• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

Black Mamba said:
I...I don't understand why you smh at me. What I posted is agreeing with you.
Would you stop hating on knick posters?

(BTW, the knicks got better with that trade, they still gave up a hell of a lot though).

charsace

DCX said:
...smh. Listen, i'm not a fan of the use of best worst team or worst best team in the league. I deal with numbers. Fact.
Right now it's fact that they are shitty in close game situations.
Right now it's fact that the Knicks are a .500 ish team.
Right now it's fact we are 2-2 against said Heat.

What does this mean in reality? We are playing up to our par. We beat good teams, even out with loses against Cleveland and we are who we say we are.

Miami? 40+ wins, two of the top 15 closers in the game. Three all-stars two all NBA players. We already won crusade and they are one of the worst closing teams in the NBA. In the same league as Cleveland, NJ and Minnesota. Something about that is alarming to me and due for concern coming to playoff time where everything is magnified and where close games are the rule.

It isn't a fluke that Miami is shitty in close games. We all knew this would be an issue. One ball, two alpha dogs. Deal with it.

DCX
I called this and people on here said I was crazy. I said Miami at best was a conference finals team and that most likely they would be knocked out in the second round, but people on here were penciling them in against the Lakers before a game was even played. I broke this whole thing down right down to their Callipari iso offense and people said I was talking nonsense. More than half the season is through and they are still running a the take turns iso with Bosh completely cut out of the iso rotation.

I just love how the miami situation has turned out.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
Harden played well for 5 games? The black Andrea Bargnani, confirmed.
It's not a fluke! The competition has been stiff!

(Don't look up who we played)

But seriously, the dude passes the eye test now that he knows that his role is to be the 3rd scorer.

charsace

giri said:
Meh, i see a lot of his stats as empty stats for the most part. I rarely see him create in the offense, and most of his points come in transition. The scoring in transition thing isn't bad, but a lot of the O really doesn't come from him, it still comes from Gay/z-bo.

But i stopped watching grizz games earlier this year, so maybe he's changed.
It isn't about him scoring. Its about him having the ball in his hands and deciding what the team will do. That's what he's finally gotten a chance to do and that's the reason why the grizz is so good this year. They finally have a pg that knows how to manage the game. Its why I've always liked conley. I liked him more than Oden and Durant because of how he can control a game.

charsace said:
I called this and people on here said I was crazy. I said Miami at best was a conference finals team and that most likely they would be knocked out in the second round, but people on here were penciling them in against the Lakers before a game was even played. I broke this whole thing down right down to their Callipari iso offense and people said I was talking nonsense. More than half the season is through and they are still running a the take turns iso with Bosh completely cut out of the iso rotation.

I just love how the miami situation has turned out.

How has it turned out? We're still in the regular season you moron

DCX

DCX
ph33nix said:
True. There is something to be said about a .500 Knick team shooting better and performing better in close game situations than the Heat.

Yes you have to be a good team to be in close game situations alot, but like i said. In a hotly contested playoff series, more than likely against NY ( which has two home arenas ) you almost have to try to blow us out every game, if not the mentally weak Heat will take over and rivers will be filled..

DCX

charsace

ph33nix said:
A bunch of weakminded crybabies which is the Lebron way if you didn't notice. Anyone that tries to challenge Lebron gets their ass booted. The one good coach he had that would stand up to him and he was run out of cleveland. Lebron is a mentally weak person and when you have a person like him leading it will rub off on guys. It rubbed off on the guys on cleveland and they are a wreck because of it. No heart at all. Same thing is happening in Miami with dudes crying and choking when teams aren't scared of them.

Right now Bosh is the one everyone, including players are shitting on. Soon it will be Wade too since he's turning into another Lebron bottom bitch. There will be scapegoats when the heat are run out of the finals and the media has been setting up Wade by highlighting his bad play in the heat losses.

You really don't understand what is happening to your own team do you? Lebron has taken over. It isn't Wade's team anymore, he isn't the man anymore. If the Heat have to choose between Wade and Lebron Wade will be the one to go. I'm sure Wade regrets not going back to his home town.

jjasper

charsace said:
You guys stunted Bayless' development by not playing him and developing him into a dumb direction.

No they didn't. It still blows my find that he was a lottery pick.

giri said:
Meh, i see a lot of his stats as empty stats for the most part. I rarely see him create in the offense, and most of his points come in transition. The scoring in transition thing isn't bad, but a lot of the O really doesn't come from him, it still comes from Gay/z-bo.

But i stopped watching grizz games earlier this year, so maybe he's changed.

His stats are more valuable this year than any other. If anything I would say his stats the last few years were empty. He has moved from beyond just scoring and now actually plays into the offense. He keeps the defense honest so that Z-Bo and Gasol can go to work and make shots in the clutch. He is a much better team player this year than last because of playing with USA.

charsace said:
A bunch of weakminded crybabies which is the Lebron way if you didn't notice. Anyone that tries to challenge Lebron gets their ass booted. The one good coach he had that would stand up to him and he was run out of cleveland. Lebron is a mentally weak person and when you have a person like him leading it will rub off on guys. It rubbed off on the guys on cleveland and they are a wreck because of it. No heart at all. Same thing is happening in Miami with dudes crying and choking when teams aren't scared of them.

Right now Bosh is the one everyone, including players are shitting on. Soon it will be Wade too since he's turning into another Lebron bottom bitch. There will be scapegoats when the heat are run out of the finals and the media has been setting up Wade by highlighting his bad play in the heat losses.

You really don't understand what is happening to your own team do you? Lebron has taken over. It isn't Wade's team anymore, he isn't the man anymore. If the Heat have to choose between Wade and Lebron Wade will be the one to go. I'm sure Wade regrets not going back to his home town.

And on that note...

benita

Banned
reilo said:
Harden played well for 5 games? The black Andrea Bargnani, confirmed.

If he stretches it to 10 he'll have as strong an All-Star case as Lamarcus Aldridge.

Please go off for 40-20 on Bosh tonight

giri

jjasper said:
No they didn't. It still blows my find that he was a lottery pick.

His stats are more valuable this year than any other. If anything I would say his stats the last few years were empty. He has moved from beyond just scoring and now actually plays into the offense. He keeps the defense honest so that Z-Bo and Gasol can go to work and make shots in the clutch. He is a much better team player this year than last because of playing with USA.
Are you talking about conley or gay?

i'm talking about conley.

s_vod_nba_miamiheatcrygate_110307_4x3.300w.jpg

Every game I watch of the Heat I get this feeling that Spoelstra is so far over his head with this team.

giri

charsace said:
Let's be honest, Lebron runs that team.
Lebron runs the media gamut more than wade, but if you think the franchise isn't wades you're off on a trip. If wade came to riles office and said "lets talk trades, for LBJ" riles would be on the phones.

They may be the lucky ones that end up with Caron buttler & Jet.

giri said:
Lebron runs the media gamut more than wade, but if you think the franchise isn't wades you're off on a trip. If wade came to riles office and said "lets talk trades, for LBJ" riles would be on the phones.

If this is true, then why is LeBron always getting the last shot and why is Wade complaining about it???

Some pull Wade has.

Sloan Sports Analytics Conference was this weekend.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/03/04/boundless-potential-with-nbas-advanced-metrics/

But I’m not sure that’s true, or that it even matters. Take this nugget: Kopp took me aside after the presentation and showed me data on the field-goal percentage of players who shoot after receiving passes from specific teammates. San Antonio players, for instance, shoot 60 percent after receiving passes from Tim Duncan. That’s a very high number, Kopp said, and it’s not entirely unexpected, given how much attention Duncan still draws in the post and on pick-and-rolls. But it’s a higher number than the comparable figure for most point guards.

You know whose passes so far this season have also led to a 60 percent accuracy rate for teammates? Monta Ellis, according to what Kopp showed me. The same Monta Ellis most NBA die-hards critique as an inefficient gunner who doesn’t help his teammates all that much. Interesting, no?
The other finding that has major implications for your favorite team: Catch-and-shoot attempts are much more efficient than other types of shots when you control for distance and the presence of a defender. A player’s shooting percentage jumps significantly when the last thing he does before the a shot is the act of catching a pass — and not the act of dribbling.

But if you catch a pass and hold the ball for about 2.25 seconds, whatever advantage you gained from catching the pass disappears. This makes sense, since holding the ball gives your defender a chance to catch up to you and prepare to defend your next move.

Think about the argument this data is making against the sort of isolation plays that have made someone like Carmelo Anthony into a star. It doesn’t mean isolations have no place in basketball — not when there’s a clock that limits the time each team has before it must shoot the ball. But this does raise the possibility that this kind of data, as it becomes more accessible, is going to make isolations look even worse than we already know they are.
Another bit of conventional wisdom Weil’s work confirms: Teams shoot a better percentage on possessions that start with a defensive rebound or a forced turnover. But once you dig even deeper, you find that the higher shooting percentage on these possessions only really exists if the team shoots quickly — early in the shot clock, before a defense can get set.

This would indicate that teams that try to force lots of turnovers, such as the Grizzlies and Celtics, might be making a smarter calculation than we realize. It also justifies the urgency with which a lot of point guards command their teammates get their butts moving after a defensive rebound.
More interesting stat stuff at the link.

charsace

giri said:

It isn't. The heat owner wants to win. Lebron is viewed as being the better player. And younger. And has a better injury history. If the heat have to choose between Wade and Lebron they will choose Lebron. From the shit Wade is saying right now you can tell he wants to ball to be in his hands more in the fourth. That just ins't the case. The organization is behind Lebron all the way. Its Lebron's team. Lebron leads not Wade.

giri said:
Would you stop hating on knick posters?

(BTW, the knicks got better with that trade, they still gave up a hell of a lot though).
That "hell of a lot" was called shit and shitter for the last two years on this board. Now they're suddenly talented players? I'm not saying they're not, but can NBA-GAF ever call players not on their team who aren't stars decent? I don't get this...

Felton is a nice PG who can get out-of-control at times, but he'll do fine in Denver. Gallo can finally blossom freed from the restrictions of the D'Antoni system and be that aggressive driver more frequently instead of just a 3-point threat. If Denver signs RFA Chandler and he manages not to get killed by the Crips, he's going to be a real nice player. But the Knicks had to do it... all that scrapping and trading away picks and getting under the cap, and now they have the foundation. Now they need to sign some role players/defensive big/outside shooter.

P.S. - Also fuck Denver for taking Mozgov, they didn't even need him. Fricking 3 centers on the roster already, they just did that to fuck the Knicks over.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
If this is true, then why is LeBron always getting the last shot and why is Wade complaining about it???

Some pull Wade has.

Thats your counter? Some argument.

Wade is the one more determined to win, and would probably sacrafice just about anything to get it.

giri said:
Thats your counter? Some argument.

Wade is the one more determined to win, and would probably sacrafice just about anything to get it.

Wade is crying that he isn't getting the last shot.

If it's HIS team and he's in control, he'd get the last shot.

It's not his team anymore and he's not in control.

It's that simple.

Scottie Pippen wanted to win too and he also sat out a second because they gave the shot to someone else.

Does Wade have no balls???

marathonfool said:
I would take Webster back in a heart beat for Babbitt. Babbitt is like a younger, shorter, weaker, and bad shooting Troy Murphy. I have no idea what the Blazers saw in him.

College basketball analysts were all over him because he put up stats. They compared him to Hall of Fame basketball players and said it was a crime that Paul George went ahead of him. The college basketball fan hype finally got someone to bite in Portland. Shows that college basketball people really have no idea how well players translate to the NBA.

giri said:

Riles would be on the phone shopping Wade.

As much as I dislike Bron at this point he is much more valuable than Wade. Wade would be sent out for a some combination of Center/SG/PG.

edit: I want to clarify that I would ship Bron out and not Wade but I don't think Heat FO would do the same.

giri

The Frankman said:
That "hell of a lot" was called shit and shitter for the last two years on this board. Now they're suddenly talented players? I'm not saying they're not, but can NBA-GAF ever call players not on their team who aren't stars decent? I don't get this...

Felton is a nice PG who can get out-of-control at times, but he'll do fine in Denver. Gallo can finally blossom freed from the restrictions of the D'Antoni system and be that aggressive driver more frequently instead of just a 3-point threat. If Denver signs RFA Chandler and he manages not to get killed by the Crips, he's going to be a real nice player. But the Knicks had to do it... all that scrapping and trading away picks and getting under the cap, and now they have the foundation. Now they need to sign some role players/defensive big/outside shooter.

P.S. - Also fuck Denver for taking Mozgov, they didn't even need him. Fricking 3 centers on the roster already, they just did that to fuck the Knicks over.
I didn't say they weren't worth giving up for melo for. But you did give up a lot of role players. Those role players got "hated on" here because we kept getting told they were All Stars and genuine title contender pieces. Feltons dumb as a brick, chandler is nice but guy is mediocre over all really (would be a great piece off the bench) Gallo is probably the onle one of the bunch that would be a starter on a legit chip team due to good shooting, but that was all over the shop this year for him, and he tries on the defensive end. Mozgov.... who the fuck really knows, he put together an ok stretch before the trade, but i still don't see him as much more than a 10mpg backup at best.

I say "heck of a lot" because just in terms of pure numbers, it was a lot, and you're suffering with depth due to it.

It was still all worth it to get melo IMO.

charsace said:
It isn't. The heat owner wants to win. Lebron is viewed as being the better player. And younger. And has a better injury history. If the heat have to choose between Wade and Lebron they will choose Lebron. From the shit Wade is saying right now you can tell he wants to ball to be in his hands more in the fourth. That just ins't the case. The organization is behind Lebron all the way. Its Lebron's team. Lebron leads not Wade.
I couldn't disagree more, that city is wades and so is that franchise. Has been for a long time, and will be for a long time. The on court stuff doens't count for a heck of a lot when LBJ's coming up short, and wade is visibly sacraficing his game to get LBJ integrated.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
College basketball analysts were all over him because he put up stats. They compared him to Hall of Fame basketball players and said it was a crime that Paul George went ahead of him. The college basketball fan hype finally got someone to bite in Portland. Shows that college basketball people really have no idea how well players translate to the NBA.
Nah, what doomed Babbitt was that charsace called him underrated/steal of the draft and a future all-star. True story.

giri said:
The on court stuff doens't count for a heck of a lot when LBJ's coming up short, and wade is visibly sacraficing his game to get LBJ integrated.

You just said Wade is determined to win more than anyone or something and by doing this, he sacrifices the last shot to a guy that causes them to lose all the time???

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

It's that simple.

Scottie Pippen wanted to win too and he also sat out a second because they gave the shot to someone else.

All your posts regarding the heat come off as if you're just some rabid dog with rabies foaming at the mouth to slander what ever the other person says in a slightly positive vibe about them.

I really can't take any of it seriously.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

It's that simple.

Exactly. I don't get how your counter-argument is making sense giri. If Wade was in control of this team we would be seeing some changes most notably that he never takes the last shot anymore though you know he wants it. Lebron is the superstar of the 3 make no mistake.

giri said:
All your posts regarding the heat come off as if you're just some rabid dog with rabies foaming at the mouth to slander what ever the other person says in a slightly positive vibe about them.

I really can't take any of it seriously.

This is bullshit, I just find that you made no sense whatsover and you didn't explain it so obviously it is true.

Good way to deflect though.

I like Wade as a player and have said it before, this alone shoots down what you just made up.

The team is no longer Wade's, everything points to that.

giri said:

No way. Lebron's bigger, younger and has more all around game. He's still the single best player in the game. Riley's not moving him for anybody, unless Dwight Howard is made available. And even then, it makes more sense to move Wade first.

Even I have to agree. It's not Wade's team anymore and everything coming out of Miami seems to point that way. Even Pheeniks and Cerrius have to come to grips with that.
No way. Lebron's bigger, younger and has more all around game. He's still the single best player in the game. Riley's not moving him for anybody, unless Dwight Howard is made available. And even then, it makes more sense to move Wade first.
Are you smoking right now??

LiveFromKyoto said:

hahaha no fing way.

Spooks

charsace said:
A bunch of weakminded crybabies which is the Lebron way if you didn't notice. Anyone that tries to challenge Lebron gets their ass booted. The one good coach he had that would stand up to him and he was run out of cleveland. Lebron is a mentally weak person and when you have a person like him leading it will rub off on guys. It rubbed off on the guys on cleveland and they are a wreck because of it.No heart at all. Same thing is happening in Miami with dudes crying and choking when teams aren't scared of them.
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. This Cavs team has more heart than the Heat do right now.

Omiee

LiveFromKyoto said:

Are you kidding me, that guy is all force and end game bulldozer moves. The only thing he does is drive to the rim. Also he is not easy to handle as a team mate.
I would keep wade and lose bosh and lebron and just build up again.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You guys are delusional if you think Wade is bigger than LBJ. If someone had to be moved on that team, I'd bet my life that Wade would be buying new luggage.

charsace

giri said:
I didn't say they weren't worth giving up for melo for. But you did give up a lot of role players. Those role players got "hated on" here because we kept getting told they were All Stars and genuine title contender pieces. Feltons dumb as a brick, chandler is nice but guy is mediocre over all really (would be a great piece off the bench) Gallo is probably the onle one of the bunch that would be a starter on a legit chip team due to good shooting, but that was all over the shop this year for him, and he tries on the defensive end. Mozgov.... who the fuck really knows, he put together an ok stretch before the trade, but i still don't see him as much more than a 10mpg backup at best.

I say "heck of a lot" because just in terms of pure numbers, it was a lot, and you're suffering with depth due to it.

It was still all worth it to get melo IMO.

I couldn't disagree more, that city is wades and so is that franchise. Has been for a long time, and will be for a long time. The on court stuff doens't count for a heck of a lot when LBJ's coming up short, and wade is visibly sacraficing his game to get LBJ integrated.
There's difference between saying someone is an allstar and that they have allstar potential. The only one out of all those guys that had a chance was felton and that was before the injuries slowed him down.

I don't think watch the knicks enough if you think Gallo is just a spot up shooter. He's one of the best slashing 3's in the league. He just happens to have a good outside shot. Gallo also plays good defense. Chandler is great midrange shooter with mediocre handles and his decent at creating his own shot.

KingGondo

Banned
Spooks said:
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. This Cavs team has more heart than the Heat do right now.
True, the Cavs didn't start crying until they lost their 25th game in a row.

The Heat's tears started flowing after their 4th.

commish said:
You guys are delusional if you think Wade is bigger than LBJ. If someone had to be moved on that team, I'd bet my life that Wade would be buying new luggage.

Im simply talking overall talent. No one is bigger than LBJ.

The Frankman said:
Are you smoking right now??
Lebron has way more range and better court vision than Wade. Wade has better footwork and a more refined post game. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say he has a better all-around game.
Wade and LeBron attack the basket and look for foul calls as their only method of scoring. LeBron is the better passer, rebounder, and defender by a mile.
You need to take position into account with the rebounding, though. Wade is an otherworldly rebounder this season at SG while Bron is merely great. But yeah, Bron is a better defender than Wade. And his assist numbers and court vision @ SG are mind boggling.

It would take a colossally bad record, but can you imagine if LeBron or Wade get dealt next year? Jesus Christ Almighty, remember they took less than the max on their deals. Whatever team got them would have to deal a ton of picks but yikes...

And how would that players' stock fall? Media would say Wade got ousted out of Miami, but if LeBron got dealt he's done. The media would Pontius Pilate him. Jordan would have a field day on him, not to mention what the city of Cleveland would do.

Spooks

charsace said:
Not the original guys from Lebroads team. (Anderson, MoWills, Booby, etc.)
Oh well then yeah I'll give you that. Though you could probably just keep Mo on that list and call it a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom