• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUPREME1 said:
Luckily for us who care enough to search, there are stats, footage (sometimes), eye witness testimony from knowledgeable people, articles, etc.

For instance:

Babe Ruth, GOAT or not, you know he's at least in the mix because __________ .

Apparently Willie Mays nor Hank Aaron can be in the mix for those of us who are 35 or younger.

charsace

dream said:
I kind of see his point though. Highlights and statlines don't give you the proper context.
I've watched games of all the guys on that tier list. Before classic sports was bought out by ESPN it was a local channel in NYC that was hosted by Clyde Frazier and they would show classic games all day.

LovingSteam said:
Yep. And its not like there is something called Youtube where footage of these players survives. Nope. It's not as though we have records of their play that survive today. Totally right man.

Has anyone on this board actually watched a full season's worth of 70's basketball games?

Obviously stats and records and second-hand accounts and highlight reels are useful, but Gigglepoo does have a pretty good point about comparing players across eras, especially amongst a (relatively) young demographic like this board.

Now when somebody like Dean Smith says that Kareem was the greatest player he's ever seen go through college, that adds weight on top of all of the other accolades.

dream

LovingSteam said:
You do realize that full games of these players survive, right? Whether its ESPN Classics airing them, Youtube, etc. Entire series still survive.

I know, but it's still historical footage at that point. You don't really get the same frame of reference because you didn't get to see the series unfold live, where you live and die on every point scored.

It's like, I dunno, kids seeing 9/11 footage 10 years from now won't be as affected by it as our generation was because we lived through the fallout.

Fuck, what a horrible analogy.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Has anyone on this board actually watched a full season's worth of 70's basketball games?

Obviously stats and records and second-hand accounts and highlight reels are useful, but Gigglepoo does have a pretty good point about comparing players across eras, especially amongst a (relatively) young demographic like this board.

Now when somebody like Dean Smith says that Kareem was the greatest player he's ever seen go through college, that adds weight on top of all of the other accolades.

I guarantee that non Lakers fans havent' seen an entire season of Magic Johnson having played. They have seen him in the finals, and the few times when his games were on CBS/NBC. Are they not eligible to have him on their GOAT list?

punkypine

Adam Blade said:
So, do Philly fans have any interest in sending Iggy to the Clips for say, Kaman + change?
depends on the new CBA, but if it means we can try to sign someone else in a few years, I would be all for it. I dont know kaman's contract and stuff, he's worthless

thekad

Banned
SUPREME1 said:
Not biting here... BUUUT, name 19 who did it better.

GO!!!!

no order:
jordan, dream, kareem, wilt, dr. j, bird, magic, russell, shaq, duncan, west, oscar, the malones, frazier, havlicek, kg, baylor, d.rob, lebron

SUPREME1

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

This is probably the method which carries most weight besides actual stats.

That's why when shitty BSPN sports "journalists" hate on a certain player for no other reason than to hate, it taints the memory/opinion/legacy of that player for future generations.

I loved watching the NFL's Top 100 Players of All Time because you saw people explain what made those players so special.

Then you see highlights and you better understand how talented they really were.

thekad said:
no order:
jordan, dream, kareem, wilt, dr. j, bird, magic, russell, shaq, duncan, west, oscar, the malones, frazier, havlicek, kg, baylor, d.rob, lebron

Sorry, you can't include Kareem, Wilt, DRJ, Russell, West, Oscar, Frazier, Havlicek, and Baylor since you never saw them play. Therefore Kobe is in your top 10 GOAT list. Congratulations.

LovingSteam said:
I guarantee that non Lakers fans havent' seen an entire season of Magic Johnson having played. They have seen him in the finals, and the few times when his games were on CBS/NBC. Are they not eligible to have him on their GOAT list?

I never said they weren't eligible. I was just pointing out that Giggles had a point. I've never watched 40 consecutive minutes of Wilt Chamberlain basketball in my life - my only argument for his placement on a list of any kind would be stats and trophies, two things we critique people for leaning on too much in this very thread. Ironic in a way.

punkypine said:
depends on the new CBA, but if it means we can try to sign someone else in a few years, I would be all for it. I dont know kaman's contract and stuff, he's worthless

He was an All-Star just 2 years ago!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
LovingSteam said:
Sorry, you can't include Kareem, Wilt, DRJ, Russell, West, Oscar, Frazier, Havlicek, and Baylor since you never saw them play. Therefore Kobe is in your top 10 GOAT list. Congratulations.
I don't know, he's pretty senile and probably suffers from dementia. That makes him at least 60 years old.

thekad

Banned
teabag.jpg

pull_here_2.jpg

can't get enough

dream

20 years from now, someone is going to use Melo's 42 point game in the Celtics series as an example of why he is or isn't an all time great. They're going to look up the players that were on the Knicks roster in 2011 and the Hall of Famers on the Celtics team and use that to determine why it was such an amazing performance. They might even pull up videos of some shots he made in that game. But they won't have the same perspective on that game that we have because we actually watched, lived, and experienced it.

thekad

Banned
dream said:
20 years from now, someone is going to use Melo's 42 point game in the Celtics series as an example of why he is or isn't an all time great. They're going to look up the players that were on the Knicks roster in 2011 and the Hall of Famers on the Celtics team and use that to determine why it was such an amazing performance. They might even pull up videos of some shots he made in that game. But they won't have the same perspective on that game that we have because we actually watched, lived, and experienced it.

They'll know he played for the D'antoni Knicks. And that will tell the whole story.

giri

Adam Blade said:
So, do Philly fans have any interest in sending Iggy to the Clips for say, Kaman + change?
That would be a good trade for the clips. Would make the play offs you'd think with that roster.

SUPREME1

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
We are still doing ranking players game?

The fact I see Tier 1: Magic and Tier 2: Bird makes it already invalid.

Magic has the edge over Bird in head to head Finals victories on two levels.

: )

Sanjuro

SUPREME1 said:
Magic has the edge over Bird in head to head Finals victories on two levels.

: )
Rings don't equal better by default. I know Laker fans have their priorities, but I always saw them as equals.

The Stealth Fox

IC, I missed your post listing all of Kareem's accolades. Here's Hakeems:

Career highlights and awards
2× NBA Champion (1994–1995)
NBA Most Valuable Player (1994)
2× NBA Finals MVP (1994–1995)
12× NBA All-Star (1985–1990, 1992–1997)
2× NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1993–1994)
6× All-NBA First Team (1987–1989, 1993–1994, 1997)
3× All-NBA Second Team (1986, 1990, 1996)
3× All-NBA Third Team (1991, 1995, 1999)
5× All-Defensive First Team (1987–1988, 1990, 1993-1994)
4× All-Defensive Second Team (1985, 1991, 1996–1997)
NBA All-Rookie Team (1985)

Yeah, sure Kareem won 6 MVPs, but honestly he was on the best teams in basketball year in and year out, AND he had a longer career.

Yes, he was more durable, but that's not really a factor if you've played longer than 10 seasons. If you play awhile, you're durable. Some people hold together longer than others. Now if someone can play a billion vs a million seasons, well, does it really matter? Durability isn't really the player's fault.

I just don't understand that given his play and what he's done, you can't at least consider him on the same level, and at least allow a rational argument to be made that he is the best.

I'm not trying to knock down Kareem at all here. He has every right to be in the conversation, but both Hakeem or Kareem.... there will never be players like them ever again.

Kareem had his skyhook but Hakeem destroyed people with soccer skills on a basketball court.

I'll just make this my last post on the subject because I don't want to derail the topic anymore.

numble

The Stealth Fox said:
I'm sure you were saying this when he was winning you championships.
People were complaining about fat and lazy Shaq all the time. The reason why fans took different sides in the Kobe/Shaq rift.

giri

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Rings don't equal better by default. I know Laker fans have their priorities, but I always saw them as equals.
Yes rings do mean better. Robert Horry, greatest douche to ever live.

SUPREME1

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

I was kidding. One was the ying to the other's yang.

They made each other legendary.

SUPREME1

Banned
numble said:
People were complaining about fat and lazy Shaq all the time. The reason why fans took different sides in the Kobe/Shaq rift.

This.

I recall one season where he missed a ton of games due to an abdominal strain. I couldn't believe that shit.

If Shaq had stayed in better shape, he'd have had a better motor (energy/endurance etc) due to not carrying so much weight, and he'd have stayed at his peak a lot longer.

Same with Kobe even now. When he does some shit that pisses me off, I call him names I wouldn't even call LeBastard.
Because I care. <3

I love Shaq for all he did in L.A., and for being a big dumb goofy jackass.

I also hated him for a bunch other reasons.

The Stealth Fox

SUPREME1 said:
This.

I recall one season where he missed a ton of games due to an abdominal strain. I couldn't believe that shit.

If Shaq had stayed in better shape, he'd have had a better motor (energy/endurance etc) due to not carrying so much weight, and he'd have stayed at his peak a lot longer.

Same with Kobe even now. When he does some shit that pisses me off, I call him names I wouldn't even call LeBastard.
Because I care. <3

I love Shaq for all he did in L.A., and for being a big dumb goofy jackass.

I also hated him for a bunch other reasons.

I know we go at each other a lot, but you know, I kind of respect you as a fan for rooting for the TEAM, not the players.

Like, if you had Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones on your team, you'd still stick around.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
We are still doing ranking players game?

The fact I see Tier 1: Magic and Tier 2: Bird makes it already invalid.

Incorrect.

I saw the Dream footage earlier, and he's still got it. I think that people forget how versatile he was defensively, he's like 8th all-time in steals.

The reason why fans took different sides in the Kobe/Shaq rift.

Yea, my main gripe with Shaq was always the summers of Good Livin', he earned them, but eventually that shit cost us.

Yes rings do mean better. Robert Horry, greatest douche to ever live.

1272069741077.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom