• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
SamuraiX- said:
Mark Jackson just said Blake Griffin is 6'8" "at best".

I always thought he was that height.

It's one of the reasons I thought he was completely overrated coming out of college as he wouldn't be big at all in the pro game.

He made up for it with his skill, instinct and athleticism, that asshole.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
He says a lot of stupid things but he picked Pippen and Horace Grant.

Also traded Oakley for Cartwright.

Yeah and he traded Elton Brand for Eddy Curry. No Doubt that he had success as GM early on but all his plans about improving the franchise after the dynasty sucked balls.

Benjamin1981 said:
Yeah and he traded Elton Brand for Eddy Curry. No Doubt that he had success as GM early on but all his plans about improving the franchise after dynasty sucked balls.

Elton Brand, as productive as he was, did absolutely nothing to help the team when it came down to wins.

You could argue that it wasn't his fault really but it was the case.

Gortat makes turnaround jumpers and then misses easy layups, sounds about right. Didn't even realize Wince hasn't played at all since the 1st quarter, guy has literally zero impact on his team's performance.

Omiee

Gigglepoo said:
Mark Jackson saying Dwight Howard is "An all-time great Center in the history of this league."

Preposterous

you dont think when his carreer is over he will be def top 10( centers ).

Gigglepoo

Omiee said:

Mark Jackson wasn't predicting where he will end up when his career ends.

And it's impossible for me judge "all time" because I started watching in the late '80s. Howard isn't as good as Hakeem, Shaq, or Robinson, and I'd rather have a healthy Yao or Ewing given the choice. So he might be the sixth best in my lifetime, assuming I didn't forget about someone great.

EDIT - Wait, when you say "def" do you mean "definitely" or "defensive"?

Because if it's the latter, that's a strange thing to bring up. Mark Jackson said top 10 all time right now, not just on the defensive end.

Omiee said:

When its all said and done? Defensively? Most definitely. Jackson didn't stipulate defense though. Here are the top centers in no particular order:

Wilt
Russell
Kareem
Hakeem
Ewing
Robinson
Shaq
Mikan
Moses Malone
Dwight Howard

Howard is ONLY in there for his defensive ability. He is definitely the worst of all 10 in terms of offense.

Omiee

LovingSteam said:
When its all said and done? Defensively? Most definitely. Jackson didn't stipulate defense though. Here are the top centers in no particular order:

Wilt
Russell
Kareem
Hakeem
Ewing
Robinson
Shaq
Mikan
Moses Malone
Dwight Howard

Howard is ONLY in there for his defensive ability. He is definitely the worst of all 10 in terms of offense.

but he is working on that and is still pretty young, the guy is a beast on defense.
if he could just hit his ft's he would be right up there in the scoring table.

Omiee said:
but he is working on that and is still pretty young, the guy is a beast on defense.
if he could just hit his ft's he would be right up there in the scoring table.

He is a beast on defense and is definitely improving offensively but he is still too young to categorize him as a top 10 center of all time.

Edit: I'd like to say that at this point he is still behind Zo and Bill Walton in terms of the top centers of all time. So Mark is arguing that Dwight is better than the 9 I listed earlier, Zo, and Bill Walton.

This NCAA bracketology stuff is weird if you think about it. I don't think the difference between a #1 and #5 seed really matters especially with no home court advantage. I think they need to get rid of at large bids.

End off-topic stuff.

Dwight's the best player in the NBA but he needs to have another five or six years or so at this level to be mentioned as an alltime great center alongside Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, and Moses.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
This NCAA bracketology stuff is weird if you think about it. I don't think the difference between a #1 and #5 seed really matters especially with no home court advantage. I think they need to get rid of at large bids.

End off-topic stuff.

Dwight's the best center in the NBA but he needs to have another five or six years or so at this level to be mentioned as an alltime great center alongside Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, and Moses.

Fixed. I hope you honestly don't think Dwight is the best player in the NBA.

Omiee

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

End off-topic stuff.

Dwight's the best player in the NBA but he needs to have another five or six years or so at this level to be mentioned as an alltime great center alongside Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, and Moses.

lets not carried away, no way is dwight the best player in the nba right now.

LovingSteam said:
Fixed. I hope you honestly don't think Dwight is the best player in the NBA.

He creates like 50 points of offense per game for his team while being the best defender and rebounder (Love's rebounds are off his shot getting blocked and not defending and only averages 1.5 more) and most efficient scorer in the league. Not going to get to far into this argument today though.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
He creates like 50 points of offense per game for his team while being the best defender and rebounder (Love's rebounds are off his shot getting blocked and not defending and only averages 1.5 more) and most efficient scorer in the league. Not going to get to far into this argument today though.

Sorry but with his offensive game as limited as it is give me Bron, Kobe, Rose over Dwight.

How is averaging 23 points a game, all created by himself against double teams because his team sucks really fucking bad, on 60% from the field limited? He'll average 30 if he gets traded to the Nets for Brook Lopez and cap relief.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
How is averaging 23 points a game, all created by himself against double teams because his team sucks really fucking bad, on 60% from the field limited? He'll average 30 if he gets traded to the Nets for Brook Lopez and cap relief.

He'll never average that, people will just foul him.

He needs to work on his foul shooting and offensive game a lot(he's improved slightly but I don't think he has the touch to be that great on offense).

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

He needs to work on his foul shooting and offensive game a lot(he's improved slightly but I don't think he has the touch to be that great on offense).

Exactly. 23ppg for his size and strength isn't anything to sneeze at, sorry.

Omiee

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

yeah no way he is going to do that, durant is not even doing that. Also the guy is a horrible ft's shooter and people tend to foul centers.
he is def top 5 right now in the league but not the best in the league

SamuraiX- said:
Mike Breen just reiterated what I said about why Kobe was shooting after the game against the Heat.

My man.

what did you say?

SamuraiX- said:
Yeah. I forgot about Bynum.

And it's hard to argue that guys like Noah and Chandler are better since they're all defense and no offense. Cousins at least tries on defense. He just needs to learn how to better use his length.

Duncan and Horford aren't centers and Gortat is good but if you put Cousins next to Nash I'm sure he'd be putting up better numbers than him.

That's selling them short. Chandler can hit FTs and is good at alley-oops. I know it's easy to think that's simple, but he makes some decent offensive reads to get those easy buckets. Not every player can do this, even defensive bigs.

Noah is way more talented than you give credit for. He's a very solid passing big man and Chicago can run their offense through him at the top of the key with the ball. Decent FT shooter as well, despite that horrible form. He takes 9 shots a game, and while some are dunks and tips, he takes some actual shots.

More to offense than shooting and posting up. How good does he screen, pass, turn it over, handle, etc. Those guys are currently well ahead of Cousins. he can catch up, but I don't see it next season. Chandler will be easier to pass due to his limited offensive skill, of course.

SamuraiX-

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

His foul shooting is never gonna get any better than 60%.

It never stopped Shaq from averaging over 20 PPG for his career.

This season Dwight is averaging the most FGA in his entire career so far, and at 13.5 per game, that's way too few.

In his first 11 seasons, Shaq was averaging 18-19 shots per game. Dwight's offensive game is more refined now and he needs to take more shots.

Averaging 23 PPG on 13.5 FGA is pretty crazy when you think about it.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

People said the same shit about shaq. I'm not saying Dwights ever going to get there, but people have been saying that shit for a long time, and people prove it wrong regularly.

I'd love to see dwight shoot closer to 70%, and i tihnk he needs to stop putting up shots at the gym with out a shooting coach (learning how to shoot badly, consistently, doesn't make you a better shooter), but he can get over 26ppg with out improving his FT %.

Also, remember that he works with a team where only 2 people can pass him the ball, and they play reserve minutes.

Also, sigh, nice game, Phoenix.

Black Mamba said:
That's selling them short. Chandler can hit FTs and is good at alley-oops. I know it's easy to think that's simple, but he makes some decent offensive reads to get those easy buckets. Not every player can do this, even defensive bigs.

Noah is way more talented than you give credit for. He's a very solid passing big man and Chicago can run their offense through him at the top of the key with the ball. Decent FT shooter as well, despite that horrible form. He takes 9 shots a game, and while some are dunks and tips, he takes some actual shots.

Before he got hurt, Noah was averaging 14 points a game.

That's not going to blow minds but that's hardly "no offense".

He gets put backs, gets great position for dunks and can take the ball to the basket decently.

He also can hit a midrange jumper but just coming back, he isn't comfortable with it yet.

giri said:
People said the same shit about shaq. I'm not saying Dwights ever going to get there, but people have been saying that shit for a long time, and people prove it wrong regularly.

I'd love to see dwight shoot closer to 70%, and i tihnk he needs to stop putting up shots at the gym with out a shooting coach (learning how to shoot badly, consistently, doesn't make you a better shooter), but he can get over 26ppg with out improving his FT %.

Also, remember that he works with a team where only 2 people can pass him the ball, and they play reserve minutes.

Also, sigh, nice game, Phoenix.

Hedouche can pass him the ball too.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Before he got hurt, Noah was averaging 14 points a game.

That's not going to blow minds but that's hardly "no offense".

He gets put backs, gets great position for dunks and can take the ball to the basket decently.

He also can hit a midrange jumper but just coming back, he isn't comfortable with it yet.

yup, all true. Noah's game has improved a lot since he came into the league. I didn't like him when he came in, partially because of what he did to UCLA (still mad), but he's proved me wrong.

SamuraiX-

Omiee said:
what did you say?
numble said:
What did Mike Breen say?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26418625&postcount=9268

Black Mamba said:

More to offense than shooting and posting up. How good does he screen, pass, turn it over, handle, etc. Those guys are currently well ahead of Cousins. he can catch up, but I don't see it next season. Chandler will be easier to pass due to his limited offensive skill, of course.

If you put guys like Noah and Chandler in DMC's situation, they would look like scrubs compared to how they're playing now. They feed off their team's success, coaching influence and the star caliber talent that surrounds them.

They'll always probably be ahead of Cousins in terms of defense just because of their freakish length.

And Cousins is a very underrated passer. He just needs to learn to pick and choose from the smart, high percentage passes and threading the needle passes.

SamuraiX- said:

If you put guys like Noah and Chandler in DMC's situation, they would look like scrubs compared to how they're playing now. They feed off their team's success, coaching influence and the star caliber talent that surrounds them.

They'll always probably be ahead of Cousins in terms of defense just because of their freakish length.

And Cousins is a very underrated passer. He just needs to learn to pick and choose from the smart, high percentage passes and threading the needle passes.

Cousins is quite a good passer for a big man. I still think he was the best player coming out of the draft. I just think he's very raw on offense and as you alluded to, stunted by the team he's on.

Noah would be good on Sacramento too. Like I said, I think you're really selling him short. Chandler would struggle because of the style of play and ballhogging of Evans this season (when available).

Will Cousins be polished offensively to make the same impact Noah and Chandler make on defense? In the case of Chandler, it's possible. But Noah has an actual offensive game, so I don't see it yet.

Noah is very underrated.

Omiee

SamuraiX- said:

its all about attitude with that guy, as soon as he becomes a team player and tones his im always mad attitude down he will become a great great player. I loved watching him play against the lakers, he was playing pretty well.

SamuraiX- said:

Chandler is putting together the second most offensively efficient season in NBA history. Just because a guy is good at pick-and-roll and offensive rebounding and doesn't score off of post-ups or dribble drive doesn't mean he's a bad basketball player or that guy putting together one of the least efficient seasons in NBA history (Cousins with his legendary 48% TS% combined with 28% USG and 17.5% TOV) is good at offense because he can create. Creation is a major and most underrated part of basketball at this point, but finishing is a major part of offense which Noah and especially Chandler are great at.

giri

Black Mamba said:
Cousins is quite a good passer for a big man. I still think he was the best player coming out of the draft. I just think he's very raw on offense and as you alluded to, stunted by the team he's on.

Noah would be good on Sacramento too. Like I said, I think you're really selling him short. Chandler would struggle because of the style of play and ballhogging of Evans this season (when available).

Will Cousins be polished offensively to make the same impact Noah and Chandler make on defense? In the case of Chandler, it's possible. But Noah has an actual offensive game, so I don't see it yet.

Noah is very underrated.
Chandler has a legit stake at being the best C in the west this season, i wouldn't trash him too much.

giri said:
Chandler has a legit stake at being the best C in the west this season, i wouldn't trash him too much.

Bynum is a better C. Last night was a good demonstration why. I know people around here like to shit on the kid, but when healthy he is top 5.

Chandler still makes offensive mistakes off the ball that by now he shouldn't make. Twice passes sailed out of bounds because he wasn't paying attention to what he should be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom