• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekad

Banned
Lakers won in '09 because of injuries. They won in '10 because of terrible officiating (just like in '02) and Perkins' injury.

These are the real Lakers.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ninja Scooter said:
That's a bunch of bullshit. The Lakers had their chances, despite all that, to win on the court and couldn't get it done. No excuses required. Some of you Laker-haters seem to be giving the Mavs less credit than actual Laker fans.
Personally I'm not seeing that as "making excuses", but giving valid reasons as to why the Lakers underperformed in the post-season. There's a difference between losing in 7 games versus getting swept with homecourt advantage. I don't think that's taking away any credit from the Mavericks, just the fact that the Lakers played like they were deserving of winning the series. Nothing is given.

The big reason why the Lakers lost? Because the collective mentality shared between Bynum, Odom, Artest and Pau was "not giving a fuck". Their priorities and minds were somewhere else, which, in my opinion, is just as bad as being a bad basketball player.

It's the same shit we've riled on guys like Vince Carter for, it's no different here.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
thekad said:
Eric Gordon, Blake Griffin, Harrison Barnes (Wolves #1 pick) and Deandre Jordan. Clips are going to get the Blazers treatment if they get to playoffs next year.
They'll get Austin Rivers because they'll win the lottery with the Wolves pick. It's destiny.

Basically, the Hawks and Lakers switched mentalities this season. The Hawks now mildly care about the postseason whereas the Lakers now just want to go home.

They'll get Austin Rivers because they'll win the lottery with the Wolves pick. It's destiny.

Austin Rivers fucking sucks, Anthony Davis is ten times better.

reilo

Ninja Scooter said:
and do the Celtics win the title in 08 if Leon Powe doesn't attempt 20 free throws himself? This ret-con'ing to try and discredit a 2peat NBA champ is pathetic.
And the very next game Kobe had 18FTA. Or what about Fisher's 11FTA in Game 5? Or how about Odom's 16FTA in a 40 point blowout in Game 6? Who's retconning now?

reilo said:
Personally I'm not seeing that as "making excuses", but giving valid reasons as to why the Lakers underperformed in the post-season. There's a difference between losing in 7 games versus getting swept with homecourt advantage. I don't think that's taking away any credit from the Mavericks, just the fact that the Lakers played like they were deserving of winning the series. Nothing is given.

The big reason why the Lakers lost? Because the collective mentality shared between Bynum, Odom, Artest and Pau was "not giving a fuck". Their priorities and minds were somewhere else, which, in my opinion, is just as bad as being a bad basketball player.

It's the same shit we've riled on guys like Vince Carter for, it's no different here.

I don't see them as valid reasons. How would Bynum having late knee surgery be on his mind now? He was playing fine. Lamar had the "Lamar and Khloe" shit going on all year and had arguably the best season of his career. Now Ron Artest raffling away his ring and raising like $300,000 for charity is a negative? That's some Manute Bol-esque reach. It's all revisionist bullshit. This team was old and fatigued and it all came to a head when that combined with a team in Dallas that was playing lights out. Combine those things and you get a 4 game sweep. Why does there always have to be more to it? They lost to a hotter, better team.

reilo said:

Bynum seemed focused on basketball aside from the elbow.

reilo said:
And the very next game Kobe had 18FTA. Or what about Fisher's 11FTA in Game 5? Or how about Odom's 16FTA in a 40 point blowout in Game 6? Who's retconning now?

I'm not retconning. I'm not trying to reclaim the 08 Finals as a win. We lost. Period. You guys are the ones trying to find reasons to discredit a team that just won 2 straight championships, something only a handful of franchises have EVER done, and act like it was a fluke or lucky. Pathetic.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Basically, the Hawks and Lakers switched mentalities this season. The Hawks now mildly care about the postseason whereas the Lakers now just want to go hom.
I wonder if that's because the lakers franchise is just so spoiled? Certainly it's nice to have a team that goes deep into the playoffs as a top seed year after year, and to win back to back championships, but I respect playing your heart out a lot more than winning. You can't be expected to win all the time, but you can always hold your head up high if you tried to perform to the best of your abilities, regardless of the result.

LA has become complacent.

reilo

Ninja Scooter said:
I don't see them as valid reasons. How would Bynum having late knee surgery be on his mind now? He was playing fine. Lamar had the "Lamar and Khloe" shit going on all year and had arguably the best season of his career. Now Ron Artest raffling away his ring and raising like $300,000 for charity is a negative? That's some Manute Bol-esque reach. It's all revisionist bullshit. This team was old and fatigued and it all came to a head when that combined with a team in Dallas that was playing lights out. Combine those things and you get a 4 game sweep. Why does there always have to be more to it? They lost to a hotter, better team.
Old and fatigued huh? Now that's an excuse if I ever heard one.

How about this...

Jason Kidd is older than Derek Fisher.
Jason Terry is older than Kobe Bryant.
Shawn Marion is older than Lamar Odom.
Dirk Nowitzki is older than Pau Gasol.
Tyson Chandler is older than Andrew Bynum.

Puddles

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:

They beat the Mavs twice pretty convincingly in the second half of the season. WTF changed between those games and this series is what I want to know.

The Lakers looked like the team that won back to back titles for the first two quarters of the series, but that squad was never heard from again.

While I believe the Clips will be the ascendant team in LA for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure the pick will pan out that much nor am I sure we'll keep it. I keep hearing rumblings of the pick possibly going to the Suxers as part of an Iggy swap.

Also, if the Wolves get Count Bismack, I believe they will be a force with which the league must reckon.
I couldn't say that with a straight face. :( Sorry, Rodeo.

reilo said:
Old and fatigued huh? Now that's an excuse if I ever heard one.

How about this...

Jason Kidd is older than Derek Fisher.
Jason Terry is older than Kobe Bryant.
Shawn Marion is older than Lamar Odom.
Dirk Nowitzki is older than Pau Gasol.
Tyson Chandler is older than Andrew Bynum.

None of those guys have played an extra 70 games in the least 3 seasons. That shit catches up to you. Age in the NBA is more of a games played thing than a years alive thing. Kobe is only 32 and looks like he's pushing 40. You are smarter than that, Reilo.

Dirk is still in his prime because of having a quality body and quality conditioning, Pau is not probably for opposite reasons. Chandler took the last two years off and Bynum plays like he's 36.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Adam Blade said:
Also, if the Wolves get Count Bismack, I believe they will be a force with which the league must reckon.
I couldn't say that with a straight face. :( Sorry, Rodeo.
Yeah, they might crack 20 wins. Glen "I don't give a single fuck" Taylor will reward everyone with contract extensions.

Puddles

Banned
It's kind of sad, because Kobe used to be the one breaking all those "Youngest to 10k points" and "Youngest to 20k points" records.

Now he's going for "Youngest to look completely washed up without suffering a major injury".

Feels bad, man.

The Stealth Fox said:
No, but you've surely made me stupid by reading yours.

Arguing that the 2007 Phoenix Suns who won 61 games were better than the 2011 Mavs who won 57 is a stupid enough argument that it makes people who read it stupid? Is that what you're saying?

reilo

Ninja Scooter said:
None of those guys have played an extra 70 games in the least 3 seasons. That shit catches up to you. Age in the NBA is more of a games played thing than a years alive thing. Kobe is only 32 and looks like he's pushing 40. You are smarter than that, Reilo.
Yeah, okay. Every time somebody throws out a reason as to why the Lakers might have won or lost a game, you throw out a bullshit "but what about point xyz?" So all of the sudden me making the counter-point is not a valid argument, but yours is? The Lakers didn't give a fuck. It was evident the moment they lost Game 1 to the Hornets. That's not an excuse, it's just an observation.

Then again, it's funny seeing Lakers fans all of the sudden throw out the "old and fatigued" argument after they argued tirelessly that the Lakers would be atop of the world for a good three more seasons last summer.

thekad

Banned
Adam Blade said:
While I believe the Clips will be the ascendant team in LA for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure the pick will pan out that much nor am I sure we'll keep it. I keep hearing rumblings of the pick possibly going to the Suxers as part of an Iggy swap.

Who would give up a guaranteed top 4 pick in a great draft for Andre Iguodala... Yeah, never mind.

SUPREME1

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Basically, they have championships, but they don't have champions. They're top 5 in the league in terms of ability but they've been fortunate to win in 2009 and 2010 and have a horrible attitude towards the game.

Stupidest thing said in the last 24 hours?

I think so.

reilo said:
Yeah, okay. Every time somebody throws out a reason as to why the Lakers might have won or lost a game, you throw out a bullshit "but what about point xyz?" So all of the sudden me making the counter-point is not a valid argument? The Lakers didn't give a fuck. It was evident the moment they lost Game 1 to the Hornets. That's not an excuse, it's just an observation.

Then again, it's funny seeing Lakers fans all of the sudden throw out the "old and fatigued" argument after they argued tirelessly that the Lakers would be atop of the world for a good three more seasons last summer.

Yeah because no Laker fans were saying that they looked old and tired all season. that just came out of thin air this week. There is no counter point. I'm not going to say they didn't give a fuck. They coasted through the season, but they did that for parts of last season too and got it done, did they win a title while not giving a fuck? No. They just couldn't flip the switch anymore. It doesn't always have to do with some sensationalist TMZ bullshit drama people like to buy into. Maybe this team just wasn't good enough to win a title this year. Isn't that possible? Did your Blazers lose because LaMarcus Aldridge fucked ANdre Miller's wife? Or did they just get beat?

SUPREME1 said:
Stupidest thing said in the last 24 hours?

I think so.

Seriously. Laker haters seem to be having worse meltdowns than Laker fans. All logic going out the window. Take a deep breath, guys.

The Stealth Fox

It's hilarious because people had trouble selling tickets for Game 2 at Staples according to the BS report.

Worst fanbase ever (yes, worse than Miami).

The last thing Phil heard at Staples was a bunch of boos. Your team is garbage, your fanbase is garbage, and you have nothing to live for. Go watch shitty baseball or something.

diehard

Fleer
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Shouldnt all this lakers mourning be in the offseason thread? Just sayin'
What mourning? This shit is a celebration.
The Stealth Fox said:
It's hilarious because people had trouble selling tickets for Game 2 at Staples according to the BS report.
I've been calling out Laker bandwagon fans since ive been posting here and i've got nothing but shit for it.

The Stealth Fox said:

Man that anecdotal evidence consisting of one guy on StubHub is rock solid. Good detective work, Stealth.

Well, with such a disgusting year of Arizona sports, at least there was a happy alternate ending with the Lakers and Spurs getting eliminated early. The broom treatment is a nice touch.

The Stealth Fox said:
Booing Phil's last game at Staples? LAKERS TIME

Team deserved to be boo'd, last game or not. They played like garbage. Real fans would boo a team playing like that. Casual fans wouldn't give a fuck and just cheer regardless. So which is it? Are the Laker fans bandwagon or not? Or does it just depend on which bullshit argument you are trying to make?

Ninja Scooter said:
Team deserved to be boo'd, last game or not. They played like garbage. Real fans would boo a team playing like that. Casual fans wouldn't give a fuck and just cheer regardless. So which is it? Are the Laker fans bandwagon or not? Or does it just depend on which bullshit argument you are trying to make?

Its hard to direct boos at certain people.

Bynum and Gasol should be booed. They just gave up, and didn't even bother to play.

dIEHARD said:
Better than the Kate Upton gifs? That means a lot.

This needs to be thought about throughly.

reilo

Ninja Scooter said:
Yeah because no Laker fans were saying that they looked old and tired all season. that just came out of thin air this week. There is no counter point. I'm not going to say they didn't give a fuck. They coasted through the season, but they did that for parts of last season too and got it done, did they win a title while not giving a fuck? No. They just couldn't flip the switch anymore.
They weren't saying that last summer, that's for fucking sure. There were countless arguments as to how much of a window the Lakers had. Plenty said not long, and Lakers fans were irate saying they had at least another three seasons in them at a championship caliber level.

The fact that Lakers fans suddenly started realizing it halfway through the season is cool and all, but don't pretend that Lakers fans weren't all about "we told you they'd flip the switch! Threepeat, bitches! Plan the parade! All over my face!" after they reeled off like 18 of 20 wins after the ASG.
It doesn't always have to do with some sensationalist TMZ bullshit drama people like to buy into. Maybe this team just wasn't good enough to win a title this year. Isn't that possible?
Me saying they didn't give a fuck and had other priorities doesn't necessarily require a TMZ-based argument one bit. Plenty of teams with super high talent suddenly don't start giving a fuck when shit hits the fan. Just look at the Cavaliers before Lebron left. It's a domino effect.
Did your Blazers lose because LaMarcus Aldridge fucked ANdre Miller's wife? Or did they just get beat?
I haven't made that argument, anyhow. Pau turning into a bitch in the playoffs, is again, an observation, not an excuse nor argument. Lamar being a no-show in games 2 and 4, is again, an observation, not an excuse nor argument. We don't even have to go into Fisher's play and Artest's stupidity or Bynum's inconsistency.

You managed to get all of those guys to buy into the gameplan for two rings, what changed? None of those guys suffered any debilitating injuries -- although I will buy that Kobe is fatigued. But the others? I don't buy it.

Y'know Lakers fans you really should be heading to the offseason thread. We planning a party for you guys! We gonna discuss the NBA draft and possible trades you can make... not to mention coaching replacements (Mike Brown is available)...

Don't worry, I've warned the Jazz fans not to be mean.

The Stealth Fox

Ninja Scooter said:

It's not like anyone should be aware that Game 2 was likely his last game at Staples. You'd think they'd be cheering on Phil for giving them 5 championships.

Leave it to the bandwagoners to completely forget and downright dishonor history.

Laker fans are bandwagoners. You should know this. Horrible fanbase that I'd never want to be associated with.

SUPREME1

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:

The last thing Phil heard at Staples was a bunch of boos. Your team is garbage, your fanbase is garbage, and you have nothing to live for. Go watch shitty baseball or something.

Dr. Fox, chillax on the BS por favor.

People weren't booing Phil. The were booing the players, and deservedly so. You know that.

reilo

The Frankman said:
Y'know Lakers fans you really should be heading to the offseason thread. We planning a party for you guys! We gonna discuss the NBA draft and possible trades you can make... not to mention coaching replacements (Mike Brown is available)...

Don't worry, I've warned the Jazz fans not to be mean.
Kevin McHale is available, I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom