• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.
bjb said:
When he was out of the league?

The Rockets wouldn't have won shit if Michael didn't retire.
His dominance was and will continue to remain unmatched. Unlike Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan didn't choke in big games. Or quit on his team like Kobe did tonight.

Jordan was playing for the Bulls when the Rockets won their 1995 championship. Sure he wasn't at full strength but he was playing

initiald said:
Still Desi said:
initiald said:
I said TRADE TRADE TRADE. WHO SAID THE LAKERS ARE GOING TO SIGN THEM? If we do, then it would be 2014. So at worse, we stay mediocre and slowly rebuild until 2014 when both Kobe/Pau 50 mils off the book. We can snap someone by then.
Ok we are back to square 1. For either of these teams to trade with LA, Howard or Cp3 would have to demand they will only sign with LA (because other teams can offer better than LA's package).
So tell me again why Howard or Cp3 will only want to sign with Lakers (and the answer can't be well duh because they are the Lakers).
1. Big markets = more $$ in off-basketball related revenue. Especially Dwight can land a movie deal with his acting skill.

2. A combination of Cp3/Dwight is already good enough to compete for top 4 in the west. Adding a Kobe (Although not elite, but still an Allstar), that is enough to contend until Kobe's contract expire in 2014. Then Kobe can either resign at MLE. The Lakers can at least have some flexibility to add some muscle to team.

3. Lakers history of competing for championship will make CP3/Howard want to play here. So I don't think it's a problem. Both of them won't turn down a chance to play for the Lakers.

4. Perfect chance for them to come over and revive the franchise after a down season. No pressure of winning ring in their first year.

5. If they succeed at reviving the Lakers, both are be instant Hall of Fame if they're not already.

6. Pau/Bynum/LO core is a tremendous package that can land some big-time player. Like I said, Dwight and CP3 chance of resigning with their teams are very slim considering Magic/Hornet have NO chance of getting out of the EAST/WEST.

7. Lakers fan are some of the best in the NBA. Without us, the NBA is NOTHING.

ror @ realgm

That you, TripleMamba?

charsace

As I've said before, Lakers are getting ready for a rebuild. Kobe has been done since they won the first title with Pau. Lamar isn't what he used to be. And something happened to Pau this season that caused his play to drop off.

Kobe is done. His lateral quickness was never elite like Jordan, Iverson or Wade, but now he moves laterally at around the same speed a guy like Granger moves. His lift and explosiveness are gone. Every couple of games are so he can look like old Kobe and catch a dunk or two because he's rested and didn't go all out in the couple of games prior. Kobe makes his living the same way Pierce and Allen do; great footwork combined with shooting, pump fakes and other types of hesitation fakes. Even if he does get a guy pinned on his hip he doesn't have the ability to consistently take them so he will stop short and pull up or do one of his amazing fakes.

When kobe has his man off balance he can be fun to watch with all the skills he shows, but if a guy is wise to what he'll try to do Kobe can be painful to watch. If he was 6'5 instead of 6'7 he would have a lot more trouble getting his shot off because of how much lift and explosiveness he's lost. And this is even though he has excellent body control.

I still think next season will be his last.

Adam Blade said:
ror @ realgm

That you, TripleMamba?

haha, nah. I hate that place. Also, I joke about Dwight. This is our team going forward minus a few tweaks. Maybe Lakers can dupe Karl into trading us Felton, but that's about it.

It's about to become Spurs II. :(

When kobe has his man off balance he can be fun to watch with all the skills he shows, but if a guy is wise to what he'll try to do Kobe can be painful to watch. If he was 6'5 instead of 6'7 he would have a lot more trouble getting his shot off because of how much lift and explosiveness he's lost. And this is even though he has excellent body control.

Realtalk: Kobe is 6'5.

Gabyskra

Banned
Pau Gasol is a scapegoat. That's all Lakers fans have because they won't admit that Kobe is a step slower, Bynum does not deliver as planned (is he at Bosh level even?) and their bench is terrible. I mean, sure, Gasol is not playing well, averaging 13 and 10 more or less against the Mavs... but he's not the sole reason they're on the verge of getting swept.

charsace

Black Mamba said:
haha, nah. I hate that place. Also, I joke about Dwight. This is our team going forward minus a few tweaks. Maybe Lakers can dupe Karl into trading us Felton, but that's about it.

It's about to become Spurs II. :(

Realtalk: Kobe is 6'5.
I doubt this. He was 6'5 without shoes his rookie year and grew to 6'6 in his second season. You play with shoes so he's 6'7 on the court. During is second season the Lakers said there was a chance that he could reach 6'9. His infatuation with Jordan is why he's always listed as 6'6. The same reason Durant is listed as 6'9 even though he's 6'10 or 6'11.

Gabyskra said:
Pau Gasol is a scapegoat. That's all Lakers fans have because they won't admit that Kobe is a step slower, Bynum does not deliver as planned (is he at Bosh level even?) and their bench is terrible. I mean, sure, Gasol is not playing well, averaging 13 and 10 more or less against the Mavs... but he's not the sole reason they're on the verge of getting swept.
Since the allstar break Pau has been terrible. He isn't giving what he was before and it shows how important he is to the Lakers.

Gabyskra said:

you obviously don't read my posts.

I doubt this. He was 6'5 without shoes his rookie year and grew to 6'6 in his second season. You play with shoes so he's 6'7 on the court. During is second season the Lakers said there was a chance that he could reach 6'9. His infatuation with Jordan is why he's always listed as 6'6. The same reason Durant is listed as 6'9 even though he's 6'10 or 6'11.

eh, I've read for years he's really 6'5. I've stood on the court near him twice and I'm pretty sure he's closer to 6'5 than 6'7. You can really tell how much shorter he is when he stands next to other guys who are legit 6'6, 6'7.

A lot of NBA players fudge their height. Iverson being listed at 6 feet was LOL.

edit: Durant is definitely 6'10 in my view. Also, Kobe is shorter than Sasha Vujacic and Sasha is 6'7.

SamuraiX- said:
I can't wait until TCB gets back and starts a fucking war with Lakers Age about who had the more embarrassing Playoff exit.

2 things:

1) 5pur5 were swept last year in the playoffs and then

2) lost in 6 to a Grizzlies franchise THAT HAD NEVER WON A SINGLE PLAYOFF GAMES, much less a series.

And they won DAT 61 games.

This round goes to the 5pur5 in a landslide.

charsace

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Yeah, what the fuck, Durant is not far from 7 foot to me.

Next thing you know, they will be saying Dirk is 6'8".
Its because he doesn't want to play the 4(I think his future is at this spot though). Same reason Bosh and Garnett are 6'11 even though Garnett is like 7'1 and Bosh is 7'0.

SamuraiX-

I'm surprised Lakers fans aren't complaining about this:

The Mavs jacked up 16 more 3s than you guys, yet they somehow got to the line 15 more times.

dat home cookin'

charsace said:
Its because he doesn't want to play the 4(I think his future is at this spot though). Same reason Bosh and Garnett are 6'11 even though Garnett is like 7'1 and Bosh is 7'0.

I don't know about all that but looking at Kobe on the court, no way he is 6'5".

He's 6'6" AT LEAST.

benjipwns

Banned
charsace said:
I've never gotten this with the stars. Do they think people won't notice who's actually taller on the team?

It's like the whole starting Duncan or whoever at F and then having them guard centers all game long. Or like the weight of everyone ever.

One of those things that just doesn't matter but people insist on.

SamuraiX-

charsace said:

The problem with Durant is that he can't dribble, nor does he have any semblance of a post game.

It's hard to play him at any other position besides SF at this size.

Personally, I'd put him at the 2 and put either Sef or Frauden at the 3... not like that does shit though.

benjipwns said:
I've never gotten this with the stars. Do they think people won't notice who's actually taller on the team?

i understand wanting to say you're taller than you are (barkley, iverson), but I don't understand saying you're smaller.

I don't know about all that but looking at Kobe on the court, no way he is 6'5".

He's 6'6" AT LEAST.

he's probably 6'5.5 really.

It's hard to play him at any other position besides SF at this size.

position doesn't mean shit. Lebron plays PG (and Wade). Neither play shooting guard on offense. Either PG or SF.

A lot of SGs play like SF/PG and other guys play like SG (james Jones, Fisher, Peja, etc). Boston is one of the teams where height/position matches up with role.

charsace

SamuraiX- said:
The problem with Durant is that he can't dribble, nor does he have any semblance of a post game.
He dribbles pretty well for a guy his size. He can also do some basic things in the post. Thunder run a shitty offense though. I seriously think Durant and Harden could work really well together in a different type of offense. Harden reminds of Manu. The problem is Westbrook. Westbrook is good, I just don't think he fits in well.

Cloudy

Banned
Just thinking about it some more. LA really let Dallas off the hook this series. They panicked and overreacted to gm 1.

Suddenly we go away from Kobe attacking and make Bynum the first option and we don't sniff 100 pts in the next 2 games. Pau still sucks, bench still sucks and defense still sucks but we cut Kobe's production forcefeeding the bigs while he's being guarded by Jason Kidd. Unbelievable...

Cloudy said:
Just thinking about it some more. LA really let Dallas off the hook this series. They panicked and overreacted to gm 1.

Suddenly we go away from Kobe attacking and make Bynum the first option and we don't sniff 100 pts in the next 2 games. Pau still sucks, bench still sucks and defense still sucks but we cut Kobe's production forcefeeding the bigs while he's being guarded by Jason Kidd. Unbelievable...

Do you really think Kobe stopped attacking. First off, by attacking you mean shooting long jumpshots, because he didn't take a single shot in the paint in game 1.

Second, none of this prevents 40% 3 point shootin.

Third, Kobe was doubled a LOT these past 2 games.

They didn't overreact. It didn't matter. They took 20 3s in game 2 and made TWO. What does this have to do with feeding the post? Tonight they made what, 2 3s again? It didn't matter.

Cloudy

Banned
Black Mamba said:
Do you really think Kobe stopped attacking. First off, by attacking you mean shooting long jumpshots, because he didn't take a single shot in the paint in game 1.

Second, none of this prevents 40% 3 point shootin.

Third, Kobe was doubled a LOT these past 2 games.

They didn't overreact. It didn't matter. They took 20 3s in game 2 and made TWO. What does this have to do with feeding the post? Tonight they made what, 2 3s again? It didn't matter.

He has shot 50% on the series. He is a jumpshooter and he's making them at a good clip. Yeah he was doubled a bit but I feel the offense should always go through him.

He took 29 in gm1, then 20, then 16. It's fucking dumb to change the way you played all season looking for mismatches! A lot of those stupid 3s were the bigs (Pau especially) kicking out with the clock running down when they have NOTHING! If you ask the Mavs who they'd rather have shooting, it'd be Bynum over Kobe

Bynum was 9/16, though. That's better than 50%.

And the offense did run through Kobe all night. But they doubled him a lot. They didn't let him shoot.

the problem is Kobe cannot get into the paint. If he can't drive, the offense bogs down. The triangle RELIES on slashing with the ball. Kobe can't do it right now, whether it's the ankle or whatever. It's painfully obvious.

If that's the case, and they're doubling him, it's tough to get a lot of shots up. The shots went down because Dallas adjusted their defense after game 1. Would I like Kobe to have shot a bit more? Sure. but i didn't really see opportunities for it without driving.

Cloudy

Banned
He had the opportunities but they are pounding the ball inside. You guys are ridiculous acting if Kobe is some old guy. He is not a driver. His game is mid-range and he can get off his shot anytime if he wants to.

I will be really upset if Kobe doesn't tell Phil to fuck off in gm4 and at least avoid a sweep..

Cloudy said:
He had the opportunities but they are pounding the ball inside. I will be really upset if Kobe doesn't tell Phil to fuck off in gm4 and at least avoid a sweep..

You need to have your eyes examined. if Kobe could attack, he would. he simply can't. He's never been one to avoid breaking the offense, so why not now?

You just don't want to believe Kobe has slowed down, especially since the injury.

Cloudy

Banned
Ok let's have an avatar bet. Kobe will get 30+ next game even though he "can't attack". Will you take that bet?

It's like you didn't see game 1. When Kobe's looking to score, he comes down, goes to his spot and fires. Thjese last 2 games, he's holding the ball on the perimeter and swinging it around or forcing it inside. Disgusting...

Cloudy said:
Ok let's have an avatar bet. Kobe will get 30+ next game even though he "can't attack". Will you take that bet?

It's like you didn't see game 1. When Kobe's looking to score, he comes down, goes to his spot and fires. Thjese last 2 games, he's holding the ball on the perimeter and swinging it around or forcing it inside. Disgusting...

30+ on 50%+ shooting? Or 13/35?

And he's being doubled now. he wasn't doubled in game 1. Those spots aren't there.

I'm sure he will try to shoot more, but he's also due to miss some shots. He's shooting well above his season and career norm on long 2s right now.

I want to see him get into the paint.

Cloudy

Banned
30+ on roughly 50%. Jason Kidd cannot guard him and if he plays instinctively instead of following this bullshit plan, he can shoot before the help arrives.

Blackface

Banned
Gabyskra said:

This is basically the problem. Some Laker fans are delusional and want to use Pau as the scapegoat. He is defiantly part of the problem, but the Lakers as a whole are playing like shit.

I wouldn't Blame Bynum, and no he isn't as good as Chris Bosh is. Bynum is doing what he can for his skill level. He is a third option guy, having to play a second and sometimes first option roll in these playoffs. Tonight, he is basically the first option. He got his 21-10, he did his job, but in the playoffs, those are second option numbers.

Everyone else, including Kobe let the Lakers down tonight.

Overall for the series, it really isn't Kobe to be blamed. He looked a step behind in the first round, but was producing well for his age in the first two games against Dallas. He isn't young in his prime Kobe anymore. He can't go out and drop 30 a night in the playoffs. It's not going to happen.

The Lakers are not clicking at all, and there seems to be chemistry issues. If they can't come back, this seems like the end of the current Lakers era. If they can't land a top flight FA or trade for a a great player, it may be back to the drawing board for the Lakers shortly.

Cloudy

Banned
He can't go out and drop 30 a night in the playoffs. It's not going to happen.

Umm, yes he can if he gets 20-25 FGAs. But he's just a post-entry passer now. Pathetic. I don't think his pride will allow him to be swept out with mediocre numbers like tonight though..

benjipwns said:
Or maybe it'll be like that game seven (was it?) against Phoenix during the dynasty lull.

No, in that game he was trying to prove he needed better players around him. That won't be the case Sunday That team had 0 chance at a title. This one had a good one.

30+ on roughly 50%. Jason Kidd cannot guard him and if he plays instinctively instead of following this bullshit plan, he can shoot before the help arrives.

He's not "following a plan." You're delusional. Bynum didn't get a single touch in the 4th quarter. Kobe took some really poor shots in the 4th too. Did you miss those? You're blind.

Amazingly, I actually agree with blackface.

Bishman

reilo said:
1zvem2e.jpg
Woj is an idiot. He picked Portland in 4. These experts don't know shit.

Cloudy said:
Are you taking my bet or not?

No. because Dallas is up 3-0. They might play lazy defense on him and revert back to game 1 where they let him shoot.

I'm not saying Kobe can't or won't put up 30. But if Dallas plays hard doubles like they did tonight AND Kobe can't attack the hoop, then he won't.

But I don't know what Dallas will do.

If they HAD one, what's the point.

What I'm saying is he was trying to prove a point to management that the players around him suck. What point would he be proving this Sunday? That they didn't step up? They already know that. They don't need to trade any of the core players, so I fail to see the reasoning.

And in fairness to Kobe, he stopped in the 2nd half only when they were down 20.

edit: Most Dallas fans were not actually picking Dallas, so let's come down off that high horse (though I agree they ain't experts). Heck, I know a Dallas fan who was just hoping they would win a game or 2.

Cloudy

Banned
But they didn't hard-double. He always had the ball when the help came...

Whatever, I'm off to bed. I hope we get swept so Phil is finally gone and Fish retires. What a disaster. Hopefully JVG becomes the next coach.

exarkun

Hay guyz, just got back from the game.

Fuckkkkkkk it was nuts. Again, the Lakers played well but the Mavs finished. I hate Terry, but Gotdamn can Dirk just ball. Got....damn.

Lakers-age, it was a good run. Kobe shoulda gotten ring number 3. But, thats what happens when you don't have shaq. You get stuck with a puss.

Pooooooop. Poooooooop. Ughhhhh man the game was so good. And the after parties were even better. I dunno, but good luck to Maavs fans.

giri

ryutaro's mama said:
You bring up a great point.

The Lakers have no real 3 point threat on their team.
With out being a troll, outside kobe, is there really anyone who you have to respect from 3 on the lakers? i know ron CAN hit them, but doesn't shoot very many, blake/barnes used to be able too (barnes is extremely streaky though). Odom likes to shoot them but it's never a great idea, and shanon/fisher.... welllll

looking into it. Ron shoot the 3 well in the regular season (.350) but only put up 2.8 a game, making 1 a game.

Barnes is down around .300 (around .200 in the play offs).
Blake surprisingly is around .350 in the post season.
shannon .350 regular, .200 post season
Kobe .333 post season
Fisher .467 post season (.8 made on 1.7 attempted per game)
odom .200 post season.

Apart from fisher (that really surprises me) none of them are really a 3pt threat. Compare that to dudley, .415 for the regular season (1.3 made on 3.1 attempted per 26min), it's just not the same. It would help if someone on the team would make them more consistently, would make doubling bynum/pau in the post much more of a gamble.

giri said:
With out being a troll, outside kobe, is there really anyone who you have to respect from 3 on the lakers? i know ron CAN hit them, but doesn't shoot very many, blake/barnes used to be able too (barnes is extremely streaky though). Odom likes to shoot them but it's never a great idea, and shanon/fisher.... welllll

looking into it. Ron shoot the 3 well in the regular season (.350) but only put up 2.8 a game, making 1 a game.

Barnes is down around .300 (around .200 in the play offs).
Blake surprisingly is around .350 in the post season.
shannon .350 regular, .200 post season
Kobe .333 post season
Fisher .467 post season (.8 made on 1.7 attempted per game)
odom .200 post season.

Apart from fisher (that really surprises me) none of them are really a 3pt threat. Compare that to dudley, .415 for the regular season (1.3 made on 3.1 attempted per 26min), it's just not the same. It would help if someone on the team would make them more consistently, would make doubling bynum/pau in the post much more of a gamble.

It was actually amazing last last season the Lakers essentially won without a 3 point threat outside Fisher.

This season started so promising with Shannon, Blake, Barnes, and Lamar all hitting their 3s. But they cooled off fast and only Fish can consistently hit em, but he's never open anymore. Ron is streaky as fuck, too.

It's really hurt the offense in the playoffs.

I would love to have Dudley on this team. He would fit in well and hit those 3s. Lakers need a 3 point threat in a bad way.

giri

Black Mamba said:
It was actually amazing last last season the Lakers essentially won without a 3 point threat outside Fisher.

This season started so promising with Shannon, Blake, Barnes, and Lamar all hitting their 3s. But they cooled off fast and only Fish can consistently hit em, but he's never open anymore. Ron is streaky as fuck, too.

It's really hurt the offense in the playoffs.

I would love to have Dudley on this team. He would fit in well and hit those 3s. Lakers need a 3 point threat in a bad way.
he'd have stolen lamar's 6th man award on the lakers :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom