• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychi

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
"Rose has no weaknesses in his game."

What the heck? Okay, he's definitely an MVP candidate, but Dwight does more for his team than anyone else. Now that Yao's done, Dwight's the best C in the game. Dwight has weaknesses, but even with his clunky footwork, he manages to make offensive plays like hit bank shots and make ugly running hooks. And even with that offensive production, defense is still his best thing. Big man defense like his is something that will automatically transform a team.

If you're gonna bring up Dwight's offensive clunkiness, you also have to bring up the fact that Rose's biggest weakness is that he's afraid of contact. He's a little better about it this year, but he's still afraid of it.

Also, if you're going to expect dwight's offensive game to be like Shaq or Dream's in order for him to be considered MVP, you also gotta bring up the fact that Derrick Rose's passing is nowhere near Steve Nash's, Deron Williams, or Chris Paul, so therefore, he's still not a complete PG (even though his passing is much better than your typical score-first PG today).

And MVP has never been based on pure 'skill'. It's always about stats, whether it be individual or team.
So Amar'e should be MVP according to your arguements. He is an offensive beast, but he's a clunky defensive player who turned the Knicks around.

D-Rose has been playing hurt half the year(NO ONE nationally has talked about his bad knee) he's played with no boozer, and no noah, he hasn't had a healthy team all year, and they are tied for first in the east after going .500 last year.

Lebron is on Miami, who after 5 years of bitching, he finally has his "Pippen," who is actually BETTER OVERALL then LB(no)J. Yet, he is 2nd in MVP? C'mon man.

Dwight had a trade that was to benefit him, instead his team is worse then last year, and the man still has no offensive game. That's not an MVP to me.

Bring Nash up, fine. Dude was ridiculous his MVP years, he singlehandedly developed Amare.

The key thing you are apparently missing with Rose, is that he is one of the best defensive PGs in the NBA. He also carries his team offensively ala Magic or Isaiah. Throw some stats at me to argue against Drose as MVP. The man makes his team better, he has(after over 10 years of silence) MJ talking about the Bulls again. Michael F'n Jordan, the greatest of all time, is calling multiple titles for a team he refused to talked about until two weeks ago. There is something special about Rose, and unlike LBJ, the man back is game up. He doesn't back away from living in the shadow of the GOAT. He embraces it, his coach helped the C's get another ring, and his GM is determined to get him help all around. Barring injuries(knock on wood) D is set for multiple MVP seasons.

zychi said:
So Amar'e should be MVP according to your arguements. He is an offensive beast, but he's a clunky defensive player who turned the Knicks around.

D-Rose has been playing hurt half the year(NO ONE nationally has talked about his bad knee) he's played with no boozer, and no noah, he hasn't had a healthy team all year, and they are tied for first in the east after going .500 last year.

Lebron is on Miami, who after 5 years of bitching, he finally has his "Pippen," who is actually BETTER OVERALL then LB(no)J. Yet, he is 2nd in MVP? C'mon man.

Dwight had a trade that was to benefit him, instead his team is worse then last year, and the man still has no offensive game. That's not an MVP to me.

Bring Nash up, fine. Dude was ridiculous his MVP years, he singlehandedly developed Amare.

The key thing you are apparently missing with Rose, is that he is one of the best defensive PGs in the NBA. He also carries his team offensively ala Magic or Isaiah. Throw some stats at me to argue against Drose as MVP. The man makes his team better, he has(after over 10 years of silence) MJ talking about the Bulls again. Michael F'n Jordan, the greatest of all time, is calling multiple titles for a team he refused to talked about until two weeks ago. There is something special about Rose, and unlike LBJ, the man back is game up. He doesn't back away from living in the shadow of the GOAT. He embraces it, his coach helped the C's get another ring, and his GM is determined to get him help all around. Barring injuries(knock on wood) D is set for multiple MVP seasons.

:heatbench

Rose isn't the MVP. He'll win MVP thus further proving the award is a joke. Michael Jordan (who's displayed that he's a terrible judge of talent) talking about the Bulls means absolutely nothing. Rose's defense is below-average at best and shit at worst, he's one of the worst defensive players on the Bulls and their defense is the primary reason the team is so good this year. Rose's best asset is his offense and that's become massively overrated among the Bulls' ascension to 1st in the east. He does carry the team offensively, which would mean something if the Bulls were a good offensive team, which they are not (15th in the league). His boost in stats can be attributed to his increase in usage % which would explain why his scoring efficiency has in fact decreased since last season. His turnover % has also gone up. Rose is a good player and a Top 5 point guard in the league, but right now he's not even as good as Russell Westbrook on offense and that guy's a total moron.

Morn

Banned
viakado said:
kobe bryant playing at the honda center?

orange county is its own county. we're one of the richest, tax producing county in the US.
Less stabbings at games in Anaheim compared to Dodger, Lakers, and Kings games in LA.

zychi said:

You know what, okay, maybe there are people out there that actually think Rose is MVP. That's fine, that's cool. But you're a fucking psycho if you honestly believe this. Gilbert and Hedo are the reason why Dwight isn't MVP? For real? FOR REAL??????

masud said:
Shouldn't San Diego get a team before the LA area gets 3?
You can't just arbitrarily throw teams at big cities. SD is having a hard enough time getting a new stadium so that they can keep the Chargers. Anaheim has a ready made basketball arena. That is why it's an attractive location to the league and the Maloofs.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
zychi said:
D-Rose has been playing hurt half the year(NO ONE nationally has talked about his bad knee).

Really? I follow the Bulls religiously and I haven't heard any Chicago beat writers or bloggers talk about this. We all know he's had tendinitis in his knees since his rookie year, but I haven't heard of anything significantly worse this year.

SamuraiX-

Jeff Green said:
“I run the floor, he finds me,’’ Green said. “You seen some of the passes he made. It’s a beautiful thing when you’ve got a guard that can pass the ball like Rondo. I kind of credit myself as a guy who can get out in the open floor and run. When you’ve got a guard who can pass the way he can pass, it’s fun. I know he loves it when the guy converts it and I try and do my best to make sure it’s not a turnover and I try to give him an assist.’’

There's so much fucking LOL in this quote.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
SephCast said:
Really? I follow the Bulls religiously and I haven't heard any Chicago beat writers or bloggers talk about this. We all know he's had tendinitis in his knees since his rookie year, but I haven't heard of anything significantly worse this year.

Yea same here, i haven't seen or read anything about a knee injury.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Red Blaster said:
Rose is a good player and a Top 5 point guard in the league, but right now he's not even as good as Russell Westbrook on offense and that guy's a total moron.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up. I agree that this zychi guy is being a little extreme in his Rose love, but put Russ on the Bulls, and he'd have dramatically lower numbers. He does not face half the double and triple teams that Rose does.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Red Blaster said:
Rose is a good player and a Top 5 point guard in the league, but right now he's not even as good as Russell Westbrook on offense and that guy's a total moron.
Hahaha wtf is this shit? Lay off the fucking drugs, bro.

SamuraiX-

Everyone should check out the Larry Bird 50 greatest moments on NBA TV today if you haven't seen it before.

Every time I see it I'm still baffled at how unbelievably clutch this guy was.

And I don't think there's ever been a better shooter since.

KingGondo

Banned
Westbrook and Rose get compared a lot because they were drafted together, play the same position and are both super-athletic.

Their games really aren't that similar though. Rose can get his shot anywhere and is a better perimeter scorer, while Russ is pure speed and is developing a good pull-up jumper. Neither is exactly a rocket scientist.

Russ is a better rebounder, while Rose is further along in terms of distribution. When each is at their best, they're the best 2 young PGs in the game.

I don't really care who's "better," I'm happy to have Russell. Rose is great too, though.

SephCast said:
Whoa whoa whoa, hold up. I agree that this zychi guy is being a little extreme in his Rose love, but put Russ on the Bulls, and he'd have dramatically lower numbers. He does not face half the double and triple teams that Rose does.

Rose is better overall because he has a brain. Westbrook still gets to the line more often, shoots a higher FG% and takes less threes. I should perhaps revise the statement and say Rose and Westbrook are in the same ballpark offensively.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Red Blaster said:
Rose is better overall because he has a brain. Westbrook still gets to the line more often, shoots a higher FG% and takes less threes. I should perhaps revise the statement and say Rose and Westbrook are in the same ballpark offensively.

Those threes raise Rose's EFG% to .479 vs. Russ' .455. Rose's FTA are at 6.3 vs. Russ' 6.5, so that's a wash nowadays. Once again, put Westbrook on the Bulls, and he doesn't have close to Rose's numbers. Thus, they may be statistically in the same ballpark, but effectively due to increased double teams, that just isn't the case. Rose is putting up the same/better numbers with way more pressure.

KingGondo

Banned
Ken Berger said:
“Perkins’ partner in crime is no longer Garnett, but Serge Ibaka, who has been able to slide back to his natural power forward position with Perkins’ arrival. Ibaka had 12 rebounds, three blocks, two steals, and one earful from Perkins on Wednesday night. He better get used to it. On the play in question, there was a miscommunication between Perkins and Ibaka, and Erick Dampier got free for a layup under the basket. Perkins blasted him, using one of his six fouls and getting into it with Ibaka afterward. “We have a rule: no layups,” Perkins said. “So I had to take one for the team.”
It might just be infatuation... but...

I think I might be in love. *swoon*

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14820655/perkins-makes-oklahoma-city-a-credible-threat-in-no-time

Gabyskra said:
No he made that argument, everyone made fun of him (as usual) and he keeps coming back to it as soon as Melo's team loses a game.

Just admit that he's a cancerous, no defense chucker who isn't even in the same league as other cancerous, no defense chuckers already.

Jeff-DSA

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Just admit that he's a cancerous, no defense chucker who isn't even in the same league as other cancerous, no defense chuckers already.

George Karl is doing much better now that the cancer is gone.

KingGondo

Banned
SephCast said:
Bulls/Thunder future. I love this game.
15 games left, I think 9-6 is the absolute worst case for us.. If we win 10, we're at 54 wins.

If we get rolling, I could even see 13-3 or better. Lots of very winnable games, and I think last night gave this team a ton of confidence.

Jeff-DSA

I bet you Karl was contemplating retirement or at least going to another team. He never seemed to like Anthony much. I can't blame him.

KingGondo

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I bet you Karl was contemplating retirement or at least going to another team. He never seemed to like Anthony much. I can't blame him.
The Nuggets are a great story, and it's amazing that Ujiri went from being a "complete moron" to potential GM of the year in such a short span.

Played Dolan (and Isiah) like a fiddle.

Barrage said:
Maybe the funniest thing i've read on GAF.
Come on, Rose would've killed the SAT, he just didn't want to ruin his street cred by acing it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Talking about bad free throws. I remember the CHI/MIA 1st round series in 07, when Mia tried to pull the hack-a-Ben Wallace, and he actually made practically all of them to sweep Miami. Every time he went up, it was like a heart attack.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
KingGondo said:
15 games left, I think 9-6 is the absolute worst case for us.. If we win 10, we're at 54 wins.

If we get rolling, I could even see 13-3 or better. Lots of very winnable games, and I think last night gave this team a ton of confidence.

Bulls worst case is also 6 losses in the last 16. My official prediction is 12-4. 60 wins.

feels-good-man.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
cuevas said:
or by taking it.
Exactly. Learning non-basketball stuff is for bitches.

Besides, we know he's smart because of his "Poohdini" wizard tattoo. What intelligent person wouldn't want that on their body for life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom