• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Off-topic, but the last 35 pages of Ender's Game is so beautiful and amazing no matter how many times I read it. Absolutely incredible writing and emotional connection. Hopefully Speaker of the Dead isn't too bad (Reading that for the first time tomorrow).

One of my favorite books of all time hands down. I have read Ender's Game and Shadow so many times. My favorite reveal is
when you find out how many people have actually died or almost died at Enders hand through-out his life
and of course the whole ending is so tragically amazing.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
masud said:
Mvp has always been a skill based award. Sure Dwight is big and fast but he's just not that good at basketball...
Lol, there are like twenty definitions of what an NBA MVP is.

I mean, Shaq won it in 2000, and he wasn't the best basketball player on the court, but what does that really mean, anyway?

The Stealth Fox

"Rose has no weaknesses in his game."

What the heck? Okay, he's definitely an MVP candidate, but Dwight does more for his team than anyone else. Now that Yao's done, Dwight's the best C in the game. Dwight has weaknesses, but even with his clunky footwork, he manages to make offensive plays like hit bank shots and make ugly running hooks. And even with that offensive production, defense is still his best thing. Big man defense like his is something that will automatically transform a team.

If you're gonna bring up Dwight's offensive clunkiness, you also have to bring up the fact that Rose's biggest weakness is that he's afraid of contact. He's a little better about it this year, but he's still afraid of it.

Also, if you're going to expect dwight's offensive game to be like Shaq or Dream's in order for him to be considered MVP, you also gotta bring up the fact that Derrick Rose's passing is nowhere near Steve Nash's, Deron Williams, or Chris Paul, so therefore, he's still not a complete PG (even though his passing is much better than your typical score-first PG today).

And MVP has never been based on pure 'skill'. It's always about stats, whether it be individual or team.

Rose avoids contact is a negative???

Well, it's smart for many reasons actually:

Better chance to make a shot, preserve your body, etc...

He now initiates contact a lot and still has a hard time getting fouls called so why should he do that all the time????

The Stealth Fox

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Rose avoids contact is a negative???

Well, it's smart for many reasons actually:

Better chance to make a shot, preserve your body, etc...

He now initiates contact a lot and still has a hard time getting fouls called so why should he do that all the time????

Bosh is MVP. He's just trying to preserve his body!

The Stealth Fox said:
"Rose has no weaknesses in his game."

What the heck? Okay, he's definitely an MVP candidate, but Dwight does more for his team than anyone else. Now that Yao's done, Dwight's the best C in the game. Dwight has weaknesses, but even with his clunky footwork, he manages to make offensive plays like hit bank shots and make ugly running hooks. And even with that offensive production, defense is still his best thing. Big man defense like his is something that will automatically transform a team.

If you're gonna bring up Dwight's offensive clunkiness, you also have to bring up the fact that Rose's biggest weakness is that he's afraid of contact. He's a little better about it this year, but he's still afraid of it.

Also, if you're going to expect dwight's offensive game to be like Shaq or Dream's in order for him to be considered MVP, you also gotta bring up the fact that Derrick Rose's passing is nowhere near Steve Nash's, Deron Williams, or Chris Paul, so therefore, he's still not a complete PG (even though his passing is much better than your typical score-first PG today).

And MVP has never been based on pure 'skill'. It's always about stats, whether it be individual or team.

He is way more aggressive now and does a much better job attacking the hoop. Unlike Wade he picks his spots really well so he doesn't fall over every time he makes a play.

The Stealth Fox said:

Other plays have better stats than Rose and many other teams have better offensive team stats.

If he is what it seems like... "the frontrunner", I don't see how what you said holds total weight.

The Stealth Fox

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Other plays have better stats than Rose and many other teams have better offensive team stats.

If he is what it seems like... "the frontrunner", I don't see how what you said holds total weight.

It's not that difficult to understand. MVP for the last few years has been "Best player on the best team." Best player statistically on the best team statistically (record).

Rose is probably going to win on that alone.

The Stealth Fox said:
Simple, MVP for the last few years has been "Best player on the best team." Best player statistically on the best team statistically (record).

Rose is probably going to win on that alone.

He should win on coming up big in the biggest moments(and against the best teams) more than anything else.

He sometimes doesn't have the greatest first half but usually dominates when the game is in the balance.

I think if more people saw the Bulls every game, they'd be less harsh on him.

Of course I haven't seen every game of the other candidates but unlike them, I have never seen Rose lose a game for the Bulls.

I don't care for me as a fan if he gets the award but for him, I do somewhat.

My two MVPs from what I have seen are Rose and Dirk(and I still am not crazy about his game).

Then there are all the others that have been mentioned.

SephCast said:
Thanks bro, this guy was my favorite player back then.

612067-john_starks_large.jpg

LOL Serious?

Rose is going to win because most voters are stupid and try to connect things in the simplest way without actually looking at the whole picture.

SamuraiX-

What a lame fucking bunch of games being played tomorrow for St. Patty's Day.

Guess everyone is gonna be too fucked up to even notice anyway.

Red Blaster said:
Rose is going to win because most people are stupid and try to connect things in the simplest way without actually looking at the whole picture.

Doc Rivers, Michael Jordan, Chris Bosh(oh wait, take him out!!!!!) and many others must be stupid then!!!!!

SamuraiX- said:

Tomorrow everyone's bracket gonna get busted..That why horrible games

SamuraiX- said:

Too bad I won't get to see Bill Wennington with his ridiculous St Patricks Day hat on as the Bulls are on the road.

That was so stupid, it was awesome.

SephCast said:
Please read the whole exchange before this. Of course you know I'm a diehard Knicks fan right?

ok I will. I skipped the comments and just saw the starks photo.

How would you compare Knicks now to the Ewing era Knicks..

Edit: I saw the posts..LOL

Red Blaster said:
The man who ruined T-Mac and got into a fistfight with Horace Grant is arguably the best coach in the game?

I think so plus I gave some names(left several out) of players and coaches that think Rose is the MVP.

The only one you could probably give is Stan Van Dumby.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
They should have a top 10 of "shittiest freethrow forms of all time".

Cartwright has to be top 3.

I'd put Marion on there as well.

I can't even find a video of Mason's!

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I think so plus I gave some names(left several out) of players and coaches that think Rose is the MVP.

The only one you could probably give is Stan Van Dumby.

And like I said before being good at basketball or coaching basketball doesn't make you smart. Michael Jordan is goddamn terrible at everything aside from basketball. GMing, baseball, fashion, facial hair, etc. I guess we can add picking MVPs too.

sf2fanatic said:
1. Mason
2. Shaq
3. Rodman

I LOL @ Rodman's attempts

Rodman actually could make freehtrows when he gave a shit.

Many(ok, maybe too strong a word) a time in the Bulls' championship run that time, he hit clutch freehtrows and everyone cheered in surprise.

He still wasn't a good freethrow shooter by any means though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom