• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Bynum is a great defender but, come on, he's not better than Bogut.

Agree. Bogut is the 2nd best defensive big man behind Dwight.

But I still contend overall that Bynum is better than 1 armed Bogut simply because Bogut's offense has been fucked over by it. Fully healthy, I give Bogut the edge right now.

SamuraiX-

soundscream said:
Old?

Thoughts?

After VIPs pass a clipboard gauntlet—at a sports stadium—they can eat $21 nachos at a crocodile-skin bar while waiting for the space to transform into a postbuzzer dance club. When it’s time to leave, a valet will even bring around their bandwagon.

I lost it at the bold. LOL

ToxicAdam

ap-77476f2fadc04abe970585692e8c5ec7.jpg

"I'm getting too old for this shit"

Simmons was talking the other day how the Blazers are a 30-1 shot to win the West. Might be worth a 20 dollar bet.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT

"I'm not fully healthy."

-- Lakers center Andrew Bynum, who says he has fluid on his right knee and even ices his knees before he practices or plays a game.
That's not good.

Full quote:

"I have a little bit of fluid," Bynum said about his right knee. "I'm still taking medication. I'll let you all know when I get off that, and it'll be fine."

"I'm just coming out there giving it a lot of energy," Bynum said. "That's it. Just playing hard, trying to win games. [I'm] smiling because I'm having fun. It's fun to try and track down every rebound and block as many shots as possible."

They said this would be normal back during the summer. As long as he doesn't twist his knee again, it won't make a difference.

edit: interesting quote from Mitch

Q: On if he meant that last statement literally about not trading Bynum for anybody:
Kupchak: Anybody. If he’s healthy at this level he’s at, you’d have to think about anything. In other words, you may not trade him for anybody. If he helps your team and he’s what you need, and we can advance in the playoffs, then why would you take a chance and do anything? A lot of it is the right fit, the right personality for a team, and I think we have a group of players right now that are unselfish in the big picture, I really do. We know the players we had from last year are, because they’ve been through it, but the guys we added in Blake and Barnes feel that way too, and know what’s at stake here. We know there are going to be rumors about most of the guys on this team, but that’s just the way it is. If we play at a high level and we win, nobody has anything to worry about.

He also said he gets 10-15 calls per season of teams trying to trade for Bynum.

The Frankman said:
Those are some loud shoes. I read where he said he got the wrong shade of green but decided to wear them anyway because he loved them.
He should get some bright orange ones for the rest of the season. Works for Shawne.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
masud said:
Don't know how well that would have gone over at work. Didn't want to risk it.

Should have messed with him by transferring him to old teammates and coaches while you did different voices.

"Look like I will have to transfer you to a different department..." *hold*

"This is Zeke Thomas how may I help you?"

exarkun said:
dude, not gonna lie, you root for some terrible teams. Why do you do it to yourself? I remember you supporting other teams in other leagues that aren't all that successful. You can only root for the laundry for so long before it becomes abuse.
I was born into and raised on Cleveland sports. I am by default an Indians, Cavs and Browns fan. I now live in SE Florida but will never support any of these lame teams down here. But yes, it's hard.

I did my college work at Michigan, so up until the last few years, I always had that. I'm sure that will rebound. I also have a couple of NFL teams I pull for because of the presence of UM alumni.

But yes, it's tough to be a fan of a small market team. We had a fun ride with Lebron and the late 90s Indians before him. With Kosar's Browns before them. We'll see what happens in the future. Cavs are still in position to make some good moves and the Browns have been making good decisions that will pay off soon.

That being said, last nights game was very hard to watch. Q1 especially.

Fans that stay loyal to their local teams from birth - the ones that live and die by their successes and failures, the ones that suffer their occasional ineptitude proudly, the ones that are there for the playoffs and the pingpong balls - are the best kinds of fans.

I respect the real Cavs-Age members...they are still here, even when shit is the darkest. No matter what, you probably won't suck for a decade like the Knicks, kings of failure.

...but goddamn, a season's worth of games like yesterday's could kill a man. :(

diehard

Fleer
Blackace said:
Should have messed with him by transferring him to old teammates and coaches while you did different voices.

"Look like I will have to transfer you to a different department..." *hold*

"This is Zeke Thomas how may I help you?"
I don't think you have told us how things are for you over in Japan yet. Obviously have not posted much lately.

KingGondo

Banned
23 points on 21 shots and 2 assists against the Nets.
The MVP Train keeps rollin'.

Thibodeau should be COY, and Dwight should be MVP.

I don't think anyone would argue that he is the single most impactful player in the game, and probably the first guy taken if the NBA were blown up and the teams re-drafted.

diehard

Fleer
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Ugh, the one ABC game the Jazz could get this season isn't on ABC because it doesn't look they'll be any ABC games this Sunday with the tournament going on. Lame.
ABC game? Without the Lakers or Heat involved? No.

exarkun

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Ugh, the one ABC game the Jazz could get this season isn't on ABC because it doesn't look they'll be any ABC games this Sunday with the tournament going on. Lame.

Isn't that the one against us? And if we win its basically it counts double in the standings? And it will take us one step close to 8th seed?

LETS DO THIS.

Also, dreams-visions that is some brutal ish. Texans are bad, but we are new. I would still root for them even if they sucked for 10 years, but I would not be a happy camper. Also, the Wolverine's days of being a major player in college football are over! :p.

I'm so into college basketball, I didn't even know that Texas ran the Jazz's offense.

edit: The next two games are basically playoff games for the Jazz so it makes since that Kirilenko got randomly injured on an off-day, AAAHHHH. Whatever, Hayward is better and that frees up minutes for Evans once Millsap comes back.

KingGondo

Banned
dIEHARD said:
Don't compare Rose's stats to Paul's circa 2007-2009, it isn't pretty.. or even Deron's 07-8.
He'll win MVP based primarily on 3 things:

1) The city he plays in;
2) His team's record; and
3) How much fun he can be to watch.

The real heroes in Chicago are the coaches. Rose has been great, but he's far from the best player in the league, or even most valuable.

diehard

Fleer
Jeff-DSA said:
Like when we got to the WCF and he totally withered at that point?
I hated him in that series. Deron was destroying the Spurs and got next to no help (Game 2 and 3 Boozer was pretty good). Then all the Laker series.. ugh.

giri

KingGondo said:
He'll win MVP based primarily on 3 things:

1) The city he plays in;
2) His team's record; and
3) How much fun he can be to watch.

The real heroes in Chicago are the coaches. Rose has been great, but he's far from the best player in the league, or even most valuable.
the two people who are genuinely the most VALUABLE are dirk & nash to their respective teams.

giri said:
the two people who are genuinely the most VALUABLE are dirk & nash to their respective teams.

Try to make an argument on how the Magic break 15 wins without Dwight without talking about what the players on the team were or what they could have been. Dirk and Nash should be top 5 though.

numble

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Try to make an argument on how the Magic break 15 wins without Dwight without talking about what the players on the team were or what they could have been. Dirk and Nash should be top 5 though.
The Wizards, Raptors, and the Cavs will break 15 wins. That's my argument.

numble said:
The Wizards, Raptors, and the Cavs will break 15 wins. That's my argument.

The Raptors aren't that bad, they just intentionally try to lose. I should have said 20, which the Wiz and Cavs didn't won't get, forgot for a moment how bad you have to be to win less than 15.

KingGondo

Banned
giri said:
The real MVPs in my mind:

1. Dwight: Like I said, the single most impactful player in the game. Every time you play the Magic, the entire game plan centers around him on both ends of the floor. Plus, the Magic would be pretty bad without him.
1(a). Dirk: Just look at their record without him. He makes that entire garbled mess of a roster somehow make sense.

Neither of their teams is sniffing a chip this year though.

Jeff-DSA

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I wonder what would happen to this thread if people had to go without stats for a week.

A lot of shaking would be going around.

I rarely look at stats unless I'm just trying to troll Rondo or Kobe or something. Having season tickets and watching a lot of games, I'm far more concerned about how the team performs as a whole with that player in the lineup and how much at fault they are for things going wrong or how much they're to credit for the good. This is why I picked on Love the other night. It was a dunk fest for the Jazz (62 points in the paint) against the Wolves because Love provided less resistance than anybody I've seen in a long time.

Jeff-DSA said:
I rarely look at stats unless I'm just trying to troll Rondo or Kobe or something. Having season tickets and watching a lot of games, I'm far more concerned about how the team performs as a whole with that player in the lineup and how much at fault they are for things going wrong or how much they're to credit for the good. This is why I picked on Love the other night. It was a dunk fest for the Jazz (62 points in the paint) against the Wolves because Love provided less resistance than anybody I've seen in a long time.

That's how I am.

I only look at stats when it comes to teams that are going nowhere and have a player whose numbers are the only redeeming part of the whole team.

And even then I take their talent with a grain of sand and wonder how they'd do on a team with talent.

I learn next to nothing from numbers.

The only way they help me is if I can't see those particular games that player is in.

KingGondo

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I wonder what would happen to this thread if people had to go without stats for a week.

A lot of shaking would be going around.
Fine, then look at team accomplishments. The Bulls will have a win total in the high 50s (or maybe even 60) in a weaker division and conference.

The Thunder will have a win total in the mid 50s in a far tougher division and conference.

Both Russ and Rose have had great, good, and bad games. Both carried their teams when key contributors were injured.

I agree that over-reliance on stats is a fool's errand, but they have their place.

KingGondo said:
Fine, then look at team accomplishments. The Bulls will have a win total in the high 50s (or maybe even 60) in a weaker division and conference.

Rose "dominated" against the best teams in the league and the Bulls beat all of them at least once.

I don't know if the same is true for the Thunder.

Westbrook's good but not even the go-to-guy on his own team.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Rose "dominated" against the best teams in the league and the Bulls beat all of them at least once.

I don't know if the same is true for the Thunder.

Westbrook's good but not even the go-to-guy on his own team.

Rose wouldn't be the go-to-guy if he was playing next to Durant either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom