• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

Ninja Scooter said:
LA is really laid back. Aside from a few sensationalist reporters its not like NY or Boston. Manny mentioned when he came from Boston how refreshing it was. He could go grocery shopping after a loss and people were just like "oh well get'em next time". And for the most part stars in LA are treated like royalty. For all his faults and transgressions Kobe is a fuckin saint in LA.
That is a problem. You should be killing motherfuckers, especially movie stars.

Pickles the Firecat said:
Restaurants? On an LA trip? Get with the times, bro. It's all about food trucks now. Go to:

Grilled Cheese Truck--THIS IS A MUST. GCT is the best foodtruck in the damn country. Order a fully loaded (mac and cheese, pulled pork, caramelized onion) with bacon, whoever takes the order will acknowledge it as a "Weeping Rabbi". Eat the shit out of. Come back and order a dessert melt. http://twitter.com/#!/grlldcheesetruk

Lard On--All bacon everything. How much do you love bacon? Do you love it enough to eat chicken wings with bacon hotsauce, topped with hot sauced covered bacon, with bacon blue cheese? If not just get a BLT, because they make a Goddamn amazing BLT. http://twitter.com/#!/getyourlardon

Sweet's Truck--Honestly? Anything. Anything at all. http://thesweetstruck.com/menu

Other solid choices would be trucks like Coolhaus, Get Shaved (now has a storefront!) and Frysmith. Avoid Nom Nom and Kogi, both are super overrated. Kogi less so, as Korean BBQ is hard to not enjoy, but Nom Nom? It's bahn mi. Who waits in a line for bahn mi?

And as a public service announcement, do not let ANYONE rope you into going to Pink's. It's garbage and anyone that says otherwise knows dick all for food. Go to Fab's instead, out in the valley (Reseda). And if you want the best pizza in a wide, wide radius go to Pizzeria Mozza in Hollywood. Everything else mentioned so far is good, too. Like, ain't nobody ever going to argue Phillipe's isn't amazing. Just want to make sure you get some less conventional and still great ideas. The food scene in LA is going through a pretty creative streak right now. Almost makes me want to come up from SD more to visit home.

Almost.
NYC food cart laughs at you.

SUPREME1

Banned
MidnightCowboy said:
Damn, that's fucked up. Dude was on his way to being an all time great and the doctors fucked him over. A true shame.

The guy was so fucking good. If he'd have lived up to his full potential over a long career and developed his game in every aspect... and pushed himself to the brink... He could have been Kobe
lite.

Maybe.

SUPREME1 said:
The guy was so fucking good. If he'd have lived up to his full potential over a long career and developed his game in every aspect... and pushed himself to the brink... He could have been Kobe
lite.

Maybe.
I don't know about kobe-lite. He was more of a scottie pippen type. He did everything very well. Its a shame doctors ruined the mans potential

charsace

SUPREME1 said:
lite.

Maybe.
Same thing happened to Penny. I think Penny could have been an all time great if the doctors would have handled his injury correctly.

Grant Hill was more like Lebron except he had way more skill and lacked the natural dominating abilities. Hill would have had a better career than Kobe stats wise if it wasn't for the injuries.

numble

charsace said:
Being from LA, I would agree. They even started stealing all the LA type carts. There are Korean taco trucks as well now. If you go to Flushing, they have Chinese food carts that are like the street food that Muslim minorities sell in China. But it's all about the Chicken and Rice, which I have not found anywhere else.

dream

20091026-nomnom1.jpg

best LA thing next to the Clippers.

charsace said:

My man, food trucks and food carts are two different things. I couldn't give a fuck less about food carts in LA, unless I want a bacon wrapped hotdog. LA food trucks are of note because the number of young, creative menu designers that flourish with them is off the charts. You can try ideas that would never fill a traditional menu and be successful. The funds needed to get started are significantly reduced. It creates a space for something new and different.

You go to a food cart for quality food relative to price, or just plain quality food. You go to a food truck for creative food. There are obvious exceptions. Spencer on the Go in San Francisco is just a mobile restaurant with ridiculous quality french food (still working with the freedom of a truck menu). But for the most part, I wouldn't compare the two.

dream said:
best LA thing next to the Clippers.

20+ minute line for bahn mi and two pretty cute asian girls. Fuck that.

charsace said:
food carts =! food trucks.

the food truck phenomena has only hit la in the past year.
ive been to a few. these are gourmet level food on to go.
really cheap and delicious. but i will tell you this, i had a few vendor dogs in manhattan.
they were quite amazing.

also, one of my favorites:
jersey.jpg

Am I the only guy in the world that doesn't really find Asian girls attractive? Pretty much a lot of my white dude friends go apeshit over every Asian chick, even if she's less than mediocre.

I'm oriental myself so I know that doesn't really make sense, but still.

(but I love mixes)

ph33nix said:
Am I the only guy in the world that doesn't really find Asian girls attractive? Pretty much a lot of my white dude friends go apeshit over every Asian chick, even if she's less than mediocre.

(but I love mixes)

Yes.

SUPREME1

Banned
ph33nix said:

(but I love mixes)

Thought you were arab.

Mind blown.

charsace

ph33nix said:

(but I love mixes)
Any bitch that makes my dick jump when I look at them is attractive IMO. Race ain't shit to me.

I knew he was asian since he plays the violin or something similar. That's what he uses to get the white vagin

charsace said:
Any bitch that makes my dick jump when I look at them is attractive IMO. Race ain't shit to me.

I knew he was asian since he plays the violin are something similar. That's what he uses to get the white vagina.

lol wtf

and yeah I don't have any race preference. but sometimes I wonder why guys seem to love mediocre asian chicks so much. no other race gets as much of a pass!

Boombloxer said:
Italian - Eh, this varies. There's a few high-end places, but the best Italian food I've had in Cali is in Palm Springs. For Pizza, head to Village Pizza on Larchmont or Valentino's in Manhattan Beach. Fresh Bros is also tasty there.

Mexican - Now here I can help. Pink Taco in Century City, El Cholo's in Koreatown (few blocks up from Olympic and Western), Antonio's in Melrose.

For Pies/Cakes, go to Sweet Lady Jane's, also off Melrose.

And Fogo de Chao is fantastic, but just be warned, the Itis hits 15 mins after you finish.

Okay, I am going to try that pizza place. pizza in LA sucks (i'm being honest here). Pink Taco is pretty good for upper scale Mexican. Been meaning to try Cholo's.

LovingSteam <3

Pickles said:
And as a public service announcement, do not let ANYONE rope you into going to Pink's. It's garbage and anyone that says otherwise knows dick all for food. Go to Fab's instead, out in the valley (Reseda). And if you want the best pizza in a wide, wide radius go to Pizzeria Mozza in Hollywood. Everything else mentioned so far is good, too. Like, ain't nobody ever going to argue Phillipe's isn't amazing. Just want to make sure you get some less conventional and still great ideas. The food scene in LA is going through a pretty creative streak right now. Almost makes me want to come up from SD more to visit home.

Definitely agree. And at Pinks you wait forever for a hot dog. And also agree on the trucks, which for just over a year now has been a big deal. Haven't been to the grilled cheese truck, though.

Speaking of grilled cheese, I recently saw on TV the one at The Foundry on Melrose. Dude won the national grilled cheese competition (or whatever it's called). It has short ribs in it on raisin bread.

Foundry-Grilled-Cheese-Supermarket-Guru.jpg

It's definitely the most you'll pay for a grilled cheese ever, but it looks worth it.

ph33nix said:

(but I love mixes)

Viet girls, man. Come on. The others can be hit or miss but after all the shit that country went through, the end result was one big ass French/American/White/Black/Vietnamese mixing pool that seems to have made its way into half the damn population.
And landmines
NomNom girls are a perfect example.

charsace

ph33nix said:
lol wtf

and yeah I don't have any race preference. but sometimes I wonder why guys seem to love mediocre asian chicks so much. no other race gets as much of a pass!
GUys focus on one race so they will love anything from it. Its the same with some of my brothers that hook up with huge ass white women because they're white.

rc213

Psssh.

1. Marielas = El Taurino
2. King Taco

Now if I could find a spot that makes pupusas half as good as my moms. I also wish for a spot that does panuchos and cochinita pibil besides my friends mom I'd be set.

Mononofu

rc213 said:
Psssh.

1. Marielas = El Taurino
2. King Taco

Now if I could find a spot that makes pupusas half as good as my moms. I also wish for a spot that does panuchos and cochinita pibil besides my friends mom I'd be set.

Saaaay whaaaaa.

El Taurino >> Everything else

Pickles the Firecat said:
Viet girls, man. Come on. The others can be hit or miss but after all the shit that country went through, the end result was one big ass French/American/White/Black/Vietnamese mixing pool that seems to have made its way into half the damn population.
And landmines
NomNom girls are a perfect example.

Uh, yeah maybe Vietnamese mixes (especially those with green eyes MMM)---but not straight up....and that's all I'll say on that issue...

I am sure this has been covered but I wonder if Mayo would have been able to run the clock out had the Grizzlies thrown it to him in the backcourt(thought immediately of this type of play before they inbounded) before the freethrows and the tying three by the Spurs???

He was open but I guess the inbounder didn't want some flukey turnover to occur.

tmdorsey

verbum said:
As a lukewarm Atlanta Hawks supporter, they really need to close the series out. Joe Johnson shows how good he can be, but then when you really count on him, he disappears. Crawford cooled off too.

They are putting a copy of this column from the Orlando Sentinel on the players' lockers.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-bianchi-magic-0427-20110426,0,7657264.column
The fact that it would take an article like this to get the majority of them heartless, gutless punks motivated is sad in itself.

I still say anything less than the ECFs should result in nuking this core.

The Stealth Fox

lawlohwhat said:
ehhhhhhhh

hakeem was incredible, but don't be hyperbolic.

No. He is. I'm not engaging in hyperbole.

Hakeem would be a much more celebrated center if he had been on the Lakers or Celtics.

Basketball will always be a big man's game if a big man can play the right way.

WEDNESDAY'S WORST (ESPN DAILY DIME):

Grizzlies party planning: Beating the Spurs on the road in Game 5 would have been worthy of handing out courtside "We Beat The Spurs" hats. Instead, the impressive Grizz now look to Friday night's Game 6 in Memphis for their biggest win in franchise history. They've already experienced their most painful loss.
WTF? How about some class, Grizzlies. Sure, it would mean winning the first playoff series ever, which is great, but it still means nothing in the grand scheme of things. :-|

The Stealth Fox

LovingSteam said:
No. Kareem has him beat.
Nope. Go away. Just because someone has 7000 championships doesn't make him the best player ever.

Once you get past two, IMO, any additional ones you win are purely due to situation and management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom