• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doomsayer said:
It's a "bad" call because it was wrong. They advanced the ball and then called a timeout, then he proceeds to step into the backcourt. That is a fucking backcourt. If you don't think it is you obviously don't know the rules or are a complete homer.

I'm asking because everyone who actually covers basketball for a living seems to think otherwise. That's all.

Let me rephrase that. Everyone who covers basketball for a living who has actually talked about it seems to think otherwise.

Doomsayer

StickSoldier said:
I'm asking because everyone who actually covers basketball for a living seems to think otherwise. That's all.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that they advanced the ball then called a timeout. You can not throw into the backcourt in that situation.

edit: Had they called a timeout to advance, they would've been able to throw it in the backcourt.

Doomsayer said:
Everyone seems to be forgetting that they advanced the ball then called a timeout. You can not throw into the backcourt in that situation.

edit: Had they called a timeout to advance, they would've been able to throw it in the backcourt.

I don't know the rules to that extent, actually. I just thought they called it a back court violation at first because he was on the line/backcourt. But it's a pretty huge fuck up if that's true.

Doomsayer said:

Thank you.

That´s what i was saying. I don´t know for sure, because they might have changed for this season, but i´m mad because everyone is only looking if he had momentum going or not and that´s totally not the point.

seattle6418 said:
It was a out of bounds play, it was a timeout, called after the Thunder had advanced the ball.

I´m surprised nobody has picked up on this, if the rules haven´t changed, you can´t go backcourt on a situation like that, in which you advanced the ball dribbling and called a timeout.

It wasn´t a dead ball situation in which advancing and then going back is allowed.

I´m 99% sure the rule hasn´t changed.

It´s not a dead ball play, so your rule quote doesn´t apply.

Dude, the rule says on ANY INBOUNDS PLAY in the final 2 minutes. It doesn't matter if it's a deadball or not. You can ALWAYS inbound it into the backcourt in the final 2 minutes.

Just to re-post it here.

e. Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt. On all backcourt and midcourt violations, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line, and must be passed into the frontcourt.
EXCEPTION: During the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period, the ball may be passed anywhere (frontcourt or backcourt) on the court..

Ninja Scooter said:
5662811852_89896a11fb_o.gif

Men on Film: NBA Edition.

Hey look, he dances too!

I also rather not make any comments.

Also:

If a regular or mandatory timeout is awarded the offensive team during the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period and (1) the ball is out-of-bounds in the backcourt (except for a suspension of play), or (2) after securing the ball from a rebound and prior to any advance of the ball, or (3) after securing the ball from a change of possession and prior to any advance of the ball, the timeout shall be granted. Upon resumption of play, the team granted the timeout shall have the option of putting the ball into play at the 28' hash mark in the frontcourt, or at the designated spot out-of-bounds. If the ball is put into play at the hash mark, the ball may be passed into either the frontcourt or backcourt. If the ball is passed into the backcourt, the team will receive a new 8-second count. However, once the ball is (1) thrown in from out-of-bounds, or (2) dribbled or passed after receiving it from a rebound or a change of possession, the timeout shall be granted, and, upon resumption of play, the ball shall be in-bounded on the side- line where play was interrupted. The time on the game clock and the 24-second clock shall remain as when the timeout was called. In order for the option to be available under the conditions in paragraph #2 above, the offensive team must call two successive timeouts.

Boom. I guess I didn't know the rules as well I thought. Sorry Thunder fans!

Is that last exception a new rule, or?

I think it's fairly recent, not sure exactly.

edit: according to nba.com, 2000-01 is when the rule changed.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Red Blaster said:
95% of people who cover basketball for a living are the morons anyway.

negative

They get paid to watch games. I have to pay $200 a year for LP to do the same thing.

Black Mamba said:
Dude, the rule says on ANY INBOUNDS PLAY in the final 2 minutes. It doesn't matter if it's a deadball or not. You can ALWAYS inbound it into the backcourt in the final 2 minutes.

It does matter. when they introduced the rule that would let you throw it to the backcourt, it was specific for timeout plays when you called the timeout on the backcourt and advanced to halfcourt.

A dead ball is one thing, and a timeout is a different situation.

When the rules states that "any inbound play", it means any regular inbound out of a foul, deflection and stuff. It wasn´t applied to those situations during timeouts called past halfcourt.

We do know this was not possible in recent past, what we were discussing is if it was changed for this season or not.

It´s a very small detail, but it´s not some misunderstanding from our part (the people calling out backcourt).

I´ll try to look at that tomorrow to see if i can find anything specific on the rulebook about calling timeouts and inbounding the ball after timeouts.

Zeke said:
they are drinking corona god thats disgusting

Could be worse. Could be Bud Light. Eww.

Anyway, I wonder wtf crazy things Pop will do with the rotation next game. Bonner got 20 minutes, Splitter 15, and Blair 0.

Bonner has no confidence in his shot right now. The whole reason he's in the game (its not for his efense. That's right efense. Because Bonner has no D) is to space the floor. But it seems everytime he catches the ball at the 3 point line, he takes 3 or 4 awkward, cringe inducing dribbles towards the lane and passes it to someone else.

If he's not going to at least shoot the 3, than Blair and Splitter might as well take his minutes. Their defense is as good or better than Bonner's, and they might draw some cheap fouls on Gasol and ZBo

Black Mamba said:
Also:

I think it's fairly recent, not sure exactly.

edit: according to nba.com, 2000-01 is when the rule changed.

So, to complete the other post: (I don´t know how to multiquote).

The situation you stated is exactly what i knew and it applies to situations PRIOR to the advance of the ball.

When Brooks called the timeout, his team was on the offense, ready to take a shot. Under the rules we know, the ensuing inbound could not be thrown to the backcourt, because the timeout was called with the ball already advanced.

Once again, it´s a small detail, not covered in the aformentioned quotes.

seattle6418 said:
It does matter. when they introduced the rule that would let you throw it to the backcourt, it was specific for timeout plays when you called the timeout on the backcourt and advanced to halfcourt.

A dead ball is one thing, and a timeout is a different situation.

When the rules states that "any inbound play", it means any regular inbound out of a foul, deflection and stuff. It wasn´t applied to those situations during timeouts called past halfcourt.

We do know this was not possible in recent past, what we were discussing is if it was changed for this season or not.

It´s a very small detail, but it´s not some misunderstanding from our part (the people calling out backcourt).

I´ll try to look at that tomorrow to see if i can find anything specific on the rulebook about calling timeouts and inbounding the ball after timeouts.

No, even on timeouts called in the frotcourt.

It's says on ANY inbounds in the FiNAL 2 minutes. I've seen this done for years, so it's not like this is the first time it's happened. You're right except in the final 2 minutes.

The only question is whether he went to the frontcourt first.

e. Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt. On all backcourt and midcourt violations, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line, and must be passed into the frontcourt.
EXCEPTION: During the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period, the ball may be passed anywhere (frontcourt or backcourt) on the court.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8.html?nav=ArticleList

There is no distinction made between how the ball got there.

edit: my other post was to clarify it works on timeouts from the backcourt as well.

Zeke

obijkenobi said:
Could be worse. Could be Bud Light. Eww.

Anyway, I wonder wtf crazy things Pop will do with the rotation next game. Bonner got 20 minutes, Splitter 15, and Blair 0.

Bonner has no confidence in his shot right now. The whole reason he's in the game (its not for his efense. That's right efense. Because Bonner has no D) is to space the floor. But it seems everytime he catches the ball at the 3 point line, he takes 3 or 4 awkward, cringe inducing dribbles towards the lane and passes it to someone else.

If he's not going to at least shoot the 3, than Blair and Splitter might as well take his minutes. Their defense is as good or better than Bonner's, and they might draw some cheap fouls on Gasol and ZBo
agreed I have more faith in Novak draining 3's at this point. Splitter has been great in the last two games in this series. Blair and Splitter sounds nice hopefully pop does it. I think Blair could really help on the boards too he's been pretty solid all season long.

Black Mamba said:
No, even on timeouts called in the frotcourt.

It's says on ANY inbounds in the FiNAL 2 minutes. I've seen this done for years, so it's not like this is the first time it's happened. You're right except in the final 2 minutes.

The only question is whether he went to the frontcourt first.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8.html?nav=ArticleList

There is no distinction made between how the ball got there.

edit: my other post was to clarify it works on timeouts from the backcourt as well.

Yep, it´s clear now, my mind is still in 2001 i guess. It is what it is for the Nuggets. Late at night, past 3 a.m here, i guess that why i´m stuck with old rules in my head.

no worries. I sometimes forget they changed the rule. I actually think this one was changed more recently (the timeouts in '01) but I can't find confirmation.

I don't like the rule. I think you shouldn't get that right in the final 2 minutes if the possession already was established in the front court.

The M.O.B

giri said:
Daym, we could see 3 7 game series out west. That'd be nuts.
No way does NOH take the series to 7 games.....Unless Okafor decides he is tired of getting his man-hood taken by every laker this series.

ryutaro's mama said:
Oh Grizz.

I think you guys may have lost the series tonight.

I may be wrong...but I doubt it.

I'm thinking they're saying "we nearly took out the Spurs in their house in a must-win game for them. We got this back home."

Unlike Atlanta who spread their legs for the magic waiting to come back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom