• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerD

I am very happy to say that I was at the game when the Thunder franchise won its first playoff series. During the half I watched the last 30 seconds of the Grizz and Spurs. That was just disgusting. Gary Neal is a bad man.

Our guys know how hard it is to closeout somebody now. The playoffs is serious business.

Durant was just incredible.

Go FThunder go! :)

linsivvi

Black Mamba said:
No, even on timeouts called in the frotcourt.

It's says on ANY inbounds in the FiNAL 2 minutes. I've seen this done for years, so it's not like this is the first time it's happened. You're right except in the final 2 minutes.

The only question is whether he went to the frontcourt first.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8.html?nav=ArticleList

There is no distinction made between how the ball got there.

edit: my other post was to clarify it works on timeouts from the backcourt as well.

No I think there is a distinction.

If a regular or mandatory timeout is awarded the offensive team during the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period and

(1) the ball is out-of-bounds in the backcourt (except for a suspension of play), or
(2) after securing the ball from a rebound and prior to any advance of the ball, or
(3) after securing the ball from a change of possession and prior to any advance of the ball, the timeout shall be granted.

Upon resumption of play, the team granted the timeout shall have the option of putting the ball into play at the 28' hash mark in the frontcourt, or at the designated spot out-of-bounds. If the ball is put into play at the hash mark, the ball may be passed into either the frontcourt or backcourt. If the ball is passed into the backcourt, the team will receive a new 8-second count.

However, once the ball is (1) thrown in from out-of-bounds, or (2) dribbled or passed after receiving it from a rebound or a change of possession, the timeout shall be granted, and, upon resumption of play, the ball shall be in-bounded on the sideline where play was interrupted.

This is the section that governs timeout situations, and it's quite explicitly stating that you can only pass the ball back to the backcourt if it's put into play at the hash mark, which is not the case here.

Anyway, it doesn't matter who's right. The outcome of the game and the series still won't change.

linsivvi said:
No I think there is a distinction.

This is the section that governs timeout situations, and it's quite explicitly stating that you can only pass the ball back to the backcourt if it's put into play at the hash mark, which is not the case here.

Anyway, it doesn't matter who's right. The outcome of the game and the series still won't change.

That relates to moving the ball to the halfcourt.

The other thing i posted talks about out of bounds in the front court regardless of why it's out of bounds. You can throw it in from the baseline to the backcourt too. In fact, I saw this in a Laker game this season.

Dream - are you telling me that isn't Rajon Rondo in the gif? I'm confused.

linsivvi

Black Mamba said:
That relates to moving the ball to the halfcourt.

The other thing i posted talks about out of bounds in the front court regardless of why it's out of bounds. You can throw it in from the baseline to the backcourt too. In fact, I saw this in a Laker game this season.

This relates to where you can throw the ball during time-in plays, which is different from out of bound plays. They are two different things according to NBA rules.

zychi

Banned
The great thing about this argument, is that it occurred again in this game besides the "he stepped on the line" part. The final shot Durant made he was running from the back court to the front court and hit backdoor on whoever was covering him. If he couldn't get the ball inbounded towards the backcourt, why was he and someone else(i don't remember who it was but i'm pretty sure it was RW) running around in the back court? The ball was already put into the front court prior to this play.

linsivvi said:
This relates to where you can throw the ball during time-in plays, which is different from out of bound plays. They are two different things according to NBA rules.

Correct, but in the Final 2 minutes, the ball may always be inbounded to anywhere, although the ball may not always be advanced/moved.

Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt. On all backcourt and midcourt violations, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line, and must be passed into the frontcourt.
EXCEPTION: During the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period, the ball may be passed anywhere (frontcourt or backcourt) on the court.

The great thing about this argument, is that it occurred again in this game besides the "he stepped on the line" part. The final shot Durant made he was running from the back court to the front court and hit backdoor on whoever was covering him. If he couldn't get the ball inbounded towards the backcourt, why was he and someone else(i don't remember who it was but i'm pretty sure it was RW) running around in the back court? The ball was already put into the front court prior to this play.

Excellent point.

Black Mamba said:
I'm thinking they're saying "we nearly took out the Spurs in their house in a must-win game for them. We got this back home."

Unlike Atlanta who spread their legs for the magic waiting to come back home.

They can say whatever they want to say.

Point is, this is a 1 game series now for the 5pur5, just like last June when the Lakers came back down 3-2.

Win Game 6 and the home crowd should help carry you across the finishline in Game 7.

ryutaro's mama said:

Point is, this is a 1 game series now for the 5pur5, just like last June when the Lakers came back down 3-2.

Win Game 6 and the home crowd should help carry you across the finishline in Game 7.

I agree, if it goes 7 it's Spurs. All I'm saying is I think that the way Memphis played tonight makes me believe they will close at home (I didn't think they'd have a chance to win tonight). They played with the right mentality of trying to put them out now. They got very unlucky, but earned it. Atlanta simply gave the game away thinking it will win at home, and I think it will doom them.

numble

ryutaro's mama said:

Lakers did have the home court for 6 and 7 though.
I think it would have been worse if the loss was on the Grizzlies' home floor. Game 4 of Finals in 2008. Game 6 of LA v. Phoenix in 2006. Game 5 of LA v. Spurs Semifinals in 2004.

exarkun

The spurs won because the supposed "good" players they have finally stepped up a little (outside the big three) and manu had a great game. Gonna say that the Spurs are done for, as hard as it is to say since most of my spurs friends are nice.

Manu can't have another good game like that, Duncan went back to looking a bit old, and Neal/Hill/whoever else other than the big three just look bad. They've been exposed, and honestly I'm kind of surprised because of how much heart they played with during the season. Their scrubs (yes, thats what Neal/Hill are), with the way they have played the last few games wouldn't even make the Rox starting squad. Even if Spurs get past the Grizzlies, they are gonna get spanked by OKC unless the people outside of their 3 can have better than middling games all the time.

The saddest thing? My really good friend who is the nicest person/biggest Spurs fan for a loooong time is the one who pointed that out to me with a very dejected look on his face.

exarkun

Zeke said:
sounds like you should have slapped the taste out his mouth

Nah man, can't do it. He was realllll down after game 4. Like sad and kind of broken. Dunno what happened to the team but they don't look anything like the team that I watched in person 3 times this season (two Rockets, one Mavs). Bonner looks like a lost white man (wheres Wilson?), Neal/Hill are interchangeably mediocre, and Jefferson disappeared.

We pushed you to the limit twice this regular season, very high energy and skillful play on both sides. Sidenote, jesus Spurs fans travel well or something cause all three times the spurs contingency was at least 45% of the arena when they should have been away. Now though? No energy, stagnancy has set in, and its like a different team is out there.

Zeke

exarkun said:
Nah man, can't do it. He was realllll down after game 4. Like sad and kind of broken. Dunno what happened to the team but they don't look anything like the team that I watched in person 3 times this season (two Rockets, one Mavs). Bonner looks like a lost white man (wheres Wilson?), Neal/Hill are interchangeably mediocre, and Jefferson disappeared.

We pushed you to the limit twice this regular season, very high energy and skillful play on both sides. Sidenote, jesus Spurs fans travel well or something cause all three times the spurs contingency was at least 45% of the arena when they should have been away. Now though? No energy, stagnancy has set in, and its like a different team is out there.
bonner always shrinks in the playoffs obi and myself have been saying that. Neal and Hill are still young hell Neal is rookie ffs. We have a big in Splitter and his game has improved so much from when he first got here. Grizz gave us hell in the regular season. I knew grizz would be really tough in the playoffs too. People need to give the grizz their respect they play tough ball they aren't some push over.

numble said:
Lakers did have the home court for 6 and 7 though.
I think it would have been worse if the loss was on the Grizzlies' home floor. Game 4 of Finals in 2008. Game 6 of LA v. Phoenix in 2006. Game 5 of LA v. Spurs Semifinals in 2004.

But what I'm saying still holds--Spurs aren't completely overmatched here.

All they have to do is get this one game and give themselves a chance to get back toe Sam Am Tonio.

Puddles

Banned
lawlohwhat said:
fedex me a double double? in-n-out is the only redeeming quality of los angeles.

Fuck off with that shit, Tommy's is amazing. Can't wait to go there in June; it'll have been 18 months since I was in California. There's gonna be a fricking tornado sweeping over the corner of Rampart and Beverly.

Puddles said:
Fuck off with that shit, Tommy's is amazing. Can't wait to go there in June; it'll have been 18 months since I was in California. There's gonna be a fricking tornado sweeping over the corner of Rampart and Beverly.

The Original there still tastes better than all the others. I like Carney's train as well.

Sometimes you just get that need for a chiliburger.

rc213

Puddles said:
I'll go eat one in your honor right now.

overcast

Tommy's is so damn good. I have some fond memories of that place. So is in-n-out.

As a side note. Have any LA gaffers been to Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock? Place has some delicious italian food.

Puddles

Banned
Kevin Durant has been the greatest player in the first round.

Make one single, salient point in defense of Lebron, Wade, Rondo or Rose, I dare you.

overcast said:
As a side note. Have any LA gaffers been to Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock? Place has some delicious italian food.

Making a note of that. I usually only go for Italian when my family wants to go out for dinner, and they always want to go to Carmine's in Pasadena, but I suspect the place might be slightly overrated. Good chicken/veal parmesan though.

overcast

ryutaro's mama said:
Yeah, they do.

Hence the motto of Tommy's:

"If it doesn't have the Shack, send it back."

Tommy's knock-offs in Cali are as bad as Ray's Pizzas out in NY.
Damn that's awful. Never understood that.

If you guys haven't been to Top's that is also a pretty good burger joint in LA.

Puddles

Banned
I've lost about 15 pounds on this trip so far (down to my high school weight), but I think I'm going to gain it all back within a week of being in LA. If anyone wants to recommend any other restaurants, please do.

I have never heard of Top's. But I've seen those Tommy's knockoffs.

The big rage right now is the Unami Burgers and other gourmet places. I've yet to try it, but will bring myself to it at some point.

After trying The Counter and being so god damned disappointed, I am weary of what I hear relating to "high-end" burgers.

I've lost about 15 pounds on this trip so far (down to my high school weight), but I think I'm going to gain it all back within a week of being in LA. If anyone wants to recommend any other restaurants, please do.

What type of food you like?

giri

dream said:
Can you photoshop RR9's face on the kid?
Who is RR9?

zychi said:

Thats wilson Chandler, whilst a knick, he was a perennial all-star snub. Future league MVP. On the nuggets? just another guy who's dumb as bricks.

Puddles said:

Where are you?

Branduil

Wilson Chandler was really, really bad at defending Durant in those last two minutes. Not to say Durant couldn't have hit shots still, but Chandler didn't even make it hard on him.

Darkman M

Branduil said:
Wilson Chandler was really, really bad at defending Durant in those last two minutes. Not to say Durant couldn't have hit shots still, but Chandler didn't even make it hard on him.

Don't worry Artest is gonna handle that.

Puddles said:
Mexican, Italian, Middle Eastern, Thai, steaks, Chinese... lots of stuff really.

My go to Chinese for out of towners is Yang Chow in China-town (also a Laker hangout in which players show up). Slippery Shrimp and you will not regret it.

Middle Eastern - Carnival in the valley. Best Hummus I've found. Same with Falafel and Schwarma and great kebabs too. Oh man, and the best fries.

I lost my go to Italian quite a few years ago and am struggling to find one that separates from the pack. Can't help with steaks/BBQ much. Haven't found anything that worth it and I grill my own steaks.

Mexican can be anything, really. so many hole in the walls. might as well try em all! Same for Sushi. Lot of great sushi places. People can be picky, but I don't think you can go that wrong with most of them.

Philippe's has been mentioned for French Dip sandwiches.

Brent's is a great Deli, but Langer's has better pastrami.

Roscoe's is Paul Pierce's go to Chicken & Waffles. :p

edit: If you got some cash to blow, I'd recommend a Churrascaria if you want to truly pig out on great food. Fogo de Chao is quite awesome.

Darkman M

Black Mamba said:
My go to Chinese for out of towners is Yang Chow in China-town (also a Laker hangout in which players show up). Slippery Shrimp and you will not regret it.

Middle Eastern - Carnival in the valley. Best Hummus I've found. Same with Falafel and Schwarma and great kebabs too. Oh man, and the best fries.

I lost my go to Italian quite a few years ago and am struggling to find one that separates from the pack. Can't help with steaks/BBQ much. Haven't found anything that worth it and I grill my own steaks.

Mexican can be anything, really. so many hole in the walls. might as well try em all! Same for Sushi. Lot of great sushi places. People can be picky, but I don't think you can go that wrong with most of them.

edit: If you got some cash to blow, I'd recommend a Churrascaria if you want to truly pig out on great food. Fogo de Chao is quite awesome.

It's like Texas de Brazil right? Awesome food.

overcast

Puddles said:
I personally love King Taco for your mexican fix. It's pretty popular in LA. Of course you can find plenty of good mexican food in the city.

As I said earlier Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock is a very good Italian place.

Darkman M

Offtopic, but i haven't been paying much attention to gamingside and i don't use my PS3 often all all,but holyshit at this security leak stuff, im just now reading up on it today.

Puddles

Banned
giri said:
Where are you?

Egypt right now. I lost most of the weight in India. I got a case of food poisoning so bad that I couldn't eat anything for three days and ate the equivalent of about one meal a day for the next week or so. It made me realize that not vomiting every fifteen minutes is incredibly underrated.

Jordan probably had similar symptoms and played in an NBA Finals game. Goddamn if he wasn't a grown ass man.

rc213

Darkman M said:
Offtopic, but i haven't been paying much attention to gamingside and i don't use my PS3 often all all,but holyshit at this security leak stuff, im just now reading up on it today.
Damn hackers fucking up my gametime just as I received some new games to play.

:c

Duki

Banned
It’s been a long road for Gary Neal. It took two colleges, several European teams and a summer league stint for the 26-year-old to make his way to the NBA.

"It was mid-September and I was working out and he showed up one day,” Manu Ginobili said after the game. “They told me that this was the new shooter we had. I’m not lying when I say that I saw him miss the first 20 shots he took.”

lmao

KingGondo

Banned
TylerD said:
I am very happy to say that I was at the game when the Thunder franchise won its first playoff series. During the half I watched the last 30 seconds of the Grizz and Spurs. That was just disgusting. Gary Neal is a bad man.

Our guys know how hard it is to closeout somebody now. The playoffs is serious business.

Durant was just incredible.

Go FThunder go! :)
Wish I could have been there!

Whoever we get in the second round, we can definitely beat them. Heck, we'd probably even be favored against Memphis although they're playing with some serious confidence right now.

In any case, Ibaka and Perk (with Collison and Mohammed backing them up) should do a much better job against Randolph and Gasol than Green and Krstic did. Obviously.

Pretty crazy that in 2 years we went from 23 wins to potentially favored to reach the Western Conference Finals. :bow to Presti.

Black Mamba said:

Italian - Eh, this varies. There's a few high-end places, but the best Italian food I've had in Cali is in Palm Springs. For Pizza, head to Village Pizza on Larchmont or Valentino's in Manhattan Beach. Fresh Bros is also tasty there.

Mexican - Now here I can help. Pink Taco in Century City, El Cholo's in Koreatown (few blocks up from Olympic and Western), Antonio's in Melrose.

For Pies/Cakes, go to Sweet Lady Jane's, also off Melrose.

And Fogo de Chao is fantastic, but just be warned, the Itis hits 15 mins after you finish.

Money wont work, But Walsh always has a plan. Ive rebuilt the Knicks.

Yao, Amare, Melo, Redd, Billups ---Fields, Tayshaun Prince, Jeff Foster, Bibby, Carl Landry, Rautins, Big Baby.

Gabyskra

Banned
jordan0386 said:
Money wont work, But Walsh always has a plan. Ive rebuilt the Knicks.

Yao, Amare, Melo, Redd, Billups ---Fields, Tayshaun Prince, Jeff Foster, Bibby, Carl Landry, Rautins, Big Baby.

Why is Redd starting before Fields?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom