• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:
You don't know shit. Decade of rebuilding? Go count the number of seasons they missed the playoffs.

And the only reason they had a longer than expect lull before Shaq came was Magic getting HIV, hardly something predictable.

Cook for Ariza was quite big, too.

Nobody wanted to come to the Lakers except Shaq, and you lucked out with Kobe. You had an extremely young team (nobody over 30). This is what drew people to the Lakers. This isn't going to happen again. You wont get Dwight, or Chris Paul. LA doesn't draw people, those in the organizationdo. The problem is they will have nobody left shortly.

Dwight, old man Kobe and Shannon Brown aren't going to win shit if Lebron, Wade and Bosh are having a tough time.

There is no incentive at all for Dwight to go to the Lakers. Not unless they part ways with their entire team, suck for a year, draft Austin Rivers, then sign him and Chris Paul.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I think a lot of that as well is that LeBron is talked about as being the best player in the league moreso than Wade.

The best players are supposed to close out games.

Personally, I think Wade is better but that's irrelevant.

I think he still gets a huge pass because of how well he played in the last 4 games of their title year, or at least how well the media thought he played. They think it was such a memorable performance that they'll probably never question wade.

Of course all those factors against Lebron are valid as well.

Blackface said:
Nobody wanted to come to the Lakers except Shaq, and you lucked out with Kobe. This isn't going to happen again. You wont get Dwight, or Chris Paul. LA doesn't draw people, those surrending it do. The problem is they will have nobody left shortly.

Dwight, old man Kobe and Shannon Brown aren't going to win shit if Lebron, Wade and Bosh are having a tough time.

There is no incentive at all for Dwight to go to the Lakers. Not unless they part ways with their entire team, such for a year, draft Austin Rivers, then sign him and Chris Paul.

Lucked out with Kobe? He demanded LAL. And where are Pau and Odom going?

I still want to know about the 2 decades of actual rebuilding.

THRILLH0

Banned
dIEHARD said:
I'm gonna go ahead and be a friend and save you some heartbreak, if you think im bad you should probably stay away from this thread.

Eh, look, I know that a lot of shit goes down in this thead that wouldn't fly elsewhere on gaf and that's partly what makes it great.

I DID get salty for a sec but you're right, I guess I can put up with the rookie hazing for a while longer ;)

Ickman3400 said:
I think he still gets a huge pass because of how well he played in the last 4 games of their title year, or at least how well the media thought he played. They think it was such a memorable performance that they'll probably never question wade.

Yeah, that too.

He's a champion and obviously also much more likeable than Lebron.

Seems like Bosh and LeBron get all the shit and Wade not much but I guess he earned his reputation(in a positive light) more than they have.

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:

Pau and Odom can't be on the same team with Kobe and a max Dwight Howard. Especially under the new CBA.

This isn't baseball.

Vestal

Slight off topic here.. well late to the party...

W T F didn't vangundy argue with the refs for more time on the clock on that last play.. It looked like they had about 3-4 seconds left instead of 1.8 when they showed the replay of the out of bounds.

numble

Blackface said:
Nobody wanted to come to the Lakers except Shaq, and you lucked out with Kobe. You had an extremely young team (nobody over 30). This is what drew people to the Lakers. This isn't going to happen again. You wont get Dwight, or Chris Paul. LA doesn't draw people, those in the organizationdo. The problem is they will have nobody left shortly.

There is no incentive at all for Dwight to go to the Lakers. Not unless they part ways with their entire team, suck for a year, draft Austin Rivers, then sign him and Chris Paul.
How did the Lakers luck out with Kobe? The Hornets wanted him and drafted Kobe.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Portland looks like they're going through the motions offensively and defensively. I don't get it. Unacceptable.

Blackface said:
Pau and Odom can't be on the same team with Kobe and a max Dwight Howard. Especially under the new CBA.

This isn't baseball.

Lakers can trade Bynum for Dwight straight up, or at the very least with a filler.

new CBA won't change trading rules.

Vestal said:
Slight off topic here.. well late to the party...

W T F didn't vangundy argue with the refs for more time on the clock on that last play.. It looked like they had about 3-4 seconds left instead of 1.8 when they showed the replay of the out of bounds.

I never noticed that but maybe the refs would have just laughed at Van Gundy as Stern did by "controlling" him earlier in the year.

Interesting point though, could have helped them get a better shot to miss badly.

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:
Lakers can trade Bynum for Dwight straight up, or at the very least with a filler.

new CBA won't change trading rules.

You have a cap. You will be over the cap. Bird rights are going to be changed. Lakers are spending 91 million this season, and the cap is 58. They still have 62 million on the books for YEARS to come.

The League doesn't just want to lower the cap, they want a HARD cap.

You can't financially make it work when Dwight wants a new contract.

numble said:
No filler required. One salary can be 125% of the other.

yup. I only mentioned filler if needed because i didn't check the numbers for myself.

You have a cap. You will be over the cap. Bird rights are going to be changed. Lakers are spending 91 million this season, and the cap is 58. They still have 62 million on the books for YEARS to come.

They can still trade over the cap.

hard cap? I believe it when I see it.

linsivvi

Black Mamba said:

Don't get too worked up with him. Unlike some trolls this guy is for real with his hate. And he'll be hating for a long, long time to come considering every semi-decent player his team ever drafted left them during free agency.

linsivvi said:
Don't get too worked up with him. Unlike some trolls this guy is for real with his hate. And he'll be hating for a long, long time to come considering every semi-decent player his team ever drafted left them during free agency.

Oh, I know. Can't blame him when his team's future consists of Derozen and Bargnani.

KuGsj.gif

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:
yup. I only mentioned filler if needed because i didn't check the numbers for myself.

They can still trade over the cap.

hard cap? I believe it when I see it.

The new CBA is going into effect before this trade is likely going to happen. The league already stated a number of rules, including Bird Rights are being changed.

The chances of them being able to trade a broken Bynum for Dwight, then re-sign Dwight to a max contract under the new CBA and keep anyone but Kobe, is slim to none. Owners don't want super teams, they don't want this stuff happening. It won't be able to happen.

I don't think a Hardcap will come into place, but if it does, you couldn't even keep the team you HAVE now.

Blackface

Banned
linsivvi said:

I don't hate anyone. WTF. Before the season even started I said I wanted Lakers to win it all, specially over the Heat.

I am being realistic. It's not hate.

numble

Blackface said:

The League doesn't just want to lower the cap, they want a HARD cap.

You can't financially make it work when Dwight wants a new contract.
Players aren't going to agree to a hard cap. Big market owners aren't going to agree. What will end up is that big market teams are going to subsidize small market teams through revenue sharing. Lakers are going to make $200 million a year on TV alone, not including the high gate receipts at Staples. Knicks make more through MSGTV and Nets make a ton through YES. The other owners want a piece of that.

You either get a hard cap OR revenue sharing, but not both, because both punish big market teams. I bet owners are 50/50 on that.

The players are 100% against a hard cap and would vote for anything else, including revenue sharing.

Blackface said:
The new CBA is going into effect before this trade is likely going to happen. The league already stated a number of rules, including Bird Rights are being changed.

The chances of them being able to trade a broken Bynum for Dwight, then re-sign Dwight to a max contract under the new CBA and keep anyone but Kobe, is slim to none. Owners don't want super teams, they don't want this stuff happening. It won't be able to happen.

I don't think a Hardcap will come into place, but if it does, you couldn't even keep the team you HAVE now.

The dirty secret most people don't know is there already is a hard cap (no, not luxury tax). It's the 58% must be allocated to the players. This serves as an actual hard cap. But it's not on a team basis.

The league doesn't want a team hard cap, despite Stern's smoke blowing. What it really wants, besides a lower % going to the players, is better revenue sharing. The league as a whole makes more by having teams like Miami, LAL, etc being superteams, but some teams struggle as a result. So what they need to do is make some of the money come back to them from other channels. And that is what will happen.

The last thing the NBA wants is parity where Spurs vs Nets NBA Finals (and teams like them) become the norm. This would kill the league.

Whatever happens, I guarantee you teams like the Lakers will be protected. Stern is not an idiot. He knows where the $$$ lies.

Ratings are at its highest levels in forever. Stern isn't going to break that up. A lot of what he says is a bargaining tactic but it's not for real.

The Stealth Fox

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I was joking about our earlier conversation and Gigglepoo's observation at the end of it.

I'm shocked that he put Kobe in top six all-time. That's nuts.

He's just mad because the Houston Rockets owe him money or something. He's a well-known Rockets hater.

numble

Black Mamba said:
The dirty secret most people don't know is there already is a hard cap (no, not luxury tax). It's the 58% must be allocated to the players. This serves as an actual hard cap. But it's not on a team basis.

The league doesn't want a team hard cap, despite Stern's smoke blowing. What it really wants, besides a lower % going to the players, is better revenue sharing. The league as a whole makes more by having teams like Miami, LAL, etc being superteams, but some teams struggle as a result. So what they need to do is make some of the money come back to them from other channels. And that is what will happen.

The last thing the NBA wants is parity where Spurs vs Nets NBA Finals (and teams like them) become the norm. This would kill the league.

Whatever happens, I guarantee you teams like the Lakers will be protected. Stern is not an idiot. He knows where the $$$ lies.

Ratings are at its highest levels in forever. Stern isn't going to break that up. A lot of what he says is a bargaining tactic but it's not for real.
Hey, that's my idea!

Darkman M

The Stealth Fox said:
I'm shocked that he put Kobe in top six all-time. That's nuts.

He's just mad because the Houston Rockets owe him money or something. He's a well-known Rockets hater.
I'm shocked too , but Kobe is in my top 6 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom