• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
etiolate said:
Cousins might be the 2nd or 3rd best Center in the league by next year.

CALLING IT NOW.

He's easily the least efficient offensive player in the entire NBA and is a terrible defender. Sounds like a guy who will be better than Amar'e, Bogut, and many more.

Omiee

Kobe def had a bad game yesterday, im just glad he is healthy. But it was interesting to see our offense worked a little better without him in the game.

Gabyskra

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
43% FG shooting is absolutely shameful for a center.

Sure. But the guy is still averaging 20/11 on 45%, 4ast, 1.5 stls, 1.2 blks in the past 6 games... And he's 20 years old. I like his pairing with Jason Thompson. They have a bright future.

Jarlaxle

Even though we're going to get destroyed today, I really hope Nash sits this one out. He's been injured for awhile and hasn't looked right. Hopefully Brooks can step up for us. We're right on the doorstep of the playoffs.

KingGondo

Banned
Jarlaxle said:
Even though we're going to get destroyed today, I really hope Nash sits this one out. He's been injured for awhile and hasn't looked right. Hopefully Brooks can step up for us. We're right on the doorstep of the playoffs.
If only Phoenix was in the East. Hell, the Warriors would be in the playoffs if they were in the East.

I've been pretty disappointed with Favors' defense the last three games. He's really cooled off after the first five here in Utah and that's why the team has cooled off after the first five games when he got here. He really needs to react quicker to penetration and give more effort on PnR. He's shown to be excellent at times at both of those things (Especially PnR D which he can be absolutely amazing at) so he can do it. Doing those things would also drastically reduce his foul issues. I know I'm probably being overcritical especially since it's hard to give effort on defense where you're paired with Al Jefferson and when the team has no chance of making the playoffs for the next couple of years, but he is the franchise now so I get worried.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Omiee said:
GAF i need some help, i need to buy new shoes. What are some of the shoes you guys wear when playing.

Kobe VIs are a dream to play in. If you don't like the snakeskin pattern, Kobe Vs are awesome too, and are on sale on eastbay.com and, I believe, Nike.com

You also can never go wrong with the Hyperdunks.

Omiee

SephCast said:
Kobe VIs are a dream to play in. If you don't like the snakeskin pattern, Kobe Vs are awesome too, and are on sale on eastbay.com and, I believe, Nike.com

You also can never go wrong with the Hyperdunks.

yeah i was looking at the hyperdunks as well, might order them on nike.com with that nike id thing.

StayUp

Kobe VIs are great, got like 7 pairs now.

KNfdP.jpg

Recent pickups.

Derwind

Derozan...:(

edit: Raptors swiss cheese defense being exploited....why can't we boxout? Get defensive rebounds?? -_-

edit2: What the hell do they mean when they say "put the right English in the ball"?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Derwind said:
Derozan...:(

edit: Raptors swiss cheese defense being exploited....why can't we boxout? Get defensive rebounds?? -_-

edit2: What the hell do they mean when they say "put the right English in the ball"?

English just means spin.

SamuraiX-

Black Mamba said:
!?!?!?!? He's not even the best C on the team.

I've watched too many Clipper games this year and last to put Kaman in any "top list" except "top caveman looking players."

There are a bunch of Cs better than Cousins now. Does he have the talent to become top 5? Yes. He won't get there next year, though. And don't ever list Kaman before Bynum, Noah, Horford, Duncan, either Gasol, Gortat, Chandler. Kaman is empty stats; I've watched him put them up for years.

Yeah. I forgot about Bynum.

And it's hard to argue that guys like Noah and Chandler are better since they're all defense and no offense. Cousins at least tries on defense. He just needs to learn how to better use his length.

Duncan and Horford aren't centers and Gortat is good but if you put Cousins next to Nash I'm sure he'd be putting up better numbers than him.

Found a video on the triangle offense being shown through the Lakers championship series last year. I really don't understand why more organizations don't try and implement it. I understand it takes a very long time to learn and new coaches job security in the NBA isn't exactly strong but still. It's like the skyhook, its pretty much a impossible shot to defend and yet I don't know of any center today that truly has implemented it into his game.

Anyhow, here is the video.

Also, video on Kareem and the sky hook

Omiee

man i saw that fall of the bulls dynasty video, some interesting facts i dident know.
and jerry krause sounds like a idiot.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
LovingSteam said:
I really don't understand why more organizations don't try and implement it.
It doesn't work if you don't have the best player in the league.

Even Rambis finally dropped that shit. The Wolves offense turned into pick and roll/pick and pop post-all-star break. Shockingly, they're 4-7 since.

Rodeo Clown said:
It doesn't work if you don't have the best player in the league.

Even Rambis finally dropped that shit. The Wolves offense turned into pick and roll/pick and pop post-all-star break. Shockingly, they're 4-7 since.

Well yes, you have to have a top player, no doubt. But look at the teams in the last decade who did have a top player and the only one that implemented the triangle was the Lakers with Phil.

Omiee

LovingSteam said:
Well yes, you have to have a top player, no doubt. But look at the teams in the last decade who did have a top player and the only one that implemented the triangle was the Lakers with Phil.

the triangle offense is a sweet thing when its implemented well, but it takes time and patience to implement something like that.

LovingSteam said:
Found a video on the triangle offense being shown through the Lakers championship series last year. I really don't understand why more organizations don't try and implement it. I understand it takes a very long time to learn and new coaches job security in the NBA isn't exactly strong but still. It's like the skyhook, its pretty much a impossible shot to defend and yet I don't know of any center today that truly has implemented it into his game.

Anyhow, here is the video.

Also, video on Kareem and the sky hook
sky hook is gone because:
- coaches want players getting to the line more, so they encourage centres to make plays from triple threat. you aren't going to draw many fouls shooting sky hooks.
- for most centres, a jump hook is just as effective at close range and easier to learn
- it is a finesse move requiring a lot of skill... how many 6'10+ guys are coordinated? not many
- the hook shot itself is dying at all levels of play. again, because it won't get you to the foul line and because it isn't as sexy as fadeaways.

skyhook am gone foreva

asof rhte triangle offense... as long as the nba over-rewards slashing, the pick n' roll/pop is gonna be the preferred play 90% of the time. easy and effective.

Derwind

The hook shot is pretty difficult considering you're literally positioned so your body is nearly facing sideways to the basket and you release the ball high behind your head making sure no defender can block that.

Kareem found a glitch in the matrix. Kareem is Neo!!! :p

Honestly though, I think its just too much of a finesse move for centers nowadays to efficiently use it. Center's are just not what they used to be. :(

SamuraiX- said:
So can someone explain to me why Nolan Smith isn't considered to be a lottery pick?

Because he's not very good? His ceiling is a backup point guard. A good backup, but still a backup. Earl Watson is paid the league minimum and that might be Smith's best case scenario.

Magic and the Suns.

...will check after halftime.

Bynum said he tried to learn the skyhook, no dice. It turned into a jump hook.
He can do it with both hands, but that's as close as it gets.

RIP Skyhook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom