• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

In the Lakers' defense, it's always fun watching Fish chase good point guards around and run into screens.

DCX

DCX
The Frankman said:
I'm interested in this Derrick Brown kid. He's 6'8 and regarded as a talented project from what I see, people in the Charlotte newspapers seemed to regret losing him. However if the Knicks do not cut anyone else/go after a 7-footer like Barron once his contract expires they will have no 7-footers on their current roster (Jerome Jordan is playing in Turkey).

shut my mouth.
We could sign him, but he wouldn't be eligible for the playoff roster.

DCX

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
300h.jpg

What he found is, the impact of free throws very much depends on the team. The Oklahoma City Thunder has, by far, the highest FT+ in the NBA. Its players shoot free throws more often than any other team (15.5 percent of possessions as of earlier this month, when the numbers in the chart were run) and, once at the line, its players score 83 percent of the time, the league’s highest rate. The Celtics rank 27th for FT+.
http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/articles/2011/02/27/a_sports_stat_is_born/

FT+hunder.

Rodeo Clown said:
I saw this headline and only thought, "God, I hope not."

I like the implication that he's somewhere in a dark room with a desklamp, reading glasses and a pencil tucked behind his ear really puzzling hard over this one, trying to find the angle where him & Darko will really gel.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
FT+hunder.
Damn right. And proud of it.

Although it's worth noting that the acquisition of Perkins makes it much less likely that we'll break the single-season NBA record for FT%.

:(

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I'm just going to leave this here. Timberwolves.com opens with this:

5490077774_0ee81a779b_z.jpg

Who needs winning when you got Wes Johnson and wisecracking interviews? Timberwolves basketball.

giri

KingGondo said:
My guess is that the deal's worth 4 years/$32 million.

Well worth it if he stays healthy.
Nah, over paid.

SephCast said:
I hate being the last post on a page, so I'm going to repost:

How has Ibaka looked as the starter so far?

bad. he fouled out early in the 4th or late 3rd, against orlando. Game was over with by then though.

KingGondo said:
I won't count the Orlando game, since he was matched up against Dwight most of the game and only played 18 minutes because of foul trouble.

I won't count the game where he did terrible.

Really, giri? Ibaka can't play center. Counting a game where he did play center out of emergency is just being dishonest.

edit: lmfao, McFlurry maybe going to Boston.

KingGondo

Banned
giri said:
I won't count the game where he did terrible.
The guy isn't a fucking center, it's not entirely surprising that he got into foul trouble and only played 18 minutes against by far the most dominant C in the league. It isn't Serge's fault we traded away our only competent starting C and were forced to play shorthanded.

When he's been given starter's minutes, he's played extremely well at PF. In my opinion, he'll approach a double-double on most nights against most teams.

dream

The Chosen One said:
But like I said, Lebron doesn't know how to play with a PG. Bibby will just be reduced to bringing the ball up the court and giving the ball back to Lebron once he crosses the half-court line.

What? No. They're inbounding to Lebron.

I'm the starting pg for the Heat in 2k11's My Player and I get to bring the ball up the court like 5 times a game.

The Chosen One said:
I'm LOLing at all the Heat players basically shitting on Arroyo.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6171168

But like I said, Lebron doesn't know how to play with a PG. Bibby will just be reduced to bringing the ball up the court and giving the ball back to Lebron once he crosses the half-court line.

"I'm an ESPN guy," Wade said of keeping up with all of the deals. "I watch it. I've got the iPad and all of that stuff. I'm on the computer so I get to see what's going on. Certain moves are surprising and unexpected. The Mike Bibby move was probably the most surprising and unexpected. A lot of people thought it was the Kendrick Perkins move. But I think it was Mike Bibby."

:lol

The Chosen One said:
I'm LOLing at all the Heat players basically shitting on Arroyo.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6171168

That's all he's good for these days and that was how he played during his early days with Sacramento. Bibby will have the already weak Heat frontline working overtime with his poor defense.

Good SGs in the 2011 draft class: ...
Good SGs in the 2012 draft class: Harrison Barnes is okay, I guess.
Good SGs in the 2013 draft class: Austin Rivers, Bradley Beal.

This position is getting so weak.

giri

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Really, giri? Ibaka can't play center. Counting a game where he did play center out of emergency is just being dishonest.

edit: lmfao, McFlurry maybe going to Boston.
Yeah, but you don't have to foul out in 20minutes or what ever it was. That was him being terrible.

KingGondo said:
The guy isn't a fucking center, it's not entirely surprising that he got into foul trouble and only played 18 minutes against by far the most dominant C in the league. It isn't Serge's fault we traded away our only competent starting C and were forced to play shorthanded.

When he's been given starter's minutes, he's played extremely well at PF. In my opinion, he'll approach a double-double on most nights against most teams.

So in normal games where he will have to sometimes gurad C's (and he will), whats the excuse then? I'm sorry, but he performed terribly. Going on a massive foul spree was a shit solution to the question. And if he got switched onto a PG like rose? is it ok to foul then ? "of course it is, he's a 4, not a 1, he only has to learn to guard 4's!". What a crock of shit.

SamuraiX- said:
Can't tell if you're trolling or not but how is $8mil/year for a top 5 defensive post man too much?

Because thats all he gives, and he's coming back from not 1, but 2 knee injuries. 8M per is over paying, particularly for someone who has such an extremely limited offensive game. I've seen him try to guard amare and get clowned, so he's not going to be able to run on the floor when other teams go small either. He's a great defender and all, but his size is a big part of what makes him a great post defender, he's basically immovable.

dream

I can't believe they're acting like Michael Bibby is a) the missing piece in the Heat "system", b) relevant.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

That's why Nick Young is going to get paid.

But why would Harrison go back to NC? No way his draft stock gets higher...he's top 10 right now. Somebody would take a shot.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Loving that Ainge has pulled through here... a lot pointing to Brewer signing with the Celts, also keeping Murphy away from the Heat. It's a matter of managing minutes at this point though. You gotta keep your starters healthy, but on top of that get Green into a role in time for the playoffs, get Murphy back in game shape. Get Shaq out there but limit his minutes. I've given up hope one JO, but maybe he can get back on the court and get in a few games before the playoffs.

giri

dream said:
I can't believe they're acting like Michael Bibby is a) the missing piece in the Heat "system", b) relevant.
Bibby is the new miller.

Can i get a shot of bibbys nipple?

And it's not like the Heat didn't already have guys that hit the long ball. House AND Arroyo were hitting at .39 or .42 or something.

But oh...dat veteran experience.

And dat offense running.

lulz

The Heat will never in the next 5 years assemble a roster much better than what they have now unless they trade Bosh, which they won't.

Luckily the Celtics just killed themselves with that trade and Haslem will make a big difference.

KingGondo

Banned
giri said:
Yeah, but you don't have to foul out in 20minutes or what ever it was. That was him being terrible.
Nobody was stopping Dwight that night. We started Collison at center. Aldrich was the only other C who was active (I don't count Byron Mullens).

So in normal games where he will have to sometimes gurad C's (and he will), whats the excuse then? I'm sorry, but he performed terribly. Going on a massive foul spree was a shit solution to the question. And if he got switched onto a PG like rose? is it ok to foul then ? "of course it is, he's a 4, not a 1, he only has to learn to guard 4's!". What a crock of shit.
You're cherrypicking way more than I am. A more sound statistical approach than looking at one game in which he started (out of position) and did poorly is looking at what he does when he's given starter's minutes at PF. That didn't happen much before Green left, but it's almost uniformly good. Dude is a double-double waiting to happen, and he'll be a block machine playing next to Perk.

And assuming that Perk and Nazr stay healthy (and Aldrich continues to improve), he won't have to guard centers very much, if at all. And when those guys are out, Collison will do spot work.

Because thats all he gives, and he's coming back from not 1, but 2 knee injuries. 8M per is over paying, particularly for someone who has such an extremely limited offensive game. I've seen him try to guard amare and get clowned, so he's not going to be able to run on the floor when other teams go small either. He's a great defender and all, but his size is a big part of what makes him a great post defender, he's basically immovable.
Presti balanced the risk of him reinjuring the knee with his potential impact, and the fact still remains that if you want inside presence in the NBA, you simply have to pay for it. His potential impact is helping us get over the hump into true contention. If our medical staff checked him out and thinks he's ok, then I just have to trust them. We're the same team that sent Tyson Chandler back to New Orleans because of a bad toe. I'm sure they were a *tad* more careful when dealing with knee injuries like Perk had.

Look around the league at some of the other contracts and tell me Perkins is overpaid. Any potential move is a risk, but if he stays healthy there's every indication that he can be a huge part of getting us over the hump from "good team" to "great team." It's not a sure thing, but very few moves in the NBA are.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Bread said:
I love how they can't even fill it up with quality reasons, they had to put "Fans in the arena" and "Reasons to buy tickets".
It's hilarity all around. I like how they show Wes Johnson instead of Kevin Love, the team's first all-star since Garnett.

And there's no mention of winning or competitiveness. Well, at least they're honest about that.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Eh you never know. Manu was drafted 58th in the draft after all.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Rodeo Clown said:
I'm just going to leave this here. Timberwolves.com opens with this:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5490077774_0ee81a779b_z.jpg[/IMG

Who needs winning when you got Wes Johnson and wisecracking interviews? Timberwolves basketball.[/QUOTE]
Some of the reasons literally say "Noise" and "Tweeting".

SamuraiX-

giri said:

He also crashes the boards, can finish strong, and is just an overall force in the paint. He's big but he also plays his roll extremely effectively and doesn't just stand around. And teams like Amar'''e's don't get far in the Playoffs. We both know that it's more about size and controlled tempo when you're talking about advancing through the post season. Injuries or not, he's worth what he's getting paid right now. Once he hits double digits in the millions is when I would agree with you.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Dark FaZe said:
And it's not like the Heat didn't already have guys that hit the long ball. House AND Arroyo were hitting at .39 or .42 or something.

But oh...dat veteran experience.

And dat offense running.

lulz

The Heat will never in the next 5 years assemble a roster much better than what they have now unless they trade Bosh, which they won't.

Luckily the Celtics just killed themselves with that trade and Haslem will make a big difference.

I still don't buy that the Celts "killed themselves" with this trade. Why if they were 23-4 without Perk do they need him to win? I understand with him you have quite a bit of depth if you have a healthy shaq here, but now with these offensive big men, and the possibilities of mixing and matching including- KG at center, Green at the 4, Murphy at the 4/5, Krstic at Center, and even a healthy JO. A second unit that consists of- Delonte, Brewer, Green, Murphy, and Krstic, is better than a handful of starting teams out there. You can choose to go defensive/offensive, big/small. This trade got rid of dead weight in- Nate Robinson, Semi, Harrangody, and Daniels. Tons of depth, and if healthy a ton of big men. If they're healthy they're still IMO out in front.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Something had to give. The PG position was real weak for a while.

Sanjuro

The Celtics "killed themselves with that trade"? Right....

That takes some fucking revisionist history to tell me that Nate Robinson and Kendrick Perkins are both gods among men.

I am still on a trip, I am so out of it in terms of news. So we let go of Arroyo and got Bibby. I dont know what to feel, will this do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom