• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
zychi said:
I totally agree, but "carrying his team" also hurt him in my eyes. When he had to take the load the Lakers didn't win. He had to pass the load onto Gasol, or Shaq. I have Clyde up higher then Kobe because Clyde played a better overall NBA. He played in the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Bulls dynasties era. Kobe's been in 7 of the 1x title games since he's been in the league, and was the finals mvp in 09 and 10(and he was handed this one because Gasol deserved it more). And the only other teams to win titles are Duncan's, Wade's(old Shaq), Detroit(who beat an old Shaq and a "carrying the load Kobe") and the Celtics(who beat Kobe).
Kobe is also playing in the "don't touch me I'll flop" era of the NBA, where Clyde played with the hard fouling Pistons and shitty wood floor arenas.
Clyde had it harder then Kobe did, which, right now makes it Clyde>Kobe SG wise for me.

So Clyde is better because everyone AROUND him (Jordan, Magic, Bulls, the Pistons, the Lakers) did great things, but he didn't, so by proxy that makes him great? Makes sense. Also the West was actually secretly kinda weak during Clyde's career, which is why the Lakers made the Finals like 9 times in that span. And Clyde himself didn't make it to the Finals until Magic got HIV and the teams started getting even weaker.

Also like I said, Kobe having a great teammate is always a knock. He's the only guy that argument is used against. Like Scottie didn't pick up a ton of the "slack" for Michael, or Worthy for Magic, or McHale for Bird, or shit, Kobe for Shaq.

Pau is getting abused by Landry. Phil simply won't order the switch. This is fucking stupid.

Fuck Bellinelli and his 2 3s. Plays like ass all series and comes through in game 5 on the road?

Doomsayer

Ninja Scooter said:
So Clyde is better because everyone AROUND him (Jordan, Magic, Bulls, the Pistons, the Lakers) did great things, but he didn't, so by proxy that makes him great? Makes sense. Also the West was actually secretly kinda weak during Clyde's career, which is why the Lakers made the Finals like 9 times in that span. And Clyde himself didn't make it to the Finals until Magic got HIV and the teams started getting even weaker.

Also like I said, Kobe having a great teammate is always a knock. He's the only guy that argument is used against. Like Scottie didn't pick up a ton of the "slack" for Michael, or Worthy for Magic, or McHale for Bird, or shit, Kobe for Shaq.

Boom. Thank you, Scooter.

Anyone who thinks Shaq didn't need help either, is crazy.

dream said:
THE TRUE SUSPECT FACE OF LAKERS-AGE
no shit sherlock.
spritebj.gif

Doomsayer

Ninja Scooter said:
goddamn Kobe is putting these fuckers on his back. Pau's performance is just pitiful. This is the worst I've seen him play in a 5 game stretch.

That obviously is going to put him a slot lower on the all-time SG list for zychi. He shouldn't be carrying his team.

Ninja Scooter said:
goddamn Kobe is putting these fuckers on his back. Pau's performance is just pitiful. This is the worst I've seen him play in a 5 game stretch.

Continuing the recent trend of Laker aggravators joining the crew (Artest, Barnes, almost Raja Bell). Somehow Landry will have a gold jersey on next year.

Doomsayer said:
That obviously is going to put him a slot lower on the all-time SG list for zychi. He shouldn't be carrying his team.

Meanwhile Pau is moving up the all time PF list, I mean, Garnett, Duncan, Dwight, Shaq...look at all these great players he plays against!

zychi

Banned
Your exact argument against Clyde can be made for Kobe.

Ninja Scooter said:
So Kobe is better because everyone AROUND him (Nash, Lebron, Shaq, Spurs, the other 60 win teams) did great things, but he didn't, so by proxy that makes him great? Makes sense. Also the West was actually secretly kinda weak during Kobe's career(Mavs fail, Suns fail, weak Jazz, old Spurs) which is why the Lakers made the Finals like 6 times in that span. And Kobe himself didn't make it to the Finals without Shaq until Duncan got old and hurt and the teams started getting even weaker.

J2 Cool

We're watching a game 7 here basically. The door is shut for New Orleans when they lose this. LA is finally getting into playoff form.

zychi said:
Your exact argument against Clyde can be made for Kobe.

Kobe did great things. He won 3 rings as the 2nd best player and 2 more as the best. The list of guys that can claim that is about 3 or 4 players long, and Clyde ain't on it. Clyde made it to two Finals and got waxed in both of them. That's it. I'm not using how great Kobe's peers were to prove that he was great, he stands on his own. You can argue how good Clyde's comp or his peers were, but great players will find a way to be great in any era. Russell, Duncan, Jeffrey, Magic, Bird and YES, even Kobe, the all time great winners, they wouldn't need people to make excuses for why they didn't accomplish great things, because they would have ALWAYS accomplished great things. Clyde ain't in that arena, buddy.

J2 Cool said:
We're watching a game 7 here basically. The door is shut for New Orleans when they lose this. LA is finally getting into playoff form.

Yea... no. Was LA not in 'playoff' form in game 3? With this team you don't know if they're gonna blow their opponent out or lose by 10.

Gigglepoo

Drexler vs. Kobe may be the dumbest head-to-head fight I've seen this season. Please stop.

J2 Cool said:

I don't think anyone thinks the Hornets can actually win this series. But it is fun watching this undermanned team go toe-to-toe with one of the elite teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom