• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackface said:
The CBA getting changed, all the rules of contracts, cap etc.. The current model you are basing your thought on is unsustainable, making the NBA bankrupt and will not be in place by this time next year.

Just because a team has money, does not mean they are going to land tons of FA's. A big part of the reason why LA could get anyone is because they had Phil Jackson and Kobe. Both of them will be gone.

if you don't think Stern is going to make sure teams like the Lakers can stay strong going forward, you're a fool. yeah, he's going to fuck up the league's best asset money-wise!

Look, we'd be saying the same thing about the Knicks if Dolan/Isiah didn't fuck up that team badly making it almost impossible to build back up.

If Minnesota was the team with huge cap-room this off-season, no way in hell do Wade, Bosh, and Bron opt to go to the Wolves. They'd have split up in NY and chicago. They are in Miami because it's fucking Miami.

Can tell you never been to LA. Its a shithole.

Not for an athlete. Yeah, living in Beverly Hills and Malibu must be such a drag.

The Stealth Fox

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I've heard Orlando is a dump.

Go screw yourself. We don't want you here. Now, I don't think Orlando is the best place in the world, but it surely isn't a dump.

Oh well, we don't need any more stupid people here. Everyone here can at least read a box score and doesn't think statistics like field goal percentage are that difficult to interpret.

charsace

SamuraiX- said:
I honestly don't think Dwight is leaving.

He just doesn't have the personality to leave. Orlando would have to trade him and that's not happening.

Otis will make it even more difficult when he works on Dwight's gullible nature and promise him they'll get him help in the same way Cuban promised Dirk.
So you think Howard is too nice like Dirk and could decide to stay? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the scenario that plays out.

charsace said:
LA is a great city, but that team is going to look ugly in a few years because they will have to go into a rebuild. There first rebuild in a long time without West being involved. And phil is leaving on top of all that is going to happen.

The bottom line is that the Lakers will be rebuilding and I don't see a player like Howard who is in his prime going to a rebuilding team. I don't like the Laker's current front office at all. They are really going to have to earn their money soon though.

Mitch has done a pretty good job up to this point, although I admit that getting Pau changed everything. Nevertheless LA has the legacy, the city, the tradition, and one of the best owners (currently) in sports. Will it be simple to rebuild if we don't get a top free agent? Don't think so but it will be easier than a mid tier city like Oklahoma, New Jersey, etc. I still believe that the Lakers will scoop up 1 if not 2 of the top FA's.

The Stealth Fox said:
Go screw yourself. We don't want you here. Now, I don't think Orlando is the best place in the world, but it surely isn't a dump.

Oh well, we don't need any more stupid people here. Everyone here can at least read a box score and doesn't think statistics like field goal percentage are that difficult to interpret.

The art of reading, it's a wonderful art!!!!!

"I've heard" doesn't usually mean "I think".

THRILLH0

Banned
thekad said:
Let's ask Nash, CP3, and Deron if they'd like to play with Deng/Boozer/Noah, Ginobli/Duncan, and Durant.

Yeah because it's not like those guys haven't continuously failed playing alongside all-stars before...

Let's ask Amare/Marion, Boozer, and David West (lol you got me) what it was like flunking out over and over again playing alongside your prototype PGs. Shit, why not get Karl Malone and Dirk on the phone too?

Ninja Scooter said:
the CBA will change but contracts aren't going to be torn up and voided. those contracts will still be expiring at the same time. Maybe they will be a smaller hard cap in place, but I have a hard time believing it still wouldn't be enough space to sign a superstar free agent. We have ZERO money guaranteed beyond then.

the lower salary cap will be combined with lower salaries, so the aspects of trading won't change. There's no way the cap comes down but max salaries still hit $20 million. Doesn't make sense.

If everything lowers, the "rules of the game" don't actually change. Just players make less money.

charsace

Ninja Scooter said:
because the Hawks are a middling franchise team that nobody cares about? You compare him to Lebron, and then throw out the "hometown" card with Atlanta? That worked out great for Cleveland. Its a players league. Players will dictate where they go, and I believe that Dwight is the type of guy that will want to go to a big, flashy market, and if that's the case the Lakers have as good a shot as any.

I can't believe you guys just saw what happened with Carmelo, with teams like Houston, NJ and Dallas putting together packages for him and having no chance, and try and throw out shit like "Dwight to Memphis!". Have you learned nothing?
I have. Dwight hasn't said he wants to play for any other team yet though so I am just naming teams that would have the assets to get him.

linsivvi

The Stealth Fox said:

Seattle is a great city. I spent a week there on a business trip and enjoyed every moment. Just don't move the Lakers there please.

charsace

LovingSteam said:
Mitch has done a pretty good job up to this point, although I admit that getting Pau changed everything. Nevertheless LA has the legacy, the city, the tradition, and one of the best owners (currently) in sports. Will it be simple to rebuild if we don't get a top free agent? Don't think so but it will be easier than a mid tier city like Oklahoma, New Jersey, etc. I still believe that the Lakers will scoop up 1 if not 2 of the top FA's.
What has mitch actually done? For the shaq trade he took the best package available. He only got Gasol because of West. The current Lakers front office hasn't done anything. West had playoff teams before shaq even though the team was rebuilding. Lakers fans should be begging for West to return.

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:
Don't forget Magic and Kobe pretty much wanted to be guaranteed to be a Laker before coming.

look, big time FAs rarely leave their teams to begin with. Big deal. Players will always find their way to a team like the Lakers because it's LA and its history of success.

The Lakers have had two big time FA in their prime signing since the late 1970's. Acting like LA is a place young, superstar, in their prime players flock do, is ridicules.

The history of the Lakers is very predictable. A decade where they are fantastic, and win championships, followed by a slow decade of rebuilding, followed by a strong decade of championships.

They are at the end of a strong decade, and about to enter one of rebuilding. Dwight does not want to be part of a rebuilding team with no prospects.

The Lakers went through this rebuilding phase in the 90's. They got Shaq, and acquired Kobe. They were one of the YOUNGEST teams in all of basketball after 1996. It took talented young players, a developing Kobe and Phil Jackson to make them what they are right now.

They were in a unique position at that time, that they are NOT IN NOW. There are a number of NBA teams with much better prospects. With better coach's (Phill is gone), and a brighter future. It makes no sense for Dwight to sign with the Lakers.

The Stealth Fox

linsivvi said:
Why are you rooting for the Rockets then?

Liked them since I was a kid because of dream.

And LOL, there is no Seattle, Orlando, Florida. I'm just supporting the existence of a Seattle franchise, because I want justice in the world.

charsace said:
What has mitch actually done? For the shaq trade he took the best package available. He only got Gasol because of West. The current Lakers front office hasn't done anything. West had playoff teams before shaq even though the team was rebuilding. Lakers fans should be begging for West to return.

He drafted Bynum and stuck with him even though everybody and their mother (Except Jim Buss) wanted him to trade Bynum. Is he Jerry West? No, who is? But the fact remains that under his watch the Lakers have gone to 3 straight finals and won 2 chips.

charsace

CaptYamato said:
Santa Monica and tons of other areas say no. It's like any big city(not named Detroit). Nice places and shitty places.
Detroit is still considered to be a big city?

LovingSteam said:
He drafted Bynum and stuck with him even though everybody and their mother (Except Jim Buss) wanted him to trade Bynum. Is he Jerry West? No, who is? But the fact remains that under his watch the Lakers have gone to 3 straight finals and won 2 chips.
I thought it was a scout that they fired that sold them on Bynum. Everyone was WTFing when they picked him.

linsivvi

The Stealth Fox said:
Liked them since I was a kid because of dream.

And LOL, there is no Seattle, Orlando, Florida. I'm just supporting the existence of a Seattle franchise, because I want justice in the world.

Dream....same here. To me, he'll always be the best center ever.

But Lakers for life. :p

The Stealth Fox

linsivvi said:
Dream....same here.

But Lakers for life. :p

You really need to understand that I don't hate the Lakers. I just get annoyed by a lot of the fans (especially the ones that show up to Amway like every game because they love Kobe etc. etc.).

I know it's a result from being the most popular franchise, but it's freaking annoying. The Lakers fans in Orlando are unbearable.

Correction: I lived in Orlando since the day I was born. I moved to Tampa in 2009 for medical school, and Tampa doesn't have a basketball team.

Blackface

Banned
Barrage said:
If the Lakers aren't a place young, in their prime superstars flock, where is (besides Miami)??

Strawman.

The point is, there are not many places this happens. Fans in LA think there team is a place players flock to. They don't understand it's who was playing FOR the Lakers and who was COACHING the Lakers that appealed to people. It was never the city or the logo, unless they have a special connection to it. Something Dwight does not.

linsivvi

The Stealth Fox said:
You really need to understand that I don't hate the Lakers. I just get annoyed by a lot of the fans (especially the ones that show up to Amway like every game because they love Kobe etc. etc.).

I know it's a result from being the most popular franchise, but it's freaking annoying. The Lakers fans in Orlando are unbearable.

I know that, you've explained it before. It's not like you're thekad or blackface.

SamuraiX-

AShep said:
Yeah because it's not like those guys haven't continuously failed playing alongside all-stars before...

Let's ask Amare/Marion, Boozer, and David West (lol you got me) what it was like flunking out over and over again playing alongside your prototype PGs. Shit, why not get Karl Malone and Dirk on the phone too?

Why are you acting like Shootcrook and Rose are gonna have anymore success than those guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom