• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Jennings, reilo? Really?

I thought you were better than that.

And don't act like Reke has been setting the world on fire or anything, Samurai.

SamuraiX-

KingGondo said:
We don't need him to be as good as Curry or to be Pippen to KD's Jordan. We need him to be a great sixth man and third scorer, which he has been since the trade.

Except he's not.

He's a streak shooter and completely unreliable as production off the bench against teams that actually matter.

I suppose it'll take him shooting your team out of a few Playoff series for you to see the light eventually.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Shit, if we are gonna name players that have done well since a big rotation player left their team, I'm gonna name-drop Gerald Henderson (bro-fist to my main man Dy on that one) that you could replace Harden with and the Thunder wouldn't be any worse for it.

SamuraiX-

reilo said:
Shit, if we are gonna name players that have done well since a big rotation player left their team, I'm gonna name-drop Gerald Henderson (bro-fist to my main man Dy on that one) that you could replace Harden with and the Thunder wouldn't be any worse for it.

Fuck that.

If you replaced Henderson with Harden, the Thunder would probably have 6 or 7 more wins this season.

reilo

KingGondo said:
Jennings, reilo? Really?

I thought you were better than that.

And don't act like Reke has been setting the world on fire or anything, Samurai.
Tyreke Evans in January:

19.4PPG, 4.8RPG, 5.1APG

Tyreke Evans in February:

22.2PPG, 5.5RPG, 5.5APG

Oh look, I just took your argument for Harden, applied it to Tyreke and made you look silly.

KingGondo

Banned
I told you BEFORE the trade that an increase in minutes for Harden would mean much better numbers, and you told me he was a bust and was a terrible player.

The evidence since the trade is squarely on my side, that's all I'm saying. If you can't admit that, then you're clearly just trolling and never meant to have an honest debate.

reilo

KingGondo said:
I told you BEFORE the trade that an increase in minutes for Harden would mean much better numbers, and you told me he was a bust and was a terrible player.

The evidence since the trade is squarely on my side, that's all I'm saying. If you can't admit that, then you're clearly just trolling and never meant to have an honest debate.
Great. You just described Martell Webster.

And no, I'm not trolling. I honestly believe that if the Thunder had any of those players instead of Harden in the same role, at worst they would break even.

SamuraiX-

KingGondo said:

So are you trying to say you don't believe Harden is gonna improve or keep this up through the rest of this season and next season?

It seems pointless to just say "check his $tat$" without giving a fuck about who they played since Green was traded.

None of this changes the fact that Frauden is a bust.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
Great. You just described Martell Webster.

And no, I'm not trolling. I honestly believe that if the Thunder had any of those players instead of Harden in the same role, at worst they would break even.
I'm gonna go ahead and rule out all the PGs except Curry, because we're set there with Westbrook and Maynor.

The only players you listed that I'd rather have than Harden are Matthews and Curry, and Harden is a much better defender than Curry.

In his role (which makes far more sense than it did before the trade when we had an unconventional rotation), he's playing great basketball right now.

reilo

KingGondo said:
I'm gonna go ahead and rule out all the PGs except Curry, because we're set there with Westbrook and Maynor.

The only players you listed that I'd rather have than Harden are Matthews and Curry, and Harden is a much better defender than Curry.

In his role (which makes far more sense than it did before the trade when we had an unconventional rotation), he's playing great basketball right now.
See kids, this is what happens when you start watching basketball three seasons ago.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
See kids, this is what happens when you start watching basketball three seasons ago.
1) I've been watching the NBA for a long time.

2) You're the one who said Brandon Jennings would make us a better team.

reilo

KingGondo said:
1) I've been watching the NBA for a long time.

2) You're the one who said Brandon Jennings would make us a better team.
Check his March numbers!

/KingGondoArgument

xnipx

The problem with the harden pick is that he was picked top 5 when he's not top 5 talent. He's a very good role player tho. I don't think anybody denies that. He sucks as a top 5 pick they could have traded it for a legit backup SG if that's all they wanted

reilo

xnipx said:
The problem with the harden pick is that he was picked top 5 when he's not top 5 talent. He's a very good role player tho. I don't think anybody denies that. He sucks as a top 5 pick they could have traded it for a legit backup SG if that's all they wanted
And that is all I'm saying. The Thunder could have gotten just as good of a prospect for what they needed out of a player like Harden in the latter part of the first round, saved themselves some cash, and gotten somebody more consistent. Rodrigue Beaubois fits that description perfectly.

No one wanted to trade any of their players for those 2009 picks because the 2009 draft sucked. And calling Roddy B consistent when he's played almost no minutes in the NBA is lol.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
And that is all I'm saying. The Thunder could have gotten just as good of a prospect for what they needed out of a player like Harden in the latter part of the first round, saved themselves some cash, and gotten somebody more consistent. Rodrigue Beaubois fits that description perfectly.
We actually *had* Roddy B, but Presti traded him for size.

Unfortunately, that size came in the form of BJ Mullens. :X

That's probably Presti's worst move, although it was still a low-risk one.

xnipx said:
He was the safe pick, nobody denies that. We could have done better, could have done worse. But we already have so many other pieces that it would change our lineup and rotations dramatically to put in a different type of player. And we're also in the unique position of playing him behind a defensive stopper in Sefolosha. He's not making *that* much money, and if he wants more I feel confident that Presti can get value for him like he did with Green.

I'm happy to have him on our team, and I suspect he'll continue to play this well the rest of the season, including in the playoffs.

And now, in order to avoid long arguments like this, I will begin to respond to all anti-Harden comments with "haters gonna hate."

SUPREME1

Banned
HZJ0K.gif

Credit: Lakersground.net

reilo

KingGondo said:
We actually *had* Roddy B, but Presti traded him for size.

Unfortunately, that size came in the form of BJ Mullens. :X

That's probably Presti's worst move, although it was still a low-risk one.
Aldrich, Green, were all equally terrible considering who was on the board.

I still argue the Thunder would have been better off with a line-up of:

Curry, Beaubois, Durant, Love, Noah.
Zep said:
lol at Holiday not being a better player than Harden.
I'm telling people but nobody listens.

reilo said:

You know what would be an imposing lineup?

Deron Williams
Brandon Roy
Kevin Durant
LaMarcus Aldridge
Marcus Camby

I wonder which team could have had that lineup.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
You know what would be an imposing lineup?

Deron Williams
Brandon Roy
Kevin Durant
LaMarcus Aldridge
Marcus Camby

I wonder which team could have had that lineup.
No arguments from me. I've called Portland trading down to #6 to grab Webster because they had Telfair a terrible move. Oden was still the right pick. His injuries were unprecedented, and when he was on the floor, he was great.

Man, I really, really like Eric Gordon, but for a two guard, he sure is injury-prone.

And with his home being in Indiana and public statements from his parents stating their desire for him to head back home, I honestly don't know if he will sign an extension with the Clips.

/le sigh

reilo

Adam Blade said:
Man, I really, really like Eric Gordon, but for a two guard, he sure is injury-prone.

And with his home being in Indiana and public statements from his parents stating their desire for him to head back home, I honestly don't know if he will sign an extension with the Clips.

/le sigh
But Clippers marketing department said!

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:

I think you're overrating Roddy B at this point. He has a chance to be really good, but that lineup would not stop anybody on the defensive end.

I love our frontline rotation now, having the length of Durant, Ibaka and Perkins together really makes us tough to score on.

If Aldrich is playing 10-12 MPG behind Perk and Mohammed next season, I won't consider him a bust. It takes some time for big men to develop, and he has shown signs of being a solid backup at times this season. God knows he'll be learning from one of the best in Perk.

But you'll get no argument from me on Green, he fucking sucks. But we got Perk for him, so I ain't mad.

Barrage

Adam Blade said:

/le sigh

So..you think he's going to leave LA to head back to Indiana because his Mom and Dad want him to?

Uhhhhhhhhh

Doc Holliday said:
Actually I think the bulls would be the worst matchup for tha lakers at this point. The bulls are just at as big as the lakers up front. Deng makes Kobe work on both ends, and fish can't guard Rose. Of course all this doesn't mean shit if Kobe is Kobe in the playoffs. I think it would be a long series.

Nah, SephCast already broke down why, but winning the PG matchup hasn't mattered to us for years.

I really hope it stays the way it is. Getting NO in the first round would be really great for us.

SA, OKC and Dallas are gonna have their hands full in the first round...

And if the Lakers meet the Bulls in the finals they may as well just hand Pau his FMVP on opening night.

Yea, NO is 4, maybe 5 games. I really want to see how OKC plays against another team.

But you'll get no argument from me on Green, he fucking sucks. But we got Perk for him, so I ain't mad.

I'm withholding judgement on your end until the playoffs. Nene shouldn't be a problem, but the next match-up will be.

Barrage said:
So..you think he's going to leave LA to head back to Indiana because his Mom and Dad want him to?

Uhhhhhhhhh

fat1.jpg

Well, considering it is the Clips and they're owned by that guy... yeah, I think there may be a good chance. I mean, it doesn't have to be Indiana, per se. Could be some other Leastern team as well...

My answer applies to reilo as well.

reilo

KingGondo said:
I think you're overrating Roddy B at this point. He has a chance to be really good, but that lineup would not stop anybody on the defensive end.

I love our frontline rotation now, having the length of Durant, Ibaka and Perkins together really makes us tough to score on.

If Aldrich is playing 10-12 MPG behind Perk and Mohammed next season, I won't consider him a bust. It takes some time for big men to develop, and he has shown signs of being a solid backup at times this season. God knows he'll be learning from one of the best in Perk.

Chicago isn't made up full of great defenders either, but Thibs got them at the top of the league. You'd still theoretically have Ibaka and Sefalosha, add a defensive backup PG and you'd have a roster that could play defense and cover their weaknesses collectively.

reilo said:
Chicago isn't made up full of great defenders either, but Thibs got them at the top of the league. You'd still theoretically have Ibaka and Sefalosha, add a defensive backup PG and you'd have a roster that could play defense and cover their weaknesses collectively.

OKC lost their defensive guru last year. Over the summer there were a few concerns that they'd lose some ground, and they have.

Thibs is just a really good defensive coach.

dream

Adam Blade said:

/le sigh

clippers.png

Have faith in Herr Sterling.

yes I know he's jewish

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
I agree that Presti hasn't made all of the correct picks, but who does? We're still the third-youngest squad in the league and are set up to contend for the next 5-8 years. Everything has more or less worked out.

I actually think that's the scariest part about this team: Durant and Ibaka are still 21, Westbrook is 22. Hell, Perk is just 26.

It's reasonable to expect substantial improvement based on individual player development alone.

charsace

Thunder would beast if they had a lineup of:
Curry or Lawson
Westbrook
Durant
Ibaka
Perkins
What Westbrook does is extremely valuable in today's NBA. Crazy athletic slashing 2's that bait the fuck out of fouls are more important than 20 and 10 4's that aren't defensive stoppers. Unless the 20 and 10 play is an athletic 4 that baits fouls and opposing teams are scared of his finishing ability.

I think Harden would be better off on another team where he can do his thing.

KingGondo said:
I agree that Presti hasn't made all of the correct picks, but who does? We're still the third-youngest squad in the league and are set up to contend for the next 5-8 years. Everything has more or less worked out.

I actually think that's the scariest part about this team: Durant and Ibaka are still 21, Westbrook is 22. Hell, Perk is just 26.

It's reasonable to expect substantial improvement based on individual player development alone.

Perk is 26 going on 35 with those knees and that (lack of) athleticism.

The Griz initiated and held serious contract negotiations with Zach Randolph over the past week, and both sides continue to discuss the framework of a four-year extension that could be finalized soon.

Randolph, who leads the Grizzlies with 20.1 points and 12.6 rebounds per game, would become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season if no deal is reached.

Can't believe he was untradeable only a short while ago...

Zep

Banned
charsace said:
What Westbrook does is extremely valuable in today's NBA. Crazy athletic slashing 2's that bait the fuck out of fouls

Aren't you always shitting on Wade because of this?

Sounds like Harrison Barnes is going back to school, makes sense with the lockout this year, the probable Sophomore limit next year, and the fact that he won't be a big time player in the NBA but could become incredibly famous and well-known in college basketball forever by dominating next year in college. Now Alec Burks and Kawhi are the only wing prospects in the top 20 of a draft where teams are desperate for wings.

reilo

Adam Blade said:
Can't believe he was untradeable only a short while ago...
I always thought he was capable of being a good number two or three on a playoff team had he kept his head in check and was surrounded by likeable teammates.

I'm going to be honest, I never thought that this current Memphis squad with their mental markup would be a playoff team. Far too many crazies on that team. Kudos to them.

J2 Cool

dIEHARD said:
Coming from a Jazz fan, winning the PG matchup isnt enough, trust me.

i don't think Bulls fans have any misconceptions about this. The Celtics and Heat (somehow) are the two worst matchups for the Lakers. Though the Celtics less so post-Perkins, and with a 70% possibility Shaq is out for the finals. His big body would do better against Bynum than Noah would though.

For the Bulls, I would put Kurt Thomas on Bynum much of the series actually, and maybe play some Thomas/Noah tandems for stretches. Somehow work Asik in. Tough matchup for Chicago.

Adam Blade said:

/le sigh

Hometown Pacers ftw. Mike Conley, Eric Gordon, Gordon Heyward, Josh McRoberts, and Greg Oden starting lineup 2012. Bank on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom