• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Mamba said:
Why bring this up? I was so crushed after that series. the way they disposed of the Sonics, then to get creamed by the Jazz...

Game 1 vs Jazz was the first game I ever watched on a big screen TV, too. Painful memory...

I had them booked for the fucking Finals. Was so hyped to get revenge on MJ. Probably one of the top 3 most disappointing moments as a Laker fan.

Ninja Scooter said:
I had them booked for the fucking Finals. Was so hyped to get revenge on MJ. Probably one of the top 3 most disappointing moments as a Laker fan.

Especially after smashing on the Jazz in the regular season, which brings me back to the 5pur5...

The Stealth Fox

All I know for sure is that Kobe would have been in the shadow of Penny Hardaway had Penny's ankle not exploded on him. :p

After that happened, he just became Anfernee.

The Stealth Fox said:
All I know for sure is that Kobe would have been in the shadow of Penny Hardaway had Penny's ankle not exploded on him. :p

After that happened, he just became Anfernee.

Maaaaaan, I remember pulling a Penny Hardaway ROY insert from 1994 Fleer Ultra. Brings me back.

ecnal

LovingSteam said:
He really is a crummy man. A 3rd NBA team CANNOT flourish in So Cali unless it were San Diego and even then I have my doubts.

san diego doesn't even have a venue suitable for a d-league team, so there's no way the kings...

wait a second, sports arena is perfect for the kings.

DO IT STERN.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Chris Paul in the 2011 playoffs...

24.4PPG, 11.6APG, 6.4RPG, 56FG%, 47% 3PT, 79FT%

Balls out crazy numbers for a point-guard.

SamuraiX-

reilo said:

Against the "terrific defender" that is Derek Fisher.

Luckily he probably won't have to suffer from the juggernaut iron curtain that is Derrick Rose.

The Stealth Fox

SamuraiX- said:
Against the "terrific defender" that is Derek Fisher.

Luckily he probably won't have to suffer from the juggernaut iron curtain that is Derrick Rose.

According to bionic, if you don't get those numbers against Derek Fisher, you don't deserve to be in the NBA.

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant's foul on New Orleans Hornets center Emeka Okafor with 3:14 remaining in the fourth quarter of Los Angeles' 106-90 Game 5 win has been upgraded to a flagrant 1, according to a Lakers team spokesman.

After Thursday's shootaround at the New Orleans Arena, Williams told his players they just have to overcome what he considered unbalanced officiating.

"I was like, 'Look we're not getting the calls. We've got to overcome more than we normally would,'" Williams said.

Stern won't let the LOLkers lose, will he...

Good call Stern, as always. Looks like a flagrant to me!
242hqiu.gif

Adam Blade said:
Stern won't let the LOLkers lose, will he...

I've thought the Hornets have gotten the benefit of the doubt in this series. Either way, it's one of the more fairly officiated series.

If the refs really wanted to make the Lakers win, they would have called that game 4 goal-tending. Alas...

lol

9pmKD.jpg

numble

They should put gyros in the ball to tell the refs if the ball is going upward or downward. Would catch those palming violations too.

Black Mamba said:
I've thought the Hornets have gotten the benefit of the doubt in this series. Either way, it's one of the more fairly officiated series.

If the refs really wanted to make the Lakers win, they would have called that game 4 goal-tending. Alas...

lol

9pmKD.jpg

Phil, the master toll.

Duki

Banned
see the thing with shaq, and i know that hes said this before himself, and its gonna be in a book by that famous sports lady writer whose name i forget who was on the bs report semi recently

but in a lot of ways his lack of effort was partly like... a tactical thing. he realised early on that, because of his size, his body was ridiculously fragile. so the only way he could make sure he was going to be there in the playoffs was to slack off during the regular season. which makes a kind of perverse sense to me, since he was already always plagued by injuries playing even as he did

dunno how high you rate health and longevity in a goat discussion, but sometimes its not something a player can help

Ropei.jpg

I really hate the BEAT LA stuff. It's so unoriginal. Only Boston should be allowed to us it because it's theirs. All the other franchises are mooching off of 'em. come up with something new.

It's really the worst chant.

Also, those shirts are stupid because you can only wear them against the Lakers. And they look almost like Dodger colors. Why?

Laker t-shirt giveaways don't acknowledge the other team, only their own.

numble

Black Mamba said:
http://i.imgur.com/Ropei.jpg[IMG]
Also, those shirts are stupid because you can only wear them against the Lakers.
[/QUOTE]
No, they can use them against the Clippers and when they revolt against their state government.

So will tonight be a repeat of 2010 or 2009 with the Lakers first round?

charsace said:
Good thing it will be a long time before that avatar you have is dead chump.

I'm only wearing the avatar while on GAF. The shame of being a Knicks fan follows you wherever you go.

Omiee

been so busy these past few days, i watch every game on demand =( because of the time difference.
But im in for tonight, i really hope they finish this tonight.
That would give them more rest, a game 7 would mean 1 day rest if they win game 7

charsace

reilo said:

Those would be crazy numbers for anyone. And he still looks a little gimpy to me.

LovingSteam said:
So will tonight be a repeat of 2010 or 2009 with the Lakers first round?

I'm only wearing the avatar while on GAF. The shame of being a Knicks fan follows you wherever you go.

Considering 2009 is impossible, not sure how that's much of a choice.

That would give them more rest, a game 7 would mean 1 day rest if they win game 7

and game 7 opens up flukes. I'd like to think they control this game, but i have no idea with these guys, anymore.

LovingSteam said:
Well there is a reason his name is Duki.

How so? Lakers went to game 7 against the Rockets.

In the 2nd round. 1st round was Utah in 5. I know it's hard to remember eliminating the Jazz because they kind of do it every year with ease.

Fun Fact: Lakers defeat of the Jazz in Utah late in the season officially ended their chance for the playoffs, so the streak continues!

Black Mamba said:
In the 2nd round. 1st round was Utah in 5. I know it's hard to remember eliminating the Jazz because they kind of do it every year with ease.

Fun Fact: Lakers defeat of the Jazz in Utah late in the season officially ended their chance for the playoffs, so the streak continues!

Ahh crap. Totally forgot. Thanks.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
The Jazz were eliminated before the game started due to a Grizzlies win, get your facts straight.

That's not what the announcers said! Supposedly a tie breaker was still possible.

Eat it, Utah Byes.

Gigglepoo

LovingSteam said:
I don't have GOATs but rather tiers.

Tier 1- Kareem, Russ, Magic, Jordan, Wilt
Tier 2- Bird, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe
Tier 3- Big O, Dr.J, Moses, West, Baylor

Edit: Just to be clear, the tiers are in no particular order. I will say that for 1994-1995 I will take Hakeem over any of the other players in tier 2. His prime was amazing.

It's always weird to me when someone includes players they've never seen play.

SUPREME1 said:
More nicknames!!

Utah Vacationers

Salt Lake gonna Lake

Utah Malones

Uterribles

Come on now. They have those 2 Western Conference Champion banners. Thats something to be proud of!

Gigglepoo said:

Yep. I guess those born after 1999 shouldn't be able to include MJ on the GOAT list. I mean its not as though there is footage of him having played or books, articles, testimony of others who saw him play. Naaaaa

Gigglepoo said:

Lol yeah, those of us who grew up in the 80's barely saw Bird and Magic play, let alone Elgin Baylor and Oscar Robertson.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Lol yeah, those of us who grew up in the 80's barely saw Bird and Magic play, let alone Elgin Baylor and Oscar Robertson.

Yep. And its not like there is something called Youtube where footage of these players survives. Nope. It's not as though we have records of their play that survive today. Totally right man.

dream

LovingSteam said:
Yep. And its not like there is something called Youtube where footage of these players survives. Nope. It's not as though we have records of their play that survive today. Totally right man.

I kind of see his point though. Highlights and statlines don't give you the proper context.

dream said:
I kind of see his point though. Highlights and statlines don't give you the proper context.

You do realize that full games of these players survive, right? Whether its ESPN Classics airing them, Youtube, etc. Entire series still survive.

SUPREME1

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

Luckily for us who care enough to search, there are stats, footage (sometimes), eye witness testimony from knowledgeable people, articles, etc.

For instance:

Babe Ruth, GOAT or not, you know he's at least in the mix because __________ .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom