• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Goddamn, this sucks about the Kings moving.

So much history will be erased. Game 5 in 2000, the sweep in 01, Game 7, and the time in 2003 when Webber guaranteed he'd be back from his knee injury in time for the Finals. All for another So-Cal team.

The Stealth Fox

Everyone outside of Lakers-Age thinks that Bynum is not that good. I think it's time for you to accept that.

I'd take Nene over Bynum in a split second.

The Stealth Fox said:
Everyone outside of Lakers-Age thinks that Bynum is not that good. I think it's time for you to accept that.

I was so in favor in trading for Melo..Bynum prob gonna play for 4-5 more years..Its a shame

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Pre-game interview with Carmelo "there's no crying, no disappointment, we know what we have to do. We have to improve our defensive game"

LMAO. What a burn from Melo.

Damn, nice shot by Deron, but that will definitely get reviewed and canceled.

Goddamn, this sucks about the Kings moving.

So much history will be erased. Game 5 in 2000, the sweep in 01, Game 7, and the time in 2003 when Webber guaranteed he'd be back from his knee injury in time for the Finals. All for another So-Cal team.

Did you read that article earlier, the little snippet about Duke fans? Yeah...

The Stealth Fox said:
They have to trade him while he's performing well, or they won't get much for him.

he can play alittle

The last true Center Lakers had before Shaq was Kareem. Vlade played C because Campbell didnt know what he was doing out there..LOL

The Stealth Fox said:

Well, that's an awesome argument ad populum fallacy.

Didn't everyone laugh at Reilo's playoff generator showing Boston making the NBA Finals last year? No way they could do it, they were done!

That said, I have no problem with someone taking Nene over Bynum. Nene is quite underrated. But when people start talking about Hibbert, I have to question whether Laker hate is driving it.

giri

Black Mamba said:
1. Mentally soft based on what?

2. hot streak, somewhat. Only his rebounding has seen an uptick. His numbers over the past 4 seasons are very consistent.

Lakers are not trying to get rid of him. He's the basis for the future.

I swear, I think you just hate Bynum. That list is absurd.

Hibbert's offense is one of the worst in the NBA for a starting C. And I'm not sure where this defense comes from. Indiana is one of the worst defensive teams in the league and if you're a good defensive C, generally that can't happen. Look at what Dwight does for Orlando. Hibbert's defensive footwork doesn't look at that good to me.

Lopez plays no defense and isn't anything special on offense, either.

Mentally soft based on his 4 years in the league of pouting, healing on company time, whining about touches on a CHIP team, and commiting stupid fouls in big games regularly. Guy is SOFT. And don't even try and argue he isn't, god you're absurd.

Lopez is a much better offensive player, and last year, just as good on D. This year, he's regressed back into the middle of the pack by playing no D. I don't disagree, he's playing extremely mediocre.

That list i spot on. The fact you can't argue out of it, makes it real. His numbers over the last 4 seasons, they add up to what, 2 seasons worth of games? And good lord, you're the only laker fan that thinks he's the corner stone of the future.

The Stealth Fox said:

I think even most of lakers-age thinks he's average, over all. He's got the talent, but rarely puts it all together. He's huge for them in this current build, because of his height and latent talent, and the lakers love to play big with this team.

Sanjuro

Black Mamba said:
In Rose's defense, I believe he was saying that when he was 17/18 that's how he viewed black players going to Duke.
He did, but he is sticking by that comment currently as well. That is what the problem is. He went to a private school for a year, therefore HE was scouted by Duke and the part of the same "fab five" who all thought they were going to the Cosby Show. CLIFF HUXTABLE WAS THE ULTIMATE UNCLE FUCKING TOM!!!

The whole statement in modern day is stupid. Basically all it does is call out how fucking moronic black people can be leave the rest of them who have accomplished anything shaking their heads.

KingGondo

Banned
I like the NCAA Tournament, but having Chuck and Kenny around to comment between games makes it 10x better.

Also, I just found out Jimmer's older brother is an "aspiring rap artist."

*teehee*

giri said:
Mentally soft based on his 4 years in the league of pouting, healing on company time, whining about touches on a CHIP team, and commiting stupid fouls in big games regularly. Guy is SOFT. And don't even try and argue he isn't, god you're absurd.

Healing on company time? If you're referring to this season, his own doc changed schedules on him. He also played the entire playoffs hurt because they needed him. How is that soft?

The whining about touches is a bit overblown, but I don't get how that makes him soft. What does "I want more touches"relate to being soft? And Pau did the same thing, too.

Dwight committs bad fouls in big games, too. Is he soft? Do you know to what "soft" relates?

Lopez is a much better offensive player, and last year, just as good on D. This year, he's regressed back into the middle of the pack by playing no D. I don't disagree, he's playing extremely mediocre.

he has never been middle of the pack on D. he's always been bottom. He's a defensive sieve. Evertime I watch him he sucks on D. In fact, his team is 3 points better when he's on the bench this season on defense. Last season it was FIVE. In fact, the Nets were better overall when he sat on the bench last year.

As for offense, he's below average efficiency. I'll give him somewhat of a pass because he has a poor team around him and he's forced to do too much. And he is definitely skilled at that end. But his defense kills everything he does. He's one of the 5, if not 3, worst starting defensive centers in the league.

That list i spot on. The fact you can't argue out of it, makes it real. His numbers over the last 4 seasons, they add up to what, 2 seasons worth of games? And good lord, you're the only laker fan that thinks he's the corner stone of the future.

I can argue it, easily. Hibbert is another player whose team is worse on defense when he's out on the floor. His footwork sucks. His offense is TERRIBLE for a center. Way below average on offense.

I've already argued against Chandler directly with you (i believe). Then I went and posted head to head stats for Bynum when you kept mentioning he sucks at defense and you went completely silent. You've never addressed those, so I'd probably waste my time addressing the others, but I can.

Then again, I should realize a Suns fan talking about defense is like Kahn talking about Darko.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

I believe the Hollinger defensive metrics hasn't updated in a while.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/IND/2011.html 105.8.

Hibbert's is 107.3, so he's been hurting the team average.

edit: though it should be noted they're not below average (so I stand corrected here). Average seems high this season, there are some really bad defensive teams.

Black Mamba said:
So if you do the wrong thing less often, it makes the wrong thing less wrong? um.

He deserves credit for making it. Still the wrong decision but was lucky.

it was a "no no YES" shot. It's not something that could have killed his team, but in general was the wrong decision at the time.

They were playing such good defense, I am sure the coach and other players would live with it.

It's a long game, sometimes players go on instinct instead of set plays.

KingGondo

Banned
Mothman91 said:
What seed and record was CHI last year? It feels like their fate has completely changed since then.
They were the 8 seed and played Cleveland in the first round. Barely made the playoffs after the Raps flamed out when Bosh broke his face.

Definitely an impressive turnaround, but they added lots of pieces, especially to the bench.

giri

Black Mamba said:
Healing on company time? If you're referring to this season, his own doc changed schedules on him. He also played the entire playoffs hurt because they needed him. How is that soft?

The whining about touches is a bit overblown, but I don't get how that makes him soft. What does "I want more touches"relate to being soft? And Pau did the same thing, too.

Dwight committs bad fouls in big games, too. Is he soft? Do you know to what "soft" relates?

he has never been middle of the pack on D. he's always been bottom. He's a defensive sieve. Evertime I watch him he sucks on D. In fact, his team is 3 points better when he's on the bench this season on defense. Last season it was FIVE. In fact, the Nets were better overall when he sat on the bench last year.

As for offense, he's below average efficiency. I'll give him somewhat of a pass because he has a poor team around him and he's forced to do too much. And he is definitely skilled at that end. But his defense kills everything he does. He's one of the 5, if not 3, worst starting defensive centers in the league.

I can argue it, easily. Hibbert is another player whose team is worse on defense when he's out on the floor. His footwork sucks. His offense is TERRIBLE for a center. Way below average on offense.

I've already argued against Chandler directly with you (i believe). Then I went and posted head to head stats for Bynum when you kept mentioning he sucks at defense and you went completely silent. You've never addressed those, so I'd probably waste my time addressing the others, but I can.

Then again, I should realize a Suns fan talking about defense is like Kahn talking about Darko.

Lakers want to bring bynum off the bench, he pouts and plays shit getting nancy over not starting. Lakers want to play through pau because he's smarter and better passer, drew whines and pouts about not getting touches so doesn't play on the other end. On a defending champion team struggling at the time, he makes a fantastic comment "Why do i force the shot when i'm double teamed? i don't see the ball much between kobe and pau, so when i get it, i'm taking a shot". Bynum specifically re-scheduled his surgery for later so he could go to the soccer world cup or what ever it was, it was his decision. The list goes on. Do you know what sof mentally means? Lack of competetive drive, lack of wanting to play as part of the team, lack of wanting to rehab 100% and become stronger and better, not giving up on one end because you haven't got it going on the other. Yeah, that all SCREAMS future corner stone. Where do i sign up, and where are the car flags kept?

Arguing the defense of one person, by a team metric, is extremely flawed. Guess what, most second units ARE better defenders than the starters. Thats why i don't bother arguing with you on this, it's pointless. For every defensive lapse hibbert has, bynum has one also, you were trying to say he's a good Defensive C, other than his height, he's regularly out of position, as much as hibbert, and bring not much else.

Lopez... Thats a whole different argument. That whole team has problems, but to deny his offensive talent would be unjust. That teams is shit on D, has an overall lack of talent, and he has played like a zombie all year.

You argued chandler with someone else, but chandler anchors a defense, bynum is a role player in it. There's a huge difference, but i wouldn't expect someone who uses team stats for player arguments to understand that.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If Bogans was any good we'd be down by 30 right now.

Yeah, Rose is tearing up the defense and giving him wide open looks and now he's missing them.

Oh shit at Stacey King on that one move Rose put on Deron Williams: "It's like the Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals".

numble

giri said:
Lakers want to bring bynum off the bench, he pouts and plays shit getting nancy over not starting.
When did they want to bring Bynum off the bench and have him pouting? Odom was the one that pouted about going to the bench, if I recall.

linsivvi

numble said:
When did they want to bring Bynum off the bench and have him pouting? Odom was the one that pouted about going to the bench, if I recall.

Odom never pouted. Bynum complained a lot to the local media but has stopped doing so for at least a year. So I see a certain sign of improvement.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Jimmer and Kemba are actually playing like NBA players today instead of just doing the college style stuff. Makes me more optimistic about their NBA futures.

I think Kemba will be a good pro player, I have no idea about Jimmer.

One thing that is pretty troubling about Jimmer though is that he finishes with his right hand when driving left without reversing it. Considering how bad his explosion is, he's going to get stuffed a ton on that in the NBA.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Deron is 1-10, Farmar is 0-5, we're 2-14 from 3 and 10-16 at the line.

And somehow down 6.
People hate on DWill but I think the recent 5 game winning streak for the Nets is a testament to how good he is. He has two injured hands and is still leading the team to wins.

MidnightCowboy said:
People hate on DWill but I think the recent 5 game winning streak for the Nets is a testament to how good he is. He has two injured hands and is still leading the team to wins.
Or more to the fact that benching Travis Outlaw and Sasha Vujacic = WINS.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Frankman said:
Or more to the fact that benching Travis Outlaw and Sasha Vujacic = WINS.
Travis ALWAYS played his best off the bench as a stretch four.

reilo said:
Travis ALWAYS played his best off the bench as a stretch four.
Nets were starting him for awhile and playing Sasha over Morrow at SG,, which I will NEVER get. Add Humphries (aggressive boarder) at PF to Lopez, Morrow at SG and Deron at PG and you have a team MUCH better that they were before. Hell even with no Deron they're better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom