• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Beasley put up stupid numbers in college, he wasn't drafted on upside.

The upside thing was directed towards Perry. Beasleys numbers were huge in college...there were red flags in terms of his desire and off court problems though...and that lack of IQ has shown itself in the league.

Beasley has bad IQ...but I've always liked him. Hopefully he can learn to board...he averages a single board over John Wall right now...

On the subject of the Heat though...a lot of guys were making fun of the fact that ESPN or others were crying about Chalmers loss like it was a big deal--man that shit is a big deal.

Whenever the Heat have looked their best I've always thought Chalmers played well in those games. I actually thought with the addition of Haslem and a Heat team that's playing better as of late they'd have a shot against the new look Celtics.

But Rajon against Bibby now? Chauncey against Bibby?

*shrug* It's a big loss imo.

Biggest thing for the Lakers is if they can avoid Portland. If they stay ahead of Dallas then I can see them 3peating. Portland is a series that result in injuries, a possible first round exit, fatigue....not liking that matchup for them.

Nikola Mirotic is going to declare. He's similar to Andrea Bargnani but with better defense by most accounts (Though his rebounding and shot creation is just as bad). He's probably going to go later in the first-round because of contract issues.

diehard

Fleer
Doc Holliday said:
Actually I think the bulls would be the worst matchup for tha lakers at this point. The bulls are just at as big as the lakers up front. Deng makes Kobe work on both ends, and fish can't guard Rose. Of course all this doesn't mean shit if Kobe is Kobe in the playoffs. I think it would be a long series.
Wait till you see Boozer against Odom and Gasol.. haha

Flash

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Nikola Mirotic is going to declare. He's similar to Andrea Bargnani but with better defense by most accounts (Though his rebounding and shot creation is just as bad). He's probably going to go later in the first-round because of contract issues.

remember that raptors are picking top 5 probably. i don't know if colangelo will be able to resist.

Doc Holliday said:
Actually I think the bulls would be the worst matchup for tha lakers at this point. The bulls are just at as big as the lakers up front. Deng makes Kobe work on both ends, and fish can't guard Rose. Of course all this doesn't mean shit if Kobe is Kobe in the playoffs. I think it would be a long series.

Pau looked like the GOAT against Boozer the last time he faced him...seriously. Had 33 and 14 in the sweep game against Booz...

commish said:
No idea why he can't rebound, though.

because kevin love is stealing them all

and about chalmers, when he plays well and defends smart, we're great. the problem is he's such a knucklehead that we weren't going to trust him in the playoffs anyways. bibby was going to get those minutes

the point guard defense will be a problem but bibby won't turn it over on stupid shit like mario does

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Just noticed the Lakers are the second team to reach 50 wins. heh. And after all that doom and gloom earlier in the season too. smh

Doubters gonna doubt.
Boombloxer said:
The seedings have some interesting match-ups as of now (except ours). OKC-DEN I think will be really competitive.
I really hope it stays the way it is. Getting NO in the first round would be really great for us.

SA, OKC and Dallas are gonna have their hands full in the first round...

And if the Lakers meet the Bulls in the finals they may as well just hand Pau his FMVP on opening night.

Derwind

Flash said:
remember that raptors are picking top 5 probably. i don't know if colangelo will be able to resist.

Absolutely not, we don't need a Bargnani v2.0!!!

I will seethe with hatred if Colangelo picks another first round bust!!! >_<

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Forceatowulf said:
And if the Lakers meet the Bulls in the finals they may as well just hand Pau his FMVP on opening night.

Damn, I haven't been on NBAGaf all weekend. Feels weird.

Anyways, Lakers are the worst matchup for the Bulls now. Pau will destroy Boozer and Bynum is too big for Noah. The only matchup we win is Rose vs. Fisher.

diehard

Fleer
SephCast said:
Damn, I haven't been on NBAGaf all weekend. Feels weird.

Anyways, Lakers are the worst matchup for the Bulls now. Pau will destroy Boozer and Bynum is too big for Noah. The only matchup we win is Rose vs. Fisher.
Coming from a Jazz fan, winning the PG matchup isnt enough, trust me.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Lakers have been losing the PG battle since Magic retired, and it hasn't mattered one bit. Which is why it's so hilarious seeing Konex throw such a fit over Fisher.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
reilo said:
The Lakers have been losing the PG battle since Magic retired, and it hasn't mattered one bit. Which is why it's so hilarious seeing Konex throw such a fit over Fisher.
Nick Van Exel was pretty good.

ph33nix said:
because kevin love is stealing them all

and about chalmers, when he plays well and defends smart, we're great. the problem is he's such a knucklehead that we weren't going to trust him in the playoffs anyways. bibby was going to get those minutes

the point guard defense will be a problem but bibby won't turn it over on stupid shit like mario does

He was the worst rebounding PF in the NBA in Miami as well, you can stop making excuses for him now.

Forceatowulf said:
Just noticed the Lakers are the second team to reach 50 wins. heh. And after all that doom and gloom earlier in the season too. smh

Doubters gonna doubt.

.............................really?

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
He was the worst rebounding PF in the NBA in Miami as well, you can stop making excuses for him now.

Why would I listen to anyone who says that Paul Millsap is the most skilled power forward in the league?

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I highly doubt you've watched any of Paul Millsap this year outside of when he ended Haslem's career and scarred Bosh, but he is incredibly skilled.

Then I'm going sit here and assume that because you don't live near Florida and aren't a Heat fan, that you have rarely watched Beasley, so that you can't talk about him.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I highly doubt you've watched any of Paul Millsap this year outside of when he ended Haslem's career and scarred Bosh, but he is incredibly skilled.

I'm not gonna pretend that I've seen Millsap play a lot, but he can't be more skilled than Gasol, right? Maybe on defense, but definitely not on offense.

ph33nix said:
Then I'm going sit here and assume that because you don't live near Florida and aren't a Heat fan, that you have rarely watched Beasley, so that you can't talk about him.

I have watched Beasley, he sucks at basketball. Name another PF who has the complete faceup game (With the ball handling, jump shot, pump fakes, passing) and post-up game like Millsap does. Amar'e and Bosh have similar faceup skills, but have no post moves compared to Millsap and Bosh is a Zach Randolph-esque passer, probably worse actually.

edit: ehh, I mentally catalog Gasol as a center, so I forgot him. Still, second most skilled. Z-bo and Odom are closish though. Millsap is not very skilled defensively...

reilo

SephCast said:
I'm not gonna pretend that I've seen Millsap play a lot, but he can't be more skilled than Gasol, right? Maybe on defense, but definitely not on offense.
He's nowhere near as good of a rebounder as Gasol, he doesn't pass as well, he isn't more efficient, he doesn't get to the line as much, he doesn't shoot better from the line, and he doesn't play as good of defense as Gasol simply because of his physical disadvantages at the position he plays.

In other words, he's dead wrong.

reilo

Ninja Scooter said:
Did Reilo say he was gonna be good?
He's played well in five games ala Andrea Bargnani three seasons ago. It must mean he's good!

Pau plays most of his minutes at C, deal with it. And I never said he wasn't the best PF in the league because his size, athleticism, and D is not good.

Maybe I'm wrong against Beasley because things like this always happen when I watch him play:

http://www.theutahjazzblog.com/2011-articles/march/cj-miles-drops-40-on-the-timberwolves-video.html

Admittedly, Beasley's turn on CJ lasted around two minutes in the first half because he got completely faked on a jab step and didn't bother to recover, lost CJ off a simple route, and then gave him space when he just he two threes. And in the second half, he was only in those highlights because of his terrible help defense instead of defending him one-on-one. To go along with that amazing defense, Beasley scored 16 points on 16 shots, grabbed five rebounds, had one bail out assist, and by the end of the game, no one knew why he was starting over Anthony Randolph (Another player the Heat should have picked over Beasley bringing the total to 20)

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
He's played well in five games ala Andrea Bargnani three seasons ago. It must mean he's good!
Now you're just ignoring the truth right in front of your face. It's been almost a month since we traded Green, look at his contributions in those games if you're not too afraid to eat crow. :p

reilo

KingGondo said:
Now you're just ignoring the truth right in front of your face. It's been almost a month since we traded Green, look at his contributions in those games if you're not too afraid to eat crow. :p
A month you say? There was a March where Andrea Bargnani averaged a whopping 20.3PPG on 52FG% and 52% from three and 87FT%! Stud, I say.

Sheeit. The honest truth here is that Harden is a #3 pick that isn't even as good as an undrafted player from his own draft: Wesley Matthews.

reilo said:
A month you say? There was a March where Andrea Bargnani averaged a whopping 20.3PPG on 52FG% and 52% from three and 87FT%! Stud, I say.

Sheeit. The honest truth here is that Harden is a #3 pick that isn't even as good as an undrafted player from his own draft: Wesley Matthews.

Matthews is the third best player in his draft class. This is like bashing Rip Hamilton for a being a top ten pick who isn't as good as a guy picked 57th in the same draft (Manu).

KingGondo

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Matthews is the third best player in his draft class. This is like bashing Rip Hamilton for a being a top ten pick who isn't as good as a guy picked 57th in the same draft (Manu).
Thank you. I believe reilo's exact words were that Harden "fucking sucks." Surely he can admit that he's wrong as far as that goes.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Rip Hamilton at his worst was an above average player right from the get-go and never as bad as James Harden.
KingGondo said:
Thank you. I believe reilo's exact words were that Harden "fucking sucks." Surely he can admit that he's wrong as far as that goes.
Oh, I'm sorry that I called out a player that was putting up stats only comparable to post-Lakers Trevor Ariza without Trevor's defense. Hell, as recently as January Harden was averaging 8.6PPG on 37FG%. POP THE CHAMPAGNE Y'ALL.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
Oh, I'm sorry that I called out a player that was putting up stats only comparable to post-Lakers Trevor Ariza without Trevor's defense. Hell, as recently as January Harden was averaging 8.6PPG on 37FG%. POP THE CHAMPAGNE Y'ALL.
You know just as well as me that a change in role and increase in minutes can do wonders. He's secure in his role as the primary bench scorer and has seen his minutes increase by almost 10mpg, and his efficiency has actually gone up the more he's played.

It's ok to admit you were wrong to call him a bust, no one will think any less of you. At least I won't.

reilo

KingGondo said:
You know just as well as me that a change in role and increase in minutes can do wonders. He's secure in his role as the primary bench scorer and has seen his minutes increase by almost 10mpg, and his efficiency has actually gone up the more he's played.

It's ok to admit you were wrong to call him a bust, no one will think any less of you. At least I won't.
Remember when Jeff Green was a promising second year player and averaged 16.5PPG, 45FG%, and shot 38% from three and was talked about being Durant's "Pippen"? That was merely two seasons ago.

Would you like to give us your opinion on Jeff Green, today?

SamuraiX-

KingGondo said:
Har de har. Check his $tat$ since we traded Jeff Gomes.

Oh, wow.

Shooting a decent FG% against the juggernaut defenses of the Suns, Grizzlies, Pistons, Cavaliers, Wizards, Bobcats, and Raptors!

I'm still waiting for him to show us that he's as good as Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry.

That should be right around the corner, amirite?

You guys ain't ready! Better have him at the top of your MIP list next season!

James Harden is an iso scorer who wasn't allow to iso with Jeff Green taking all the isos in OKC, his improvement is actual and not just a hot streak. Harden is an unwatchable player who I wish would be out of the NBA so I wouldn't have to see his beard or flopping, but he's good. Especially considering how bad wings in the NBA currently are. There was almost no one picked after him who's better.

edit: He's easily better than Tyreke as well.

reilo

Guards better than James Harden from the same draft-class and drafted after him:

Curry, Evans, Matthews, Derozan, Jennings, Holiday, Lawson, Collison, Beaubois, Douglas, Thornton

KingGondo

Banned
We don't need him to be as good as Curry or to be Pippen to KD's Jordan. We need him to be a great sixth man and third scorer, which he has been since the trade.

reilo said:
Guards better than James Harden from the same draft-class and drafted after him:

Curry, Evans, Matthews, Derozan, Jennings, Holiday, Lawson, Collison, Beaubois, Douglas, Thornton

Fun fact, you don't believe any of that other than Curry and Matthews and no one else does either.

SamuraiX-

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
edit: He's easily better than Tyreke as well.

2nqgs20.gif

Jeff-DSA

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Fun fact, you don't believe any of that other than Curry and Matthews and no one else does either.

I'd definitely still agree about Collison and Lawson. I'd possibly agree with Roddy, Douglas, and Derozan too.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Yeah, I do. Any of those guys (especially the shooting guards) you could replace with Harden and the Thunder would be better for it. Quite a few of them play a similar role (Beaubois, Douglas, Thornton, Matthews/Collison last season) off the bench, and have done what he's done more consistently the past two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom