• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
First team all-D

Rondo
Kobe
LeBron
KG
Dwight

The guard selections are laughable, Kobe was a bad defender this season and Rondo is very average.
Kobe has always been incredibly overrated as a defender.

With this year, Kobe Bryant (and Kevin Garnett) join Gary Payton and Michael Jordan as the only players with 9 All-NBA 1st defensive team appearances.

Here are the players with 9 or more all defensive team appearances total:
Tim Duncan: 13 (8 first, 5 second)
Kevin Garnett: 11 (9 first, 2 second)
Kobe Bryant: 11 (9 first, 2 second)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: 11 (5 first, 6 second)
Scottie Pippen: 10 (8 first, 2 second)
Michael Jordan: 9 (9 first)
Gary Payton: 9 (9 first)
Bobby Jones: 9 (8 first, 1 second)
Dennis Johnson: 9 (6 first, 3 second)
Hakeem Olajuwon: 9 (5 first, 4 second)
Jason Kidd: 9 (4 first, 5 second)

I think Kobe's the worst defender out of that entire pool easily.

MPW

nba today podcast: garnett only picks fights with ppl he can beat up, not someone his own size, cheap bully

agree? disagree?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
MPW said:
nba today podcast: garnett only picks fights with ppl he can beat up, not someone his own size, cheap bully

agree? disagree?
Agree.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
And yeah, the all defense teams are typically a complete joke on the guard side (including guards/forwards)

Blackface

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Kobe has always been incredibly overrated as a defender.

With this year, Kobe Bryant (and Kevin Garnett) join Gary Payton and Michael Jordan as the only players with 9 All-NBA 1st defensive team appearances.

Here are the players with 9 or more all defensive team appearances total:
Tim Duncan: 13 (8 first, 5 second)
Kevin Garnett: 11 (9 first, 2 second)
Kobe Bryant: 11 (9 first, 2 second)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: 11 (5 first, 6 second)
Scottie Pippen: 10 (8 first, 2 second)
Michael Jordan: 9 (9 first)
Gary Payton: 9 (9 first)
Bobby Jones: 9 (8 first, 1 second)
Dennis Johnson: 9 (6 first, 3 second)
Hakeem Olajuwon: 9 (5 first, 4 second)
Jason Kidd: 9 (4 first, 5 second)

I think Kobe's the worst defender out of that entire pool easily.

HOW THE FUCK does he have more then Pippen and Jordan? How does anyone on that list have more then Pippen?

Kobe having more 1st team all defense than Scottie is hilarious and ridiculous. Kobe is a good defender when he wants to be but Scottie for the wing is simply the best. Another example of these meaningless awards being just that, meaningless.

LovingSteam said:
Kobe having more 1st team all defense than Scottie is hilarious and ridiculous. Kobe is a good defender when he wants to be but Scottie for the wing is simply the best. Another example of these meaningless awards being just that, meaningless.
The last time kobe played defense was when smush parker was the starting point guard

reilo

Kobe's averages of 22.8PPG, 3.4RPG, 3.3APG on 44.6FG% in the 2011 Playoffs (10 games) are his lowest since he averaged 21.1PPG, 4.5RPG, 4.4APG on 44.2FG% in 2000 Playoffs (22 games).

SUPREME1

Banned
reilo said:
Kobe's averages of 22.8PPG, 3.4RPG, 3.3APG on 44.6FG% in the 2011 Playoffs (10 games) are his lowest since he averaged 21.1PPG, 4.5RPG, 4.4APG on 44.2FG% in 2000 Playoffs (22 games).

Young Kobe is back!

Lakers were swept, threepeat over, Lakers suck, blow up the team and the next morning, the haters are STILL inventing new reasons to hate.

You guys already got what you wanted--the Lakers out the playoffs and yet you are STILL salty that there aren't a million meltdowns or whatnot.

If you want some meltdowns, I'm sure the 2008 Finals thread will suffice but not this year.

Sorry fellas.

:(

diehard

Fleer
Despite playing 1 less game, Rose has attempted 32 more fg's in the playoffs than #2 Kobe, and a silly 51 more attempts than Durant.

2 highest players in Usage %? Can anybody guess?

Bread

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Lakers were swept, threepeat over, Lakers suck, blow up the team and the next morning, the haters are STILL inventing new reasons to hate.

You guys already got what you wanted--the Lakers out the playoffs and yet you are STILL salty that there aren't a million meltdowns or whatnot.

If you want some meltdowns, I'm sure the 2008 Finals thread will suffice but not this year.

Sorry fellas.

The loss of hope shown in this post is worth just as much as any meltdown...

except TCB's meltdown we missed, that would have been one for the ages.

KingGondo

Banned
Scott Brooks said:
Brooks: "The officials do the best job they can do, but we have to be more aggressive. We can't settle for jump shots. We have to put ourselves in a position to get to the line."
Enjoy the offseason, Memphis. Scotty has officially activated FThunder mode.

reilo

thekad said:
I wonder how many threads we are going to go through these playoffs. We'll be on OT3 before the conference finals.
Depending on the outcome of tonight's games, I might have to request OT3 by tomorrow tonight. We were at 10,000 posts on Saturday morning before any games were played.

Bread said:
This is all I needed to see

Sarcasm, how does that work?

In the context of me saying

ryutaro's mama said:

Sorry fellas.

It's a sadface for all the vultures waiting for what isn't coming.

Try again though.

I'm sure some crumbs will appear at some point for you.

:)

That ":)" was sarcastic too if you are having trouble keeping up.

Jeff-DSA

AK's new ink. Work in progress...

AK.jpg

Yeah, I think it's WoW related.

Bread

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Sarcasm, how does that work?

In the context of me saying

It's a sadface for all the vultures waiting for what isn't coming.

Try again though.

I'm sure some crumbs will appear at some point for you.

:)

That ":)" was sarcastic too if you are having trouble keeping up.
Well I feel like I got egg on my face.

Puddles said:
They beat the Mavs twice pretty convincingly in the second half of the season. WTF changed between those games and this series is what I want to know.

In those two games? Terry couldn't shoot worth a shit.

The Terry matchup is always the key for the Lakers. That's the difference between those games and the game in Jan. too. If Terry goes off, it opens the floor. If Terry doesn't get looks, or shoots badly, the whole thing becomes more difficult for the Mavs.

Game in Jan - Even with Dirk fresh off the knee injury, Terry goes off for 22 pts. and the Mavs cruise to victory.

Game in early-March - Terry goes 6-1, and 1-5 for 13 pts. and Dallas loses by 5.

Game in late-March - Terry goes 2-9, and 0-3 for 5 pts. and Dallas gets blown out.

Doesn't seem like a mystery to me.

The only outlier to this is Game 2 of this series, where Terry had only 9 points, but Dallas still won, 93-81. But who could have predicted such fantastic play from everyone on the REST of the Dallas bench, with literally every player with a shirt on scoring at least two buckets? If Inflatable Mavs Man had been on the bench, he would have scored 4 pts. against the Lakers that night. Combine that bench production with Dirk being a monster in that game, and the Lakers lose.

reilo

Pristine_Condition said:
In those two games? Terry couldn't shoot worth a shit.

The Terry matchup is always the key for the Lakers. That's the difference between those games and the game in Jan. too. If Terry goes off, it opens the floor. If Terry doesn't get looks, or shoots badly, the whole thing becomes more difficult for the Mavs.

Game in Jan - Even with Dirk fresh off the knee injury, Terry goes off for 22 pts. and the Mavs cruise to victory.

Game in early-March - Terry goes 6-1, and 1-5 for 13 pts. and Dallas loses by 5.

Game in late-March - Terry goes 2-9, and 0-3 for 5 pts. and Dallas gets blown out.

Doesn't seem like a mystery to me.

The only outlier to this is Game 2 of this series, where Terry had only 9 points, but Dallas still won, 93-81. But who could have predicted such fantastic play from everyone on the REST of the Dallas bench, with literally every player with a shirt on scoring at least two buckets? If Inflatable Mavs Man had been on the bench, he would have scored 4 pts. against the Lakers that night. Combine that bench production with Dirk being a monster in that game, and the Lakers lose.
Actually, the funny thing is, a Mavs fan posted a chart earlier showing that when Terry goes off and scores a ton of points and plays a lot of minutes in the playoffs, the Mavericks tend to lose.

Jeff-DSA said:
Lakers in 8!
Actually, it would require 9 games ;)

ryutaro's mama said:

Sorry fellas.

Man leave them alone...No more Salt please...

Did Scottie get an all def award while in Portland?

SUPREME1

Banned
sf2fanatic said:
Man leave them alone...No more Salt please...

Did Scottie get an all def award while in Portland?

Didn't get an award for it, but he did get all defensive when asked why he couldn't win without
Phil

Jeff-DSA

ryutaro's mama said:
STOP.

BOOTLEGGING.

MY.

SHIT.

I'm talking years, not games. It's going to take the Lakers a good 8 years to fix their mess after Old Kobe's final years suck up all the cap space and he's preventing another big name from coming in.

reilo

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm talking years, not games. It's going to take the Lakers a good 8 years to fix their mess after Old Kobe's final years suck up all the cap space and he's preventing another big name from coming in.
Worst contract in 2013: Kobe Bryant's $30mil or Joe Johnson's $21mil?

Wait, scratch that. Pau Gasol makes $19mil that season.

thekad

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

Grandpa Kobe, Artest, and Blake are taking up 42 million in cap space in 2013 :lol

Did I mention a 33 year old Gasol is making another 20mil?

Bread

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I love that Artest, Walton, Fisher, and Blake will be taking up over 19 million of their cap space over the next 2 years, they have to get real lucky with a trade if they want to make a move that will make them contenders.

Puddles

Banned
reilo said:
Depending on the outcome of tonight's games, I might have to request OT3 by tomorrow tonight. We were at 10,000 posts on Saturday morning before any games were played.

What would happen if someone else just randomly made an NBA thread before you got around to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom