• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Forceatowulf said:
What's Kevin Martin and Durants "At rim" totals compared to Bryant? I'd like to see those please.
Those guys are just cheesing motherfuckers that are built like bamboo sticks. Fuck the calls those guys get.

Man, I wish I could be happy about this Raps win but all I see in every victory is another year of suffering. The Raptors are like a treadmill team now, except they're just going to bounce around the mid lotto and draft Charlie Villanuevas for eternity.

Because like hey, throwing enough games to get a top 3 pick would violate that never-say-die winning Raptor Culture.™

Ninja Scooter said:
if he retires? Don't think so. Otherwise Vince Carter would have retired the minute he signed his last contract.

He didn't?

reilo

LiveFromKyoto said:
Man, I wish I could be happy about this Raps win but all I see in every victory is another year of suffering. The Raptors are like a treadmill team now, except they're just going to bounce around the mid lotto and draft Charlie Villanuevas for eternity.

Because like hey, throwing enough games to get a top 3 pick would violate that never-say-die winning Raptor Culture.™

He didn't?
Do you really want a top pick? Do you really want another Andrea Bargnani?

Zep

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Ok, last one and I will at least stop with this "trivia":

Who leads the league in Bynum fouls aka Flagrant fouls?????

Ive seen Brand kicked out of 3gms this year..

Derwind

LiveFromKyoto said:

We should have cashed this season out last November....*sigh*

Toronto Pacers!!!!

LiveFromKyoto said:

He didn't?

There's almost no difference between the third pick (Harrison Barnes, the next CJ Miles) and the eighth pick in this year's draft so moving from 5th to 6th wouldn't hurt the team too much.

linsivvi

Bynum is averaging less than 3 fouls per game, and he's never been that high in fouls in his career. Where did you guys get that impression from?

reilo said:
Do you really want a top pick? Do you really want another Andrea Bargnani?

That's like the only bad pick Colangelo has made, tbh. I think he just got overwhelmed by the Itallianissimo there and couldn't see straight. I generally have faith that he'll pick the right guy (even if he trades him to the Pacers on draft day). But he's still limited by where he drafts. Like DeRozan and Davis are decent picks, but they're not leading you to be competitive in the super-team East. The only way out of this rut is 2-3 years of hardcore balls to the wall tanking.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
There's almost no difference between the third pick (Harrison Barnes, the next CJ Miles) and the eighth pick in this year's draft so moving from 5th to 6th wouldn't hurt the team too much.

Which is why you go guns blazing for the #1 pick all year like Cleveland has, so that if there's just one stand out guy you make sure you can get him. I mean even if it's a worst case scenario, the 2000 draft sucked phat donkey ballz, but you'd still rather walk away with Kenyon Martin than Darius Miles or Stromile Swift.

diehard

Fleer
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
That's even worse, Rose has to ram his body as hard as he can into the defender and then tell the ref that he just had sex with his mother to get to the line!!!!
Coming off a 21 free throw game he must have been bragging about mom sex a lot.

reilo

marathonfool said:
The Rockets backcourt is the biggest example of what's wrong with the NBA. The shit is unwatchable.
I loved the montage of the thirteen consecutive freethrows in the final minutes of the game.

Cousins is over 4 fouls a game playing just 28 minutes per game. yeeeesh. Amir Johnson is right behind him in 26 minutes. I don't get how he hasn't figured out how to not foul, still. At least Cousins is a rook.

reilo

thiswillhavetodo.gif

exarkun

I know K-mart's antics, and that is fine. People can rag on him.

But Lowry is not that type of player. I bagged on Lowry allll last year, thinking he couldn't take it up a notch. But he has. He can shoot, drive, pass well, and leads the team. He has legitimately stepped up every area of his game. He gave us our first triple double of the season. I think its more than a little unfair to call him whats wrong with the NBA when he is becoming better than alot of other team's PG's. He could easily go the Chris Paul route at his size, but for the better part of his play he doesn't

Plus, most of those Lowry free throws came when the Jazz had to foul. Its a bit of stretch to call that his fault

The Mavericks routed the Warriors, 101-73, producing by far their largest margin of victory of the season. This is hard to believe, but Dallas, which improved its record to 49-21 with Sunday's win, had been one of three NBA teams without a 20-point victory this season. The only remaining teams not to win a game by 20 or more points this season are the Nets (22-46) and Cavaliers (13-55).

That's quite impressive for Dallas, really.

Jeff-DSA

exarkun said:
I know K-mart's antics, and that is fine. People can rag on him.

But Lowry is not that type of player. I bagged on Lowry allll last year, thinking he couldn't take it up a notch. But he has. He can shoot, drive, pass well, and leads the team. He has legitimately stepped up every area of his game. He gave us our first triple double of the season. I think its more than a little unfair to call him whats wrong with the NBA when he is becoming better than alot of other team's PG's. He could easily go the Chris Paul route at his size, but for the better part of his play he doesn't

Plus, most of those Lowry free throws came when the Jazz had to foul. Its a bit of stretch to call that his fault

I don't peg Lowry as a foul baiter. He's more of a worker than a flail artist. Kevin Martin is one of the most annoying players I've ever seen, however.

MPW said:

anyone else here would like to see lakers vs bulls final?

Lakers would wrap that up in 5 games.

Season-series win baby. So good.

So fucking good.

Fixed. And it is good.

The seedings have some interesting match-ups as of now (except ours). OKC-DEN I think will be really competitive.

Smokey

marathonfool said:
The Rockets backcourt is the biggest example of what's wrong with the NBA. The shit is unwatchable.

Then don't watch?

Complaining about Kevin Martin is a legit criticism of the way the league officiates. Even our TV announcers (who I think are some of the most honest/unbiased in NBA) routinely complain about the flopping of Scola and Kevin Martin. They also call KMart out for his traveling violations that he seems to always get away with. I have no problem with anybody going after him.

Lowry though...no. That guy just plays hard. Most of the time he goes to the rim hard and earns the call, so I think it's a little messed up to lump him in with KMart. Everybody knows how soft the league has become and KMart(who is soft himself), just happens to take advantage of it better than anybody else.

Also woke up and realized the Rockets now have a legit chance at swapping draft picks with the Knicks. I don't know if that's a indication of how much better the Rockets have played after the ASB, or just how lol the Knicks have become after blowing up their team.

Excuse me if I seem like I'm jumping head first into a venomous pool of hyperbole here but I just saw Derrick Williams play a full game for the first time yesterday and despite the fact that it was arguably one of his worst games of the season I can honestly say that he's the most impressive draft prospect I've seen since Bron Bron...

And I'm stunned by the fact.

Because I've looked at his highlights, yawned, and basically considered him to be a tweener like Beasley.

What I saw last night though was a PF that I think can be better than some of the best PF's in the league the second he steps onto the court...

I've never seen a player that screamed superstar in the college ranks as much as Derrick Williams did last night. Everything he did off the ball was perfect: He denied fronts, he set great screens, he went out and got the ball where he wanted and made his moves without over dribbling, he seals HARD in the post, his stroke looks smooth, he bangs like a true PF...

The most disturbing thing about the kid was that he was a LEGIT PF. Not some Mike Beasley POS. He has a strong base, bangs hard, and goes hard for boards.

He has better ball handling than most GUARDS in the NBA, and absolutely the best ball handling out of any PF in the league RIGHT NOW. It's unbelievable how polished his offensive game is considering his age.

I just can't believe that people are saying this draft is a bust with a guy like Williams out there. Dude is unreal.

Friggin raged that he hit the game winner last night...and he will most likely show how sick his ball handling and first step is when Duke brings those zone doubles. I hope he gets worked hard so that Sully, Barnes and Kyrie get the hype...

Deron Williams doing some Russian basketball camps this Summer. Okay.

edit: Derrick Williams is a great ball handler and has a great BBIQ, but he's going to have to finish at the rim without going to the line to be as good as Millsap (His max upside)

Smokey

commish said:
So, which one of you was saying that freaking Aaron Brooks was better than Lowry?!

He was. He averaged 20 ppg last year. Before this year Lowry had no outside shot and was more of a change of pace guard from Brooks, not to mention bigger/stronger. Lowry has exploded after getting his chance (and that contract in the offseason).

Brooks has cost himself millons this year. Walking out when the game wasn't over, throwing a ball at a ref, playing HORRIBLE in a contract year...bad situation for him.

I blame Manu.

Dark FaZe said:
Slob fest over Derrick Williams

He's nice for sure. If he was as good as you're hyping him up to be...don't you think he would have been getting much more play as a "star" or dominant force in the game? It's not like he plays at some small time school. He had a beast game, but I'll need to see more before claiming he's the best prospect since Lebron.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Deron Williams doing some Russian basketball camps this Summer. Okay.

edit: Derrick Williams is a great ball handler and has a great BBIQ, but he's going to have to finish at the rim without going to the line to be as good as Millsap (His max upside)

Playing alongside Wall he'll get a ton of cheap buckets.

I don't see the Millsap comparison at all btw. He's having a terrific season this year but if Derrick starts for the Wiz for example I think he gets 17ppg easy to fill for Blatche, so statically i would expect a better rookie season for the kid than Pauls best season as a pro.

Then from the aspect of actual floor skills: The only thing that I would say Paul has a shot at being better at would be post D, rebounding and post offense...and even some of those things are debatable to me.

He's not even close to Paul as a player at all. His handle is 99x better, his first step could arguably be the best of any PF in the league after a couple of years with the explosion he has, his stroke can go out to anywhere on the court...

Milsap isn't even like him, but he's like a worst case scenario.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Smokey said:
He was. He averaged 20 ppg last year. Before this year Lowry had no outside shot and was more of a change of pace guard from Brooks, not to mention bigger/stronger. Lowry has exploded after getting his chance (and that contract in the offseason).

Brooks has cost himself millons this year. Walking out when the game wasn't over, throwing a ball at a ref, playing HORRIBLE in a contract year...bad situation for him.

I blame Manu.

He never was. Brooks had an okay season last year, getting 20 and 5, but he's more of a volume shooter than anything. Like a little mini Stackhouse. Lowry was always the better defender and better at running the offense. The fact that Brooks is now a Sun makes me want to throw my computer down the trashshoot. First Hedo, and now Brooks. Why are the Suns collecting players I simply can't stand?

Smokey

commish said:
He never was. Brooks had an okay season last year, getting 20 and 5, but he's more of a volume shooter than anything. Like a little mini Stackhouse. Lowry was always the better defender and better at running the offense. The fact that Brooks is now a Sun makes me want to throw my computer down the trashshoot. First Hedo, and now Brooks. Why are the Suns collecting players I simply can't stand?

But he was. Up until this season Brooks > Lowry. The only advantage Lowry had over him was his size (and along with that the ability to play better defense). Dude was buried on the Grizzlies bench before coming to Houston.

Lowry obviously worked hard on his game in the offseason while AB sulked about not getting a new contract and you're seeing the result of that now.

Smokey said:
He's nice for sure. If he was as good as you're hyping him up to be...don't you think he would have been getting much more play as a "star" or dominant force in the game? It's not like he plays at some small time school. He had a beast game, but I'll need to see more before claiming he's the best prospect since Lebron.

It was the hyperbole speaking.

Off of the top of my head I think Durant and Blake Griffin have been the best looking in college, even superior to D. Williams. Carmelo as well if you count him.

But you can't be mad at being mentioned with any of those players right?

As far as the lack of hype? I don't know. He plays with terrible guards from what I saw last night, but his stats have been there all year. I don't know why espn reporters do what they do...I won't pretend to know what goes through their minds.

Please watch the Duke game this Thursday...I'm not too sure how he'll perform given the type of swamping pressure and abuse of the zone that Duke uses but hopefully you'll see what I see in him.

Dark FaZe said:
Playing alongside Wall he'll get a ton of cheap buckets.

I don't see the Millsap comparison at all btw. He's having a terrific season this year but if Derrick starts for the Wiz for example I think he gets 17ppg easy to fill for Blatche, so statically i would expect a better rookie season for the kid than Pauls best season as a pro.

Then from the aspect of actual floor skills: The only thing that I would say Paul has a shot at being better at would be post D, rebounding and post offense...and even some of those things are debatable to me.

He's not even close to Paul as a player at all. His handle is 99x better, his first step could arguably be the best of any PF in the league after a couple of years with the explosion he has, his stroke can go out to anywhere on the court...

Milsap isn't even like him, but he's like a worst case scenario.

wtf? Millsap is the most skilled PF in the league, and has an incredible first-step and handle and a quality jumper that can go out to three. Millsap also is statistically the best finisher in the NBA and one of the five most clutch players in the NBA. You are batshit insane if you think that's a worst case and they do play alike. Millsap's issues preventing him from being top 20 in the NBA are size and defense which are also Williams' issues.

commish

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
wtf? Millsap is the most skilled PF in the league, and has an incredible first-step and handle and a quality jumper that can go out to three. Millsap also is statistically the best finisher in the NBA and one of the five most clutch players in the NBA. You are batshit insane if you think that's a worst case and they do play alike. Millsap's issues preventing him from being top 20 in the NBA are size and defense which are also Williams' issues.

Yeah, 6'8" for a PF, can't really be one of the best PF if you are under 6'10".

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Then consider me BATSHIT INSANE. He's 17 and 8 in his best season in the L right now (no small feat I know) but I simply don't feel that that would be Derrick Williams best case scenario. I truly believe 17 and 8 is a given for the kid at some point in his career (he would average this as a starter for the Wiz on his rookie season if he takes Blatches minutes).

Millsaps handle and first step aren't on Derricks level right now as a damn sophmore in college. I like Millsap better in terms of his ability to finish more consistently at the rim but Derrick will only improve at that as he gets nba experience under his belt.

I like Derricks ability to score more than Millsap...sorry.

I will fall into depression if the Wiz don't pick this guy.

commish said:
Yeah, 6'8" for a PF, can't really be one of the best PF if you are under 6'10".

And yet Amare sucks on D, sucks on the boards and only offers scoring.

My point is that I think D.Williams can be an over 20ppg scorer at some point his career while still averaging 8 boards a game. I don't know what his scoring ceiling is.

Obviously he's not going to reach Duncan tier...you have to be 6'10 to do that, but I could see him being a tier below that.

commish

Dark FaZe said:
And yet Amare sucks on D, sucks on the boards and only offers scoring.

My point is that I think D.Williams can be an over 20ppg scorer at some point his career while still averaging 8 boards a game. I don't know what his scoring ceiling is.

Obviously he's not going to reach Duncan tier...you have to be 6'10 to do that, but I could see him being a tier below that.

What does Amare have to do with anything?

And while we can talk about how good Williams looks or can be in the pros, the list is a MILE LONG of how many players looked one way in college, but were shitty pros in the NBA. Comparing a guy playing against mostly college bums and a guy playing against the best in the world is pretty pointless. I like Williams too, and I think he'll do well, but it's just pointless to claim that college player X is better than pro Y at this point.

And my comment about needing to be 6'10" was sarcastic; there have been quite a few amazing PFs who were shorter than 6'10" - arguably the GOAT, Karl Malone, comes to mind.

commish said:
What does Amare have to do with anything?

And while we can talk about how good Williams looks or can be in the pros, the list is a MILE LONG of how many players looked one way in college, but were shitty pros in the NBA. Comparing a guy playing against mostly college bums and a guy playing against the best in the world is pretty pointless. I like Williams too, and I think he'll do well, but it's just pointless to claim that college player X is better than pro Y at this point.

And my comment about needing to be 6'10" was sarcastic; there have been quite a few amazing PFs who were shorter than 6'10" - arguably the GOAT, Karl Malone, comes to mind.

What you're saying is definitely true, but at the same time I'd argue that there were a lot of red flags with some of the better looking players in college that many people simply ignored in hopes of things like 'upside' and potential...like Beasley and very likely Perry Jones. I really see nothing like that in Williams at all.

I'll end the discussion here, because nothing will be proven until after a possible lockout and mid-way through next season, but to me Williams a smaller Amare Stoudemire with the potential to show more range with his shooting and with superior ball handling.

Overall I just thought I'd interject with some discussion about the rare topic of a possible stud in this draft...which seems to getting overlooked to the point where GM's will trade a top pick this year for Mo Williams...

Can't wait until the lottery and the playoffs though.

commish

Dark FaZe said:
What you're saying is definitely true, but at the same time I'd argue that there were a lot of red flags with some of the better looking players in college that many people simply ignored in hopes of things like 'upside' and potential...like Beasley and very likely Perry Jones. I really see nothing like that in Williams at all.

I'll end the discussion here, because nothing will be proven until after a possible lockout and mid-way through next season, but to me Williams a smaller Amare Stoudemire with the potential to show more range with his shooting and with superior ball handling.

Overall I just thought I'd interject with some discussion about the rare topic of a possible stud in this draft...which seems to getting overlooked to the point where GM's will trade a top pick this year for Mo Williams...

Can't wait until the lottery and the playoffs though.

We have all offseason to talk about drafts and rookies! This is the time to talk about the Lakers and/or the Heat.

Don't hate on Beez, he was putting up 23 a game on good percentages the first 2 months of the season. I think he'll hover around 20 a game if he can ever get 35 minutes a night consistently. No idea why he can't rebound, though.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Boombloxer said:
Lakers would wrap that up in 5 games.

Fixed. And it is good.

The seedings have some interesting match-ups as of now (except ours). OKC-DEN I think will be really competitive.

Actually I think the bulls would be the worst matchup for tha lakers at this point. The bulls are just at as big as the lakers up front. Deng makes Kobe work on both ends, and fish can't guard Rose. Of course all this doesn't mean shit if Kobe is Kobe in the playoffs. I think it would be a long series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom