• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackface

Banned
Blackace said:
Vince Carter said himself that he didn't try as hard in Tor...

So yeah..

Also he had some fairly good teams in NJ and Orl...
Vince's exact quote was

"In years past, no. I was fortunate to have the talent ... you get spoiled when you're able to do a lot of things. You see that you don't have to work at it. Now, with the all the injuries, I have to work harder. I'm a little hungrier. Getting a fresh start has made me want to attack the basket."

He admitting not long after that it was just a PR statement. To get people excited in NJ. He said he regrets saying it and it has haunted him ever since. Vince said he was frustrated by his injuries during the last few seasons in Toronto, and wanted an excuse for his play. He went from putting up MVP numbers in his third season to declining each year until he got to NJ.

That said, I think he is partially full of shit. He clearly mailed in in in 04-05 and ruined his trade value. He went from averaging 15 PPG in Toronto during the first 20 games, to almost 28 for the last 56 in NJ. This is why he is hated here.

Blackface

Banned
etiolate said:
If we're counting international play, the man is already in the FIBA HoF and one of the legendary international players. Went to the playoffs on three different teams and is one of the greatest passing centers to ever play.

He also broke lots of ground for International players coming to the NBA.

giri

Blackface said:
Vince Carter is as deserving to make the HOF as Pau Gasol is. Vince in his prime was one of the best players in the world. He could have ended up as good as Kobe if not for his first devastating injury that he never really recovered from. There really was nothing a young Kobe could do a young Vince couldn't.

I wonder sometimes what would have happened if Vince ended up a good team that could content for a championship. Oh well, it is what it is.
Vince has never DONE anything though. Did he ever make it out of the first round with the raps? it's all could haves, would haves, should haves, but never DID with Vince. Thats the problem with the vince argument.

Black Mamba said:
Dude, he won Euro player of the year 7 times. You're comparing him strictly to the NBA, but the Hall of Fame is an international thing. How does a multiple MVP winner, champion in Europe, World, and NBA, Rookie of the Year, and Multiple Player of the year winner from Europe NOT get in the HoF? Are we suddenly going to ignore non-NBA stuff?

You want to bring up a hypothetical NBA HOF, fine. But it ain't, so play by the rules.

Him winning euro poty 7 times actually diminishes the accomplishment to me. So he comes to the NBA and isn't even top5 at his POSITION, but wins euro PLAYERoty 7 times? sounds like a tough award to win... so no, that doesn't really stack onto his "credentials". The team accomplishments he got with spain, i grant are valid.

THRILLH0

Banned
Blackface said:
Vince Michael Redd in his prime was one of the best players in the world. He could have ended up as good as Kobe Ray Allen if not for his first devastating injury that he never really recovered from. There really was nothing a young Kobe Ray Allen could do a young Vince Michael Redd couldn't.

I wonder sometimes what would have happened if Vince Michael Redd ended up a good team that could content for a championship. Oh well, it is what it is.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. These guys are all mortal. There's a difference between being capable of something and actually doing it for 10 years.

etiolate

Banned
Black Mamba said:
Pau is going to eclipse Vlade in every one of those categories and much sooner. he's done 13k points already.

Vlade's best season was 16-10-4-2. Pau did that with 20ppg. And with better FG% and FT%.

I'll admit Vlade has a case because of where he comes from, but his NBA career has really already been eclipsed by Pau Gasol. Plus Vlade never made an all-NBA team and I don't think he's ever been player of the month, either. And he has just 1 European player of the year awards. Truly, this accolade comparison isn't close.

Pau's career has already been better than Vlade's.

Now, a cigar smoking hall of fame...

He legitimized European big men in the NBA, meaning Pau even has a chance. He didn't put up bigger stats, but having Vlade on your team made your team better in many non-statistical ways. You can't really examine Vlade only on stats.

He was a starter on a Finals team in his rookie year. He was the anchor of the Lakers after the Magic era. He got traded to the Hornets and improved their win total by fourteen games, and brought them above a .500 team, going to the playoffs both of his years there. The year he left the Hornets, they missed the playoffs. When he went to the Kings, they jumped from habitual lottery team to six straight playoff appearances and four straight 50 win seasons.

All while trying to be a PR humanitarian against a genocidal war that was killing his friends and neighbors.

Resilient

Yo, in case you guys forgot or didn't realise. Lakers lost today on a Sunday. With this and Brandi on their side they really didn't stand a chance today.

giri

bluebird said:
Yo, in case you guys forgot or didn't realise. Lakers lost today on a Sunday. With this and Brandi on their side they really didn't stand a chance today.
What utter tripe.

Last year it was "i love dem sunday whites!'

Blackface

Banned
AShep said:
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. These guys are all mortal. There's a difference between being capable of something and actually doing it for 10 years.

Did you just compare Redd to Vince? Please kill yourself immediately.

THRILLH0

Banned
Blackface said:
Did you just compare Redd to Vince? Please kill yourself immediately.
No, I compared Michael Redd to Ray Allen. I hope your Canadian education was free boy otherwise your parents got fleeced worse than the Raps did when they made Bosh their franchise player.

Anth0ny

Cubsfan23 said:
Miami is favored tonight....

well considering the geezers only got 1 day of rest, it's understandable.

also, their only non geezer fucked up his elbow beyond belief (SHOW THAT REPLAY AGAIN ABC, I MISSED IT THE FIRST 5 TIMES)

giri said:
Vince has never DONE anything though. Did he ever make it out of the first round with the raps? it's all could haves, would haves, should haves, but never DID with Vince. Thats the problem with the vince argument.

Him winning euro poty 7 times actually diminishes the accomplishment to me. So he comes to the NBA and isn't even top5 at his POSITION, but wins euro PLAYERoty 7 times? sounds like a tough award to win... so no, that doesn't really stack onto his "credentials". The team accomplishments he got with spain, i grant are valid.
Vince has been out of the first round numerous times. He was a great player for two franchises and a good player for one other.

diehard

Fleer
AShep said:
No, I compared Michael Redd to Ray Allen. I hope your Canadian education was free boy otherwise your parents got fleeced worse than the Raps did when they made Bosh their franchise player.
Good posts man, you are learning quickly.

diehard

Fleer
wade_l_GIFSoup.com.gif

linsivvi

AShep said:

Winner.

YuriLowell said:
POS Wade he clearly wraps him up and pulls him down.

Should have been a flagrant 2.

Yeah because Rondo wasn't already riding all over him?

I'm not gonna defend the wrapdown by Wade. Just looks like he was thinking "GET THE FUCK OFF OF ME" but the way you're putting it is wrong.

ph33nix said:
Yeah because Rondo wasn't already riding all over him?

I'm not gonna defend the wrapdown by Wade. Just looks like he was thinking "GET THE FUCK OFF OF ME" but the way you're putting it is wrong.

Funny because if the tables were turned everyone would be jumping Rondo saying how dirty he is.

I'm not saying he tried to dislocate his elbow but that trip was clearly intentional.

giga

Haha, Wade like the bitch he is just dropped to the floor after he saw the ref was watching. Always looking for a call.

YuriLowell said:
Funny because if the tables were turned everyone would be jumping Rondo saying how dirty he is.

I'm not saying he tried to dislocate his elbow but that trip was clearly intentional.

I can't argue with that...but I personally don't call it a dirty play no matter who it came from. To me it just looks like typical rough playground ball...I think Rondo was being so physical with Wade (fine with me, I prefer that kind of ball) that Wade was just like FUCK YOU BITCH and while I think the takedown was most definitely intentional, I don't think he meant to do it like that. I do think it's pathetic that Wade is apparently the best goon on our team.

Now if you ask me, Bynum's elbow to Barea was clearly a dirty play. Damn man, I'm all for hard ball but that was just wrong on a human level.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to tonight's game. If Boston wins I'm going to pretty much be shitting my pants 24/7 until game 5...

It'll be interesting to see if there's retribution though. Wouldn't be surprised to see a super hard Shaq foul...

This series feels like the 90s again. love it.

ph33nix said:
I can't argue with that...but I personally don't call it a dirty play no matter who it came from. To me it just looks like typical rough playground ball...I think Rondo was being so physical with Wade (fine with me, I prefer that kind of ball) that Wade was just like FUCK YOU BITCH and while I think the takedown was most definitely intentional, I don't think he meant to do it like that. I do think it's pathetic that Wade is apparently the best goon on our team.

Now if you ask me, Bynum's elbow to Barea was clearly a dirty play. Damn man, I'm all for hard ball but that was just wrong on a human level.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to tonight's game. If Boston wins I'm going to pretty much be shitting my pants 24/7 until game 5...

I agree that the Bynum's elbow was very dirty and classless.

I don't want to see any retribution. I would rather we funnel our energy into beating you guys.

Blackface

Banned
giri said:

You clearly just started watching basketball. Holy fuck.

The Raptors and Sixers were the best two teams in the Eastern Conference in 01. They ended up facing each other in the semi-finals. The series went to 7 games, where Vince and AI, arguably two of the top 5 players in the league, went at each-other. It came down to one single shot with the clock winding down, it was missed and the Raptors lost. Whoever won that series was a favorite to make it to the finals. Which the Philly did easily.

He took the Nets past the first round numerous times. In fact, I don't think Vince Carter ever lost in the playoffs to a team that didn't end up going to the finals.

The fact is, Vince took average teams to places most players could never ever take them. Kobe demanded a trade the last time he was stuck with a team as bad as those Carter had to play with. He was unlucky enough to play during one of the most stacked era's of basketball. The early 2000's Lakers, Pistons, Spurs and Cav's.

He also led the US Olympic team to a Gold medal. Something virtually no player can even claim.

Blackface

Banned
AShep said:

You embarrassed yourself with an awful argument and you are commenting on another persons education. That is almost as bad as Ben Gordon being your teams franchise player for half a decade.

diehard

Fleer
Blackface said:
You embarrassed yourself with an awful argument and you are commenting on another persons education. That is almost as bad as Ben Gordon being your teams franchise player for half a decade.
He compared a guy that was hobbled by injures that could have been great, to a HOF player to, pretty much exactly what you did.

Ben Gordon made the 2nd round.

YuriLowell said:
The more interesting fight is ilgauskas vs Kristic.

Kristic would definitely win that one. I'm surprised Ilgauskas can even move his legs by now

...he better not be starting tonight

Blackface

Banned
dIEHARD said:
He compared a guy that was hobbled by injures that could have been great, to a HOF player to, pretty much exactly what you did.

Ben Gordon made the 2nd round.

Seriously, I knew a lot of NBAGAF was new to basketball, but holy fuck, this is straight up sad.

diehard

Fleer
Blackface said:
Seriously, I knew a lot of NBAGAF was new to basketball, but holy fuck, this is straight up sad.
I've been watching basketball before there was even a thought to make the Raptors, so be careful who you say that to.

Blackface

Banned
dIEHARD said:
I've been watching basketball before there was even a thought to make the Raptors, so be careful who you say that to.

You were clearly not if you didn't know Vince made it to the second round of the playoffs with the Raptors. Considering it was nationally televised and regarded as one of the best series in playoff basketball. It also got huge ratings.

He may not be Kobe, but come the hell on.

Mest30

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I laughed at idiots that said the Bulls would win this series easily or in 4 or 5 or that it was over after game 3(Rose took a ton of shots then as well). The Hawks have a lot of talent, I am just disappointed that Horford isn't really a factor in this series and it's even.

I admit that I was one of those idiots. I had no faith in the Hawks playing consistent but they've played two great games and weren't terrible in game 2. I still think the Bulls win the series even if it goes 7 but now I wonder how formidable of an opponent we'd be against Miami or Boston, though I'd much rather see the Celtics.

One thing has bothered me this entire series so far. Korver cannot guard anyone on Atlanta. At what point would a coach not put him in, especially when he's struggling with his shot, because Teauge and Crawford are guaranteed points when Korver defends them. A lot of the defensive breakdowns late in the game where guys helping Korver. I don't know, I know you need him on the court because of his potential to hit shots but to me, his negatives are outweighing his positives late in the game.

On the whole Rose taking too many shots argument, I have no problem with that. My problem with Rose was the two late turnovers. I can live with a drive to the rim, even if the shot is missed, but careless turnovers with less than two minutes left in a close game are inexcusable and difficult to recover from.

Blackface

Banned
ph33nix said:
trax I like you but I can't get over the fact that your username is blackface

someone remind me of the birth of that?

I was talking to Blackace and I kept calling him Blackface.

So he shit on me.

YuriLowell said:
Have you been watching Kristic play.

Id say it go 12 rounds.

Well Ilgauskas is essentially a giant Lithuanian tree trunk that can shoot the basketball (except no, not really anymore) so Kristic would just have to keep chipping away for 12 rounds. He can't be that bad.

Also, I'm not sure if Bosh's admission of getting nervous for game 3 is good. Either it taught him something for the rest of his career or we have a giant vagina at the 4 forever :( like...isn't that shit supposed to get you pumped the fuck up? I thought our team liked being on the road...not this dude, apparently

they're sissies if they get fazed again. you're supposed to turn that hostile environment into positive energy, not a 6 point 5 rebound performance

Blackface

Banned
ph33nix said:
Well Ilgauskas is essentially a giant Lithuanian tree trunk that can shoot the basketball (except no, not really anymore) so Kristic would just have to keep chipping away for 12 rounds. He can't be that bad.

Also, I'm not sure if Bosh's admission of getting nervous for game 3 is good. Either it taught him something for the rest of his career or we have a giant vagina at the 4 forever :( like...isn't that shit supposed to get you pumped the fuck up? I thought our team liked being on the road...not this dude, apparently

they're sissies if they get fazed again. you're supposed to turn that hostile environment into positive energy, not a 6 point 5 rebound performance

Like I said, Bosh seems to have mentally checked out all season. He is not the same player he was during his last season for the Raptors.

I don't see him driving non-stop, dunking on people, blocking shots, and not giving a fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ1kEfIdDoc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK5YdJTfXsY&feature=related
^ That Bosh is nowhere to be seen for Miami.

Blackface said:
Like I said, Bosh seems to have mentally checked out all season. He is not the same player he was during his last season for the Raptors.

I don't see him driving non-stop, dunking on people, blocking shots, and not giving a fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ1kEfIdDoc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK5YdJTfXsY&feature=related
^ That Bosh is nowhere to be seen for Miami.

Yeah, it sucks. I can see why you get annoyed with ignorant Bosh comments...he's the one guy we got, whose abilities that we don't even try maximize one bit. But honestly, on a team with LBJ and Wade, it's better off that way.

It's not his fault that we don't call any plays for him and that he's basically limited to shooting mid-range shots...but I do think sometimes when he has space to drive, he won't take it and it annoys me. I think he'll become better at his role as time went on; just look at how Odom has matured and evolved as a 3rd/whatever wheel.

But hey, Bosh should have seen it coming. We basically used Michael Beasley in the same way...but if we didn't get Bosh we weren't going to get LeBron. So I will take it as it is.

Derwind

Blackface said:
You were clearly not if you didn't know Vince made it to the second round of the playoffs with the Raptors. Considering it was nationally televised and regarded as one of the best series in playoff basketball. It also got huge ratings.

Hey dude relax, it was a second round exit, nothing really worth noting IMO.

And to be perfectly honest, I hated that series because vince mailed that shit in by going to his stupid ass graduation instead of closing out an NBA series.

There is nothing in particular I'd actually brag about.

I know I wanted to erase that shit from my memory...

Blackface

Banned
Derwind said:
Hey dude relax, it was a second round exit, nothing really worth noting IMO.

And to be perfectly honest, I hated that series because vince mailed that shit in by going to his stupid ass graduation instead of closing out an NBA series.

There is nothing in particular I'd actually brag about.

I know I wanted to erase that shit from my memory...

I don't. it was one of the greatest playoff series I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DmhvtI7crY

A video the NBA did on the series it self.

It was some of the best basketball I have ever watched in my entire life.

Saying Vince mailed it in is flat out wrong. He busted his ass and went blow for blow with the MVP of the league.

Puddles

Banned
Blackface said:

That was the best series of the entire 2001 playoffs.

ph33nix said:
Yeah, it sucks. I can see why you get annoyed with ignorant Bosh comments...he's the one guy we got, whose abilities that we don't even try maximize one bit. But honestly, on a team with LBJ and Wade, it's better off that way.

It's not his fault that we don't call any plays for him and that he's basically limited to shooting mid-range shots...but I do think sometimes when he has space to drive, he won't take it and it annoys me. I think he'll become better at his role as time went on; just look at how Odom has matured and evolved as a 3rd/whatever wheel.

But hey, Bosh should have seen it coming. We basically used Michael Beasley in the same way...but if we didn't get Bosh we weren't going to get LeBron. So I will take it as it is.
Bosh was playing a lot better at the end of the season/76s series. The guy just hasn't shown up for this series. Maybe it's due to the ball being much more in the hands of wade and lebron or maybe it's due to him being a nervous player. If he shows up tonight, though, this series will be over.

The Stealth Fox

There's no way for the Lakers to lose this series, right Black Mamba?

WHERE ARE YOUR ADVANCED METRICS NOW?

So, if the Lakers move to Seattle, will they get all their banners too? Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a great Sonics player.

diehard

Fleer
Blackface said:

uhhh he made a comment about Bosh to which you retorted with Ben Gordon. Bosh never made it to the 2nd round.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Bosh was playing a lot better at the end of the season/76s series. The guy just hasn't shown up for this series. Maybe it's due to the ball being much more in the hands of wade and lebron or maybe it's due to him being a nervous player. If he shows up tonight, though, this series will be over.

Well I know this sounds bizarre, but I would rather have the Heat win this in 7 than 5 or 6 or whatever. In order for the team to become champions they have to go through hell...pretty much most champions, even the teams in the midst of a dynasty, had to go through a game 7 or trials by fire.

And I don't mind that Bosh came out and admit that he was a pussy. It's all about how he responds to it, and we'll find out tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom