• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seda said:
I don't really post much in these threads, but I follow the Chicago teams pretty much religiously. I just don't post a whole lot.

I don't think I've ever posted in the MLB thread.
Same here. I just usually lurk the sport threads. I did post more often in here last year though. Hell I barely post on gaf at all.

dream said:
You thought 2 was better than 4?

edit: dammit Mamba, talk about video games
Yeah, I thought it was. Something about just how ridiculous the story is got to me. I will say though, I wish all of them were remade with 4's control scheme.

SamuraiX- said:
We should save all the MGS talk for after the games.

Didn't know there were so many fans here. hah

Not sure why but sometimes it irks me when this place discusses videogames even if it's only for a few pages.

I guess I am one of the only ones that is burnt out going to the gaming side often.

Black Mamba said:
The problem is the classification of what a post-up is. Sorry, Lebron catching the ball 20 feet out, then turning to his back, then running to the paint with a running jump hook is not a post-up. Neither is catching with his back to the basket, turning to the basket, dribbling left and taking a step back.
If we limit post-ups to only classic post moves, I suspect even players like Kobe only average 60 - 80 of those per year. It's a sad situation, but that's the game now.

SamuraiX-

Red Blaster said:
My username should be obvious to TRU FANZ of the series.

OH SHHIIIII-

Mind. Fucking. Blown.

Can't believe I never put that together.

Portland showing up!

Meaning they'll choke in the 4th quarter if the first two games are any indication. :(

J2 Cool

SoulPlaya said:
Who are these Bulls LLLs you talk about? Yeah, there are a few, but it's inevitable. Let's be real folks, the vast majority of NBA-GAF is nothing but fans of consistently winning teams (Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Thunder, Knicks [not constantly winning, but it's a NY team, and thus, a huge population], and now Bulls).

It's NBA-GAF.

This is mostly true, with a few lone wolfs, or in SamuraiX's case: free agents. Where is Eminem, MrBob, jakncoke, and the usual Chicago crew at? I could have swore they're all Bulls fans. Guzim is too, but I think he only comments during games.

Red Blaster said:
MGS4 is the Derrick Rose of video games.

Great game play, boring story, great nostalgia (Jordan-Shadow Moses)? Yeah, I'd agree.

Zep

Banned
Blackface said:
Bosh was apparently screening for Lebron by being behind Brand and another player.
Alright saw the play again...It was Anthony screening for Lebron. I'm still right though that nobody was around Lebron. Easiest 2 points lebron got and it was in the 4th. I still have no clue what you were bitching about.

SamuraiX- said:
It's gotta be a tie for me between the MGS2 main theme and the MGS4 main theme.

So much epic packed into so few minutes.

MGS2 is the true theme song of the series for me (it was also in mgs1 but during the credits) So sad they can't use it anymore.

SamuraiX- said:
It's gotta be a tie for me between the MGS2 main theme and the MGS4 main theme.

So much epic packed into so few minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKA4b5SFq4
Big_boss_salute.jpg

The Stealth Fox

I'm going to be honest here though, I'm tired of MGS after following it since 1998.

It was a fun ride from the beginning but you can just boil every story down to the same formula.

OH SO TURNS OUT YOU'VE BEEN LIED TO AND BACKSTABBED AND NOW IT'S ALL OVER AND THERE'S SOMEONE WHO CONTROLS EVERYTHING AND WATCHES YOUR EVERY MOVE SO YOUR GAME WAS A WASTE OF TIME.

It's a bit tiring now. Fun while it lasted though.

The Stealth Fox said:
I'm going to be honest here though, I'm tired of MGS after following it since 1998.

It was a fun ride from the beginning but you can just boil every story down to the same formula.

OH SO TURNS OUT YOU'VE BEEN LIED TO AND BACKSTABBED AND NOW IT'S ALL OVER AND THERE'S SOMEONE WHO CONTROLS EVERYTHING AND WATCHES YOUR EVERY MOVE SO YOUR GAME WAS A WASTE OF TIME.

You can't tell me Rising doesn't look hot.

Iron E Man said:
Same here. I just usually lurk the sport threads. I did post more often in here last year though. Hell I barely post on gaf at all.

That's why we give Triple Ls that roll in here yapping come playoff time a hard time.

If you "usually lurk" why should that change when your team is doing well in the playoffs?

Oh right, because now it's safe.

Same ole story though...either the Heat or the Bulls (or both) will get eliminated and then their newly minted rabid fanbase will slink back into "lurking full time" again until the next go round.

Same shit, different year.

The Stealth Fox

MidnightCowboy said:
You can't tell me Rising doesn't look hot.
It doesn't. It's not even made by Kojima.

The only thing that would get me interested is a return to the indoor fortress type stealth with keycards and bathroom jokes.

I'm tired of Kojima trying to change things up constantly. Just go back to the basics because we've been away from them for so long.

SamuraiX-

DAT MAVS DEFENSE lulz

The Stealth Fox said:

Sure, but you can't lie, the presentation makes the reused formula awesome no matter even if you know what's coming.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
So is he situationally clumsy to you or does he need to work on his footwork in general???

I think he just thinks too much. He catches it and then runs in his head what he wants to do rather than react to the situation itself. It's not a natural thing. He was trying to figure out what to do that last play, then panicked when he saw the double coming even though the step through was set-up.

I don't think he has clumsy feet. It's just that he has no natural feel for what to do and instead is thinking about what to do.

Good thing Matthews didn't play much in game 1, eh Reilo?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
ryutaro's mama said:
That's why we give Triple Ls that roll in here yapping come playoff time a hard time.

If you "usually lurk" why should that change when your team is doing well in the playoffs?

Oh right, because now it's safe.

Same ole story though...either the Heat or the Bulls (or both) will get eliminated and then their newly minted rabid fanbase will slink back into "lurking full time" again until the next go round.

Same shit, different year.
The same thing would probably happen to Lakers' fans, if they weren't competing practically every year.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Black Mamba said:
Good thing Matthews didn't play much in game 1, eh Reilo?
He would have if he tied a franchise record for playoff three pointers in a quarter instead of the one field-goal he made all game.

SamuraiX-

I don't understand why LMA can't play better defense on Dirk.

He has the same type of finesse game as Dirk which should naturally transfer to his defense. He also has pretty good length so he should be able to contest every shot, right?

Or maybe it doesn't matter because it's fucking Dirk. lol

The Stealth Fox

SamuraiX- said:
DAT MAVS DEFENSE lulz

Sure, but you can't lie, the presentation makes the reused formula awesome no matter even if you know its coming.

I guess. I'm not implying that MGS is an immature series, but growing up has really dampened it's impact.

Especially when you realize that there's a lot of bad science in it.

You can take 15 diazepam pills in a row in the game and not go into severe respiratory depression in MGS1. Half-assed research, lulz.

The Stealth Fox said:
It doesn't. It's not even made by Kojima.

The only thing that would get me interested is a return to the indoor fortress type stealth with keycards and bathroom jokes.

I'm tired of Kojima trying to change things up constantly. Just go back to the basics because we've been away from them for so long.

Didn't you just say you're tired of the formula used since 1998. Go back to mgs.org hater.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
SamuraiX- said:

He has the same time of finesse game as Dirk which should naturally transfer to his defense. He also has pretty good length so he should be able to contest every shot, right?

Did you see how Dirk made that shot? He was on one foot fading backwards. He didn't even jump and fadeaway. That shot is ridiculous for any other player but Dirk. To his credit, he makes them.

SamuraiX- said:

He has the same time of finesse game as Dirk which should naturally transfer to his defense. He also has pretty good length so he should be able to contest every shot, right?

It's really hard to guard Dirk, just because of his shot. It's always a fadeaway. There's really no one who can guard him. But fuckin Wes Matthews is goin off....

SoulPlaya said:
The same thing would probably happen to Lakers' fans, if they weren't competing practically every year.

I'll be here win or lose. Of course, I'm hoping I don't have to prove it.

If we limit post-ups to only classic post moves, I suspect even players like Kobe only average 60 - 80 of those per year. It's a sad situation, but that's the game now.

Well, it's true. Kobe has not posted and shot that many times as the article claims. I've seen all but maybe 1 or 2 games this year and that number is preposterous. He is posting up a lot less this season as well.

Lebron at that number is silly. Heck, watch some of the replays. Calling some of those post-ups is an insult to post-ups. They are basically wing isos.

There are less isos because zones are legal and guards are pretty much untouchable. Posting up has become less efficient over big quantities.

He would have if he tied a franchise record for playoff three pointers in a quarter instead of the one field-goal he made all game.

By all game you mean 16 minutes.

reilo said:
Did you see how Dirk made that shot? He was on one foot fading backwards. He didn't even jump and fadeaway. That shot is ridiculous for any other player but Dirk. To his credit, he makes them.

There really is no way to defend that shot.

ryutaro's mama said:
If you posted here more often, you wouldn't be.

We've debated Scar vs. Jafar, ffs.
How the fuck is that even a debate. Scar wins by a country mile. I recently saw Aladdin and it doesn't hold up. Lion King is an all time great however.

The Stealth Fox

MidnightCowboy said:
How the fuck is that even a debate. Scar wins by a country mile. I recently saw Aladdin and it doesn't hold up. Lion King is an all time great however.
You just hate racist depictions of middle eastern culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom