• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

KG? Sure is a more overall balanced player than Duncan is. They are both top fifty players.

McHale fucked up his prime? I don't think so.

SUPREME1

Banned
thekad said:
Seeing as how you are a Raptors fan, I shouldn't expect you to know basketball, but:

14x All-Star
9x All-NBA
10x All-Defensive
2004 MVP (and was robbed of 2008 MVP)
2008 Defensive Player of the Year
1 Alpha Ring
One of the greatest defenders of all-time

What are you talking about?

I'm guessing that he meant he's no longer Top-10.

But if he did mean he's not a Top-50 all time...

kad/10

Omiee

Black Mamba said:
wtf, argument? There are not 30 people better than KG all-time. No way, no how. 50 shouldn't even be brought up.

Are you kidding me? Sure the guy is good and all but there most def have been 30 better players than him all time.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Omiee said:
I realy dont get this crying thing, why would you cry about regular season loses.
I dont see the lakers crying or what ever when they lost to the cavs. It feels to me like they have no confidence in their own team and team mates.

The thing that really isn't being said, the fucking coach blurted it out

Your own Fucking Head Coach went "Guys, psst news guys, the players I coach, hehe, some of them are crying in the locker room, hehe, go report"

I would understand if you are trying to get them riled up, and refocus them, but it did the complete opposite

Phil Jackson talks shit, but does it so well, quietly doing his Zen reverse talk, and getting the most out of his players

Spoelstra just goes around dropping dimes on his own f'n team, WAT!?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
KG? Sure is a more overall balanced player than Duncan is. They are both top fifty players.

I don't know, everytime I think of KG and how good he was, I have to remind myself that even Iverson managed to carry a bunch of scrubs to the finals and KG couldn't even get his teams beyond the first round until Cassel/Sprewell and then Pierce/Allen/Rondo later on.

And in three of those seven first round exits his teams had 50+ wins and homecourt. That was KG in his pure unadulterated prime.

giri

Black Mamba said:
wtf, argument? There are not 30 people better than KG all-time. No way, no how. 50 shouldn't even be brought up.
Eh i think you're blowing your load over trivialities here, top 50 of all time is one heck of a list to be part of regardless of ranking in there.

Omiee

GraveRobberX said:
The thing that really isn't being said, the fucking coach blurted it out

Your own Fucking Head Coach went "Guys, psst news guys, the players I coach, hehe, some of them are crying in the locker room, hehe, go report"

I would understand if you are trying to get them riled up, and refocus them, but it did the complete opposite

Phil Jackson talks shit, but does it so well, quietly doing his Zen reverse talk, and getting the most out of his players

Spoelstra just goes around dropping dimes on his own f'n team, WAT!?

Yeah i really dont see what the benefit could be from leaking what happens in the dressing room. The guys have to be fucking embarrassed right now. And again why even cry, just man up and take the challenge.

Sanjuro

reilo said:
I don't know, everytime I think of KG and how good he was, I have to remind myself that even Iverson managed to carry a bunch of scrubs to the finals and KG couldn't even get his teams beyond the first round until Cassel/Sprewell and then Pierce/Allen/Rondo later on.

And in three of those seven first round exits his teams had 50+ wins and homecourt.
KG isn't a selfish player like Iverson was. AI's teams relied on every once of his physical ability and skill. They are kind of hard to compare the two.

Still, I can't believe AI managed to get to the finals. Makes LeBron look even worse.

reilo

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
KG isn't a selfish player like Iverson was. AI's teams relied on every once of his physical ability and skill. They are kind of hard to compare the two.

Still, I can't believe AI managed to get to the finals. Makes LeBron look even worse.
A top ten of all time player is still a transformational figure that can muster whatever dregs he has around him to at least one playoff advancement in seven straight tries, no? It's what made Hakeem so special. That's a top-ten player, in my opinion.
Rodeo Clown said:
The Wolves only had HCA in 03 (#4 seed) and 04 (#1 seed).
B-R.com says they had a top four seed in 2000, 2002, and 2003. Or is that divisional standings?

SUPREME1

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

Of course you don't.

Moving on...

Top 5 best PFs to have played during the last ten years, regardless if they were in their prime or not?

Duncan
Malone
Garnett
Kemp
Webber

giri

reilo said:
A top ten of all time player is still a transformational figure that can muster whatever dregs he has around him to at least one playoff advancement in seven straight tries, no? It's what made Hakeem so special. That's a top-ten player, in my opinion.
Signed.

Black Mamba said:
KG is easily a top 50 all-time guy.

And while's he below Duncan, it's not by much. Just because McHale fucked his prime up doesn't mean he isn't an all-timer.

I definitely think he has a case for top 20.
There is no way KG is close to Duncan. KG was primarily a jumpshooter while Duncan was a low post scorer that you can build an offense around. Did everyone forget when KG was known to be a choker in the 4th quarter?

Gigglepoo

Black Mamba said:

I didn't start watching the NBA until 1989 so it's pretty difficult for me to put KG into historical context.

From what I've seen:

1) Duncan
2) KG
3) Malone
4) Barkely

I think that's right. I'm not familiar enough with McHale, unfortunately.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

LeBron go to the Finals too...

Sanjuro

ImperialConquest said:
Of course you don't.
I'm not sure why you post in here. You don't know anything about basketball junior.

Anyway,

reilo said:
I would say that is a close estimate of the term. Really depends on the competition around. League has been deluded for quite a bit now.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

McHale didn't? I forget all those all-stars KG played with for all those years. Care to name em?

KG > Malone.

Also, would love someone to name the 30 better players.

KG played with garbage until one season of cassell/sprewell came along. Why should we blame KG for that?

have people forgotten McHale's Joe Smith under the table deal fucked the franchise over for years?

Sanjuro

jman2050 said:
There is no way in hell Garnett is even close to Duncan.
Sure he is. Like I said before, he is a more complete player than Duncan however the latter still gets the nod.

Black Mamba said:
McHale didn't?
Well, what do you mean exactly by that statement? I take it as you are referring to injuries.

Barrage

Love how the argument "went from "KG is near Top 10" to "KG is Top 30". I don't even need to say anything, y'all are figuring it out yourself.

Gigglepoo

Black Mamba said:

If I list guys like Wilt, the Big O, and Bernard King, are you going to call bullshit? Because I doubt anyone on this board actually saw them play.

reilo

Black Mamba said:
McHale didn't? I forget all those all-stars KG played with for all those years. Care to name em?

KG > Malone.

KG played with garbage until one season of cassell/sprewell came along. Why should we blame KG for that?

have people forgotten McHale's Joe Smith under the table deal fucked the franchise over for years?
Tom Gugliotta was an all-star in 1997. Terrell Brandon in 1996, 1997. Wally Szczerbiak in 2002. And of course Cassell, Sprewell, Marbury, and Chauncey were all all-stars during their careers (before or after being KG's teammates).

All of those are better players than anything Iverson played with during his Sixers days.

I can't believe I felt compelled to make this argument, but you set the parameters. So, there you go.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Sure he is. Like I said before, he is a more complete player than Duncan however the latter still gets the nod.

Well, what do you mean exactly by that statement? I take it as you are referring to injuries.

I mean McHale the GM fucked up KG's prime with the joe smith deal and awful decision making.

KG had a grand total of 1 season surrounded by a competent team and it made the WCF where Cassell got hurt.

Sanjuro

Black Mamba said:
I mean McHale the GM fucked up KG's prime with the joe smith deal and awful decision making.

KG had a grand total of 1 season surrounded by a competent team and it made the WCF where Cassell got hurt.
That is where I was lost. McHale is a top fifty player so for some reason I thought you were taking it out of the equation.

McHale the GM? *shrugs*

Sanjuro

reilo said:
Tom Gugliotta was an all-star in 1997. Terrell Brandon in 1996, 1997. Wally Szczerbiak in 2002. And of course Cassell, Sprewell, Marbury, and Chauncey were all all-stars during their careers (before or after being KG's teammates).

All of those are better players than anything Iverson played with during his Sixers days.

I can't believe I felt compelled to make this argument, but you set the parameters. So, there you go.
We can clusterfuck the argument even more. Did Duncan ever do it alone?

reilo

By my count, KG has played with seven all-stars -- many of them multiple all-stars. That's before being traded to the Celtics.
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
We can clusterfuck the argument even more. Did Duncan ever do it alone?
He wasn't exactly surrounded by established talent in that 2003 title run. The second leading scorer on that team was a rookie Tony Parker at 15.5PPG followed by Stephen Jackson at 11.8PPG. Just saying.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
reilo said:

Let's not compare Iverson to KG when it comes to playoffs. We can't ignore the fact that the East was a lot weaker during the relevant years.

thekad

Banned
This kid talking about Gugliotta? smh

Garnett was the best player on a championship team and he's being compared to AI :lol

giri

Black Mamba said:

Most people won't cause list wars are boring. But you're trying to put him in the likes of Prime Shaq, hakeem, jordon, bird, Magic, wilt all those guys. He's not up on their level, but again, thats no slander, there are very few who are or ever will be. Saying top 50 with the thousands upon thousands of players who have passed through the league, is quite an acomplishment.

reilo

commish said:
Let's not compare Iverson to KG when it comes to playoffs. We can't ignore the fact that the East was a lot weaker during the relevant years.
That post of mine was within the context of this post:
reilo said:
thekad said:
This kid talking about Gugliotta? smh

Garnett was the best player on a championship team and he's being compared to AI :lol
Oh hey, it's patented reply by thekad where he actually doesn't quote a post but still replies to it, and still manages to completely miss the point! Awesome job, guy!

reilo said:
Tom Gugliotta was an all-star in 1997. Terrell Brandon in 1996, 1997. Wally Szczerbiak in 2002.

The guy has been surrounded by guys like Marbury (before Vaseline!), Chauncey, Joe Smith, Spree and Cassell. All of those are better players than anything Iverson played with during his Sixers days.

Iverson played in a shit conference. Have people forgotten what 2001 East looked like? Who was his competition. The Bucks, Raptors. please. And Iverson had Mutumbo for part of a season and a properly built team around his skills.

Googs was an all-starin '97, not near KG's prime. Same with Brandon, whose career ended prematurely. Marbury bailed out. Chauncey was a nomad. Joe Smith, smh. he was never an all-star.

What center did he play with during his prime? huh? Ervin Johnson! The Kandi man Marc Jackson. lol.

His prime years consisted of Troy Hudson, those 2 Cs, Madsen, Gary Trent, Hoiberg, hassell, Wally, Peeler (the old one), Kendall Gill. These types of players mostly, aans 1 season.

KG wishes he had what Lebron had in Cleveland the past 2 seasons. KG's teams without him would have won like 15 games.

reilo

Black Mamba said:
Iverson played in a shit conference. Have people forgotten what 2001 East looked like? Who was his competition. The Bucks, Raptors. please. And Iverson had Mutumbo for part of a season and a properly built team around his skills.

Googs was an all-starin '97, not near KG's prime. Same with Brandon, whose career ended prematurely. Marbury bailed out. Chauncey was a nomad. Joe Smith, smh. he was never an all-star.

What center did he play with during his prime? huh? Ervin Johnson! The Kandi man Marc Jackson. lol.

His prime years consisted of Troy Hudson, those 2 Cs, Madsen, Gary Trent, Hoiberg, hassell, Wally, Peeler (the old one), Kendall Gill. These types of players mostly, aans 1 season.

KG wishes he had what Lebron had in Cleveland the past 2 seasons. KG's teams without him would have won like 15 games.
And yet many players that can be legitimately called top-ten managed to drag their sorry-ass team out of the first round.

You set the parameters, don't go back-pedaling now.

Sanjuro

Come on guys. Let's talk about real PFs who don't get it done.

98p9p.jpg

Black Mamba said:

Keep lowering expectations and Bosh might be top 10 one day.

benita

Banned
thekad said:
:lol Name them.

Duncan
Malone
McHale
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
Russell
Cousy
Kobe
Jordan
Lebron
Hakeem
Stockton
Iverson
Isiah
Nash
Pippen
Kareem
Walton
Dirk
Worthy
West
Oscar
Moses
Allen
Erving
Havlicek
Ewing
Barkley

reilo said:
By my count, KG has played with seven all-stars -- many of them multiple all-stars. That's before being traded to the Celtics.
He wasn't exactly surrounded by established talent in that 2003 title run. The second leading scorer on that team was a rookie Tony Parker at 15.5PPG followed by Stephen Jackson at 11.8PPG. Just saying.

dude. come on with this all-star argument. Wally was the only all-star he played with until Cassell, and that wally pick was curious at best.

googs only played with KG his first 2 1/2 years in the league. By '99 he was in Phx.

Billups was nowhere near what he became in Minnesota. Didn't even play 30mpg.

numble

Black Mamba said:

KG > Malone.

Malone almost caught up to Kareem, and that was without Shape Ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom