• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

LiveFromKyoto said:
No way. Lebron's bigger, younger and has more all around game. He's still the single best player in the game. Riley's not moving him for anybody, unless Dwight Howard is made available. And even then, it makes more sense to move Wade first.
(apart from the fact that i don't rate LBJ close to the best in the league)LBJ's got the bigger media presence, but thats about it. LBJ tried to get the coach fired, and was told no earlier this season. That team isn't his. That franchise isn't His. They aren't kowtowing to him.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Exactly. I don't get how your counter-argument is making sense giri. If Wade was in control of this team we would be seeing some changes most notably that he never takes the last shot anymore though you know he wants it. Lebron is the superstar of the 3 make no mistake.

Because it's the difference between to the two players and someone who has been around as long as riley knows it. Wade is willing to give up that late game shot and see if LBJ is the one to take it. He's willing to try anything, to win. He'll start to re-assert him self soon, he made the first steps in that press confrence after the chicago game.

If the talk is true, it was Wade that brought in Bosh, while LBJ wanted Amare more. Wade influences that organisation from top to bottom. LBJ doesn't.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Wade and LeBron attack the basket and look for foul calls as their only method of scoring. LeBron is the better passer, rebounder, and defender by a mile.

I would bet a lot of money that Wade at least hits the rim on a layup in the last second drawn up for him.

thekad

Banned
Hollinger said:
We're getting to the stretch run and pretty soon all of our focus will be on the main players on the contending teams, as playoff positioning and award races dominate the conversation.

Before we hit that point, we have time to look at some players toiling in relative obscurity who could make a major impact next season. I'm not talking about the John Walls and DeMarcus Cousinses of the league. I mean players who are relative unknown but have started to turn the corner for what are in most cases lesser teams.

I call this my All-2012 team, first because I'm trying to stay optimistic that there will be an actual season next season but mostly because what these players are doing right now is a harbinger (there's that word again) of potentially greater productivity a year from now. All of these guys are young, only one or two are well-known and most of them don't even start, but each has played well enough of late to raise my expectations for their respective futures.

So, my All-2012 team:

Chase Budinger, Rockets
Budinger's season stats don't look too different from his numbers from last season, but that disguises how he's done it. He looked horrible early in the season but has blown up in recent weeks.

With the trade of Shane Battier, Budinger has taken on a much larger role and been a huge factor in the Rockets' recent 7-1 surge back into playoff contention. Dropping 17.3 points per game in the stretch while playing as something of a Kevin Martin clone -- combining 3-pointers with a high free throw rate, much like his hyper-efficient teammate -- Budinger has moved his small forward-of-the-future status into the present.

Imagine if he could play defense.

Omiee said:
Are you kidding me, that guy is all force and end game bulldozer moves. The only thing he does is drive to the rim. Also he is not easy to handle as a team mate.
I would keep wade and lose bosh and lebron and just build up again.

Lebron is younger. Maybe people are forgetting that Wade is 29 already.

exarkun

goddamn are we STILL talking about the heat.

wtf.

At least Karl will be the Nuggets still for the next few years.

I actually hope the Rox keep Adelman. Reward him with a few better players/more time with a good crew. If Sacramento is any indication, he can do magic with middling teams.

charsace

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Wade and LeBron attack the basket and look for foul calls as their only method of scoring. LeBron is the better passer, rebounder, and defender by a mile.
Yeah, no. Lebron is the bigger guy, but his rebounding numbers aren't really all that better and decent offensive players light Lebron up.

Pierce, Gallo, Melo, Gay, etc have all had him on skates when they put the ball on the floor. There's a reason why the heat try to hide him on defense. Just because he gets some weakside blocks and some steals people call him great defender and put him on the all defensive team.

giri

charsace said:
There's difference between saying someone is an allstar and that they have allstar potential. The only one out of all those guys that had a chance was felton and that was before the injuries slowed him down.

I don't think watch the knicks enough if you think Gallo is just a spot up shooter. He's one of the best slashing 3's in the league. He just happens to have a good outside shot. Gallo also plays good defense. Chandler is great midrange shooter with mediocre handles and his decent at creating his own shot.
I didn't say Gallo was just a spot up shooter. I said he had good shooting. There's many guys @ the 3 in the league who are good slashers, but not that many with good range. Combined with his size, he really could start for a contender.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Lebron has way more range and better court vision than Wade. Wade has better footwork and a more refined post game. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say he has a better all-around game.

You need to take position into account with the rebounding, though. Wade is an otherworldly rebounder this season at SG while Bron is merely great. But yeah, Bron is a better defender than Wade. And his assist numbers and court vision @ SG are mind boggling.
Wade has better shot selection than LeBron, more elusive on the drive. Not to mention Wade is more clutch when not having LeBron on the court... I've said I don't fear LeBron in the final seconds because you know he'll bullrush/try to get a foul. Wade is so fucking elusive and deadly in past years it's nuts to think he doesn't get it in the final seconds anymore.

KingGondo

Banned
exarkun said:
I actually hope the Rox keep Adelman. Reward him with a few better players/more time with a good crew. If Sacramento is any indication, he can do magic with middling teams.
Yeah, I shudder to think about what a coach like Adelman could do with this Thunder team. Scott Brooks doesn't know what the hell he's doing when it comes to substitutions/matchups. He thinks goddamn smallball is the answer to everything, then we get outrebounded by a million against the Grizzlies.

charsace said:
Yeah, no. Lebron is the bigger guy, but his rebounding numbers aren't really all that better and decent offensive players light Lebron up.

Pierce, Gallo, Melo, Gay, etc have all had him on skates when they put the ball on the floor. There's a reason why the heat try to hide him on defense. Just because he gets some weakside blocks and some steals people call him great defender and put him on the all defensive team.

LeBron is so overrated on defense.

Because he makes "spectacular" chase down blocks and isolated steals and other things every now and then, he's talked about as if he's one of the best defenders in the league.

Ronnie Brewer and Luol Deng are better defenders than him not to mention countless others.

charsace

The Frankman said:
It would take a colossally bad record, but can you imagine if LeBron or Wade get dealt next year? Jesus Christ Almighty, remember they took less than the max on their deals. Whatever team got them would have to deal a ton of picks but yikes...

And how would that players' stock fall? Media would say Wade got ousted out of Miami, but if LeBron got dealt he's done. The media would Pontius Pilate him. Jordan would have a field day on him, not to mention what the city of Cleveland would do.
I can see Wade or Bosh being traded.The only way Lebron gets traded is if its him, Bosh and some firsts for Dwight Howard since I don't think Dwight would want to play with Lebron.

Time to talk about something more interesting, Deron Williams out for the Warriors and Clippers game because of the birth of his child. He'll come back against the Celtics and Bulls which smells like four blowouts to me. Back to back versus the Bucks on the road, then a road game against the Wizards with the Nets disspirted, back-to-back versus the Pacers, easy game versus Cleveland but then a road back-to-back versus Orlando and Atlanta, more tough games, Deron's wrist needs a month of healing...Nets to 2-19 to finish the season. Jazz need to lose to the Raptors to make this worthwhile.

Iso defense doesn't matter that much. Raja Bell is still an elite iso defender going by stats yet watch a single Jazz game and you'll know he's one of the worst defenders in the NBA because his rotations are horrible. Rotations matter far more than iso D and LeBron can rotate better than anyone in the league.

The Frankman said:
Wade has better shot selection than LeBron, more elusive on the drive. Not to mention Wade is more clutch when not having LeBron on the court... I've said I don't fear LeBron in the final seconds because you know he'll bullrush/try to get a foul. Wade is so fucking elusive and deadly in past years it's nuts to think he doesn't get it in the final seconds anymore.
Up until this year, I feared Lebron in the clutch. Not anymore. He has been stinking it up. Never feared Wade too much in the clutch. Not for the last couple years anyway. Once his mid-range J went from being pretty good to being sub-Lebron he became a lot less deadly and less well-rounded in my eyes.
Ronnie Brewer and Luol Deng are better defenders than him not to mention countless others.
I don't know if it's just been you, but I have seen a lot more love for Brewer and Deng in the past year. That makes me happy. Brewer is a realy nice piece, and Deng's playing like he did a couple years ago... finally playing up to his contract.

Omiee

Lebron might have better skills, but i would still take wade over lebron. Lebron is to difficult to handle as a coach.

charsace

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
LeBron is so overrated on defense.

Because he makes "spectacular" chase down blocks and isolated steals and other things every now and then, he's talked about as if he's one of the best defenders in the league.

I agree. Gay, Gallo, Pierce, Melo, Deng are all better man defenders than Lebron. Lebron's at his best defensively when he roams and Miami doesn't actually do much with him like they did in cleveland. When you leave Lebron out on an island he gets worked because he has bad footwork.

giri said:
Because it's the difference between to the two players and someone who has been around as long as riley knows it. Wade is willing to give up that late game shot and see if LBJ is the one to take it. He's willing to try anything, to win. He'll start to re-assert him self soon, he made the first steps in that press confrence after the chicago game.

If the talk is true, it was Wade that brought in Bosh, while LBJ wanted Amare more. Wade influences that organisation from top to bottom. LBJ doesn't.

Well If Wade is indeed in charge I would expect we will be seeing a lot of changes.

charsace said:
I agree Gay, Gallo, Pierce, Melo, Deng are all better man defenders

There you have it.

Guys that play their guy good all game, it may not be a stat always but LeBron isn't shutting down any great player for most of the game.

charsace said:
I agree. Gay, Gallo, Pierce, Melo, Deng are all better man defenders than Lebron.
7ro.gif

exarkun

KingGondo said:
Yeah, I shudder to think about what a coach like Adelman could do with this Thunder team. Scott Brooks doesn't know what the hell he's doing when it comes to substitutions/matchups. He thinks goddamn smallball is the answer to everything, then we get outrebounded by a million against the Grizzlies.

Adelman with that team equals western conference finals. No way does Westbrook keep on ignoring the way of the traditional PG at crucial times in games with Adelman. He'll cut his time or pick someone up that will either teach him or be the traditional PG that he needs.

Durant would evolve. And defense will finally be a primary concern. If he can get the Rox team of now to play defense, I think he would get you guys to play D.

He'd finally be able to tax dat Jackson ass. He's had at most 1.5 superstars on his team (maybe) but with 2 certifiable ones it could get crazy.

LOL at Giri thinking the Heat would trade Bron before Wade. Sorry man but no way. I can't stand LeBron and I'd trade Wade in a milisecond before LeBron. Why? LeBron has yet to go down for a long period of time due to injury unlike Wade. Bron is MUCH more marketable compared to Wade. Bron is younger compared to Wade. Its easier to build around Bron than it is Wade. This may still be Wade's team but give it a year or so and it will no longer be.

I'd take Wade, too. He's very coachable, Pat Riley raved about him and I know Spo likes him. And on the topic of redundacy with Wade and LeBron, I fear we ignore a bigger one with Haslem and Bosh...

Haslem is a tough, 6'8 PF who can guard bigger guys and was developed a decent-enough 15-foot jumper. Bosh is a 6'11 PF who seems to play smaller than he is and is known strictly for his jumper. Ideally in a Bosh/Haslem lineup you'd want Bosh to guard C's... but we know that's not a good idea. Haslem cam survive at C but against the elite teams that have a good player at either position that'll hurt the Heat. And let's be real, Haslem is an important role player for the Heat, he's the only legit defensive big they have that can play some offense.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
charsace said:
I agree. Gay, Gallo, Pierce, Melo, Deng are all better man defenders than Lebron. Lebron's at his best defensively when he roams and Miami doesn't actually do much with him like they did in cleveland. When you leave Lebron out on an island he gets worked because he has bad footwork.

Hmm, cant' tell if this is a joke post or not...

The Frankman said:
Haslem is a tough, 6'8 PF who can guard bigger guys and was developed a decent-enough 15-foot jumper.

Haslem scares me, every time he shoots that jumper, I think it's in.

Not to mention all the other things he does you covered.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I see Wade commercials more than LeBron commercials.

Marketability isn't just about commercials. I really REALLY hate that I am being put in a position to defend LeBron but did Wade take the Heat to the best record without Shaq? Did he take the Heat to the conference finals without Shaq? The pieces on the Cavs weren't that much better than what Wade has had since the championship run. Wade may be the guy you'd want in the last 10 seconds but if you're building a team around one player and you lack truly valuable and capable role players, give me LeBron.

The Frankman said:
I'd take Wade, too. He's very coachable, Pat Riley raved about him and I know Spo likes him. And on the topic of redundacy with Wade and LeBron, I fear we ignore a bigger one with Haslem and Bosh...

Haslem is a tough, 6'8 PF who can guard bigger guys and was developed a decent-enough 15-foot jumper. Bosh is a 6'11 PF who seems to play smaller than he is and is known strictly for his jumper. Ideally in a Bosh/Haslem lineup you'd want Bosh to guard C's... but we know that's not a good idea. Haslem cam survive at C but against the elite teams that have a good player at either position that'll hurt the Heat. And let's be real, Haslem is an important role player for the Heat, he's the only legit defensive big they have that can play some offense.
You make a good point. One thing I need to correct you on, though: Bosh is known for his face-up game and lethal first step. His jumper is solid for a man his size, but nothing worth going to regularly like Dirk or Garnett. He is excellent in the pick and roll. If Bosh is being used as a spot up jump shooter, his talents are being wasted, and that's what appears to be happening in Miami.

charsace

Omiee said:
Lebron might have better skills, but i would still take wade over lebron. Lebron is to difficult to handle as a coach.
Lebron doesn't have better skills he's just bigger. Wade's post game, footwork and ballhandling are much better.

pilonv1

You know whose passes so far this season have also led to a 60 percent accuracy rate for teammates? Monta Ellis, according to what Kopp showed me. The same Monta Ellis most NBA die-hards critique as an inefficient gunner who doesn’t help his teammates all that much.

I always knew Monta was one of the all time greats. In a class of his own with Tim Duncan

charsace

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I forgot about him. He's the best perimeter defender this year and should be second to Howard for defensive player of the year.

commish said:
Hmm, cant' tell if this is a joke post or not...
If only it was. Good offensive players aren't scared of Lebron. He gets worked all the time. His man defense is overrated. Good offensive players always have him off balance.

One thing I've noticed is that strong 3's and big 3's that know how to defend can keep Lebron from getting layups and he is quite content bomb away from midrange.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
You make a good point. One thing I need to correct you on, though: Bosh is known for his face-up game and lethal first step. His jumper is solid for a man his size, but nothing worth going to regularly like Dirk or Garnett. He is excellent in the pick and roll. If Bosh is being used as a spot up jump shooter, his talents are being wasted, and that's what appears to be happening in Miami.
Yeah but in Miami he never uses it so I didn't mention it. The Heat are loaded with redundancy and I don't see it getting better. Heck they arguably got worse by signing Bibby...
If only it was. Good offensive players aren't scared of Lebron. He gets worked all the time. His man defense is overrated. Good offensive players always have him off balance.

One thing I've noticed is that strong 3's and big 3's that know how to defend can keep Lebron from getting layups and he is quite content bomb away from midrange.
Carmelo Anthony can and has gone to town on LeBron because he plays a similiar way and has a similar frame; however Carmelo CAN be elusive when he wants to be, not to mention they know each other's games since HS.

The Stealth Fox said:
If the answer is zero, then does good defense hurt your team?

It means that Lamar Odom penetrated that ass for 28 points, Pau for 19 and Matt Barnes for 15. Kobe's scoring wasn't needed that night.

I'd include the fact that Kobe was nursing a sore finger on his shooting hand as well but that fucker has jacked up hands anyway.

Is it just me, or is it completely insane that ESPN has Jalen Rose on their NBA coverage sitting there telling Lebron how to win games? In 5 years will Michael Redd be the go-to expert for what everybody should have done in the playoffs?

charsace

The Frankman said:
Yeah but in Miami he never uses it so I didn't mention it. The Heat are loaded with redundancy and I don't see it getting better. Heck they arguably got worse by signing Bibby...

Carmelo Anthony can and has gone to town on LeBron because he plays a similiar way and has a similar frame; however Carmelo CAN be elusive when he wants to be, not to mention they know each other's games since HS.
His that why Gallo drop 20 on him twice? Lebron's defense is poor for a guy that's allowed to handcheck people.

SUPREME1

Banned
LeBron would be the smart choice to keep if it was between him and Wade.

For many reasons, actually:

Media power
Health

Not that it matters at this point. Kobe's gonna get his 6th ring in June and these pretenders will still be trying to figure a way out to dethrone him.

charsace said:
His that why Gallo drop 20 on him twice? Lebron's defense is poor for a guy that's allowed to handcheck people.
I'm not saying LeBron can't D Carmelo because Carmelo is of similar build, I'm saying Carmelo is better equipped to guard LeBron. LeBron doesn't play good D, we all know that. But Carmelo as a star player (ref respect), similar frame and a guy who knows LeBron's game better than Chandler/Gallo can do a better job than most if he actually works at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom