• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stealth Fox

Rodeo Clown said:
Showcasing him. David Kahn thinks he can provide veteran leadership.

Is he a model citizen and a great young man? Sign me up.

I heard that Derrick Rose fella is a nice young man too. Maybe the Timberwolves can get him.

Blackface said:
The Lakers have had two big time FA in their prime signing since the late 1970's. Acting like LA is a place young, superstar, in their prime players flock do, is ridicules.

The history of the Lakers is very predictable. A decade where they are fantastic, and win championships, followed by a slow decade of rebuilding, followed by a strong decade of championships.

They are at the end of a strong decade, and about to enter one of rebuilding. Dwight does not want to be part of a rebuilding team with no prospects.

The Lakers went through this rebuilding phase in the 90's. They got Shaq, and acquired Kobe. They were one of the YOUNGEST teams in all of basketball after 1996. It took talented young players, a developing Kobe and Phil Jackson to make them what they are right now.

They were in a unique position at that time, that they are NOT IN NOW. There are a number of NBA teams with much better prospects. With better coach's (Phill is gone), and a brighter future. It makes no sense for Dwight to sign with the Lakers.

You don't know shit. Decade of rebuilding? Go count the number of seasons they missed the playoffs.

And the only reason they had a longer than expect lull before Shaq came was Magic getting HIV, hardly something predictable.

He drafted Bynum and stuck with him even though everybody and their mother (Except Jim Buss) wanted him to trade Bynum. Is he Jerry West? No, who is? But the fact remains that under his watch the Lakers have gone to 3 straight finals and won 2 chips.

Cook for Ariza was quite big, too.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
To be fair, the wind can knock Dirk on his ass. Johnson obviously isn't any stronger.

dream said:
It's not the Blazer's fault Dirk has raggedy ass hair that gets tangled up in shit.

It's like Ralph Macchio's long jacket leading to Karina's miscue on Dancing with the Stars, am I right, dream????

Kirstie Alley is on the show, I know you fucking watch.

SamuraiX-

reilo said:
Obviously the toughest player on Portland.

I know you're not ok with that.

If he did that shit to Brian Cardinal I wouldn't even bat an eye, but wtf did Dirk ever do in this series to deserve that?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
The Stealth Fox said:
Is he a model citizen and a great young man? Sign me up.

I heard that Derrick Rose fella is a nice young man too. Maybe the Timberwolves can get him.
Don't need him when Jesus Rubio is looking for a school for his sister.

The Wolves are going to be hilariously bad again next year. They'll keep Rambis around, trade the lottery pick because Rubio is apparently coming over, pick up Raja Bell, and call it a summer. If I don't laugh, I have nothing.

dream

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
It's like Ralph Macchio's long jacket leading to Karina's miscue on Dancing with the Stars, am I right, dream????

I wish I knew what this meant. It sounds like good shit.

The thing we hear with LA is that players live and hang out in Newport Beach (The OC says hi), Malibu, Beverly Hills... Downtown LA is never mentioned.

Next vacation i´m taking i´n going to California. I have to see for myself.

If players want a good weather city, there are not a lot of choices. Miami, LA, Orlando and maybe Phoenix. (Basically the path Shaq took before he quit on being a player).

charsace said:
What has mitch actually done? For the shaq trade he took the best package available. He only got Gasol because of West. The current Lakers front office hasn't done anything. West had playoff teams before shaq even though the team was rebuilding. Lakers fans should be begging for West to return.

West wasn't in Memphis when the Gasol trade went down. Mitch has been pretty hit and miss, but his hits have been really good. Signing Kwame to only a 2 year deal (instead of say, full MLE or something) was smart because when it became apparent that he sucked, he became a nice expiring contract (hello Gasol). Drafting Bynum (credit goes to Jim Buss too) when nobody else had him on the radar. Stealing Ariza, trading for Shannon Brown while unloading Vlad's horrible contract.

Ninja Scooter said:
West wasn't in Memphis when the Gasol trade went down. Mitch has been pretty hit and miss, but his hits have been really good. Signing Kwame to only a 2 year deal (instead of say, full MLE or something) was smart because when it became apparent that he sucked, he became a nice expiring contract (hello Gasol). Drafting Bynum (credit goes to Jim Buss too) when nobody else had him on the radar. Stealing Ariza, trading for Shannon Brown while unloading Vlad's horrible contract.

He also managed not to give full maxes to Bynum (who demanded one originally) or overpay Ariza (who has been mediocre since). And LO signed for under market value, too, after playing hardball (credit to Jerry here, though).

Jumped on Barnes too, who has helped, when he became available.

charsace

Ninja Scooter said:
People still think he's the one that put the whole trade together and I believe it. The same way he scared teams away from kobe and prepared to sign shaq. He's a Laker for life and does everything he can to make sure they're good.

diehard

Fleer
AShep said:
Yeah because it's not like those guys haven't continuously failed playing alongside all-stars before...

Let's ask Amare/Marion, Boozer, and David West (lol you got me) what it was like flunking out over and over again playing alongside your prototype PGs. Shit, why not get Karl Malone and Dirk on the phone too?
Your team struggled against a bad team, and Rose looked like shit doing it, you really want to get into this?

Resilient

Should have expectd Blazers to try and rough up Dallas with alll this talk about them being soft. Good hustle this quarter for the Mavs.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
charsace said:
People still think he's the one that put the whole trade together and I believe it. The same way he scared teams away from kobe and prepared to sign shaq. He's a Laker for life and does everything he can to make sure they're good.
Kobe's the one who told everyone that Kobe wouldn't play for them.

dream

Jon_Jones_1001198.jpg

Let's see yall lie and say you wouldn't be all over that shit.

Black Mamba said:
He also managed not to give full maxes to Bynum (who demanded one originally) or overpay Ariza (who has been mediocre since). And LO signed for under market value, too, after playing hardball (credit to Jerry here, though).

Jumped on Barnes too, who has helped, when he became available.
And don't forget the biggest move of them all: keeping Kobe instead of Shaq, which everyone killed them for at the time but has turned out to be the absolute right move by Buss and Mitch. Lol at saying this front office hasn't done anything since West. What a show of basketball ignorance to say that coming off back to back titles.

charsace said:
People also believe 9/11 was an inside job and Obama is Muslim. People are stupid. West was not employed by the Memphis Grizzlies or the Lakers. Why would he give a shit?

linsivvi

Black Mamba said:

I think most of these are credit to Jerry for being a tough negotiator, for not willing to give the max while still keeping the players happy. Don't forget Fisher and Artest's contracts are very reasonable too, and I'd bet most teams would resign Farmer to a bad contract just for the sake of not breaking up a championship core.

When Jerry passes away or goes senile, it will be a real worry since his sons are dumb asses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom