• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonv1

Posted yet?

http://deadspin.com/#!5783575/compiling-the-absurd-box-score-for-space-jam-or-shawn-bradley-sucked-against-cartoons-too

Tunes scored 132 points per 100 possessions. The Monstars scored 154. That's obviously impossible, since the team with the higher offensive efficiency is pretty much by definition the team that wins the game. The issue is selection bias — we see more successful Monstars' possessions in the movie. The other issue is that the movie doesn't make any sense.

• Jordan's usage rate is 44 percent, meaning he used 44 percent of his team's possessions. For comparison's sake, the NBA single-season record is Kobe's 39 percent in 2006. MJ is second at 38 percent. There were plenty of games in which Jordan actually exceeded that 44 percent usage rate. In Game 6 of the 1998 Finals, for instance, he checked in at 55 percent. This is probably the second-most realistic part of the movie.

dIEHARD said:
He's a better ball handler? Ok now i know you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

When does Millsap ever lead a fast break? gasol is definitely a better ball-handler.

Man, if Millsap is so skilled, why doesn't he perform like Dirk, gasol, etc? Don't give me this height bullshit. Barkley is 6'5 and he dominated on offense and rebounding because of his skill. Height is your crutch. Fact is, guys like Pau and Dirk are more skilled in nearly every way, that's why they perform better.

diehard

Fleer
Black Mamba said:
When does Millsap ever lead a fast break? gasol is definitely a better ball-handler.

Man, if Millsap is so skilled, why doesn't he perform like Dirk, gasol, etc? Don't give me this height bullshit. Barkley is 6'5 and he dominated on offense and rebounding because of his skill. Height is your crutch. Fact is, guys like Pau and Dirk are more skilled in nearly every way, that's why they perform better.
He leads the fast break quite often , in which we get to hear time and again how he has "guard skills" by Jazz commentators. Not to mention he has an actual crossover dribble and a spin move that Pau would be jealous of.

He isn't as skilled as Dirk, or nearly as skilled or athletic as Barkley was. I never even brought anyone into the discussion other than Pau. Claiming Pau has better handles than Millsap is downright stupid.

Black Mamba said:

PER 36

Pau: 18-10-3 on 59% TS%
Millsap: 18-8-3 on 58% TS%

What a gulf, going by normal minutes the stats are similar as well. Pau is the better defender and therefore better player, but arguing that he's more skilled because he's putting up the exact same numbers despite five inches taller is insane.

dream said:
The Cavs' intro is way cooler than it has any right to be considering...you know.
59783990.jpg

"Look at those beautiful black bodies"

dIEHARD said:
He leads the fast break quite often , in which we get to hear time and again how he has "guard skills" by Jazz commentators. Not to mention he has an actual crossover dribble and a spin move that Pau would be jealous of.

He isn't as skilled as Dirk, or nearly as skilled or athletic as Barkley was. I never even brought anyone into the discussion other than Pau. Claiming Pau has better handles than Millsap is downright stupid.

Pau dribbles between his legs and has a crossover as well. He does a dribble spin move in the post, Millsap has more of a spin move after the dribble (which is footwork, not handles).

PER 36

Pau: 18-10-3 on 59% TS%
Millsap: 18-8-3 on 58% TS%

What a gulf, going by normal minutes the stats are similar as well. Pau is the better defender and therefore better player, but arguing that he's more skilled because he's putting up the exact same numbers despite five inches taller is insane.

per 36? really? Millsap's PER is 19.9 right now, a career high. Gasol has only had one year that low, his rookie season, at 19.5. Superior in every metric out there offensively, whether it is Win shares or offensive rating or anything else. According 82games.com Gasol's "hand's ratings" are much better and I don't even know what the fuck that is! I mean, if there's a single metric that even shows the two players as close to one another, then maybe you'd have an argument.

Here's the part you're missing. Gasol is assisted on around 56% of his shots. Millsap is assisted on around 71% of his shots. In other words, Millsap gets to catch and shoot, finish, and putback rebounds a lot more than Pau. Pau has to create for himself a lot more. Creating for yourself and being just as efficient means you're more skilled than someone who has more of their offense created for them.

Okay,

Clutch scoring:

Millsap: 29 points per 48 minutes on 54% shooting in 136 crunch time minutes
Gasol: 22 points per 48 minutes on 46% shooting in 100 crunch time minutes

That's a stat where Millsap is better.

Gasol's PER is higher because he gets more blocks and rebounds which don't have to do with offense.

Millsap has like 20 amazing moves he can use in any given game and every shot he makes is insane in terms of degree of difficulty. I think that would be considered as skill.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Okay,

Clutch scoring:

Millsap: 29 points per 48 minutes on 54% shooting in 136 crunch time minutes
Gasol: 22 points per 48 minutes on 46% shooting in 100 crunch time minutes

That's a stat where Millsap is better.

Gasol's PER is higher because he gets more blocks and rebounds which don't have to do with offense.

Millsap has like 20 amazing moves he can use in any given game and every shot he makes is insane in terms of degree of difficulty. I think that would be considered as skill.

crunch time measures a very small set of minutes. Furthermore, Millsap gets 6 more shots in crunch time because he doesn't have Kobe freeze him out.

Millsap gets more steals than Pau. Pau is better because he is also a much better passer, too.

Pau shots left hand and right hand hook shots, floaters, etc. When Millsap starts shooting left hand hooks and stuff, then give me a call and we can discuss skill. Pau can do anything Millsap does on the floor, often better, plus more stuff.

Also, Millsap is assisted on 68% of clutch shots, Pau 41%. Again, Millsap has been the recipient of Deron and the Sloan offense getting him wide open looks. Pau actually uses his skill to create for himself way more often.

Black Mamba said:
crunch time measures a very small set of minutes. Furthermore, Millsap gets 6 more shots in crunch time because he doesn't have Kobe freeze him out.

Millsap gets more steals than Pau. Pau is better because he is also a much better passer, too.

Pau shots left hand and right hand hook shots, floaters, etc. When Millsap starts shooting left hand hooks and stuff, then give me a call and we can discuss skill. Pau can do anything Millsap does on the floor, often better, plus more stuff.

Also, Millsap is assisted on 68% of clutch shots, Pau 41%. Again, Millsap has been the recipient of Deron and the Sloan offense getting him wide open looks. Pau actually uses his skill to create for himself way more often.

Millsap just scored 35 without Deron and Sloan and while coming off an injury. If Kobe wasn't a chucker, Gasol's numbers would still be worse than Millsap's so that is an offensive stat where Millsap is better. Watch Millsap shoot a layup, the degree of difficulty on every one is absurd because he's five inches shorter than the guy trying to block his shot and because Millsap has poor lift. Millsap has to do hand changes, body adjustments, changes on shooting direction, and fakes on almost every layup he shoots and he can't dunk. He's the statistically best finisher in the NBA. That's just one aspect of his game.

He has a jumper, a pump fake, a blow-by, a crossover, a hesitation, a jump hook, a turn-around, a side-shimmy, a step back, And 1 Durantics and one of the most insane finishing moves ever in transition where he's sliding when catching the ball to dodge defenders and ends up near the three point line. He's incredibly skilled.

This. The Per 36 was the red flag.

Barely adjusting stats to make up for the five minute difference per game that was created with Bynum's injury definitely shows that an argument doesn't matter.

Jazz look good early on, Millsap and CJ have really picked up their D in the last few games. Harris out again with "I didn't take care of my body in New Jersey" ugh.

SamuraiX-

Cousins is so fucking stupid.

For every positive contribution he makes on the court, it's usually just followed up by something unimaginably retarded.

AK is so pathetic in this game so far outside one nice pass.

SamuraiX- said:
Cousins is so fucking stupid.

For every positive contribution he makes on the court, it's usually just followed up by something unimaginably retarded.

That's what negative offensive win shares means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom