• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkaz01

Bishman said:
Woj is an idiot. He picked Portland in 4. These experts don't know shit.
Woj is more of a writer than a basketball analyst. He just calls it like it is unlike espn.

and dudley is awesome i am happy the suns got him to sign an extension and not run off to a contender.

exarkun said:
Hay guyz, just got back from the game.

Fuckkkkkkk it was nuts. Again, the Lakers played well but the Mavs finished. I hate Terry, but Gotdamn can Dirk just ball. Got....damn.

Lakers-age, it was a good run. Kobe shoulda gotten ring number 3. But, thats what happens when you don't have shaq. You get stuck with a puss.

Pooooooop. Poooooooop. Ughhhhh man the game was so good. And the after parties were even better. I dunno, but good luck to Maavs fans.

Okay some one has to explain this to me, why is there a lot of hate for Terry? The man is a good player, always has been.

benjipwns

Banned
Black Mamba said:
What I'm saying is he was trying to prove a point to management that the players around him suck. What point would he be proving this Sunday? That they didn't step up? They already know that. They don't need to trade any of the core players, so I fail to see the reasoning.

And in fairness to Kobe, he stopped in the 2nd half only when they were down 20.

edit: Most Dallas fans were not actually picking Dallas, so let's come down off that high horse (though I agree they ain't experts). Heck, I know a Dallas fan who was just hoping they would win a game or 2.
It seems I thought I posted something I didn't. I wanted to say something about how they go into game four means a lot. Does Kobe go out and jack, or refuse to shoot. Or something else, does everyone else give up, etc. Similar to how the Cavs went out last year.

I don't know if the edit is addressed to me, I'm far from a Dallas fan, I just screwed up posting. I didn't think Dallas would take the series like many others. As a reminder since I don't post all that much, I'm the stat nutjob. (And when forced to pick an -age goes with Pistons-age because I love misery and live in Michigan so I see all the games.)
ghostofsparta said:
Okay some one has to explain this to me, why is there a lot of hate for Terry? The man is a good player, always has been.
You seen the .gif?

giri

ghostofsparta said:
Because for every game he wins, he loses 2.

dIEHARD said:
I've never disliked Terry. He will do dumb stuff but the man is clutch.

Black Mamba said:
Terry is a bitch.

terryface.gif

benjipwns

Banned
Black Mamba said:
benji - the edit was to bish posting the yahoo picks. i'm also a stats nutjob. :D

Tonight, just a sad nutjob. :(
That's fine, I just figure nobody remembers me even though I've been posting off and on for four years or so.

I mostly try to snark or the like on here during playoffs, stats are, for whatever reason, too hard to explain to people to bother.

Resilient

ghostofsparta said:

During the season he talked a lot of shit and got burned for it nearly every match. Sometimes he will do some seriously dumb shit (2 backcourt violations in game 6 v Portland in the 4th? terry.gif), but he will always make up for it. I love the bastard. He really pulled through tonight. Fuck the haters.

smurfx

get some go again
Black Mamba said:
It was actually amazing last last season the Lakers essentially won without a 3 point threat outside Fisher.

This season started so promising with Shannon, Blake, Barnes, and Lamar all hitting their 3s. But they cooled off fast and only Fish can consistently hit em, but he's never open anymore. Ron is streaky as fuck, too.

It's really hurt the offense in the playoffs.

I would love to have Dudley on this team. He would fit in well and hit those 3s. Lakers need a 3 point threat in a bad way.
have the lakers ever even had a constant 3 point threat? i feel everybody the lakers bring in for their 3 point shot always ends up disappointing. maybe i have a bad memory but i was always disappointed with the lakers 3 point shots. the only year where i remember having a great 3 point threat was 2001 when fisher came back from injury and torched everybody in the playoffs.

benjipwns said:
That's fine, I just figure nobody remembers me even though I've been posting off and on for four years or so.

I mostly try to snark or the like on here during playoffs, stats are, for whatever reason, too hard to explain to people to bother.

you can always talk to me about 'em!

have the lakers ever even had a constant 3 point threat? i feel everybody the lakers bring in for their 3 point shot always ends up disappointing. maybe i have a bad memory but i was always disappointed with the lakers 3 point shots. the only year where i remember having a great 3 point threat was 2001 when fisher came back from injury and torched everybody in the playoffs.

Fox, Shaw, Horry, an Fish were all legit 3 point threats. It's what made defending Kobe and Shaq so difficult. And Horry made it really unique, him being a PF.

edit: And Glen Rice in '00 to that mix. Kobe didn't need to shoot 3s back then.

Had Fish, Sasha, Radman in '08 (though using Space Cadet as any asset...).

In '09 Lamar and ariza inexplicably joined Fish in the postseason. Lamar like 40%, Ariza nearly 50%.

giri

Black Mamba said:

Fox, Shaw, Horry, an Fish were all legit 3 point threats. It's what made defending Kobe and Shaq so difficult. And Horry made it really unique, him being a PF.

Had Fish, Sasha, Radman in '08 (though using Space Cadet as any asset...).

In '09 Lamar and ariza inexplicably joined Fish in the postseason. Lamar like 40%, Ariza nearly 50%.
i swear you're john hollinger. you just created an account here because you got sick of us making fun of PER and your power rankings.

smurfx

get some go again
lol forgot about fox. damn i don't remember that much about his play. i don't remember glen rice's 3 point shot being that great.

Darkman M

charsace said:
As I've said before, Lakers are getting ready for a rebuild. Kobe has been done since they won the first title with Pau. Lamar isn't what he used to be. And something happened to Pau this season that caused his play to drop off.

Kobe is done. His lateral quickness was never elite like Jordan, Iverson or Wade, but now he moves laterally at around the same speed a guy like Granger moves. His lift and explosiveness are gone. Every couple of games are so he can look like old Kobe and catch a dunk or two because he's rested and didn't go all out in the couple of games prior. Kobe makes his living the same way Pierce and Allen do; great footwork combined with shooting, pump fakes and other types of hesitation fakes. Even if he does get a guy pinned on his hip he doesn't have the ability to consistently take them so he will stop short and pull up or do one of his amazing fakes.

When kobe has his man off balance he can be fun to watch with all the skills he shows, but if a guy is wise to what he'll try to do Kobe can be painful to watch. If he was 6'5 instead of 6'7 he would have a lot more trouble getting his shot off because of how much lift and explosiveness he's lost. And this is even though he has excellent body control.

I still think next season will be his last.
How was he done in 08-09? that shit dosent make a bit of since, and you really think Lakers fans haven't realized he's slower at age 32 then he was in his athletic prime?

benjipwns

Banned
Black Mamba said:
Once I get my time series three year dataset setup properly maybe I will. My one year set called the Eastern playoff teams a year ago right, but that's never ideal and I didn't have time to set up a proper one before this year.

Not a big fan of making claims I can't backup with proper sample sizes. Unless I'm just rambling about random things I've seen. Which is why I lean towards the snark mostly. Nuances are also hard on a thread where you could be on the next page by the time you respond.

giri said:
i swear you're john hollinger. you just created an account here because you got sick of us making fun of PER and your power rankings.

But I don't like PER that much because it rewards inefficient shooting and ignores defense really. But it has its uses, albeit limited.

I actually am more interesting in team based statistics right now than individual ones, mostly because individual stats are incorrectly tabulated (IMO) and a lot of stats are missing from the box score.

Once I get my time series three year dataset setup properly maybe I will. My one year set called the Eastern playoff teams a year ago right, but that's never ideal and I didn't have time to set up a proper one before this year.

Sounds cool.

edit: Rice was an amazing 3 point shooter. An All-timer, in fact.

benjipwns

Banned
Black Mamba said:
I actually am more interesting in team based statistics right now than individual ones, mostly because individual stats are incorrectly tabulated (IMO) and a lot of stats are missing from the box score.
You can do a ton with the play by play data, box scores are far more limited. You can explain a lot of the team level data, really a ton, with individual data if you're using play by play.

Synergy is obvious another step, but, you know...the cost.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If anything, this sets up a likely Bulls or Heat Championship if both of those teams can take care of business. The west is looking more boring unfortunately. Bulls vs Heat would be as good as any finals.

giri

LiquidMetal14 said:
If anything, this sets up a likely Bulls or Heat Championship if both of those teams can take care of business. The west is looking more boring unfortunately. Bulls vs Heat would be as good as any finals.
Except if the griz get there, they have the defenders vs the heat, and a front court that will make bosh & joel anthony resemble a pro-lapsed asshole by the end of the series.

And OKC are floppy enough, didn't they beat the heat with just westbrook flopping 30 times?

Write off dirk at your own peril.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not really surprised seeing what's happening with the Lakers. When they got hot at the end of the season I thought their ailments might have been cured, but apparently not. It's interesting to go back and look at what Kobe has done and said this season. I don't think there's any question that he's the "leader" of the team. And what he's done both in-game, and through body language and his comments during the season seemed odd to me. Whenever there was an issue for the Lakers this season he seemed to completely ignore it and just say "We need to focus on winning" or something like that. While true in a sense, if your team has major issues, whether they be internally, or whether it be something like Kobe taking too many shots as he did for part of the season, or Pau not being aggressive enough, or whatever it is, those issues need to be addressed before you can "move on" and focus on winning. Kobe is arrogant to the point where he believes unrealistic things. Just like after going down 3-0 last night he said "I still think we're going to win this series." I mean I'm all for positive thinking, and hey when Phil Jackson is your coach, I don't know if you can ever be counted out completely, but be somewhat realistic and at least say "Obviously this has never been done in history, but I think we have the right group assembled to hunker down and do it." Or something. I mean come on. The Lakers shot pretty well last night and they still couldn't overcome the Mavs.

In summary, every team has ups and downs, and distractions they face during a season, but I don't think the Lakers have handled theirs well and it's coming down on them. Between Kobe being selfish and unrealistic throughout the season, to Pau losing his aggressiveness, possibly playing too many minutes early on, to Lamar being on a reality show, to there being speculation about Phil's successor, and whatever other internal team issues there are.

One thing that interested me was how good Odom was at SF. It was seriously on some cheesetacular shit and I'm surprised it was never actually really tried during the regular season.

Because now that Odom is no longer a pussy he's easily capable of posting up pretty much any SF in the league outside of maybe Melo/Bron. I'm surprised Theo and Joe didn't get more burn so that the team could be more versatile.

Didn't really care for Phils coaching in the post season. Pretty trash. He's done enough though.

Edit: Really dumb writing off OKC...I think Gondo could be a really happy dude by the time this season is over. Durant is a maryland guy so I'm not even mad.

SamuraiX-

Dark FaZe said:
One thing that interested me was how good Odom was at SF. It was seriously on some cheesetacular shit and I'm surprised it was never actually really tried during the regular season.

Because now that Odom is no longer a pussy he's easily capable of posting up pretty much any SF in the league outside of maybe Melo/Bron. I'm surprised Theo and Joe didn't get more burn so that the team could be more versatile.

I honestly can't see any SF in the league being able to guard him when was posting up like that.

He was using a combination of strength, speed, and finesse that very few players in this league can do when in the post, which also makes him near impossible to guard with single coverage.

This stuff happens to teams, I guess. Who knows, they could be back in the finals next year. I find that sometimes we live so much in the moment but if you look back in the history of the league, great teams have had off-years and then bounced back the years after.

Anyways, I just want this year's to be the Heat's year. And the next. And the next. And so on...

Derwind

Cloudy said:
But they didn't hard-double. He always had the ball when the help came...

Whatever, I'm off to bed. I hope we get swept so Phil is finally gone and Fish retires. What a disaster. Hopefully JVG becomes the next coach.

I wouldn't wish any team JVG annoying face.

Sure he's not a bad coach on paper, has taken the teams he coached 9 times out of his 11 year coaching tenure to the playoffs. He had gone to the NBA finals once as head coach. And his winning% is .575 but still....

I fucking hate that guy sooooo much. The absolutely dumbest play by play analyst in the fucking NBA....

EvilMario said:
http://i.imgur.com/BwDyn.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

It makes sense how the order went.

I'd smash and bang with Portman...first...

Second, I'd chill with the President, while he entertains me by ordering his secret service to jump through flaming hoops. Probably play so b-ball with him before I leave, my midget ass will lose....

And third, I'd hang out with Big 'ol Snaq, dude's bound to make my sides crack open with his jokes...

the rest on the list I couldn't care for.....

thekad

Banned
benjipwns said:

Even "rate" stats go over heads here in NBAgaf.

dIEHARD said:
I'm sick of that low res one thekad, don't say i never did anything for you.

di-39A5.gif

*saved*

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ESPN Stats & Info: Nowitzki is now 19-of-25 from the floor — for 45 points — when being guarded by Gasol this series.

reilo said:
ESPN Stats & Info: Nowitzki is now 19-of-25 from the floor — for 45 points — when being guarded by Gasol this series.
I really don't understand phil sometimes.
He knows pau is getting lit. HARD.
Put bynum on him and stick to those outside shooters. How difficult is that to grasp?

Tom Penny

Blackface said:
Kobe's 17 point performance didn't help last night to say the least.

Laker fans throwing Pau under the bus.

Pau is the new scapegoat. He carries Kobe and the Lakers to back to back titles and gets shitted on now.

Gigglepoo

Blackface said:
Mainly because Kobe isn't as good as a prime Shaq and never was.

Shaq was unstoppable in his prime, but he was such a lazy bastard that he didn't consistently take advantage of his superiority.

thekad

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Pau is the new scapegoat. He carries Kobe and the Lakers to back to back titles and gets shitted on now.

Why did Pau allow Kobe to go 0-4 in crunch time?

SHIP HIS ASS OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom