• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2 Cool

Gully State said:
How is Steph not a traditional PG? I know most people don't pay attention to the warriors but if you watch him play, you can see that he definitely is a good distributor. Personally I think he's got steve Nash potential

Stephen Curry's best asset is as a shooter. If he was taller, he would have been SG coming out of college. Does he have the potential to be a very good pg? Maybe, hard to say since I don't watch enough of him, but 6ast/3to is impressing no one right now as a distributor.

The Nash comparison I've heard once or twice, but outside of his size and shooting ability, I don't think it has any merits yet. I'm very interested where his career goes since I'm a fan, but I don't think OKC immediately improves with that swap. The other factors that go into the comparison are defense and Westbrook's driving ability make OKC more versatile than a primarily shooting PG, who's learning on the fly.

Gabyskra

Banned
J2 Cool said:
Stephen Curry's best asset is as a shooter. If he was taller, he would have been SG coming out of college. Does he have the potential to be a very good pg? Maybe, hard to say since I don't watch enough of him, but 6ast/3to is impressing no one right now as a distributor.

That's because he plays with Monta Ellis. Ellis plays like 1/3 of the time as the PG.

Doomsayer

I'm kind of confused as to what some of you think a real PG should be.

You all shit on Rondo for passing too much and you all shit on Rose and Westbrook(rightfully so) for taking too many shots.

Steve Nash and CP3 are the prototypical PG's, right? Nash and CP3 also have a way of disappearing for stretches. I think Curry will develop into a great PG because he is a natural passer. Not to mention GS has no one down low that he can drop it to for easy buckets.

Shed some light on what a true PG is, please?

J2 Cool said:

The Nash comparison I've heard once or twice, but outside of his size and shooting ability, I don't think it has any merits yet. I'm very interested where his career goes since I'm a fan, but I don't think OKC immediately improves with that swap. The other factors that go into the comparison are defense and Westbrook's driving ability make OKC more versatile than a primarily shooting PG, who's learning on the fly.
The fact that Curry actually understands the pick and roll makes him a prototypical PG in the NBA. The Rose and Westbrooks in the league are using screens for one purpose.

Curry possesses the BBIQ and patience to command the offense when he needs to do it. I honestly think he is being wasted a bit in that Warrior system. The kid is a talented shooter and distributor who would thrive in a more structured system. Give him a post presence and Curry would be considered one of the top PGs in the league.

Yea, I want him on my team.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Dwane Casey and Lawrence Frank are Rockets finalists along w/third finalist Houston Chronicle's @richardjustice named Monday: Kevin McHale
Somebody please give Dwane Casey a job. He deserves it.

Doomsayer

dIEHARD said:
Stockon, truest PG of all time.

I mean in this era. PGs seem to be different in this era of Ball. I think we may have to stomach watching the Rose/Westbrook type of PGs for a long time. :|

I still think Curry will be an excellent PG

JoeFu

Banned
Rodeo Clown said:
Somebody please give Dwane Casey a job. He deserves it.

He's an assistant on the Mavs right now! He's the defensive coordinator, and has been doing a good job. While it would be nice for him to be a head coach I like him here in Dallas!

Derwind

Doomsayer said:

You all shit on Rondo for passing too much and you all shit on Rose and Westbrook(rightfully so) for taking too many shots.

Steve Nash and CP3 are the prototypical PG's, right? Nash and CP3 also have a way of disappearing for stretches. I think Curry will develop into a great PG because he is a natural passer. Not to mention GS has no one down low that he can drop it to for easy buckets.

A true PG is meant to get his teammates involved in every single possession. He's supposed to understand when to pass & when to shoot. He's supposed to have full court awareness and not just tunnel vision towards the rim. He's supposed to have the best BBIQ on his team. He's supposed to be able to keep his dribble and not turnover the ball a bunch of times.

We shit on Rondo because he doesn't make smart passes at times, turns the shit over, even costing him the game because he got assist happy instead of doing whats good for the team and is just looking to rack up his stat sheet. But there are games where he's fucking brilliant and knows to drive the ball in or take a shot at the right times and give KG/Pierce/Ray Allen the ball in their sweet spots.

We shit on Rose & Westbrook because they are false PG's, they play like SG's. But then they have both have times when they also know when to shoot and when to give it up. They draw the D to them opening up Noah/Deng or Perk/KD for easy shots...we want more of that....

Heroism is not a team playing attitude IMO... and when a PG goes Hero mode I can't help but just shake my head in frustration...

I mean name me one Iverson-esque performer PG that won a championship? Not many I think....

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Derwind said:
A true PG is meant to get his teammates involved in every single possession. He's supposed to understand when to pass & when to shoot. He's supposed to have full court awareness and not just tunnel vision towards the rim. He's supposed to have the best BBIQ on his team. He's supposed to be able to keep his dribble and not turnover the ball a bunch of times.
Enough about why Westbrook is a terrible pointguard already!

Doomsayer

Derwind said:

We shit on Rondo because he doesn't make smart passes at times and is just looking to rack up his stat sheet. But there are games where he's fucking brilliant and knows to drive the ball in or take a shot at the right times and give KG/Pierce/Ray Allen the ball in there sweet spots.

We shit on Rose & Westbrook because they are false PG's, they play like SG's. But then they have both have times when they also know when to shoot and when to give it up. The draw the D to them opening up Noah/Deng or Perk/KD for easy shots...we want more of that....

I mean name me one Iverson-esque performer PG that won a championship? Not many I think....

Ok, that's one of ya'll. For the record I feel the same way. I just think that the way we are going right now we are going to see a lot of Rose/Westbrook PGs in the league. It isn't very encouraging to say the least.

I think Mike Conley is a pretty good PG too, though. He makes good decisions with the ball and doesn't dominate the shot clock only to pass it with about 9 seconds remaining.

Ninja Scooter said:
Do you guys think it's possible to use Bynum as a trade chip to get into the Top 5 of the draft?

Scoot, who the hell would you get in this shittastic draft? Seriously. Bynum is valuable we can't just give him away from nothing.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ninja Scooter said:
Do you guys think it's possible to use Bynum as a trade chip to get into the Top 5 of the draft?
No, not even this one.

Jeff-DSA

Think of it this way, the PG is supposed to be the quarterback of the team. He's supposed to look to get the ball to his teammates, but when needed he can take off. Westbrick and Rose are like QBs who drop back, pretend to go through their progression, and take off running. It works for a while, but it's ultimately tough to build an offense around.

Run first QBs don't win Super Bowls...

Derwind

Doomsayer said:
Ok, that's one of ya'll. For the record I feel the same way. I just think that the way we are going right now we are going to see a lot of Rose/Westbrook PGs in the league. It isn't very encouraging to say the least.

I think Mike Conley is a pretty good PG too, though. He makes good decisions with the ball and doesn't dominate the shot clock only to pass it with about 9 seconds remaining.

Well except for that one play last night.

I think it was double-OT, the Grizz were up and Conley had enough time on the clock to close out the game.

Instead of killing time or calling a time-out, he jacks a three, misses and ends up frustrating his coach screaming for a timeout on the sideline.

I just face palmed at that moment....

The thing is though, despite what people may think, these players are young and still have time to develop into better players than they already are. Maybe even learn to understand the game a bit more and get their teammates involved in key possessions.

Jeff-DSA said:
Think of it this way, the PG is supposed to be the quarterback of the team. He's supposed to look to get the ball to his teammates, but when needed he can take off. Westbrick and Rose are like QBs who drop back, pretend to go through their progression, and take off running. It works for a while, but it's ultimately tough to build an offense around.

Exactly! Most appropriate NFL reference in the NBA-age!!!

Doomsayer said:

Scoot, who the hell would you get in this shittastic draft? Seriously. Bynum is valuable we can't just give him away from nothing.
I was gonna say to get a young blue chip PG since that is where the league is headed, but looking over the prospects...not a fan of Irving, fuck Jimmer, and Kemba is not a true point. Brandon Knight is probably the only guy that interests me.

Doomsayer

Derwind said:
Well except for that one play last night.

I think it was double-OT, the Grizz were up and Conley had enough time on the clock to close out the game.

Instead of killing time or calling a time-out, he jacks a three, misses and ends up frustrating his coach screaming for a timeout on the sideline.

I just face palmed at that moment....

The thing is though, despite what people may think, these players are young and still have time to develop into better players than they already are. Maybe even learn to understand the game a bit more and get their teammates involved in key possessions.

Exactly! Most appropriate NFL reference in the NBA-age!!!

I seen that play, but I chalk it up to being young and inexperienced. I guarantee you that he will learn from that.

Of all the 1/2 tweeners, if you must, I think Rose has the best chance of learning how to be a true PG. I don't know why, I just feel that way.

Ninja Scooter said:
I was gonna say to get a young blue chip PG since that is where the league is headed, but looking over the prospects...not a fan of Irving, fuck Jimmer, and Kemba is not a true point. Brandon Knight is probably the only guy that interests me.

I feel like Knight has bust written all over him. It depends a lot on if our new coach is disciple of Phil and continues to use the triangle. If he does, I feel like a PG that can pass and hit 3's is really all we need.

I think Irving would work pretty well with this group of guys. Why don't you like him?

Barrage

I completely support Dwight leaving Orlando if he does it in a respectful way. No Decision-Specials, no Trade demands to Front Office, no going through the motions until the Off-Season.

Just play hard, and leave when your contract is up.

The more interesting question is...where does he want to go? Does he want a bigger market, a chance for a ring, or a little bit of both?

It won't happen, because the Franchise has destroyed all of it's appeal to FAs through decades of mismanagement, but if Dwight signed with the Clippers they would be a dynasty.

Griffin/Gordon/Howard? End the league.

giri

Doomsayer said:

They DO?

Rodeo Clown said:
In case you guys didn't know, with the Vikings announcing their stadium deal out in Arden Hills, TWolves death watch is on. There won't be any real public outcry when Glen Taylor announces he's selling to some group from San Jose or Seattle, though.

Sucks, man.

Doomsayer

They most certainly do. I love Nash, but sometimes his offense is non-existent. Paul on the other hand just has a way of being too passive and not doing his thing. It doesn't happen often but it does from time to time.

giri

Doomsayer said:
They most certainly do. I love Nash, but sometimes his offense is non-existent. Paul on the other hand just has a way of being too passive and not doing his thing. It doesn't happen often but it does from time to time.
They DO?

I can keep this going until you correct your self btw.

I'd love to see nash shoot more too, but only because he's so good at it, but his preference is always to have all 5 people on his team be a threat, not just him.

Jeff-DSA

giri said:
They DO?

I can keep this going until you correct your self btw.

I'd love to see nash shoot more too, but only because he's so good at it, but his preference is always to have all 5 people on his team be a threat, not just him.

Nash should definitely put up a few more shots. I think the Jazz could have won a title if Stockton would have shot more in his career, especially during the playoffs. He was one of the best shooters I've ever seen, but he just didn't shoot enough. I also never once saw him nor his shot affected by pressure.

SUPREME1

Banned
LeBalding
Wade
Bosh

Melo
Amare
Dwight

If the Lakeshow doesn't end up with Dwight, I think I'd root for him to land in Nueva York.

If they could then add two really good perimeter defenders who could hit open 3s, it'd be a wrap.

<Salary cap, how does it work?>

Doomsayer said:
I seen that play, but I chalk it up to being young and inexperienced. I guarantee you that he will learn from that.

Of all the 1/2 tweeners, if you must, I think Rose has the best chance of learning how to be a true PG. I don't know why, I just feel that way.

I feel like Knight has bust written all over him. It depends a lot on if our new coach is disciple of Phil and continues to use the triangle. If he does, I feel like a PG that can pass and hit 3's is really all we need.

I think Irving would work pretty well with this group of guys. Why don't you like him?
Every time I watch him play he reminds me of Boobie Gibson.

Vestal

Ok so game 5 miami vs boston.. Do you start Rondo?

I ask because looking at game 4, I personally would not start him, I would give more minutes to West. I say that because, boston is not getting enough transition opportunities to justify having him stand at the top of the key with 5 feet between him and a defender and not taking a shot because he is such a bad shooter and now for the most part a 1 armed passer. It makes him a liability on the Halfcourt allowing maimi to clog up passing lanes inside to garnett and double team more effectively.

He really needs to get his shooting straightend out if he is going to be the future of the Celtics, if not he will begin to slow down due to age and just become inefective in the NBA

Barrage said:
I completely support Dwight leaving Orlando if he does it in a respectful way. No Decision-Specials, no Trade demands to Front Office, no going through the motions until the Off-Season.

Just play hard, and leave when your contract is up.

No fucking way ORL lets him walk without getting anything in return.

SUPREME1 said:
<Salary cap, how does it work?>

We won't know till there's a new CBA.

Ninja Scooter said:
i can't remember the last time a point guard lead a team to a ring. tony parker in 07?
put me in that old boat where bigs win championship. if we're gonna trade bynum or pau, i hope its a dwight calibur player

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Jeff-DSA said:

This is true 95% percent of the time but it's really depends on the team. Look at the 90s pistons, which imo is what this young bulls team can become with some work, they won 2 chips. Compare Isiah's numbers with Rose and you will see how similar they are during their early years. I think if Rose gets more help he will pass more, he doesn't strike me as a selfish player despite the number of shots hes taken.

Also Rose isn't your typical PG, he's a freak physically.

PS westbrook has no excuse, the guy has an MVP candidate and the NBA leading scorer on his team.

viakado said:
i can't remember the last time a point guard lead a team to a ring. tony parker in 07?
put me in that old boat where bigs win championship. if we're gonna trade bynum or pau, i hope its a dwight calibur player
Doesn't have to be franchise guy or THE man, but we desperately need an infusion of speed and athleticism in the backcourt. Someone who can slash, create and penetrate. Our advantage of being bigger than everyone else turned into a weakness quick against Dallas because we were too slow to rotate and guard anyone.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
giri said:
Sucks, man.
Given that Glen Taylor has really done everything he can to alienate everyone who might try to like the Wolves, it's understandable.

I mean, look at this halfhearted renovation effort: Taylor wants the public to foot the bill for all $155M to renovate Target Center. It's a joke. It's not a real attempt at getting the place renovated. These are the kinds of tries you see before the owner then washes his hands of the situation. He can say, "Well, I tried to get Target Center renovated, and you people didn't want to pay for it, so good day, sir," and sell the team to somebody who then also goes through the motions of getting an arena done, and ultimately moves the team. It really feels like that's where this is headed.

SUPREME1

Banned
Rodeo Clown said:
Given that Glen Taylor has really done everything he can to alienate everyone who might try to like the Wolves, it's understandable.

I mean, look at this halfhearted renovation effort: Taylor wants the public to foot the bill for all $155M to renovate Target Center. It's a joke. It's not a real attempt at getting the place renovated. These are the kinds of tries you see before the owner then washes his hands of the situation. He can say, "Well, I tried to get Target Center renovated, and you people didn't want to pay for it, so good day, sir," and sell the team to somebody who then also goes through the motions of getting an arena done, and ultimately moves the team. It really feels like that's where this is headed.

Anaheim T-pups of Los Angeles, CA, United States of America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth...

...has a nice ring to it.

Bread

Banned
Vestal said:
Ok so game 5 miami vs boston.. Do you start Rondo?

I ask because looking at game 4, I personally would not start him, I would give more minutes to West. I say that because I'm a Heat fan.
fixed

Derwind

Mike Brown might get the head coach job for Warriors. Is that a good or bad thing?

mbrownjk.jpg

Jeff-DSA said:

I don't like this analogy at all.

Though I wouldn't say it's much better, I would say a more relevant one would be a quarterback that spreads the ball along going for the smart options instead of just airing it deep all the time.

Sure a balance would be nice but if he has the arm to throw the lower percentage pass that makes a big impact in the game, he shouldn't withhold it.

It all depends on the personnel too, watch Rose tonight go out of his way to pass the ball and the Bulls be tied at halftime.

Jeff-DSA

Nelo Ice said:
five guys burgers destroy in-n-outs imo

We've got both near me. Five Guys is good, but inconsistent. In-N-Out is good AND very consistent. Well, the fries really suck at In-N-Out. They're trying to cook them too fast and their oil temp is too low. You get fries with a terrible texture.

Anyone ever ate at Garibaldis in Illinois????

I am old so it probably doesn't exist anymore nor am I sure if it was widespread in the state but it was ranked the second best pizza place in Illinois and it was amazing.

Huge slices and frozen lemonade and you are good to go.

Vestal

Bread said:

right because u didn't see Rondo standing at the Top of the Key with a defender not even within 5 feet of him a few times?

Not to mention him having issues with the ball since he can't really much with his left?

SUPREME1

Banned
Nelo Ice said:
five guys burgers destroy in-n-outs imo

Never had it. I've heard of them a few times over the last year, here on GAF as a matter of fact...

Need to hit them up one day. Know of any locations in Los Angeles?

diehard

Fleer
Jeff-DSA said:
We've got both near me. Five Guys is good, but inconsistent. In-N-Out is good AND very consistent. Well, the fries really suck at In-N-Out. They're trying to cook them too fast and their oil temp is too low. You get fries with a terrible texture.
Apollo burgers and the one place like them > all.

Sumidor

SUPREME1 said:
Compared to what other fast food chains?
Around here, I think Burgerville is better. I think Dick's in Seattle is better, also Shake Shack in New York.

Don't get me wrong, In-N-Out isn't bad, and it's miles better than McDonald's and Burger King. I just don't think it's all that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom