• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlphaSnake said:
I don't think they've committed to him past this season, actually. There's some talk of 2011-2012, but nothing has been finalized. I honestly don't see him sticking around.

I think even if they get rid of Billups and have nothing but minimum players fillout the roster they will still only have like $8 million in free money...and that's assuming the cap doesn't shrink much in the next CBA.

Omiee

Kogepan said:
carmelo is one of the most overrated, one dimensional players ever. Unless you're gonna to tailor a team specifically to his skills (Nene/Affalo etc) its never gonna work. He's a horrible fit with Stoudemire.

he is young though and they could still build a team around him in 2 or 3 years.
as for now, they are fucked.

Omiee

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
In 2-3 years, Amar'e's career will be over and Melo will be leaving his prime.

thats not necessarily true, look at kobe he was in his prime in 2005 etc but he still got a championship in 09 and 10 when they build a solid team around him. Melo still has a championship in him.

dream

Omiee said:
thats not necessarily true, look at kobe he was in his prime in 2005 etc but he still got a championship in 09 and 10 when they build a solid team around him. Melo still has a championship in him.

LArefs.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Keith Bogans is 1-5 on wide open 3s tonight. Gtf off the floor.

edit: motherfucker just made one to prove me wrong.

Derwind

Ninja Scooter said:

Bahaha, oh thats horrible....

But I think it would be stupid to pull the trigger on the Knicks, they still hold a lot of promise.

But without any defensive game, they won't ever be contenders. :shrug

Bobcats 4.5 games back of Knicks for 8th seed now. Bucks will be 4.5 games back if the hold on. Bucks and Bobcats both hold tiebreaker IIRC.

reilo said:
Amare over last five...

19.2PPG, 19.2FGA (!!!), 8.8RPG, 39FG%

Wouldn't lose anything without Nash, Melo makes teammates better.

That was a wicked behind-the-back dribble from Rose with a great pass to Brewer.

And Boozer totally got away with pushing that guy under the hoop. He seems to have woken up.

Omiee said:

Melo is not anywhere near prime Kobe's level.

Problem for the Knicks is that Melo and Amare are very similar players, not just in that they both suck at defense, but also because they both love to isolate, almost from the same spot on the court, and take their man off the dribble or pull up for a jumper. That's their bread and butter and it doesn't work well together. It's similar to the problem Bron and Wade had teaming up, the difference being that Bron and Wade are elite players a step up from Melo/Amare, and have superior court vision and passing/playmaking ability to make up for it. It's going to be really hard to win a title with Melo/Amare as your 1 and 2, even if you fill out the roster, and especially with the East being so top heavy and Chicago, Boston and Miami being around the next couple of years.

I said it when it happened, but what makes the Knicks look really bad is that the Nets landed a better player in DWill just a few days later, and gave up less. We'll never know for sure, but I don't see any reason that the Knicks couldn't have gone after Deron and made up a package that the Jazz would have been happy with. Williams would have been a much better fit with Amare running pick and rolls, but it seems the Knick front office and fanbase were so hell bent on having the "hometown kid" (even though he grew up in Baltimore lol) come home and be the next Bernard King. I still think the Knicks HAD to make a move to get Melo, but everything Dolan and Walsh did was played poorly. They would make terrible poker players.

Omiee

Ninja Scooter said:
Melo is not anywhere near prime Kobe's level.

Problem for the Knicks is that Melo and Amare are very similar players, not just in that they both suck at defense, but also because they both love to isolate, almost from the same spot on the court, and take their man off the dribble or pull up for a jumper. That's their bread and butter and it doesn't work well together. It's similar to the problem Bron and Wade had teaming up, the difference being that Bron and Wade are elite players a step up from Melo/Amare, and have superior court vision and passing/playmaking ability to make up for it. It's going to be really hard to win a title with Melo/Amare as your 1 and 2, even if you fill out the roster, and especially with the East being so top heavy and Chicago, Boston and Miami being around the next couple of years.

I said it when it happened, but what makes the Knicks look really bad is that the Nets landed a better player in DWill just a few days later, and gave up less. We'll never know for sure, but I don't see any reason that the Knicks couldn't have gone after Deron and made up a package that the Jazz would have been happy with. Williams would have been a much better fit with Amare running pick and rolls, but it seems the Knick front office and fanbase were so hell bent on having the "hometown kid" (even though he grew up in Baltimore lol) come home and be the next Bernard King. I still think the Knicks HAD to make a move to get Melo, but everything Dolan and Walsh did was played poorly. They would make terrible poker players.

oh i never said he was, i was just saying that he is young and there is still a lot of time for the knicks to build a team around him/ and melo. And i have to disagree about boston still being in the top for the upcoming years. And i agree dwill playing with melo would have been fun to watch and would have resulted in a better team for the knicks.

charsace

Almost right. Walsh did not make the melo call. It was all Dolan. The trade has his finger prints all over it. They want to fix up the garden and want to make as much money as possible to do it. So Dolan flushed everything down the toilet to get the trade done. I think its the reason why Donnie has resigned yet. Even Antoni was happy with the team we had before the trade.

charsace said:
Almost right. Walsh did not make the melo call. It was all Dolan. The trade has his finger prints all over it. They want to fix up the garden and want to make as much money as possible to do it. So Dolan flushed everything down the toilet to get the trade done. I think its the reason why Donnie has resigned yet. Even Antoni was happy with the team we had before the trade.

Magic Randolph is only averaging 25-12 in the last two games.

Omiee said:
oh i never said he was, i was just saying that he is young and there is still a lot of time for the knicks to build a team around him/ and melo. And i have to disagree about boston still being in the top for the upcoming years. And i agree dwill playing with melo would have been fun to watch and would have resulted in a better team for the knicks.

But him not being as good as Kobe is why it won't be as easy to build a winner around him. That's what i'm saying, it's hard to have a built a championship team with Melo and Amare as your 1/2.

And I meant the Knicks getting DWill INSTEAD of Melo. They'd be in much better shape.

dream

There's something creepy about John Stockton leering at Courtney Vandersloot.

vandersloot.png

That's pretty amazing though.

Raja Bell has a negative BBIQ and I think everyone on the team wants to kill him at this point. He's passing up completely wide open threes and layups to covered players who aren't expecting the ball at all.

SephCast said:
Do not tell me Derrick Rose isn't the MVP. This is just absurd.

Exactly but Deng playing really well on defense late too on Salmons and Noah with some good play and a wicked screen.

But did you see Rose's eyes on that last basket he made???

THAT folks is killer instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom