Malone
McHale
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Jordan
Wilt
Russell
Cousy
Kobe
Lebron
Hakeem
Kareem
Dirk
West
Oscar
Moses
Havlicek

I removed the jokes from your list. The bolded selections had carrers about equal to KG. Only a handful of players have had obviously better careers than KG.

benita

Banned
Black Mamba said:
I agree he's not top 10 or close to it (he's around 20 probably).

But how is Iverson or Nash better than KG? the fuck is this.

Nash has never played a lick of defense in his life or even made an NBA Finals despite playing with stacked teams.

Dude you can't use "didn't make the finals" as a slight against Nash and completely ignore Iverson in the same sentence.

Sure Nash played on great teams but they coincided with phenomenal runs from the Spurs and Lakers.

Whatever, we can go round and round about whether KG is top 24, 25, 26 or whatever and it would be a decent debate.

But thekad's top 10 claim? Pure bullshit.

Darkman M

OpinionatedCyborg said:
No to bold. And a few others (like Barkely) are debatable. Barkely was by far a better offensive player, but he did not have the defensive impact KG does. Prime KG could defend every position, and he is still a very mobile big defender. Kobe's debatable. Stockton as well. KG is probably top 15 - 20 for me. I'll go check my list. I keep it in my wallet along with my list of physical features an ideal woman should have (gotta check it while on dates).

Debatable as in what?

SUPREME1

Banned
reilo said:

Pretty much.

Sanjuro

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I dunno, Duncan is a damn good passer.

I prefer Duncan's offensive game as well, but that's largely because I don't like seeing big men take a lot of jumpshots. KG really should use his length and what's left of his athleticism in the post. Granted, KG has one of the best mid- to long-range jumpers in the game for anyone...

I think I take prime Duncan over prime KG. I like Duncan's offense more and he plays a more traditional role on defense. That said, KG is an insanely good defender and an amazing player...
I like Duncan, but that is really a stretch saying his is a damn good passer.

I would take prime Duncan though, agreed.

I think some people have short memories here. Y'all forgot how INSANELY GOOD KG was in his prime.

He averaged like 22-13-6-1.5-1.5 during his prime with less than 3 TOs while shooting 50% FG and 80% FT.

Top that off with all-NBA quality defense every season and legitimately so. He was the toughest player in the NBA to defend (besides Shaq) because he was so skilled from the high post to mid post to win to low bloc.

And he never actually had a competent team around him except for '04.

reilo

Let's also not overlook Duncan's defense here. If you needed a big man to anchor your defense, you could either say Duncan or KG and you'd be correct any which way you slice it.
Black Mamba said:
I think some people have short memories here. Y'all forgot how INSANELY GOOD KG was in his prime.

He averaged like 22-13-6-1.5-1.5 during his prime with less than 3 TOs while shooting 50% FG and 80% FT.

Top that off with all-NBA quality defense every season and legitimately so. He was the toughest player in the NBA to defend (besides Shaq) because he was so skilled from the high post to mid post to win to low bloc.

And he never actually had a competent team around him except for '04.
And still not as good as Duncan's prime. Sorry.

etiolate

Banned
I'll repeat: Before the trade to the Celts, KG was thought of as being on the same level as CWebb. Duncan, Webber and Garnett were some great battles. Would you put pre-injury Webber in the top 20? Probably not.

benita

Banned
Srsly said:
I removed the jokes from your list. The bolded selections had carrers about equal to KG. Only a handful of players have had obviously better careers than KG.

Kobe, Magic and Bird had careers equal to KG?

Get the fuck out.

Edit: Ok you fixed your bolding but Kobe and Shaq?

:heatbench :heatbench

Gigglepoo

reilo said:
Let's also not overlook Duncan's defense here. If you needed a big man to anchor your defense, you could either say Duncan or KG and you'd be correct any which way you slice it.

You'd be more correct if you picked KG.

etiolate said:
I'll repeat: Before the trade to the Celts, KG was thought of as being on the same level as CWebb.

That's not true at all. KG might be the starting PF on an all defensive team.

What are the odds that Corbin puts Millsap (Who is hampered by knee injuries and can't move that well and has been a bad defender even without injuries) on Amar'e tonight instead of Favors/Evans? Because I think it's like 60-75% and it will make my head explode. I think Al, Favors, Hayward, and Harris should have great games, think the team will pull out the win. Late game offense needs to be more varied and less predictable though. Al post-up is a good play, but it shouldn't be the only play of the last ten possessions of the game...

commish

reilo said:

Magic wasn't Nash on defense (and wasn't Pippen, either), but on the offensive end of the floor, he is top 5 all time. Dirk, while good, never reached that level. Dirk could score... that's it. Magic could score (when he wanted to), pass, rebound all at all-time great levels.

FWIW, I think GP is a great player and is severely underrated for his career.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
What are the odds that Corbin puts Millsap (Who is hampered by knee injuries and can't move that well and has been a bad defender even without injuries) on Amar'e tonight instead of Favors/Evans? Because I think it's like 60-75% and it will make my head explode. I think Al, Favors, Hayward, and Harris should have great games, think the team will pull out the win. Late game offense needs to be more varied and less predictable though. Al post-up is a good play, but it shouldn't be the only play of the last ten possessions of the game...
Quit shitting up the thread, dammit!

benita said:
Dude you can't use "didn't make the finals" as a slight against Nash and completely ignore Iverson in the same sentence.

Sure Nash played on great teams but they coincided with phenomenal runs from the Spurs and Lakers.

Whatever, we can go round and round about whether KG is top 24, 25, 26 or whatever and it would be a decent debate.

But thekad's top 10 claim? Pure bullshit.

Nash lost to Dallas too. Nash continually loses because of his defense.

Iverson made out it out of one of the weakest conferences we've ever seen. Same reason many discount Lebron's finals/

Again, agree on the top 10 being wrong. he's somewhere in the 16-24 range, depending on who you ask IMO.

But some people were saying it's questionable that he's top 50. That's just crazy talk.

edit: FTR, KG didn't take that many more jump shots than Timmy during their prime years. More, yes, but not an excessive amount more (check the $tats). And I too take Duncan over KG. Duncan's passing is underrated, fwiw.

etiolate

Banned
uh Duncan's D >>> KG's defense

Some of Garnett's TWolves teams got lit up hard.

That's not true at all. KG might be the starting PF on an all defensive team

KG was a better defender, but my statement is still true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom