• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheAtomicPile said:
Oh my God, you will not let this go will you?

No, the exact definition of the word from Webster includes none of the additional stipulations you're adding about intent. If the meaning required intent, it would be written in the definition. The point of a definition is to explain the essential elements of a word's meaning. If it's not there, its not essential.

You're just bsing because you made a smart-ass comment and then realized, by way of my posting the definition, that you were wrong the whole time.

I understand the definition, as it is written, perfectly. Nobody needs your English lessons. Don't like it? Take up your beef with Webster.

Webster is correct. You are not. The problem is that Webster and other normal dictionaries often stop short of giving the entire context.

Let's refer to Oxford's English Dictionary, which is the authoritative source for the English Language.

"A condition of affairs or events of a character opposite to what was, or might naturally be, expected; a contradictory outcome of events as if in mockery of the promise and fitness of things."

Hence, Kobe going for a dunk, ball bouncing off the rim and into Miami's basket. That could be looked at as ironic because it's as if fate itself is mocking his intentions.

Kobe being less clutch than Miami is a mere coincidence. Truthfully, it's not even that, it's simply a significant probability playing itself out.

For the situation to be "other than expected," you'd have to assume the odds of it happening converge to zero. Does anyone actually believe that last night's ending with Kobe being less clutch is something ZOMG HOW COULD THAT HAPPEN type of thing.

Like I said, according to your interpretation, every upset in sports would be ironic. Does that make sense to you?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Grimm Fandango said:
Bulls philosophy: go up by 7 points then stick your thumb up your ass and let the opponents come back.

Korver's terrible 4 point play hurt a lot. Rose has to get aggressive. Hinrich has his number.

SephCast said:
Korver's terrible 4 point play hurt a lot. Rose has to get aggressive. Hinrich has his number.

Yeah Rose is having some great drives but he's also taking terrible 3 point shots and turnovers.

Atlanta's shooting % is growing fast. Bulls need to step up the D.

Rose needs to stop shooting the ball. Either drive to the basket or pass it.

SephCast said:
Bulls playing like shit. Hawks seem to be a bad matchup against them.

Indeed. Atlanta is a damn good team also. I'd be worried to play against them in the playoffs.

shibby

Oh shit, Utah has a sg that can shoot. And he's been on their bench buried behind Raja Bell the whole time. What a find!

Hayward cut the lead to 9 by eating Wes Johnson's soul. Wes Johnson is a bad basketball player, he reminds me of Raja Bell. Darko shutting down Al, that's a major issue.

exarkun

Gigglepoo said:
Rondo, Pierce, Garnet, and Rondo don't have any help!

That because the Rockets have every player that would be a great 6th man playing on their team! You guys may make the playoffs, but you have no bench! HAHAH eat shit playoff teams!

Black Mamba said:
Webster is correct. You are not. The problem is that Webster and other normal dictionaries often stop short of giving the entire context.

Let's refer to Oxford's English Dictionary, which is the authoritative source for the English Language.

"A condition of affairs or events of a character opposite to what was, or might naturally be, expected; a contradictory outcome of events as if in mockery of the promise and fitness of things."

Hence, Kobe going for a dunk, ball bouncing off the rim and into Miami's basket. That could be looked at as ironic because it's as if fate itself is mocking his intentions.

Kobe being less clutch than Miami is a mere coincidence. Truthfully, it's not even that, it's simply a significant probability playing itself out.

For the situation to be "other than expected," you'd have to assume the odds of it happening converge to zero. Does anyone actually believe that last night's ending with Kobe being less clutch is something ZOMG HOW COULD THAT HAPPEN type of thing.

Like I said, according to your interpretation, every upset in sports would be ironic. Does that make sense to you?

Even that definition makes no mention of the "intention" thing you're trying to spin.

The expectations that everyone placed on the game are what produced the irony. No one would have expected going into the game that not only would the Heat win, break the Lakers win streak, and break their own losing streak, but that Kobe would be the one to lose the game for the Lakers. Before last night, Lebron and Wade were the guys that sucked at closing out games. Kobe was the clutch king. The media almost decided the game before it took place.

In that case it appeared almost as if fate had been mocking the promise and finesse of things (Kobe and the sports media world). Some upsets are, indeed, just upsets. This became something more. I seriously cannot believe that you're not seeing this.

And I just want to apologize to everyone for shitting up the thread. All I wanted to do was make a little comment about a basketball game. I didn't know the word police were monitoring the thread. Is it always like this in NBA Gaf?

Retrocide

An ugly win by the Sixers but I'll take it. If only they could have held on against the Thunder the other night...but really the team even being competitive with the top teams makes me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom