• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackface said:
Laker fans think LA is some special place all athletes want to play. They don't, and never have. Lakers do not have a history of picking up massive, young, in their prime FA's all the time. It happens like once a decade if that.

The 2000's really have gone to Laker fans heads. I think it's all going to come crashing down to reality for them soon enough.

If I was Dwight, I would rather go play with the Clippers, or various other teams in the NBA.

Not to mention, the Lakers would have to trade some big pieces to get Dwight, and under the new CBA, maybe even more. The Lakers do NOT have a long-term future, something I assume Dwight is looking for.

LOL! You are hilariously awesome.

charsace said:
What do those mean to Howard. He has no connection with the city itself or the team. I don't understand why you think he wants to play there.

eb5tmp.jpg

Blackface

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Um because all we need is once every decade. We got Kareem in his prime and he and Magic took us until 1990 or so. We got Shaq in his prime and partnered with Kobe that lasted until 2004. We got Pau in his prime through FA and with Kobe that has lasted until now. So... yea...

You didn't get Pau via FA, and you already had a prime Kobe.

You aren't getting Dwight. I will bet a permanent Avatar on it. You down?

Blackface said:

I meant through trade re:pau. The point still stands, we don't need a blockbuster FA every year. And yea, a Raptor fan talking about the Lakers lacking a long term future? Do the Raptors even have A future? Contraction is coming sooner than later.

SamuraiX-

Blackface said:

LovingSteam.

A Knicks fan for 2 years.

A Raptors fan for a decade.

Blackface said:

I would say there's a slim chance, but that's the case with every trade. It's rare for a trade to be completely telegraphed (see Melo to NY) and follow through. But if Dwight somehow ends up on the block, the Lakers will be in the mix, you can bet on that. That's good enough for me.

linsivvi

Blackface said:
Laker fans think LA is some special place all athletes want to play. They don't, and never have. Lakers do not have a history of picking up massive, young, in their prime FA's all the time. It happens like once a decade if that.

Of course it's not. Toronto is where everyone wants to play, with the best clubs and all that.

hedo_pizza.jpg

Blackface

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I meant through trade re:pau. The point still stands, we don't need a blockbuster FA every year. And yea, a Raptor fan talking about the Lakers lacking a long term future? Do the Raptors even have A future? Contraction is coming sooner than later.

We aren't talking about the Raptors, stop changing the subject. The Raptors are shit, I get it, good one. You are so creative.

The fact is, Players in their prime don't flock to LA, and never have. This is regardless of sport.

You will not get Dwight Howard. He and his agent both know you will have to trade away valuable pieces for that to happen. He will be constantly compared to Shaq, and when Kobe is old and worthless (sooner then later), it will be all on Dwight to lead an entire team, just like with the Magic. Phill Jackson won't be there to bail him out, and the new CBA is going to make it so you can't make lop-sided trades and pay them truck loads of money due to Bird Rights. The Lakers also have no good, young talent.

It isn't happening. I already made my bet on it.

Barrage

So, in terms of Cap Room (as in, if Dwight signed with a team in Free Agency in 2012 instead of being traded), what team would give him the best chance at a championship?

1)Clippers
2)Celtics
3)Spurs

charsace

Ninja Scooter said:
Lebron did the same thing. And never said anything positive about NY. He even told nike that he was signing with the knicks when he knew he had no intention of signing here.

Meanwhile Carmelo was talking about how he liked what the knicks was doing during the 09-10 and last summer he was tweeting about how he was coming home to play and then deleted those posts and said he was hacked.

Why do you think he won't play for the Hawks? He was born and raised there. They have the pieces to get him too. He would bring life to that franchise.

And we all know that the Lakers success over the last 15 years is due to the Logo.

THRILLH0

Banned
So now that Paul, Deron and Nash are all fishing (yet again) while Rose, Parker and Westbrook are still playing, can we cut the "gotta have a PG who plays the right way" crap?

It doesn't count if you only get assists because you're surrounded by 3 HoF's while being the worst jump-shooter in the league.

Blackface said:
We aren't talking about the Raptors, stop changing the subject. The Raptors are shit, I get it, good one. You are so creative.

The fact is, Players in their prime don't flock to LA, and never have. This is regardless of sport.

You will not get Dwight Howard. He and his agent both know you will have to trade away valuable pieces for that to happen. He will be constantly compared to Shaq, and when Kobe is old and worthless (sooner then later), it will be all on Dwight to lead an entire team, just like with the Magic. Phill Jackson won't be there to bail him out, and the new CBA is going to make it so you can't make lop-sided trades and pay them truck loads of money due to Bird Rights.

Players in their prime don't flock to LA? Kareem did. Shaq did. That right there is good for almost 20 years. We had Magic with Kareem and Kobe with Shaq. The Lakers didn't need any other prime FA's. That is what you don't realize. WE didn't need any other big time FA's in their prime. We had the 2-3 superstars and surrounded them with role players.

MidnightCowboy said:
He knows something.
stupid ass mo williams

If

- Clippers re-sign Jordan
- they decide to trade for Dwight

Mo will probably be included to match salary, as Orlando will attempt to dump Arenas' and/or Turk's contracts on anyone they trade Dwight to.

Something like

Jordan
Gordon
Mo
Kaman (big expiring)
picks

for

Dwight
Hedo/Arenas
Duhon

Blackface said:

You will not get Dwight Howard. He and his agent both know you will have to trade away valuable pieces for that to happen. He will be constantly compared to Shaq, and when Kobe is old and worthless (sooner then later), it will be all on Dwight to lead an entire team, just like with the Magic. Phill Jackson won't be there to bail him out, and the new CBA is going to make it so you can't make lop-sided trades and pay them truck loads of money due to Bird Rights.

Don't need lopsided trades. Lakers are set up for Kobe, Pau and Blake's salaries come off the books the same year, Odom the year before. That's like $65 million in salaries and Howard will be what? 28 by then? Still in the prime of his career.

AShep said:
So now that Paul, Deron and Nash are all fishing (yet again) while Rose, Parker and Westbrook are still playing, can we cut the "gotta have a PG who plays the right way" crap?

Not on NBA Labels-Gafstats.

Never!!!!!!

Thos guys use fancy lures and Rose and Westbrook use bobbers, it doesn't matter if they catch more fish!!!!

SamuraiX-

I honestly don't think Dwight is leaving.

He just doesn't have the personality to leave. Orlando would have to trade him and that's not happening.

Otis will make it even more difficult when he works on Dwight's gullible nature and promise him they'll get him help in the same way Cuban promised Dirk.

thekad

Banned
AShep said:

Let's ask Nash, CP3, and Deron if they'd like to play with Deng/Boozer/Noah, Ginobli/Duncan, and Durant.

charsace said:
Lebron did the same thing. And never said anything positive about NY. He even told nike that he was signing with the knicks when he knew he had no intention of signing here.

Meanwhile Carmelo was talking about how he liked what the knicks was doing during the 09-10 and last summer he was tweeting about how he was coming home to play and then deleted those posts and said he was hacked.

Why do you think he won't play for the Hawks? He was born and raised there. They have the pieces to get him too. He would bring life to that franchise.

And we all know that the Lakers success over the last 15 years is due to the Logo.

because the Hawks are a middling franchise team that nobody cares about? You compare him to Lebron, and then throw out the "hometown" card with Atlanta? That worked out great for Cleveland. Its a players league. Players will dictate where they go, and I believe that Dwight is the type of guy that will want to go to a big, flashy market, and if that's the case the Lakers have as good a shot as any.

I can't believe you guys just saw what happened with Carmelo, with teams like Houston, NJ and Dallas putting together packages for him and having no chance, and try and throw out shit like "Dwight to Memphis!". Have you learned nothing?

linsivvi

Blackface said:

It's easy to make a bet when there are 28 other possible locations a player can go to.

I could make a bet that Lebron wasn't going to Toronto last year, or CP3 isn't going to Utah when his contract is up. Also you are not going to win the lottery within your lifetime.

Convenient, isn't it?

LovingSteam said:
Players in their prime don't flock to LA? Kareem did. Shaq did. That right there is good for almost 20 years. We had Magic with Kareem and Kobe with Shaq. The Lakers didn't need any other prime FA's. That is what you don't realize. WE didn't need any other big time FA's in their prime. We had the 2-3 superstars and surrounded them with role players.

Don't forget Magic and Kobe pretty much wanted to be guaranteed to be a Laker before coming.

look, big time FAs rarely leave their teams to begin with. Big deal. Players will always find their way to a team like the Lakers because it's LA and its history of success.

giga

AShep said:

It doesn't count if you only get assists because you're surrounded by 3 HoF's while being the worst jump-shooter in the league.
You are honestly comparing the Hornats, Jazz, and Suns to the Bulls, Spurs, and Thunder?

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I've heard Orlando is a dump.

One of the great things i did while i was living in the United States was to travel a lot. I went into every possible inch of Florida, and boy, there are a lot of great cities in there but Miami isn´t one.

What´s so great about Miami? Of course, the nightlife, but since you are a millionaire sports athlete, you´re fine living close to it, because you can enjoy the nightlife and live in a better city.

I really don´t get the hate towards Orlando, specially comparing to some very uninteresting NBA cities.

Shaq left Orlando to play for the Lakers but still loves the city, lives there and can be easilly spoted there during offseason. He left for a bunch of different reasons. This idea that Orlando can´t sustain a superstar is crazy. Problem is, Otis put them on a hole. There´s always buy outs and trades, remember, the Magic Gm is not the only one in the NBA that is a lunatic.

But hey, if the general feeling is that the place is a dump, then lol, i guess it´s news for me.

Disclaimer: I´m not a Magic fan, i just like them a little bit.

ryutaro's mama said:
You better hope it doesn't go 7.

LeBron doesn't do well in pressure situations.

Fixed

Black Mamba said:
Don't forget Magic and Kobe pretty much wanted to be guaranteed to be a Laker before coming.

look, big time FAs rarely leave their teams to begin with. Big deal. Players will always find their way to a team like the Lakers because it's LA and its history of success.

Exactly.

SamuraiX-

AShep said:

Why are you grouping Parker in the same category with two shooting guards?

Blackface

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Don't need lopsided trades. Lakers are set up for Kobe, Pau and Blake's salaries come off the books the same year, Odom the year before. That's like $65 million in salaries and Howard will be what? 28 by then? Still in the prime of his career.

The CBA getting changed, all the rules of contracts, cap etc.. The current model you are basing your thought on is unsustainable, making the NBA bankrupt and will not be in place by this time next year.

Just because a team has money, does not mean they are going to land tons of FA's. A big part of the reason why LA could get anyone is because they had Phil Jackson and Kobe. Both of them will be gone.

charsace

LovingSteam said:
LA is a great city, but that team is going to look ugly in a few years because they will have to go into a rebuild. There first rebuild in a long time without West being involved. And phil is leaving on top of all that is going to happen.

The bottom line is that the Lakers will be rebuilding and I don't see a player like Howard who is in his prime going to a rebuilding team. I don't like the Laker's current front office at all. They are really going to have to earn their money soon though.

seattle6418 said:
One of the great things i did while i was living in the United States was to travel a lot. I went into every possible inch of Florida, and boy, there are a lot of great cities in there but Miami isn´t one.

What´s so great about Miami? Of course, the nightlife, but since you are a millionaire sports athlete, you´re fine living close to it, because you can enjoy the nightlife and live in a better city.

I really don´t get the hate towards Orlando, specially comparing to some very uninteresting NBA cities.

Shaq left Orlando to play for the Lakers but still loves the city, lives there and can be easilly spoted there during offseason. He left for a bunch of different reasons. This idea that Orlando can´t sustain a superstar is crazy. Problem is, Otis put them on a hole. There´s always buy outs and trades, remember, the Magic Gm is not the only one in the NBA that is a lunatic.

But hey, if the general feeling is that the place is a dump, then lol, i guess it´s news for me.

Disclaimer: I´m not a Magic fan, i just like them a little bit.

Howard leaving Orlando would have more to do with the front office and coaches being idiots, and the roster being a cap strapped bunch of garbage than the city itself. If Dwight stays he is pretty much stuck with this team for the next few years. It's similar to Cleveland. they did a terrible job building around Lebron and paid for it.

seattle6418 said:

Someone told me it wasn't a very clean place or something, only time I have been there was for Epcot Center and it was somewhat boring because it was more educational than fun-with-rides!!!!!!

I remember some purple dragon and some pigment or shit or something.

I don't have anything personal against Orlando.

Blackface said:
The CBA getting changed, all the rules of contracts, cap etc.. The current model you are basing your thought on is unsustainable, making the NBA bankrupt and will not be in place by this time next year.

Just because a team has money, does not mean they are going to land tons of FA's. A big part of the reason why LA could get anyone is because they had Phil Jackson and Kobe. Both of them will be gone.

the CBA will change but contracts aren't going to be torn up and voided. those contracts will still be expiring at the same time. Maybe they will be a smaller hard cap in place, but I have a hard time believing it still wouldn't be enough space to sign a superstar free agent. We have ZERO money guaranteed beyond then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom