• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stealth Fox

KingGondo said:
Exactly. Learning non-basketball stuff is for bitches.

Besides, we know he's smart because of his "Poohdini" wizard tattoo. What intelligent person wouldn't want that on their body for life?

It's quite obvious these teams pay these players to do math, therefore Westbrook is the better player.

Westbrook is garbage. He's going to ruin the Thunder in the playoffs.

TylerD

KingGondo said:

Oh, it's love. The Thunder seem to be a completely different beast now and it isn't just from Perk's play on the court. It sounds like he is turning into a leader in the locker room carrying on what he learned from KG at Boston. I would imagine that he is pretty fond of his circumstances playing with this young, hungry, and talented Thunder team.

5-1 with a loss to Portland or 6-0 in this home stretch or I will be disappointed.

Melo said he was surprised they didn't make any adjustments on Hansborough from the first game to the second, and that guys are often lost on D. What a shock, NY's (D'Antoni's) defensive schemes suck.

KingGondo

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
Westbrook is garbage. He's going to ruin the Thunder in the playoffs.
How many Thunder games have you watched this season? He's had some bad games, mostly good-to-great games, and some downright stellar games (just like Rose). He completely carried us through the early part of the season when we weren't really playing that well as a team.

Part of the problem with the Westbrook/Rose comparison is that everyone expected Rose to become a superstar, so they focus on his good performances. Nobody expected Westbrook to be remotely as good as he is, so they pounce on every negative thing he does as if that's confirmation he's actually not any good. He makes some bone-headed plays, but he's still learning and improving, just like Rose. Most teams in the league would kill to have him as their PG of the future.

TylerD said:
Oh, it's love. The Thunder seem to be a completely different beast now and it isn't just from Perk's play on the court. It sounds like he is turning into a leader in the locker room carrying on what he learned from KG at Boston. I would imagine that he is pretty fond of his circumstances playing with this young, hungry, and talented Thunder team.

5-1 or 6-0 in this home stretch or I will be disappointed.
Agreed. Only one that's iffy is against Portland, but I still think we should win against them at home.

We actually have an outside shot of snagging the 3 seed if we go on an insane run to end the season. Then again, I might actually be happier with the 4. I'd rather play the Spurs in the second round than the Lakers.

Barrage said:
Maybe the funniest thing i've read on GAF.

He obviously meant while playing basketball.

Pau Gasol is likely the smartest player outside the court in the game and he's absolutely horrible at basketball.

(doesn't keep straight face)

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Melo said he was surprised they didn't make any adjustments on Hansborough from the first game to the second, and that guys are often lost on D. What a shock, NY's (D'Antoni's) defensive schemes suck.

firedantoni.com

For real, yo.

Like I said in this thread, any random bouts of defensive competence from the Knicks were false like subprime mortgages :(

captmcblack said:
firedantoni.com

For real, yo.

Like I said in this thread, any random bouts of defensive competence from the Knicks were false like subprime mortgages :(
Would help if he didn't bench the few guys who can play a bit of D but suck on O.

Gabyskra said:
It would help if they didn't fire Corey Brewer for no reason whatsoever...
Oh no I actually was ok with because I thought they'd sign Earl Barron (legit 7-footer with ok D and shotblocking). They signed Jeffries and Brown... now Brown looks like an explosive player who can play D but he gets no burn.

Knicks have enough defenders to be passable on D and bring energy (Balkman/Carter/Williams), but the coach refuses to make defensive adjustments. Imagine if Knicks had JVG back to be defensive coordinator.

Sanjuro

I want to smack Jalen in the goddam head. Fucking moron didn't use the term correctly then, now aged still isn't using it correctly, and by his own definition IS a Uncle Tom himself.

ITS IN THE DICTONARY

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I want to smack Jalen in the goddam head. Fucking moron didn't use the term correctly then, now aged still isn't using it correctly, and by his own definition IS a Uncle Tom himself.

ITS IN THE DICTONARY

Jalen Rose can't read, you racist.

CJ Miles' PER increased by a half point after his 40 point game. PER increasing so much in a single game this late in a season almost never happens. Beasley and Wesley Johnson should quit basketball.

numble said:
For LA, that's not describing the fans, that's describing the celebrities. Okay, LA has more than in any other city, but to say, "Haha, LA fans suck because they pay so much for seats and everything" is stupid.

Meh GQ is pretty shitty now had Esquire done the list maybe I would have paid attention.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

ITS IN THE DICTONARY

In Rose's defense, I believe he was saying that when he was 17/18 that's how he viewed black players going to Duke.

These last few games are going to be interesting for western payoff teams. I loved when the seeds weren't decided until the last few games of the year. That was amazing.

SUPREME1

Banned
MorisUkunRasik said:
Go get drunk, the Inside The NBA crew sure as hell will be.

They closed off the street in front of Casey's Irish Pub in downtown (Grand between 6th and Wilshire). Cash only event.

GOOO!!!!

giri

KingGondo said:
Westbrook and Rose get compared a lot because they were drafted together, play the same position and are both super-athletic.

Their games really aren't that similar though. Rose can get his shot anywhere and is a better perimeter scorer, while Russ is pure speed and is developing a good pull-up jumper. Neither is exactly a rocket scientist.

Russ is a better rebounder, while Rose is further along in terms of distribution. When each is at their best, they're the best 2 young PGs in the game.

I don't really care who's "better," I'm happy to have Russell. Rose is great too, though.

Every time dumbrook takes a pull up jumper it's a wasted possesion. There should be a blanket ban on him shooting further than 5 feet out. Did he make ONE pull up jumper yesterday? i don't remember seeing one.

Gabyskra said:
No he made that argument, everyone made fun of him (as usual) and he keeps coming back to it as soon as Melo's team loses a game.
Triple U said:
and you fucks said i was crazy lol

Next i'll hear Korver is a defensive stalwart, and Andrew Bynum is a top 3 centre in the league. You're crazy and massively wrong.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

A lot of defense (particularly when you hear "people are lost" ) comes from the bigs, communicating with everyone. Look at perkins. Amare` just isn't that person, and i don't think anyone playing along side amare is vocal enough about it either.

Triple U

Banned
giri said:
Next i'll hear Korver is a defensive stalwart, and Andrew Bynum is a top 3 centre in the league. You're crazy and massively wrong.
Ok ok just for the lulz give me a list of 30 players better than melo.

giri said:
Every time dumbrook takes a pull up jumper it's a wasted possesion. There should be a blanket ban on him shooting further than 5 feet out. Did he make ONE pull up jumper yesterday? i don't remember seeing one.
He made that clutch 3 late in the game.

MidnightCowboy said:
He made that clutch 3 late in the game.

Rare but big shot.

People on here said it was a stupid shot, I disagree.

His team was up and he was open and when you have a chance to "end" the game, you go for it.

If he missed it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

charsace

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Either he will be gone or they will hire someone to handle the defense. I've been saying it for while.

Everyone that has gone to denver plays better defense.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Rare but big shot.

His team was up and he was open and when you have a chance to "end" the game, you go for it.

Poo, why you always start a new paragraph at the end of each sentence? Paragraphs, bro!

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Rare but big shot.

That shot didn't end the game, Harden's did after the Wade fast break fail.

It was a stupid shot because it was off the dribble, low percentage, early in the clock, and those type of missed shots lead to run-outs (his bigs weren't expecting it).

It looks great because it went in. if not, it was a total waste of a possession.

Lebron did the same thing before and it was stupid then, too.

SUPREME1

Banned
giri said:

Woah woah woah... hold up.

Centre?

Arizona xenophobes am disappoint. Your opinion is invalid.

Jokes aside, do you consider Bynum a Top 5 center?

If not, post your list leading up to Bynum's spot.

SephCast said:
Poo, why you always start a new paragraph at the end of each sentence? Paragraphs, bro!

I just do that now online as a habit.

Some people were miffed that I sometimes put too many sentences together so now I do the opposite.

I don't "write" like that in real life.

I did it again.

See???

Black Mamba said:
Lebron did the same thing before and it was stupid then, too.

LeBron does it all the time though.

I'm not sure Westbrook does so he gets a pass.

He made the shot and Westbrook isn't that great a shooter so ill-advised or not, I give him credit.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
LeBron does it all the time though.

I'm not sure Westbrook does so he gets a pass.

He made the shot and Westbrook isn't that great a shooter so ill-advised or not, I give him credit.

So if you do the wrong thing less often, it makes the wrong thing less wrong? um.

He deserves credit for making it. Still the wrong decision but was lucky.

it was a "no no YES" shot. It's not something that could have killed his team, but in general was the wrong decision at the time.

charsace

KingGondo said:
The Nuggets are a great story, and it's amazing that Ujiri went from being a "complete moron" to potential GM of the year in such a short span.

Played Dolan (and Isiah) like a fiddle.

Come on, Rose would've killed the SAT, he just didn't want to ruin his street cred by acing it.
Yes, he did. I really do think Donnie will leave at the end of the season. All the planning he does was blown by Dolan.

ImperialConquest said:

Centre?

IIRC, he considers Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert better. Probably throws Samuel Dalembert in there as well.

giri

Triple U said:
Ok ok just for the lulz give me a list of 30 players better than melo.
Wait wait wait, are you saying he is, or isnt in the top 30 players in the NBA today?

I'd say Melo is amongst the 5 best, and the best SF.

ImperialConquest said:

Centre?

Probably not. Bynums on a hot streak at the moment, and i've never said the guy isn't talented. But he's so mentally soft (or just don't give a fuck) that he'll never utilise it fully. Throw in injuries.... Even the lakers will be looking to get rid of him soon. I don't think he'll last there as long as Kobe does.

5 better? Dwight, bogut chandler noah i would all take ahead of him any day, then there's a group where its entirely debatable about ranking, horford, hibbert, b.lopez, bynum, nene monroe, camby, m.gasol. On any given day those guys can be the best C in the game, or not even be noticeable on the court.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Rare but big shot.

Just because he hit it, doesn't make it a good shoot. Particularly early in the clock, your PG shouldn't be throwing up 3's unless he's steve nash (or healed-wrist deron). Particularly in a close game. I didn't watch to the end of that game, so don't know the context, but in the first quarter alone he shot 2 or 4 pull up jumpers and they all clanged off the rim, horribly. It's not his game.

charsace

I would take Hibbert over Bynum and Lopez just for the defense and passing. Lopez over Bynum because he is more skilled. Both guys also don't have terrible knees.

giri

Black Mamba said:
IIRC, he considers Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert better. Probably throws Samuel Dalembert in there as well.
If you asked me to start a team today, i'm not taking bynum. I'm taking (out of that second group in my post above) Hibbert, B.Lopez, maybe monroe. All just as talented, but younger and less injuries, and that counts for a hell of a lot.

giri said:
Probably not. Bynums on a hot streak at the moment, and i've never said the guy isn't talented. But he's so mentally soft (or just don't give a fuck) that he'll never utilise it fully. Throw in injuries.... Even the lakers will be looking to get rid of him soon. I don't think he'll last there as long as Kobe does.

1. Mentally soft based on what?

2. hot streak, somewhat. Only his rebounding has seen an uptick. His numbers over the past 4 seasons are very consistent.

Lakers are not trying to get rid of him. He's the basis for the future.

5 better? Dwight, bogut chandler noah i would all take ahead of him any day, then there's a group where its entirely debatable about ranking, horford, hibbert, b.lopez, bynum, nene monroe, camby, m.gasol. On any given day those guys can be the best C in the game, or not even be noticeable on the court.

I swear, I think you just hate Bynum. That list is absurd.

I would take Hibbert over Bynum and Lopez just for the defense and passing. Lopez over Bynum because he is more skilled. Both guys also don't have terrible knees.

Hibbert's offense is one of the worst in the NBA for a starting C. And I'm not sure where this defense comes from. Indiana is one of the worst defensive teams in the league and if you're a good defensive C, generally that can't happen. Look at what Dwight does for Orlando. Hibbert's defensive footwork doesn't look at that good to me.

Lopez plays no defense and isn't anything special on offense, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom